List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Id prefer Curtis from North if he was available. Seems like he's still desperate and hungry, Zurhaar seems to have one foot out the door already (which is fair enough) but feel like he's developed some very selfish traits.
The way Curtis is going he would cost a first rounder, I’d prefer Zurhaar and a first rounder personally.

Not about best, it's about mix and depth. That's my take

He also 25 and Cripps Hewett will be both 30 in 2 years. He would be now and the next generation with Walsh and Cerra

Lot's of considerations IMO
We would be better to go after Phillips from North IMO. Cheaper and younger.

There’s a lot of high hopes for the Campo boys around here. I don’t see it. Soldiers at best
I was under the impression that they were quicker than what they appear to be. I'll be interested to see how they perform at U18 Nationals before I make any definitive comments about them.

The way Curtis is going he would cost a first rounder, I’d prefer Zurhaar and a first rounder personally.
Curtis is a known quantity and 21 years old, I’d give them pick 18… Likelihood to get a player of his calibre at pick 18 would be more of a risk…

If available I’d take both Curtis and Zurhaar

In regards to LDU...

In an ideal world he holds out till free agency and the club assesses where Cripps & Hewitt are at body /mentality wise.

If both are still sound, in form and wanting to play on, we rely on the draft / development. If one of then wants to call time or their form means they aren't first team options, then I think the club should look into how they can make it happen.

But we don't live in an ideal world so it likely won't eventuate that way

Curtis, Hayward and the Campo twins would be a good haul and allow us to move on some of our most injury prone players. Would be very happy if that was the end result of the off season.

Developing/backup KPD would still be a concern but I've liked what I've seen from Lemmey this year. Still a while off seniors but showing some good signs.

LDU would be an interesting one, think if we were bringing in a mid they'd need to be a natural goal kicker to be worth the cost. Mccluggage would be perfect if he didn't cost 1million + a year.

Curtis is a known quantity and 21 years old, I’d give them pick 18… Likelihood to get a player of his calibre at pick 18 would be more of a risk…

If available I’d take both Curtis and Zurhaar
The way he is going he would be worth it. Hard to imagine him keeping his form in that side but North would still rightfully be pricks to trade with

They've done nothing! Busts! :D

I was looking up some forwards who have been mentioned as maybe available... guys like Hayward and Zurhaar. Both have skills and abilities I like. Zurhaar hits like a train, and Hayward is a pretty slick finisher.

And then I compared them statistically to Jack Silvagni... and dang it, they're remarkably similar.

I definitely think we'd benefit tremendously from another mid-sized forward threat... do we think either of these two fit the bill? Do we already have the guy on the list and he's just hurt?

Both those guys fit the bill and both will cost around $800,000 per year, is it worth it, I’m not sure, if that was the cost, I think we could do better, although not having to use a pick is a big bonus.

If we are talking about the three players then Jack is a fair way behind but he’d probably be in half the $$$, so although we’d get an improvement I don’t think it’ll be huge.

A big upgrade on a small forward would be more beneficial imo.

I just checked the numbers and am a bit surprised at how man goals Zurhaar averages, I also thought he got a bit more of the ball too

I just checked the numbers and am a bit surprised at how man goals Zurhaar averages, I also thought he got a bit more of the ball too

To be fair, he’d be a menace in our forward line. Absolutely icing on the cake from an offensive point of view and license to kill on the forward tackling. Being a forward at North must be hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both those guys fit the bill and both will cost around $800,000 per year, is it worth it, I’m not sure, if that was the cost, I think we could do better, although not having to use a pick is a big bonus.

If we are talking about the three players then Jack is a fair way behind but he’d probably be in half the $$$, so although we’d get an improvement I don’t think it’ll be huge.

A big upgrade on a small forward would be more beneficial imo.

What indication do we have that either would cost 800k?

Zurhaar could collect fat paychecks his whole career playing for the biggest rabble in the game but has stated he's not re signing because he wants success and wants to see how the Roos are tracking this year to see if he'll stay.

Hayward is a genuine role player that noone but Norf would pay that sort of cash for. It's like Neale Bullen getting 800k, never going to happen.

I think Curtis would probably be worth atm an early second rounder somewhere in the 23-30 range, really like the kid got great footy smarts and talent, which could really change by end of the season…
Contracted through to the end of 2025, could see him thriving in our forward half…

Zurhaar could collect fat paychecks his whole career playing for the biggest rabble in the game but has stated he's not re signing because he wants success and wants to see how the Roos are tracking this year to see if he'll stay.

