Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don't they play music instead of 3 jingles? They read exerpts from old newspapers? They could recite spicy bits from the "scandals and rumours" page on bigfooty?

There is heaps of things better then pretending that there is news and having nothing to tell.

I know a team that had 5 picks in the top 30 two years in a row.

In 2004 they picked up:
  • Pick 2: Jarryd Roughhead
  • Pick 5: Lance Franklin
  • Pick 7: Jordan Lewis
  • Pick 21: Tom Murphy
  • Pick 26: Matthew Little
But then in 2005 they picked up:
  • Pick 3: Xavier Ellis
  • Pick 6: Beau Dowler
  • Pick 14: Grant Birchall
  • Pick 18: Max Bailey
  • Pick 22: Beau Muston
One haul was era-defining. The other much less so.
2005 we were a bit unlucky with Max Bailey and Beau Muston both cruelled by injury. So happy to see Big Max finally get a premiership medal - I think at one stage after 3 or 4 years he had totalled more knee reco’s than actual games played 😕

Meh. I don’t believe there’s actually an issue here. I think the deal has likely been settled for a long time. It seems that WC don’t have downstream trades being impacted by this delay, so I think we’re playing this game to give the impression that WC is a hardball negotiator, even on the long-settled deals that have no dependencies. Yada, yada.

It’s a show to assist WC in their conversations about trades that haven’t been agreed for over two months.

Meh. I don’t believe there’s actually an issue here. I think the deal has likely been settled for a long time. It seems that WC don’t have downstream trades being impacted by this delay, so I think we’re playing this game to give the impression that WC is a hardball negotiator, even on the long-settled deals that have no dependencies. Yada, yada.

It’s a show to assist WC in their conversations about trades that haven’t been agreed for over two months.
Perhaps, if the trade was agreed a couple of months ago, our first would probably have been around pick 8-10, not 14.

Yeah it's been agreed to for months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 14 in a strong draft with a deep first round is a very good offer for a 29 year old KPD with a history of back issues and who has never played more than 19 games in a season over 10 years.

West Coast need that young talented player that pick 14 will get them a lot more than we need Barrass after Frost finding career best form at FB and adding Battle as a FA.

If the trade falls through we'll hardly be upset that we're stuck with pick 14. Whereas they'll be stuck with a player who has already mentally and emotionally checked out from their club and will be none too pleased that they're forced to stay at least another year on the contract he was promised by their organisation would be increased after COVID cutbacks.

Allegedly, Sydney offered their picks 19 and 22 to Gold Coast for pick 13 but GC want to deal with Collingwood as part of the Noble trade.
We could offer the same deal with our pick 14, for 19 and 22.
Then we trade 19 and F2 to West Coast. They get their first rounder plus an F2. We would have Barrass plus pick 22.

We got Battle for free and I don’t think the trade floated is too unreasonable. Maybe we get a later pick back this year in a stronger draft. Barrass fixes the for example Jesse Hogan match up

Perhaps, if the trade was agreed a couple of months ago, our first would probably have been around pick 8-10, not 14.

I raised this point somewhere else on these boards about two months ago and an ITK responded that our late season performance has no impact one what’s been agreed. So, I’ve been low stress since. If it didn’t happen, then I would be surprised but not disappointed. I’m pretty comfortable that our list management knows what they want and if Barrass doesn’t come to Waverley/Dingley (how much is that going to suck when we don’t say Waverley anymore?) then he’s not as critical to our plans as the media story may have indicated.

In other words, if we want him then we’ll get him. I don’t think we would let an important piece of the puzzle go missing because we didn’t want to give up a draft pick for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back