List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Given our lack of draft currency given the need to get Levi and perhaps Marshall in the draft, have we been linked to any free-agents or other trade targets whatsover?
I’ve said it before and this week just reinforces it, but I hope we have at least 1-2 KPPs to be bought in.

We can’t rely on the guys coming back off ACL’s and given a few of them are in that backline already, it’s a position that we will need to strengthen even with just a couple of depth players like Joyce for example.

Im not sure there is really any running around who are going to be reasonably available as FA this year. I mean thats why Ben McKay was able to get such a massive deal.

I have no idea about the FA list for next year or 2. Im hoping we have our eye on a few players

I’ve said it before and this week just reinforces it, but I hope we have at least 1-2 KPPs to be bought in.

We can’t rely on the guys coming back off ACL’s and given a few of them are in that backline already, it’s a position that we will need to strengthen even with just a couple of depth players like Joyce for example.

We are also better off playing someone like Luke Lloyd consistently in defense alongside ZZ for the rest of 2024. Both of these players with another pre-season under their belts would be the depth you're talking about. I felt Lloyd has put on some size compared to when he was drafted, so I'm keen on developing him as our swingman so he's capable of filling both ends if needed.

We've invested a fair bit of money and contract length on both Doedee and Gardiner. We at least need one of them back next season in order to recover some of that investment. I'd retain Joyce as well in the form of depth for another year or two.

A tall defense list of Andrews, Payne, Doedee, Gardiner, Lester, Joyce along with 2 upcoming youngsters in ZZ and Lloyd is reasonably strong. It's unfortunate we have 5 injured at the same time and the 2 depth not ready leaving Lester as last man standing.

Given our lack of draft currency given the need to get Levi and perhaps Marshall in the draft, have we been linked to any free-agents or other trade targets whatsover?

Only free agents worth talking about left are Battle, English and Dusty - none of which are coming here.

Given the troubles with defenders and injuries this year, we could go and grab a KPD from somewhere. Harry Arnold hasn't played a game since he was drafted and is OOC at the end of the season. I know a couple of posters were high on him in the VFL before he went to Sydney.

That being said, the team is pretty stacked right now. Only way others are getting games is through injury. Going to be tough on who to cut if we bring another player in. Already have to cut three to make way for the three midseason draftees.

I decided to have quick look at Footywire to see which key position players might be available for FA next year. Noting it could be inaccurate and likely most of them will sign up with existing clubs. Some interesting ones include:
Darcy Fogerty - RFA
Harris Andrews - UFA (he should get a pay bump)
Weitering- UFA
Alex Pearce - UFA (everyone assumes he would only leave to captain Tassie)
Ballard - RFA
Broad - UFA (he's pretty done but could be a break glass option)
Waterman - RFA
Allen - RFA (one or both of these two might want to walk if they dont show signs of improving)

I decided to have quick look at Footywire to see which key position players might be available for FA next year. Noting it could be inaccurate and likely most of them will sign up with existing clubs. Some interesting ones include:
Darcy Fogerty - RFA
Weitering- UFA
Ballard - RFA
Waterman - RFA
Allen - RFA (one or both of these two might want to walk if they dont show signs of improving)
Would be chasing hard for Allen (if West Coast don't improve greatly soon) as he can play 3rd fiddle initially before moving in as Daniher's LT replacement with Morris playing as 3rd tall again. The rest (besides Fogerty I suppose) wouldn't fit our billing and most are key defenders as well besides Waterman, who will more likely more to Victorian than here.

Regarding players that probably delist at end of season include Lyons (only if Robertson stays), Prior, Madden, Craven, Michael and Lane (only if Gardiner plays on).

Other players as mentioned above could be Robertson (requests trade back to WA) and / or Gardiner (injury retirement).

Darcy Fogerty - RFA
Weitering- UFA
Ballard - RFA
Waterman - RFA
Would love Charlie Ballard but I can't see him leaving the Suns.

We are also better off playing someone like Luke Lloyd consistently in defense alongside ZZ for the rest of 2024. Both of these players with another pre-season under their belts would be the depth you're talking about. I felt Lloyd has put on some size compared to when he was drafted, so I'm keen on developing him as our swingman so he's capable of filling both ends if needed.

We've invested a fair bit of money and contract length on both Doedee and Gardiner. We at least need one of them back next season in order to recover some of that investment. I'd retain Joyce as well in the form of depth for another year or two.

A tall defense list of Andrews, Payne, Doedee, Gardiner, Lester, Joyce along with 2 upcoming youngsters in ZZ and Lloyd is reasonably strong. It's unfortunate we have 5 injured at the same time and the 2 depth not ready leaving Lester as last man standing.
Completely agree. You can’t carry the depth to have coverage for the loss of four afl level tall defenders.

