List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep looking at how Hawks have rebuilt their list quickly.

Chol Dā€™Ambrosio Ginnivan Newcombe Dear combined added to some good picks etc

None of these players were established stars elsewhere but have improved the team and themselves

Itā€™s good drafting, trading combined with good coaching. I feel we are okay but not great in all these areas. If we can improve 10% in these areas we will be fine. I just feel this off season is Massive for the next decade of this once great club
That's because there list management and recruitment stuff can pick talent
Sos and Austin are terrible at it

I really like the look of Blight, the MSD pick up from Richmond. Was great on debut against us, and had a monster defensive game in the VFL last week to earn a recall. Only signed a six month contract...WA country boy...may wish to play under another noted WA country boy...

Last edited:

I read this alot and I have the same view as you but who is dumb enough take him ā€¦ if you and I can see how the game has passed him , you think a team will trade for him ā€¦name
One team that will do it ā€¦ I reckon we are stuck with him unfortunately
He's a back up that appears to be playing hurt.
I'm not sure what people are really expecting..

Bigfooty trades: where you think someone is shit so someone else should send something to you to acquire them, whilst simultaneously never wishing to trade anything of value.

He's a back up that appears to be playing hurt.
I'm not sure what people are really expecting..

Bigfooty trades: where you think someone is shit so someone else should send something to you to acquire them, whilst simultaneously never wishing to trade anything of value.
Iā€™m not expecting anything ..a fellow poster said we should trade him , my reply was we canā€™t because no one would want him ā€¦even when he was not hurt he was average ā€¦ game has past him by very fast and we are stuck with him for another 3-4 years ā€¦
Iā€™m a realist, I know we have to go to the draft , we are not getting petracca and our team has too many 1 mil dollar players ā€¦ we have to get a bit lucky with kids or very astute with trades for players on cheaper coin ā€¦
I also believe we do have the list to win it all ā€¦ we need most of our players to be fit which we will address in the offseason and try and add some players with speed and a kpdā€¦ hopefully we have a good offseason and challenge next year

Iā€™m not expecting anything ..a fellow poster said we should trade him , my reply was we canā€™t because no one would want him ā€¦even when he was not hurt he was average ā€¦ game has past him by very fast and we are stuck with him for another 3-4 years ā€¦
Iā€™m a realist I know we have to go to the draft , we are not getting petracca , our team has too many 1 mil dollar players ā€¦ we have to get a bit lucky with kids or very astute with trades for players on cheaper coin ā€¦
I also believe we do have the list to win it all ā€¦ need most players fit which we will address in he offseason a try and add some players with speed and a kpdā€¦ hopefully we have a good offseason and challenge next year
The use of "dumb enough" & "stuck with him" is what I found problematic, he's proven he can do a job when fit & as a low cost mature body as depth, he's the least of our concerns.

I agree with the rest of your post. Few clubs have as many big ticket players as we do & we've got TDK etc who will be looking at increases, our cap would have to be reasonably tight.
Sprinkle in some young talent, churn the list & add a KPD (ideally 2) and we can really contend not only in the short term but for the foreseeable future.

I keep looking at how Hawks have rebuilt their list quickly.

Chol Dā€™Ambrosio Ginnivan Newcombe Dear combined added to some good picks etc

None of these players were established stars elsewhere but have improved the team and themselves

Itā€™s good drafting, trading combined with good coaching. I feel we are okay but not great in all these areas. If we can improve 10% in these areas we will be fine. I just feel this off season is Massive for the next decade of this once great club
I wonder the other differentiator between our build and Hawthorns is stability effectively from day1.

Mitchells plan, and they have recruited, developed and filled spots to his vision and gameplan.

Carlton started in 2016 with Bolton/ Sos view, then Teague/ Liddle, now its Voss...

The "stars" inc Saad/ZacW have now seen at least 2 coaches. CRIPPS/ Doc, 4! It appears that our issues are both coach related in terms of gameplan and player related in terms of onfield leadership/ownership etc.

Is it possible, they are confused with chopping and changing gameplans. We have players on the list to fit earlier game styles and hence it seems we are unbalanced.

Is this why, when we strip it back to play on instinct, or the nothing to lose mentality it seems to work?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

The Hawks rebuilt with alot of midseason, cat Bs, 2nd and 3rd rounders, astute trades. That is why I don't rate Nick Austin
But you rate SOS who outside of Fisher and TDK never picked a decent player after the 2nd round.

Below is Hawthorn picks from Round 2 onwards for National, rookie and mid season drafts for the last 6 years . Just interested to know which ones you really rate

Pick 52 - Jacob Koschitzke
Pick. 63 - Matthew Walker
Rookie - Damon Greaves
Rookie - Will Golds

Pick 29 - Finn Maginess F/S
Pick 57 - Josh Morris
Rookie - Emerson Jeka

Pick 29 - Seasmus Mitchell
Pick 35 - Connor Donnie
Pick 46 - Tyler Brockton
Rookie - Josh Saunders

Pick 23 - Sam Butler
Pick 26 - Connor McDonald
Pick 53 - Jai Strong
Rookie - Ned Long
Mid Season pick 2 - Jai Newcombe

Pick 37 - Henry Hustwaite
Pick 46 - Jack Oā€™Sullivan
Pick 51 - Bailey McDonald
Rookie - Seasmus Mitchell
Mid Season - Max Ramadan
Mid Season - James Blanck

Pick 19 - Willam McCabe
Pick 46 - Brodie Ryan
Pick 56 - Cashler Dear F/S
Rookie - Cooper Stephens
Mid Season - Clay Tucker
Mid Season - Brandon Ryan

Like to know status of Henry Hustwaite at Hawks. I really rated him as a junior. Still only just 20. Tall midfielder that can find it. Big enough to play KP

Given how Hawks are going and who they are bringing in we might be able to get him cheap

But you rate SOS who outside of Fisher and TDK never picked a decent player after the 2nd round.