Hayward is a genuine role player that noone but Norf would pay that sort of cash for. It's like Neale Bullen getting 800k, never going to happen.

What indication?

Being a RFA Hayward and Zurhaar are already in the top 25% of earners at the club, with both attracting lots of interest amongst clubs, lots of interest in players already well paid, generally translates to a bidding war amongst clubs.

Both being free agents attract higher deals as its unlikely any picks need to change hands.

Reference Gresham reportedly on $700,000 per year at * and McKay being on a $1M this year although that tapers off.

We pay Zac Williams around $900,000 per year and the cap has gone up year on year since we brought him in.

More than happy to revisit at the end of the year, $800,000 might be on the high side but wont be far off

I was under the impression that they were quicker than what they appear to be. I'll be interested to see how they perform at U18 Nationals before I make any definitive comments about them.

There's a little bit of Sam Walsh about Ben. A long way to go before he gets to that level but that thin wiry type, stronger than he looks with hands like suction cups - can find the ball at will. I don't claim he's comparable yet but my point is we definitely don't know what the ceiling is on these guys right now. Could turn out to be more Kane Lucas than Sam Walsh (although I doubt that).

Lucas looks a more rangey / outside half-back. Will be interesting to see how he develops but these guys know how to find the ball and that is something to work with.

Hewett was the lowest possible profile and he got $450k as a FA but that was 2021 money.

The average salary is going up by 25%. So that's already $560k ish. Free agents are thin on the ground and Hayward kicks goals - much higher profile than Hewett who was in and out of their team and played out of position.

Hayward would need an incentive to leave and he'll be looking at $750-$800k to change clubs or he'll just stay put. But let's say I'm wrong and he only gets offered $700k yet still wants to leave (that figure is the absolute bare minimum).

I think that is still ridiculous money for a guy so comparable to what we've already got.

I'd pay it if I were North but from our list perspective that is a huge waste of cap space.

Josh Battle still isn't signed and an unrestricted free agent.

Yep, I agree. If Hayward or any other target was just chasing cash I'd be entirely opposed to getting them.

Campo twins are going to chew up most our draft capital anyway so imo we'll be looking to trade our first this year or trade up ahead of the twins but I think that's less likely.

Shai Bolton is the only player out there that I'd say we should be 'willing to move heaven and earth' for if he was available but that's pipe dream stuff, as is Zac Bailey.

I think we'll be trying to pick the bones of a North Melbourne situation to get a Paul Curtis or Zurhaar type who's hungry for success or use GWS or GCS incredible depth to our advantage to target a Darcy Jones type from their 2s who's desperate for some game time in the 1s.

I don't think we're realistically going to poach a player from a decent club who's playing each week because we can't offer them massive overs to convince them to leave.

There are however, plenty of options out there... Just need to target players we think can make an immediate impact for us.
Yes to Paul Curtis!

Hewett was the lowest possible profile and he got $450k as a FA but that was 2021 money.

The average salary is going up by 25%. So that's already $560k ish. Free agents are thin on the ground and Hayward kicks goals - much higher profile than Hewett who was in and out of their team and played out of position.

Hayward would need an incentive to leave and he'll be looking at $750-$800k to change clubs or he'll just stay put. But let's say I'm wrong and he only gets offered $700k yet still wants to leave (that figure is the absolute bare minimum).

I think that is still ridiculous money for a guy so comparable to what we've already got.

I'd pay it if I were North but from our list perspective that is a huge waste of cap space.
If it's 'ridiculous money' for a guy like Hayward then there's no reason clubs would be paying that figure.

We aren't a bottom dwelling team anymore, if we have a free agent coming across it won't be because we're offering a premium contract, it will be for role + success or a desire to move to VIC.

I assume you’re comparing him to SOS and saying they are comparable on output, which i guess is subjective but as output increases so does price and to me it looks like you have to pay big $$$ for small gains.

Look at Jacks numbers, he’s fringe best 22, averages 12 touches and 0.7 goals, an increase of only 3 possessions and half a goal a game would put him in the top players in the league, the margins are really small is my main point.

Hayward has managed more goals than games played 6 out of 8 years at the Swans, Jack has never done it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back