List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Leek Aleer won't be leaving GC, but imagine if he did. Imagine his athleticism as both a KPD adjacent and a rebounder. He's quick, he's got an amazing leap, and he's been playing under Dew and now Hardwick, both defensive minded coaches. He mightn't be as immediate an in as the others - although, he really might; we're not all that deep - but he'd add dimensions to our defense that we lack at present in that while Saad and Boyd are fast, we do not have someone who can successfully spoil someone like Charlie Cameron, Elliott or Howe when they choose to leap. Aleer would provide that in spades.
Normally I'd agree with you, except for the fact he plays for GWS ;)

He would look good in the navy blue though.....

Tomlinson impresses me as a cheap, but very adequate option. He cannot get a game at Melbourne when May and Lever play but is 194 and runs very well.

About to turn 31 but looks like he has a few years left. Years that can be spent grooming the next Weitering.

Young isn't the perfect player but whenever he plays the entire backline goes to water and it's not just from his direct opponent getting off the chain, it's like none of them have a clue where they're meant to be. Id say it's a chemistry issue more than anything.

If not having a clue is just standing there and watching your opponent mark the ball uncontested then yes Young isn’t perfect.

Alright.

I don't do this much, but it's become pretty clear that we need to come up with some alternatives for KPD. I do not think that Young is a never option - for all that he's looked poor when played alongside Weitering, he's been more than fine in Jacob's absence - but if Jacob goes down and Young truly isn't up to it, we need other options. So, find below a series of different players out of contract over the next two seasons*:

Emerson Jeka, 22, 198cm, Geelong
Denver Grainger-Barras, 22, 194cm, Hawthorn
Jacob Blight, 22, 196cm, Richmond
Dougal Howard, 28, 199cm, St Kilda
Harry Arnold, 25, 196cm, Sydney

Josh Draper, 20, 197cm, Fremantle
Leek Aleer, 22, 193cm, GC
Charlie Ballard, 24, 197cm, GC
Josh Gibcus, 21, 196cm, Richmond
Tylar Young, 25, 197cm, Richmond
Arie Schoenmaker, 19, 194cm, St Kilda
Will Edwards, 21, 197cm, Sydney

I'd like to highlight two for this season, and three for next year.

Dougal Howard might be 28, but needs must when the clock's ticking. He's been a leader for them down back, and has been heralded by St Kilda and around the comp for being able to perform when it's hot. He's possibly a little slow, but he's a true key defender and could potentially take the monsters which would free up Jacob to be more aggressive. He'd slot straight in and more or less make a difference from day dot.

Denver Grainger-Barras went in the first round of 2020, as pick 6; the bogeyman pick, so there's a buyer beware there. Still, he was heralded as the best KPD prospect in the draft pool since Jacob himself, so dominant was his U18's. For whatever reason - unprofessionalism, fitness, the demands of an AFL lifestyle - he's not gotten much runtime for Hawthorn under Mitchell - who has preferred Frost and others over him - so he'd absolutely be worth a look to see if the change of club and a change of mindset could spark something in him. The thought of playing in finals almost immediately might also appeal. Of this list, he's got the biggest risk/reward IMO; if he's not up to it and Mitchell's Hawthorn are fair in their assessment, he's a wasted trade target, but if he is that's our backline sorted for 10 years.

Josh Draper played a ****ing good game against Charlie early in the season for three terms, holding him and competing brilliantly. There's not all that many 20 year olds who can do that, and he was 19 at the time. He's got good speed, is tall enough for genuine KPD, and is used to playing second fiddle to a dominant KPD in Pearce. He'd be a spectacular get, as he's very young and has plenty of time to develop with us; there's also that Freo have been excellent talent scouts, and their backline's stacked. If he's getting games this young, he's a prospect.

Charlie Ballard is someone GC would be ****ing crazy to let go, so it amazed me that he was even allowed to be 18 months away from being out of contract. It could be out of sight out of mind due to playing for GC, but he's genuinely an intercepting machine. He's the player that Caleb Marchbank has threatened to be when fit, and in all honesty would immediately enter our 22 - this year or next year - and have arguably the most impact. He's also a good player to have with your back to the wall.