Lloyd and Zac both have potential and with reasonable injury luck will have two seasons to develop in the VFL.

I understand there are a couple reasonable prospect KPPs in the academy that could slip to rookies picks or even be kept with the club as top ups. I don’t think we should over react and over pay for Kkp backups

The only worry I have with not picking up an extra depth option is we are effectively starting behind the 8 ball next season with regards to Gardiner and Doedee. There’s no guarantee these guys get back (if at all) to the same standard due to age (Dizz) & history (Doedee).

You would assume we are going to pick up injuries again at some stage, whether that be during preseason or season who knows, but we are already vulnerable in that position due to the above.

Frog isn’t exactly getting any younger either and has started to show a few signs this year that age might be catching up.

If shit does hit the fan again we’d be relying on two kids in their second year to take massive leaps forward. For a team who I assume will still be considering themselves in the window it’s a big risk to take.

I agree with what others have said though, given the above Joyce definitely gets another year now.

Would love Charlie Ballard but I can't see him leaving the Suns.
Honestly I dont see many if any of that list leaving their teams. But it also demonstrated how hard it is to get a decent or backup key back this way. There are a couple of other guys who maybe might like a last year as a reserve somewhere. But its not easy to move guys interstate to do that.

The only worry I have with not picking up an extra depth option is we are effectively starting behind the 8 ball next season with regards to Gardiner and Doedee. There’s no guarantee these guys get back (if at all) to the same standard due to age (Dizz) & history (Doedee).

You would assume we are going to pick up injuries again at some stage, whether that be during preseason or season who knows, but we are already vulnerable in that position due to the above.

Frog isn’t exactly getting any younger either and has started to show a few signs this year that age might be catching up.

If shit does hit the fan again we’d be relying on two kids in their second year to take massive leaps forward. For a team who I assume will still be considering themselves in the window it’s a big risk to take.

I agree with what others have said though, given the above Joyce definitely gets another year now.

I like stories like Joyce, guys who take their chance when it comes and then get rewarded for it. Full credit to the coaching team too, I didn't think they had it in them to know when to give blokes a shot but boy have I been proven wrong and happily so. Despite being perennial contenders now, we have still managed to start bringing through Fletcher, WAshcroft, Brain, Reville, Morris, Lohmann and Wilmott. Next year we will no doubt start bringing through LAshcroft, Marshall, ZZ and probably one or two others. We've also managed to give shots to guys like Robertson and Tunstill. This is the way to keep relevant and keep up there like Geelong and Sydney do.

Not only are we in contention now, we also have clear pathways for guys who are good enough and an academy producing good enough talent to keep us regenerating. It is actually pretty cool when you think of the guys our academy has produced in recent years: Hipwood, Andrews, Payne, Coleman, Fletcher, Keays, Bruuuuuuuuce, Chol, Cumberland, Brain - can't keep them all but from those we have kept - that's a fair chunk of our side with more coming, pretty cool.

From Inside Trading just released:

Brisbane veteran Dayne Zorko wants to play on for a 14th season in 2025, but is yet to receive an offer from the Lions for next year.
The Queenslander is the fourth-oldest player in the AFL this year and turns 36 in February, but hasn't missed a game in 2024, thriving in a new role across half-back.
Zorko didn't sign an extension for this season until after last October's trade period, following the Grand Final loss to Collingwood.
Brisbane is understood to be waiting for the AFL to finalise its draft and player movement rules around the Next Generation Academy, draft value index and rookie list before making an offer to Zorko's management.
Zorko is a five-time Merrett-Murray medallist, on track to feature in the top five of the best and fairest again and is now up to 268 games after being recruited at the age of 23 from the Broadbeach Cats in the QAFL.

From Inside Trading just released:

Will be done after the season. Pretty standard for someone of his age. All it takes is one bad injury and it's career done. Got to be cautious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane veteran Dayne Zorko wants to play on for a 14th season in 2025, but is yet to receive an offer from the Lions for next year.
The Queenslander is the fourth-oldest player in the AFL this year and turns 36 in February, but hasn't missed a game in 2024, thriving in a new role across half-back.
Zorko didn't sign an extension for this season until after last October's trade period, following the Grand Final loss to Collingwood.
Brisbane is understood to be waiting for the AFL to finalise its draft and player movement rules around the Next Generation Academy, draft value index and rookie list before making an offer to Zorko's management.
Zorko is a five-time Merrett-Murray medallist, on track to feature in the top five of the best and fairest again and is now up to 268 games after being recruited at the age of 23 from the Broadbeach Cats in the QAFL.
Just read this article and did the quick math on the 268 AFL games he's played to date - 5 H&A games to go this season and it's probably fair to assume Brisbane will play at least 2 finals matches this season. That will take him up to 275 and obviously if he plays on next year then he has the opportunity to add an extra 23 H&A games + finals. Basically I wanted to ask if you guys think he'll reach 300 games? Would be pretty incredible for a guy that wasn't drafted until he was 22 years of age and debuted at 23. From memory, there's only been a few Queenslanders to reach 300 AFL games - Marcus Ashcroft, Jason Akermanis and Nick Rieowldt (does he count?) so Zorko would definitely be in illustrious company if he does get there.

