List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was being a little cheeky. But my point is that despite his flaws as a footballer, he's still a valuable player and I would be hesitant to move on from him unless we have a concrete guarantee of getting in an upgrade. At this stage, we'd most likely get a 2nd rounder for him. Not sure that's enough for us to be able to secure a player better than him. Therefore I'd rather re-sign him and draft a small forward (Joe Berry pls) with our first rounder.
Would also think it’s about saving money. Most likely worth around $500k

Although we haven't been linked to anyone since Hayward, everything points to us knowing/wanting to boost the forwardline with a similar type.
I doubt Austin is sitting on his hands.
That's not to say we'll get that player, but I'm sure they're trying, and having the option to trade Owies rather than locking him up makes sense.

Not heaps of mid depth, but Doc should be back, a full pre-season into Lord, Ben Campo, who knows with Binns.

Agree. There is so many variables on our current list.

How many of our current side are having close to their best seasons?
How many of them can improve?
How well will Doc & Jack return?
Can we fix our injury issues?

If a few of O'Keefe, Lemmey, Moir, Wilson, Binns, Monahan, Duridn, Lord step up all of a sudden we look a heck of lot better

Not doubt Austin and Co will be looking at everything and everyone, BUT it's not bloody easy

We look like a club that is going well but still rebuilding. There are still a lot of gap fillers in our regular senior team. The reason for our success is that we have elite top end talent, our gap fillers are ok, we don't have heaps of gaps, sometimes we haven't had too many gaps because our injury prone players were fit and playing well (Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham etc all playing end of last season).

It's up for list management to fill those gaps.

Challenge is we haven't got forever. Clock is ticking loudly.

Acres is 28, Cripps 29, Saad 30, McGovern 29. Quite a lot of key players in that 26-27 age range.

Here's our challenge if we want to win a premiership with this group. Find premiership quality CHB, 3 forwards and 2 onballers before this group gets too old and is past it. Because if we don't, that needs list gets bigger and bigger and eventually gets to the point where it becomes that big we are back in an extensive rebuild.

How long do we have? That depends how long our mature core players can keep playing top level football.

Are we a bit behind with our rebuild? Yep. We built an onball group that probably suited football 4 years ago, big heavy bodies. It lacks pace and that comes down to the recruiters. Not having that CHB comes down to too much faith shown in Marchbank, really should have been dealt with a long time ago. When we were developing Curnow, McKay and Weitering. As for the small/medium forward issue. We have left that till later which is fine. History shows that when eventual premiers rebuild that the final pieces generally are small/medium forwards.

Our challenge is to make up for lost ground and get the players we need. We might not be able to get them and that will hurt for us. It will put the breaks on our progress. Or maybe we do get them and we win the flag next season. As you said it's going to be a very interesting off season.

As for this season, our chances of winning the flag are getting harder and harder. It's going to come down to us still being able to make the top 4 and by sheer luck, have all the players we need come back into the side for finals and play well. That means we get a quality finals series out of Marchbank, Martin, Williams and Dekoning... Probably even Docherty. I think there's a combination of players who can win a flag for us this season but it's not many combinations and that combination needs to be fit. The thing is we can fill the holes we have, but we can't fill them for long because those players just aren't able to play football that long. Can we do it? Doggies did a somewhat similar thing in 2016. So yeah we can. But it's going to take the amount of luck which simply can not be relied on.

McGovern Weitering Boyd
Saad Marchbank Newman
Acres Cripps Hollands
Williams Curnow E Hollands
Martin McKay Motlop
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Docherty/Cowan Kennedy/Hewett Cincotta Owies
Kemp

I think this is roughly the combination of players which can do it. Startin 18 definitely. Once you start taking players out of that 18 and replacing them, we start dropping off. As we can all see there are a heap of players here who can not be relied upon to be fit and available. This definitely means we have not been at our best all season. IMO our best is good enough, but we haven't ever fielded it.

Going into next year we will have to make a side that is this quality or better without Marchbank, Martin, Kennedy/Hewett plus adding some depth if we want that elusive flag.

Tom Barrass, even Guv's brother, both say hi!

One from left field is Sam Davidson from Richmond VFL - 23yo mid size forward with a great set of hands.

Since coming in from Gippsland the start of the year, he just keeps improving every week. Tiggs supporters not happy they didn't grab him in the MSD. Could be a good smoky as a late draft pick or rookie. Definitley an area of need for us.

Would also think it’s about saving money. Most likely worth around $500k
IMO, I think he's worth that. Keep in mind that 500k will be around/below the average AFL player salary when the new CBA comes into effect. But again, the question should be whether we can we get a better player on a similar salary. I have my doubts. It's the old bird in the hand is worth two in the bush scenario for mine.

Cool. I’ve always viewed Keays as Adelaide’s version of Ed Curnow. All heart, grunt and effort. He will have games he will tear apart (like Ed against Freo in 2019), and look like a champion doing it. But when the crows are competing deep into finals, he will (and almost certainly will be) either in the reserves or at another club.

More attacking than Ed, who was great for CULTURE.