Leek Aleer won't be leaving GC, but imagine if he did. Imagine his athleticism as both a KPD adjacent and a rebounder. He's quick, he's got an amazing leap, and he's been playing under Dew and now Hardwick, both defensive minded coaches. He mightn't be as immediate an in as the others - although, he really might; we're not all that deep - but he'd add dimensions to our defense that we lack at present in that while Saad and Boyd are fast, we do not have someone who can successfully spoil someone like Charlie Cameron, Elliott or Howe when they choose to leap. Aleer would provide that in spades.

*Player contract data taken from Footywire. If it's wrong, it's not my fault and don't at me.

Do you mean Mac Andrew?

I quite liked some of the traits I saw from Denver Grainger Barass last year before he went down with injury. Hadn't shown much up until then but seemed to be finding his aggression and confidence again, albeit up forward at the time.

Id be happy bringing him in as a project. Was much more of an interceptor as a junior which may help when working with Weitering, think the Hawks were leaving him to scrap it out as a deeper defender early days which seemed to kill his confidence.

I think most of these names and the possibility of recruiting a young up and coming defender are pretty slim, we supposedly have low $$$$ and limited draft capital.

I would be looking at the 28 year olds and over, players at a club who is down the bottom and looking to rebuild or a player looking at chasing another premiership.

Brian Lake types, Dylan Grimes types, JGov types, at the same time as drafting two of our own.

We have some opportunities to play with.

They are harsh however. Martin, Marchbank money if they chose to go that way.

I quite liked some of the traits I saw from Denver Grainger Barass last year before he went down with injury. Hadn't shown much up until then but seemed to be finding his aggression and confidence again, albeit up forward at the time.

Id be happy bringing him in as a project. Was much more of an interceptor as a junior which may help when working with Weitering, think the Hawks were leaving him to scrap it out as a deeper defender early days which seemed to kill his confidence.

Hawks getting battle would make this a real possibility

Hopefully Austin watched closely tonight.

Really need a second KPDer of the right body weight and height.

If our 22 all run massive defensively and pressure the kicker Kemp, Mcgovern can survive. In the game where the midfield and def fwds dont have their best games then it comes to the defenders really earning their keep. Right now they cant.

We need Weitering, strong body KPDer, and Mcgovern. In a structure that works when we struggle elsewhere on field Kemp should be the understudy to Mcgovern.

The fear if Weitering leaves a game early highlights exactly the requirement. If that left Mcgovern and Kemp alone, we'd struggle to win a critical head to head game...
Totally agree, as Carlton has needed someone down there since Jones jumped ship. We need a "physical" type of player that can stand up against opposition big guys, and although Young has the height he doesn`t have a physical sort of presence about him at all and just gets brushed aside. Sam Durdin has the build but Carlton must feel he is not up to it, and Marchbank is always injured and really needs to play where Kemp does, so he`s out. L. Jones used to stuff up a bit, but he also ended up being good at holding his ground and rebounding, and while Gov plays above his height he really cannot out body the bigger guys and in an ideal setup would be our extra interceptor and spoiler. I would really like to see Austin try to pick up a big bodied kpp in the draft this year for our backline although they of course take longer to develop, unless they end up trying Lemmy down there one day. We miss you Liam Jones.......o_O

Totally agree, as Carlton has needed someone down there since Jones jumped ship. We need a "physical" type of player that can stand up against opposition big guys, and although Young has the height he doesn`t have a physical sort of presence about him at all and just gets brushed aside. Sam Durdin has the build but Carlton must feel he is not up to it, and Marchbank is always injured and really needs to play where Kemp does, so he`s out. L. Jones used to stuff up a bit, but he also ended up being good at holding his ground and rebounding, and while Gov plays above his height he really cannot out body the bigger guys and in an ideal setup would be our extra interceptor and spoiler. I would really like to see Austin try to pick up a big bodied kpp in the draft this year for our backline although they of course take longer to develop, unless they end up trying Lemmy down there one day. We miss you Liam Jones.......o_O

Small chance for JSoS to be repositioned back there going forward. Quickest solution for us?