Just read this article and did the quick math on the 268 AFL games he's played to date - 5 H&A games to go this season and it's probably fair to assume Brisbane will play at least 2 finals matches this season. That will take him up to 275 and obviously if he plays on next year then he has the opportunity to add an extra 23 H&A games + finals. Basically I wanted to ask if you guys think he'll reach 300 games? Would be pretty incredible for a guy that wasn't drafted until he was 22 years of age and debuted at 23. From memory, there's only been a few Queenslanders to reach 300 AFL games - Marcus Ashcroft, Jason Akermanis and Nick Rieowldt (does he count?) so Zorko would definitely be in illustrious company if he does get there.
Its seriously impressive how he has got to this stage in his career and still looks good. Realistically I think he would have to play 2 more years to get to 300. Im not sure he plays every game next year if he plays on

He wasn't drafted he was a Suns zone selection that you traded to us so Gold Coast got him for free but didn't want him.

He wasn't drafted he was a Suns zone selection that you traded to us so Gold Coast got him for free but didn't want him.
You're right. 16 other clubs also had access to him in the three drafts that preceded 2010 while he was consistently winning B&Fs at Broadbeach. Every club is guilty of overlooking good prospects that they have access to at some point in their history. Won't be the last time it happens, either.

Anyway. I wasn't trying to start any debates about the way he began his career or who had access to him. Just acknowledging the impressive career he's had to date and that he's within reaching distance of the elusive 300 mark. Although I do understand that it's QClash week and people probably want to engage in some banter so fair play :thumbsu:

Anyway. I wasn't trying to start any debates about the way he began his career or who had access to him. Just acknowledging the impressive career he's had to date and that he's within reaching distance of the elusive 300 mark. Although I do understand that it's QClash week and people probably want to engage in some banter so fair play :thumbsu:

Don't mind whatshisface, I've seen you a few times around the boards, you're alright.

I hope he reaches 300. Despite the bad rep he's gained from the Petty incident around the grounds, Zorko deserves to hit that milestone. If Zorko can continue his form this season and in the next, he'll comfortably hit that mark in 2026.

However, that's a next year/year after problem. Next week is Lester's 200th, and we need to win that.

Will be done after the season. Pretty standard for someone of his age. All it takes is one bad injury and it's career done. Got to be cautious.
Plus given he's not going to be moved on, etc, and our need for points and corresponding picks, he'd be a candidate to re-sign after the draft to keep a pick open.

Plus given he's not going to be moved on, etc, and our need for points and corresponding picks, he'd be a candidate to re-sign after the draft to keep a pick open.

For sure and we will definitely be keen to re-sign him, he'll know that, just need to play the game so to speak to keep things open while needed, etc.

going to be interesting.If we did not loose guys with ACL's we prob would of let Joyce go
Now you say he safe as we need coverage.
All the talk around Dizzy and Doedee coming back after ACL's
I getting worried about Payne's foot is this the 3rd or 4th time he been sidelined.
It does leave us low in tall defenders.

So back to who do we think is going
Froggy and Zorko another year :)

I say Dev and Prior will ask to be let go
Lyons, Michael and Madden will be cut. You think Lane as well.
Interesting be what we do with the Beecken and Craven
I say Beecken done enough for next year and looks a good fine.
If we keep both and let 6 go.. still only 4 spots which not good for points

Last edited:
So Dev couldn't even make emergencies this week with so many out, should we read anything into that about him heading for the exit? There just doesn't seem to be a pathway for him with us anymore, especially with LAshcroft and Marshall coming in as well.

So Dev couldn't even make emergencies this week with so many out, should we read anything into that about him heading for the exit? There just doesn't seem to be a pathway for him with us anymore, especially with LAshcroft and Marshall coming in as well.

Watching him in the VFL he just isn't improving. Would probably rather keep him and get rid of Tunstill instead but wouldn't be a big deal if Dev left

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back