No one on our list that has Keays attributes

My guess is we will take two CHBs. One will be a bit of a punt. For example a draftee or Charlie McCartin and the other will be a bit a quality, known quantity who is a bit of a risk and hence comes cheap like Jeremy McGovern. Something like that.
As for the forward's I really have no idea. It's clear we are after high quality ready made and are prepared to pay for them. I am hoping there is a young player on an AFL list willing to move who is about to hit their straps and we probably also go to the draft again. We have seen other clubs do it, just go out and get them but are they available and can we do it is the key question. We need speed and forward nouse and at least one of our new recruits needs to be able to find it in the air. Problem is when you have too many ground level only small forwards, the opposition know who and where the ball will be kicked to.

Midfield we are getting a bit of a free hit with the Camporeale boys. Could Ben play a bit of senior footy next season? I see him being the sort of mid we could use. Generally it takes inside mids a few season minimum to be AFL ready. I would actually be aiming high. For example offer Finn Callaghan (las year of contract next season) a big (long) contract with us, offload both/one of Kennedy and Hewett. Something like that.

I am happy to sign a few players we can afford to give long contracts to. That allows us to bring in multiple players on high salaries. It enables us to keep our cap space open. long, back ended contracts. That means high level young players.

Key defenders: Tom McDonald (Good back up Fwd)
Kolodjashni

Small/medium Fwd: Ben Keays

Tom McDonald would be a good option down back, he does very well on the mobile type tall forwards like Jeremy Cameron.
He’s a backman not a forward, seems Melbourne have finally seen the light on that experiment.
Must be holding out for a 2-3 year contract from Melbourne, who have plenty of cover in his position down back hence why they tried to turn him into a forward.
Maybe expendable to the Dees

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We've got one of the best CHB in the comp already on the list, in Weiters, if we can secure a mature stopper to play FB, we can move him back there.
Fortunately, given there has to be some concern regarding cap space, a dour stopper (McDonald/Howard etc) should come cheaper than a more attacking, McGovern-type.
You can then draft a replacement to develop in the 2s.
With our first, provided there are no f/s shenanigans, I'd then be looking at one of the mids that should be around the mark with the hope to get a bit better balance through there.
The Campos help replenish our midfield & outside depth whilst they get up to speed.
We're not that far off, the club just really needs to nail the next couple of trade periods to ensure our window of contention is not only open but remains open for the foreseeable future. (Stating the bleeding obvious - of course) ha

Last edited:
Tom Barrass, even Guv's brother, both say hi!

Barras will cost a lot in terms of salary and, more importantly, trade capital (ie draft picks). Other clubs can offer more on both fronts than us. Also his back is really dicey so he might not be a long term option.

J Gov is more realistic in terms of cost. He may be willing to accept less money to chase a flag playing with his brother and I doubt the Eagles would ask for a lot back in return for him either.

He is a bit injury prone but of late (the last 2-3 seasons) a lot of those injuries have been from collisions rather than soft tissue injuries. Given he has premiership pedigree it’s probably worth the risk.

He is old however so I’d also like to see us try to draft a key position defender to be groomed as a long term successor. I think we could have a pick that allows us to draft O’Farrell who fits that bill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank Cuningham Martin will go

I don't have any details but I expect all of the following will go

S.Durdin
Akuei
Mirkov

and I think there are question marks over

Fantasia
Moir
M.Carroll
Lemmey
Monahan

because of lack or form/development or contract status

I think Young is lucky he has a contract

Jack Carroll could easily go back to WA and Owies hasn't signed and is talked about as a trade option

Agree on the first 6 names.

Suspect Fantasia will either step into assistant coaching or will be retained for another year before so.

I don't watch much of the VFL. Moir is only a year one first-round draftee. Has he been that much of a disaster that he wouldn't be retained?

You think Monahan will be jettisoned back to Ireland after one year as a Cat B rookie?

Jack Carroll to West Coast feels almost like a sure thing.

Agree on the first 6 names.

Suspect Fantasia will either step into assistant coaching or will be retained for another year before so.

I don't watch much of the VFL. Moir is only a year one first-round draftee. Has he been that much of a disaster that he wouldn't be retained?

You think Monahan will be jettisoned back to Ireland after one year as a Cat B rookie?

Jack Carroll to West Coast feels almost like a sure thing.

That's why I said "question marks". Most will likey stay, but none have been impressive at all and if we need a spot or two they could be in trouble. I certainly can't guarantee they will be there in 2025

IMO, I think he's worth that. Keep in mind that 500k will be around/below the average AFL player salary when the new CBA comes into effect. But again, the question should be whether we can we get a better player on a similar salary. I have my doubts. It's the old bird in the hand is worth two in the bush scenario for mine.
No chance. He'd get 650 on the open market easily.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's why I said "question marks". Most will likey stay, but none have been impressive at all and if we need a spot or two they could be in trouble. I certainly can't guarantee they will be there in 2025

Moir will not go. He's contracted until the end of 2026.

It's not uncommon for first-year player making the move to Melbourne from interstate to need a transition year. At worst we'll see how he goes next year.

I don't see a question mark there at all. That's why I asked if he'd been a disaster (more off-field than on it).

That aside, in addition to looking at free agency this year I'd be keep to look at who is coming out of contract after next season and seeing if we can wrangle a target or two out a year earlier. At the very least you're laying the foundation of a potential acquisition 12 months from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back