List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite what the media will be saying, both Weitering and TDK won’t be getting 1 million plus each year as part of their next contract with Carlton. And both will stay. We have nothing to worry about
Both being FA I think they will get their $1m with us or we will add an extra season into the contract to stretch it out. (I’m assuming TDK maintains the last months form)
Teams will be seeing this as a chance to get a top 2-4 defender and Ruck for nothing but salary cap space. They are going to come hard for them.

Both being FA I think they will get their $1m with us or we will add an extra season into the contract to stretch it out. (I’m assuming TDK maintains the last months form)
Teams will be seeing this as a chance to get a top 2-4 defender and Ruck for nothing but salary cap space. They are going to come hard for them.
The teams that have cap space are normally teams near the bottom, both Weitering & TDK have the opportunity to earn very good $ at the Blues & team success vs going to a team near the bottom purely for $.
We have built a environment where our top end players will be keen to stay for broader factors than purely $

Won’t matter what other teams do. Both will play easily for under 1 million per season at the Blues

I can’t see either TDK or Weitering (vice captain) playing in other colours other than navy blue, it came out awhile ago they had made a pact to take unders to stick together for sustained success.
Fringe players different story

Won’t matter what other teams do. Both will play easily for under 1 million per season at the Blues
The teams that have cap space are normally teams near the bottom, both Weitering & TDK have the opportunity to earn very good $ at the Blues & team success vs going to a team near the bottom purely for $.
We have built a environment where our top end players will be keen to stay for broader factors than purely $
I’m not saying they go to the highest bidder but if they are getting offered $1m somewhere else they will probably stay for $800k but if the are getting offered $1.3m which I can see happening then they are getting $1m at our club.

Yep - Weiters has spent 7-8 years winning 1-5 games a year - he won't go to another rebuilding team.

I’m not saying they go to the highest bidder but if they are getting offered $1m somewhere else they will probably stay for $800k but if the are getting offered $1.3m which I can see happening then they are getting $1m at our club.
The net difference after tax is probably $150k on your example, if it was a choice between playing for Carlton vs North as example, l think most would choose playing for a team in serious contention.
When you are paid close to a $1m, pretty sure there are factors that would be more relevant than a 100-300k

The net difference after tax is probably $150k on your example, if it was a choice between playing for Carlton vs North as example, l think most would choose playing for a team in serious contention.
When you are paid close to a $1m, pretty sure there are factors that would be more relevant than a 100-300k
Which would be nearly $1m tax free by the end of their career. So they would have to make almost an extra $2m in the real world to get that back after their career.
A guaranteed million dollars extra cash free is huge.

Which would be nearly $1m tax free by the end of their career. So they would have to make almost an extra $2m in the real world to get that back after their career.
As mentioned previously most players leave for a range of factors, l don't see Weitering or TDK leaving purely for dollars particularly when we are currently in the premiership window for the next few years.

TDK could very well be the face of Carlton in a couple of years. He's blonde, he's big, he's handsome and he's an absolute beast. Will probably earn just as much in sponsorship deals playing for the biggest club in the land if we have some success than he would chasing the cash at a rabble like the Stains.

I think both players are good enough that the club would trade other players out like Kennedy, Hewett, Boyd etc before we let either go due to cap constraints.

The flying bathmat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a lot of players there is a halo effect after their career finishes if they're high profile premiership players. Far more likely to get further coaching / AFL / media gigs, etc. So it's not always a simple equation.

As mentioned previously most players leave for a range of factors, l don't see Weitering or TDK leaving purely for dollars particularly when we are currently in the premiership window for the next few years.
I’ve said exactly that, what I’m also saying is that you still have to get somewhat close to what sides are offering, Dusty Martin was a prime example. If teams target those two and offer crazy contracts then like we have seen in almost all situations, the side wanting to keep them up their offer. They stay for unders but it won’t be crazy unders.