Below is Hawthorn picks from Round 2 onwards for National, rookie and mid season drafts for the last 6 years . Just interested to know which ones you really rate

Pick 52 - Jacob Koschitzke
Pick. 63 - Matthew Walker
Rookie - Damon Greaves
Rookie - Will Golds

Pick 29 - Finn Maginess F/S
Pick 57 - Josh Morris
Rookie - Emerson Jeka

Pick 29 - Seasmus Mitchell
Pick 35 - Connor Donnie
Pick 46 - Tyler Brockton
Rookie - Josh Saunders

Pick 23 - Sam Butler
Pick 26 - Connor McDonald
Pick 53 - Jai Strong
Rookie - Ned Long
Mid Season pick 2 - Jai Newcombe

Pick 37 - Henry Hustwaite
Pick 46 - Jack Oā€™Sullivan
Pick 51 - Bailey McDonald
Rookie - Seasmus Mitchell
Mid Season - Max Ramadan
Mid Season - James Blanck

Pick 19 - Willam McCabe
Pick 46 - Brodie Ryan
Pick 56 - Cashler Dear F/S
Rookie - Cooper Stephens
Mid Season - Clay Tucker
Mid Season - Brandon Ryan
Sorry Mate you are an expression of why Carlton and its supporters have a loser mentality. SoS left 4 years & in November 5 drafts ago. Why is your question looking into the rear vision mirror? Austin, Lloyd, asst coaches have not performed. The Sayers review was a failure. Positive thinking would point to change required, not yesterday's SoS debate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

between marchbank, martin and cuningham we'd be recouping 600Kish to the cap/year towards a signing (say 950k between them - [120k + 110 + 105] for a teens pick, a 20-50 pick and a late pick).

that 600ish extra may be absorbed by internal signings or thrown at an external. It's one of many reason it makes sense to divest underperforming or unavailable players, releasing wages into the pool.

Sorry Mate you are an expression of why Carlton and its supporters have a loser mentality. SoS left 4 years & in November 5 drafts ago. Why is your question looking into the rear vision mirror? Austin, Lloyd, asst coaches have not performed. The Sayers review was a failure. Positive thinking would point to change required, not yesterday's SoS debate

You do not speak on behalf of our supporters Michael!

You bag Austin in nearly every one of your posts and it gets rather boring. Anyhow you didn't answer the original question which Hawthorn pick from Round 2 onwards for National, rookie and mid season drafts from the last 6 years that you rate ?

Like to know status of Henry Hustwaite at Hawks. I really rated him as a junior. Still only just 20. Tall midfielder that can find it. Big enough to play KP

Given how Hawks are going and who they are bringing in we might be able to get him cheap

Hustwaite is a good shout. Would be looking at Peatling and Stone too.. think weā€™ll need to bring in at least one guy like that if we lose Carroll.

Have a look at the work of the Brisbane and GWS small/half forwards and it's clear to see why we look so slow and one dimensional at times.

Brent Daniels, Lohmann, C.Cameron etc have more talent in their pinky toes than our small forwards

Any interest in Peter Wright? We were into him when he left GCS but Bombers offered more.

KPF that can support Ruck. Be good combo w TDK. Allows Charlie not to be big man target and more mobile and would allow Jack to go back

Wouldnā€™t cost much and still only 27. Best ahead of him

Have a look at the work of the Brisbane and GWS small/half forwards and it's clear to see why we look so slow and one dimensional at times.

Brent Daniels, Lohmann, C.Cameron etc have more talent in their pinky toes than our small forwards

They are natural forwards. Ours seem to be mids that are too small and are trying to be small fwds

I'll be interested to see how Motlop goes with a full season, he's got goal sense which is a good start. Hopefully his injury issues were a one off and not a sign of things to come. Durdin might need to be tried in the Caleb Daniel type role, he can't stay as a small forward without goal sense.

I'll be interested to see how Motlop goes with a full season, he's got goal sense which is a good start. Hopefully his injury issues were a one off and not a sign of things to come. Durdin might need to be tried in the Caleb Daniel type role, he can't stay as a small forward without goal sense.
I wouldnā€™t say Durdin doesnā€™t have goal sense.
But yes, we need big pre-seasons and a good run at it from both of them.

Any interest in Peter Wright? We were into him when he left GCS but Bombers offered more.

KPF that can support Ruck. Be good combo w TDK. Allows Charlie not to be big man target and more mobile and would allow Jack to go back

Wouldnā€™t cost much and still only 27. Best ahead of him
Is he leaving

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back