Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They also lost their 3rd highest goal kicker for the year and a best 22 player in Kennedy.

I watch the Blues every week because of my Mrs and they don’t have the sort of team that can lose too much depth and recover from it.

Throw in losing Jack Martin and now you are depending on the likes of Fantasia, Motlop, Fogarty and Durdin to pitch in with an extra 30 goals or so.

On the other end of the spectrum Docherty missed the whole season just about and Silvagni will be back in but I still think losing depth hurts this squad.

Finally Walsh usually has ongoing back issues season to season and not a lot of youth coming on, so pick 3 needs to be a hit.

A lot of heavy lifting to be done by the usual suspects - we will see how it goes eventuates. Hawks have a much more balanced and deeper squad.
The one other thing that stood out from me watching a lot of Carlton games this year was their ball use, particularly by foot.

A lot of their midfielders and flankers are very average kicks and struggle to hit up targets inside 50. Certainly no acquisitions to improve this outside of the draft.

Now that we will not have a reliance on Sicily and Weddle in the back line expect them in the middle and forward line causing trouble. Battle too can go forward. The emergence of Serong, Blanks return and retaining Frost means that we have plenty of height down back.

I have faith that Finn, McKenzie, Ward, CJ, Macdonald, Watson will be able to add a bit extra to our midfield next year and less will fall to Day, Newc, Worple and Nash.
If we can get one of McKenzie, MacDonald or Watson to shoot forward in development we'll have ourselves a very classy high impact player.

Ward, Finn, CJ are more workhorses that will improve us incrementally I think. But yeh there's a lot of development in this group;

They also lost their 3rd highest goal kicker for the year and a best 22 player in Kennedy.

I watch the Blues every week because of my Mrs and they don’t have the sort of team that can lose too much depth and recover from it.

Throw in losing Jack Martin and now you are depending on the likes of Fantasia, Motlop, Fogarty and Durdin to pitch in with an extra 30 goals or so.

On the other end of the spectrum Docherty missed the whole season just about and Silvagni will be back in but I still think losing depth hurts this squad.

Finally Walsh usually has ongoing back issues season to season and not a lot of youth coming on, so pick 3 needs to be a hit.

A lot of heavy lifting to be done by the usual suspects - we will see how it goes eventuates. Hawks have a much more balanced and deeper squad.
How is Kennedy their 3rd highest goal scorer. No wonder they missed finals

It's gonna be interesting watching Carlton's season.
They really didn't bring anyone in - any improvement is going to come from less injuries than what they had in 2024. It's definitely not going to come from their emerging youth or high quality player acquisitions
And now they have less ability to cover those injuries too. Do or die.

On Fox Footy’s Trading Deadline Day show last night, the best part was the following (not verbatim but pretty close):

King: So, Ralphy, which of Fremantle or Hawthorn do you reckon has the better list going into 2025?
Ralph: Umm… I still think Freo but Sam Mitchell definitely coached his club better than Justin Longmuir in 2024 and you can see that players really want to play for Mitchell.

When Ralph said that, the face of Montagna, who was sat between the two, was a sight to behold - lips pursed, pouting silently.

I wonder if Kingy and Ralphy pre-planned that exchange to rib Joey. On second thought, I don’t think they’re that clever.

All that was missing was one of Sarah Jones, King or Ralph asking Joey about his views on the matter!

If we can get one of McKenzie, MacDonald or Watson to shoot forward in development we'll have ourselves a very classy high impact player.

Frenchie is the one.

He has the potential to be absolutely elite.

On Fox Footy’s Trading Deadline Day show last night, the best part was the following (not verbatim but pretty close):

King: So, Ralphy, which of Fremantle or Hawthorn do you reckon has the better list going into 2025?
Ralph: Umm… I still think Freo but Sam Mitchell definitely coached his club better than Justin Longmuir in 2024 and you can see that players really want to play for Mitchell.

When Ralph said that, the face of Montagna, who was sat between the two, was a sight to behold - lips pursed, pouting silently.

I wonder if Kingy and Ralphy pre-planned that exchange to rib Joey. On second thought, I don’t think they’re that clever.

All that was missing was one of Sarah Jones, King or Ralph asking Joey about his views on the matter!

I turned it off when David King said Craig Macrae would allow Dan Houston to play with more freedom than Ken Hinkley ever did.

Yes, the same Craig Macrae who is so structured it caused Jack Ginnivan to say that now he's moved clubs he actually has FUN playing footy, despite winning a flag less than 12 months prior.

I turned it off when David King said Craig Macrae would allow Dan Houston to play with more freedom than Ken Hinkley ever did.

Yes, the same Craig Macrae who is so structured it caused Jack Ginnivan to say that now he's moved clubs he actually has FUN playing footy, despite winning a flag less than 12 months prior.
I really think ol clag has cooked their list but I’ll be interested to see if they can play a good across the year

Carlton were crippled with injuries in the last 6 weeks of the season. They have a very good list. Their 2024 ladder position doesn’t reflect their level. They could easily finish top 2 in 2025. The only wildcard is michael
Voss who is a very shit coach. Let’s hope he manages to send that list into a spiral down the ladder.

