List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy, F/S, and draft bidding changes confirmed coming in next year. Future pick trading also won't come in until 2025. Changes to zones will also be in 2025
I found the 'prioritisation' of this rule amusing

• Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.

Anyone getting picked up in the top 40 will be drafted in any case, so not sure as to why they believe bringing it in this year will assist diversification across the league.

Sounds like appeasement to the big VFL clubs

• Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.

Anyone getting picked up in the top 40 will be drafted in any case, so not sure as to why they believe bringing it in this year will assist diversification across the league.

I'm ok with it. Essentially the logic is that if clubs don't have any incentive to develop players from underprivileged backgrounds... They won't.

• Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
This is an interesting one as we might have a few guys like Lane who could fit under the criteria

I'm ok with it. Essentially the logic is that if clubs don't have any incentive to develop players from underprivileged backgrounds... They won't.

I'm ok with it as well but not the spin they used as to why it was implemented this year. Just say to make things fair, no problems

All Clubs will 100% spend time and invest in any talented player knowing that they have access to them in the 2025 draft pool and onwards. It's not like they will throw their hands up and say sorry come back next year. Using their logic i'd expect any NGA kids in the 2024 draft is going to get a huge uplift in development between now and draft day!!!

It is an admission that they got it wrong. If you have academies, and FS, the rules have to be uniform. Will help us as the Vic clubs will endorse it if they are getting value from their NGA investment.

Bit late for the Saints, but - Mac Andrew.

The new rules around the DVI don’t seem as drastic as first thought, like matching a bid with a pick in the same round as the bid.

For 2025, the main changes will be:

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.
  • Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.
For 2026, the main change will be:

• Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.

The new rules around the DVI don’t seem as drastic as first thought, like matching a bid with a pick in the same round as the bid.

• The revised draft value index and bidding system will be introduced. The new DVI will make it harder for clubs to stockpile draft selections to match multiple bids on Academy and father-son selections.
  • As part of this, the 20 per cent points discount applied to matched bids will be reduced to 10 per cent. However, the AFL will continue to review this and assess whether it should apply to all or some of father-son, NGA and northern Academy players.
  • The new DVI will see points attached to only the first 54 picks (down from the current system of the first 73 picks). There will be more than 10,000 points shaved off the value of the next DVI.

• Live trading will be introduced for the 2026 mid-season rookie draft, allowing clubs to move up and down in the order or trade into the draft using end of year selections.

Inevitable.

Will be forced to have a pick much closer to the bid though because it will be much harder to match a bid with later picks only.
Especially if it is a fairly early bid.

I'm ok with it as well but not the spin they used as to why it was implemented this year. Just say to make things fair, no problems

All Clubs will 100% spend time and invest in any talented player knowing that they have access to them in the 2025 draft pool and onwards. It's not like they will throw their hands up and say sorry come back next year. Using their logic i'd expect any NGA kids in the 2024 draft is going to get a huge uplift in development between now and draft day!!!
West Coast and Freo have a stack of high end NGA kids coming through. Freo not as many but at the very top of the WA talent pool, West Coast have more kids in the second tier of the WA talent pool.

I never realised that someone with a South African dad and an Australian mum is underprivileged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as they stop allowing players in to NGAs that had fathers who were long time and premiership players, everyone will be happy.

Will be forced to have a pick much closer to the bid though because it will be much harder to match a bid with later picks only.
Especially if it is a fairly early bid.
True but clubs will still be able to use multiple late second and third round picks rather than a pick in the same round as the bid, which was the early prediction. It will also render fourth round picks redundant depending on the depth of the draft.

Lester and Zorko will play on in 2025.

Brisbane football boss Danny Daly says it is a matter of when, not if the pair sign contract extensions into next season having both lived their recent football lives on one-year deals.
“We’re in chats with their management, albeit very brief at the minute,” Daly told this masthead [Courier Mail].
“We will start ramping up talks with their management about what they’re thinking (soon). Both of them have warranted going around again. It basically just becomes a decision for those guys on what they want to do.
“Both boys have been pivotal in terms of our success over the last 10-12 weeks.”

I never realised that someone with a South African dad and an Australian mum is underprivileged.
Not sure on your point but it also made me realise my son is like a couple of months off qualifying for NGA*. His mum was born in Australia just after emigrating here.

*Unlikely my genes ever develop into a sports star

That footy nerd who is another in a long list of AFL sucks and Vic bias campaigner Sam Lansberger reckons that players who qualify as Father Son at a particular club should automatically be disqualified for being eligible as an Academy selection and having choice irrespective if that kid was part on an Academy for many years.

Of course this was in refernece to Cooper Hodge who he was saying the Lions should be barred from taking Cooper, as Lansberger said, is a mad Lions fans apparently.

Where Lansbergers numpty push falls down is that Father Sons can also reject being taken by Dad's club as Murphy and even Dunkley did so really whats the difference moron?

Bit late for the Saints, but - Mac Andrew.
Demons, actually. I feel bad for them not getting Andrew while the Bullfrogs got Ugle-Hagan at #1, but I guess the 2021 grand final is a sweeter victory.

You’re pointing with a very broad brush there….what’s the point you’re trying to make?
I imagine the point is the communities that the NGAs are useful for getting into the game are those who are less integrated into mainstream society and don't have a long history of engagement with the game. Someone who's half-Australian likely wouldn't face any such barrier in the states where Aussie Rules is the dominant code. And I would think South African immigrants are pretty well integrated into mainstream society. Cupido, De Boer and Erasmus all found their way onto AFL lists without needing a NGA.

Well earnt, well deserved for both of them. Whoever is to replace them will have to be playing extremely well.

It's funny, before this season started I was probably thinking Doedee would take Lester out, Zorko squeezed out by Lohmann or when Ashcroft returned. Both could retire proudly at the end of this year. Probably wasn't the only one thinking it. But no, injuries and necessity has seen them both have arguably their best seasons.

Well earnt, well deserved for both of them. Whoever is to replace them will have to be playing extremely well.

It's funny, before this season started I was probably thinking Doedee would take Lester out, Zorko squeezed out by Lohmann or when Ashcroft returned. Both could retire proudly at the end of this year. Probably wasn't the only one thinking it. But no, injuries and necessity has seen them both have arguably their best seasons.
It's slightly worrying how Zorko is still our firestarter or barometer on many occasions. Hope Washy/Lashy tag team will sort it out in 2025 and carry the torch forward.

It's slightly worrying how Zorko is still our firestarter or barometer on many occasions. Hope Washy/Lashy tag team will sort it out in 2025 and carry the torch forward.
Regarding Zorks, that's the respect for experience and the ability to inspire thru actions he has. A veterans influence. Like Pendles at the Pies.

We may miss that when he retires although Andrews will soon have that veteran respect and he does lead by example. Wilmot and Lohmann are bringing a youthful inspiration. Their personalities lend themselves to it. I think as they gain more experience and mature a bit they are more than capable of carrying the torch.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back