Competitive, combative on ground and tackling, splits contests 50/50, high AFL IQ, and concentrates.

Vs GWS where it was 1 on 1 contest losses JSoS could have helped spoil. Against a side like Pies where it is overlap run and 30 metre free fwd 50 target then JSoS provides less usefulness due to lack of speed. JSoS could be a horses for courses defender option.

are we sure lemmey can't play kpd before we trade anyone in?
bargain basement defenders? blicavs, nick haynes, ryan lester, aaron francis, tom clurey. get joel hamling into the 5th club club. alex keath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give me some electric small forwards like GWS have over another depth KPD…
Hopefully Ben Campo is bid on after our 1st and tbh, this year I’d trade our future 1st if we could get in another 1st before the bid also to really try and bring in as much quality asap.

A player like Darcy Jones from GWS is the type I think we need to bring some speed and X factor to our midfield and front half along with a key back.

Really hope Ben Campo slows down a bit to guarantee he is not selected in the 1st round

Give me some electric small forwards like GWS have over another depth KPD…
Riley Garcia from the Dogs would be cheap and would provide a spark. Apparently wants out of the Dogs according to their board. He's had a few ripping games this year and has fantastic speed and agility.

Sam Switkowski - Same as above

Joe Berry, Isaac Kako, Evan Bradley, Benny Barrett from the draft are similar types to the GWS boys.

I really thought the Giants out ran us last night, out of defence, through the middle, so many players looked quick and so many of them were kids I didn’t know.

I haven’t seen Lord or Wilson but regardless of the Campo boys, we need to bring in more pace wherever we can
Pace wasn’t an issue when we pantsed them a couple of months ago

Pace wasn’t an issue when we pantsed them a couple of months ago
Adding pace to the side would just help protect us during fluctuations from our best and worst during games. When we're winning the contest the press can come up high and allow us to apply immense pressure by making the game more congested. When we're getting beaten around the ball and they're allowed to run the ball out of stoppage we get sliced up because our mids can't close the gap on the opposition and force them to work under pressure.

That doesn't mean we can't work with what we've got, we are a fantastic contested ball side. But every time we've lost this year it's been against sides who possess fast mids and half forwards who get up the ground and burn us on the way back.

Been the case for some time now

I think we need to move a few on and pull out all stops to get Mac Andrew.
Super talented and would compliment Weiters perfectly. McGovern is great at intercept and breaking lines but he is no defender.
Talk on the footy shows tonight that Gold Coast are tabling a monster deal to him as we speak.

If we were shuffling things around id prefer to go after Petty. He's a very solid KPD but a shithouse KPF

I think we need to move a few on and pull out all stops to get Mac Andrew.
Super talented and would compliment Weiters perfectly. McGovern is great at intercept and breaking lines but he is no defender.
Mac Andrew is a 21 year old top 5 pick having a break out year. Good luck getting him for any less than 3 first round draft picks

Need a reliable 2nd KPD to help weits as young is not preferred and Durdin is always injured.

Kemp to wing needs to be trialled. Long kick and can take speckies. Endurance ok?

Where is this talk coming from that Kemp is a wingman?

Was a backman all his junior career with stints forward and some rotations at centre bounces

A forward? Completely agree he should be trialed and developed as a 3rd tall forward. Don't believe he has the attributes to play on a wing

Where is this talk coming from that Kemp is a wingman?

Was a backman all his junior career with stints forward and some rotations at centre bounces

A forward? Completely agree he should be trialed and developed as a 3rd tall forward. Don't believe he has the attributes to play on a wing
I’m not sure about his junior days but I don’t think kemp is going to make it as a backman.

We need to change things around.

Kemp has good leap and an attacking mindset. One wing is up for grabs imo. If not wing try him up front.

I think kemp is a keep but maybe a role change is needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back