I’ve said exactly that, what I’m also saying is that you still have to get somewhat close to what sides are offering, Dusty Martin was a prime example. If teams target those two and offer crazy contracts then like we have seen in almost all situations, the side wanting to keep them up their offer. They stay for unders but it won’t be crazy unders.
Sure Cook/Austin/Voss have this well under control.
Not many quality players leave clubs purely for $.

The way the draft is now, it would be wrong to make last minute changes. Clubs trade based on two drafts. Sure make changes, but have them implemented in the following draft, not the immediate draft. That's throwing clubs drafting, trading and planning under the bus.

100% agree. List management is extremely complicated so alterations to the way the draft works would cause significant impacts on all clubs (who the AFL are there to represent).

E Hollands is in line for a decent pay rise as well...absolute class. Though still a small sample size so don't think we'll go too crazy and keep it to 2-3 years.
Will be interesting to see. A short contract keeps him in line. His importance to the team and his scope as a player is enormous. You want him here for 10 years. But you want the best of him.

TDK is about to become the best ruck in the game on current form, he will be getting hammered by his agent to put a hold on contract talks. I'm sure he will want to stay but money is money.

IMO we have a lot of players demanding big contracts. The way around that is to deliver long contracts. Front load them. Stagger out the payments.

100% agree. List management is extremely complicated so alterations to the way the draft works would cause significant impacts on all clubs (who the AFL are there to represent).

“What’s so complicated about it? You draft the kids to your first club… and then simply trade for those same kids at your next”

1719309522516.jpeg

Yes because clubs don’t expect them to take $3-400k PA less. I can’t ever remember hearing anyone leaving that much on the table.
The clubs that can afford to do that would be a North/St Kilda good luck going to a bottom 4 team purely to get some extra cash.

Pretty sure TDK knocked back lucrative offers end of last year, many players at strong clubs would have done the same, pretty sure Cook built that culture at Geelong to have sustained success.

The way the draft is now, it would be wrong to make last minute changes. Clubs trade based on two drafts. Sure make changes, but have them implemented in the following draft, not the immediate draft. That's throwing clubs drafting, trading and planning under the bus.

We should also be clear that this specifically impacts on us this year

We deliberately made a series of trades last year that can be summed up as:
  • giving up Paddy Dow and our own third and fourth round picks in 2024 (currently 262 points, but obvioulsy would be higher if we don't end up second)
  • receiving 3x fourth round picks in return (currently 338 points in)

The AFL is proposing that clubs can no longer use 4th round picks to match bids... essentially wiping out the value we have already traded both a solid player and a 'usable' pick to get.

Note that on current ladder position we have:
Pick 17 = 1025 points
Pick 35 = 522 points
The 338 points in the 4th round

If the Camporeale brothers are bid on at, say, pick 12 (or higher) and pick 25 (or higher), then we would need to match 1014 + 560 = 1574 points
With the 4th round picks included we can match that bid without going into deficit next year (1885 available).

If the AFL changes the rules so that we can't use fourth round picks, then we will not have enough (1547 available), but had we not traded last year and kept our own third we would have had enough

That's clearly a ridiculous situation but one that both the AFL and Carlton must be aware is fairly likely. If they do change the rules, we'll have to try and trade back up from the 4th round to the late 3rd round, and likely pay a premium.

To add salt to the wound, last year we also traded out Zac Fisher for two second round picks that were heavily affected by academy and F/S picks. It's supposed to be swings and roundabouts, not swings and 'oh, by the way, we're changing the rules on you..."

The clubs that can afford to do that would be a North/St Kilda good luck going to a bottom 4 team purely to get some extra cash.

Pretty sure TDK knocked back lucrative offers end of last year, many players at strong clubs would have done the same, pretty sure Cook built that culture at Geelong to have sustained success.
Or possibly teams with star players finishing up like Collingwood, Geelong or as we seen this year Essendon, Hawks will be cashed up. Again no one is saying he will leave for money, but I can’t remember anyone knocking back $3-400k which I think TDK would have to, to not be a million dollar player at Carlton (assuming he continues improving)

With Geelong, recently they still paid their stars the equivalent of $1m (accounting for the rising salary cap) before that they lost their best player for money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back