List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree , we are a top 4 side … McGovern kicks that goal against Collingwood and kemp kicks that goal against st kilda we end 3rd , that’s how close we were and I reckon our season was average
We cannot fall into the trap like last year that our list is good enough to be top four.
For the third consecutive year we have had various degrees of form lapses over the season, we are not at the point where we have some older players particularly in defence getting to the back end of their careers, we have a non existent front half in terms of quality small forwards & a one dimensional mid field, hopefully Voss & the list management team address these areas.
The scoreboard last night could have been much worse if the Lions kicked straight.

The answer I can give you already - we are going for a flag, but with an eye on the future as well.

The side still isn't that old, we are a top 8 side (the last 3 years we are about the level of a Western Bulldogs) so players will be interested in coming to us as well.

I don't think we have any players next year who will be falling away next year due to age, the worry is guys like Williams, Gov, Doch and even Saad get more injury prone again getting into their 30s. Players are usually playing longer now, and Cats and Pies have been 2 of the older premiership sides ever, so I don't think the age demographics of the list are a huge concern.

The problem with the names on that list isnt their ages. Its their quality. The names on that list arent winning us a flag..

We cannot fall into the trap like last year that our list is good enough to be top four.
For the third consecutive year we have had various degrees of form lapses over the season, we are not at the point where we have some older players particularly in defence getting to the back end of their careers, we have a non existent front half in terms of quality small forwards & a one dimensional mid field, hopefully Voss & the list management team address these areas.
The scoreboard last night could have been much worse if the Lions kicked straight.
Never said we don’t need to improve the list … my point was more we are not as bad as we think we are ..look every Carlton supporter with half a brain can see what we need , cut players who are injury prone … more speed on the ball, kpd and small forwards who actually do something .

Told exit interviews will start Tuesday/Wednesday.

Expect some news by weeks end at latest

Give us something to look forward to Soapy. Any players we are a legitimate strong chance of getting. No need for names.

If fit our midfield is very good

Cripps is a star
Walsh is a star
Cerra is a star
Hewett is a very good workhorse

Elijah with a full pre season could be anything
Lord looks very good. Creative tough and classy

That is a heck of a midfield that can compete with anyone

Add Wilson who has leg speed and balance
Kemp who is big and could be anything
Charlie with midfield minutes ala Stringer but better
Cincotta has the toughness and skill to be a good mid

Can we add a Garcia, a Wicks to the mix or a top draft pick?

The question is can we get them all fit and will Voss trust anyone apart from his go to players
I still cannot get around the midfield you have listed Soap.

Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and a bit under done Cerra played last night and they were embarrassed. Short stints in the midfield by Lord and EHollands doesn’t really rectify too much imo.

I think it’s time the club identified that the mix just isn’t right. Which I very much doubt they do and we fall further away with another year added to the aging Cripps and Hewett. They aren’t getting any faster.

Lord I think will be great but more change is needed with hungrier younger players in a midfield that can’t turn up against the better midfields.

The Giants got to work on our midfield 2 months ago after we blew them out of the water early and it was an avalanche of us constantly on the back foot. Even Norths young midfield took us to task and they will be much better in 2025. Hawks well they sure shat over our slow midfield

I don’t know what the answer is going forward but keeping the same midfield group for most of it will only result in us crumbling pretty quickly imo.

I would include Lord as one of the midfield main stayers starting next year.

Cripps and Lord make a good combination.

Lord loves getting his hands dirty with the ground balls in dispute....which frees up Cripps to more damage moving the ball away from the heat

Get another pacey power type mid with good kicking skills on the outside.

Is he going to be played? There's the issue. Same with Moir, Binns whoever else. Or are we going to just turn out the same names again next season? :think:

Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and a bit under done Cerra played last night and they were embarrassed. Short stints in the midfield by Lord and EHollands doesn’t really rectify too much imo.

I think it’s time the club identified that the mix just isn’t right. Which I very much doubt they do and we fall further away with another year added to the aging Cripps and Hewett. They aren’t getting any faster.

Lord I think will be great but more change is needed with hungrier younger players in a midfield that can’t turn up against the better midfields.

The Giants got to work on our midfield 2 months ago after we blew them out of the water early and it was an avalanche of us constantly on the back foot. Even Norths young midfield took us to task and they will be much better in 2025.

I don’t know what the answer is going forward but keeping the same midfield group for most of it will only result in us crumbling pretty quickly imo.
Giants midfield is just as slow as ours, their half forwards were the difference around the ground that game.

1st quarter they left the mids to fight it out and we annihilated them. 2nd onwards they brought Daniels and Jones up to stoppage and ran us off our feet on the spread.