Carlton was showing poor form before they had a lot of injuries. I genuinely think they're a bottom 6 team and that's where they'll end up next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t they bring in first gamers in the last round Burt still go OK. Sad reflection on thir players 15-22

Now that we will not have a reliance on Sicily and Weddle in the back line expect them in the middle and forward line causing trouble. Battle too can go forward. The emergence of Serong, Blanks return and retaining Frost means that we have plenty of height down back.

I have faith that Finn, McKenzie, Ward, CJ, Macdonald, Watson will be able to add a bit extra to our midfield next year and less will fall to Day, Newc, Worple and Nash.

And they won’t need full team defence as much like after lake arrived

Time to sign up our own F/A in 2025 and go hard for another F/A.

We must sign up Worpel and take a look at Oscar Allen Cam Rayner and Tom De Koning as F/A.

From the delisted F/A this year I like the look of Curtis Taylor 188cm 24 years old 76 games 33 goals, 76 disposal efficiency, 100 scoring accuracy.

Would be nice if he could increase his goals!

Last edited:
Didn’t they bring in first gamers in the last round Burt still go OK. Sad reflection on thir players 15-22
Sorry I'm not really understanding what you're trying to say, but I'll attempt to interpret your post and give a response on the assumption of your intended message.

Are you suggesting that their depth is better then I am stating because they brought in a few first gamers who according to you went okay against a sub par St Kilda who they lost to in a do or die game? To suggest that these "okay" performances would be sustained by very inexperienced players throughout an entire season would be very optimistic.

Fact is they have lost two best 22 players and arguably a third when injury free and have not brought anyone in during the trade and free agency period to recoup these losses.

Carlton is extremely reliant on 6-7 elite key players to perform week in week out and outside of those the rest of the team is terribly inconsistent as displayed by empirical evidence over the course of the last few years.

Please feel free to put forward your reflection of their depth before you begin casting others as "sad", or don't I'm not really fussed as I have zero expectations. I think we can both agree Hawthorns list bats far deeper then theirs.

Temper that with the fact they have lost 2 of their top 7 goal kickers from this year - Yowies 33 & Kennedy 17
Injuries aside - whose gunna stump up for more goals

They went for Houston and now still have to rely on Newman kicking out of the half back line. Collingwood should go past them.

Are they better than Sydney? No
Lions? No
Geelong? No
Hawthorn? No
Port? Debatable
Bulldogs? No
Freo? They'll improve next season, so no.
Essendon? Maybe.
Saints? Don't think so. They'll improve next year too.
Suns? 50/50
Melbourne? No
Adelaide? Could easily see Crows better then them next season.

The only three teams that Carlton are definitely better than next season are West Coast, Richmond, and North Melbourne.

And we may finally see some improvement in North next season, so they could pass them too.

Frenchie is the one.

He has the potential to be absolutely elite.
Watched him in the intra-club during pre season and you are spot on. He just moves different to anyone that we have on our list, creates space and time where there is no right for him to do so and has the skills by hand and foot to match his footy IQ.

I think he'll absolutely thrive next year.

Last edited:
Time to sign up our own F/A in 2025 and go hard for another F/A.

We must sign up Worpel and take a look at Oscar Allen Cam Rayner and Tom De Koning as F/A.

From the delisted F/A this year I like the look of Curtis Taylor 188cm 24 years old 76 games 33 goals, 76 disposal efficiency, 100 scoring accuracy.

Would be nice if he could increase his goals!

Wouldn't mine LDU also adds a bit a something different in our midfield,.

Probably my fault with the way that I worded things, however I was referring to Owies as the 3rd highest goal kicker and then Kennedy separately as being a best 22 player.
What’s concerning is that Owies was their 3rd highest goal kicker.

Are 3rd highest goal kickers usually at risk of being delisted?

What’s concerning is that Owies was their 3rd highest goal kicker.

Are 3rd highest goal kickers usually at risk of being delisted?
You wouldn't think so but the story goes that he was the only out of contract small fwd on their list and all of Durdin, Fogarty, Motlop and Fantasia were still contracted so Owies was the odd man out who had t go.

Madness when none of the others have shown any level of consistency for goals unlike Owies over the past couple of years.

Also apparently their cap is very tight, hence the rumour that Kemp could have been let go if a suitable trade compensation was offered.

The likes of Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Curnow and Mckay are on a handsome sum.

You wouldn't think so but the story goes that he was the only out of contract small fwd on their list and all of Durdin, Fogarty, Motlop and Fantasia were still contracted so Owies was the odd man out who had t go.

Madness when none of the others have shown any level of consistency for goals unlike Owies over the past couple of years.

Also apparently their cap is very tight, hence the rumour that Kemp could have been let go if a suitable trade compensation was offered.

Personally, I'd pay Fantasia to NOT play for my club.

Horrific list management.

Sounds like same old carlton from the pigsarse days

They've managed their cap/salary the opposite way to us. They're so top heavy and they've got no depth.

If they have a smooth run with injuries they might be ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back