While I agree with your point about our midfield slowness, a few quality rotations can make a big difference.

I would seriously look at trading in Bailey Smith. A midfield or Cripps, Walsh & Smith is much better balanced with TDK in the ruck.
Future first with a second rounder coming back should be enough to get the deal done.

We desperately need more speed in our midfield

Odds on to go to Cotton On, er, I mean, Geelong isnt he?

Give us something to look forward to Soapy. Any players we are a legitimate strong chance of getting. No need for names.

Only one I know of are Haynes
Comment to me was we are very active behind the scenes and are looking at a combination of draft and value trades

I do expect Carroll & Owies to be traded and at least 8 changes

The Giants got to work on our midfield 2 months ago after we blew them out of the water early and it was an avalanche of us constantly on the back foot. Even Norths young midfield took us to task and they will be much better in 2025. Hawks well they sure shat over our slow midfield

IMO it’s who who surround them with and game style that is the key

Only names that had good years were Cripps and maybe Kennedy. The rest have massive upside if we can get them for and use them properly

Elijah Wilson Lord Kemp Cincotta Cowan Charlie are the names I believe can really change our mix

Run off HB, Wings is what we need more than anything

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he going to be played? There's the issue. Same with Moir, Binns whoever else. Or are we going to just turn out the same names again next season? :think:
This aint no blue light disco....They will only be played as a last resort...

Similar to what happened against weagles...ie when most of our A grade top echelon of the AFL star players are injured

;)

(sarcasm)

Last edited:
I’d look at young players like Josh Sinn. Quick and lovely left foot

Wilson is a beauty and should play HB next year. Ollie should be used there after a full pre season. Boyd will be back but needs to improve

But will they be played? Or are we going to see the same names that we've seen for the last 5 years?

Switkowski can play genuine on ball minutes as a defensive pressure mid. Has for Freo a few times and imo is very underutilized in that role. Walsh at full fitness is a different beast to what we saw the back half of this year too, need to hope he can get a clean run through pre season.

I'd also like to see Cowan played through there, think his handballing in tight and tackling are almost his best assets at this level so I'd like to see it maximised more. Being a good kick in juniors is a whole different ball game to at AFL level, as is intercepting. I think he'd provide a line breaking power to our midfield mix like Trent Rivers at Melbourne.

Cripps
Walsh
Hewett
Cerra
Switkowski
Cowan

Still not perfect, but it provides a few different options rather than just a the same line up with different names while we have Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett all together. Think thats the best we can hope for before Cody Walker comes along, 4 core mids with rotations from some half backs and half forwards who provide a bit of a different look.
Cowan like Hayden young

I still strongly believe this is a Top 4 side with a good run with injury and a modern game plan

B: Docherty Silvagni McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah Kemp Williams
F: McKay Charlie Moir
Foll: TDK Cerra Walsh
Int: Cowan Newman Wilson Hewett Kennedy Lord B. Campo Cincotta Fogarty plus some gun draftees and smart trades

McKay to play 2nd Ruck
Need X factor small fwd
Elijah needs to step up as mid

Need to start to move on from Saad Newman Hewett during year and introduce Lord Binns Moir Wilson as regulars

Names like Berry Sinn Garcia Wicks would help

Add Williams and Docherty to this list and simply dont pick them from the start if we want to move on from them. I mean you either want to move on from them, or you dont. :think:

Only one I know of are Haynes
Comment to me was we are very active behind the scenes and are looking at a combination of draft and value trades

I do expect Carroll & Owies to be traded and at least 8 changes
That’s not encouraging. Getting a 32 year old interceptor who is probably past his best. Realistically i bet we dont play him in the 1sts much.

Definitely, point was Hew would be lucky to break into the top 60 for his position & that’s probably being generous.
He was our best mid for most of last night, and never dropped his head or effort in the first half. I think it's safe to describe him as hovering around the top 50, and that's a perfectly good place to be as a 3rd or 4th mid in a top 8 side.
It’s not (just) Voss, it’s the entire coaching group failing to drill the players enough en masse. Although part of it certainly the lack of cohesion due to constant injury change to the side, part of it is not being drilled enough for players to know where to position themselves around stoppage and contest, where to move to, where and when to release the ball.

Our appalling ability around defensive stoppages cannot be blamed on stupid players. It’s not that complicated of a game, we just haven’t been drilled enough.
I think you've completely ruled out the possibility of over-coaching, or making it overly complicated at times instead of letting players assess the situation and develop their instincts/natural talents. That's the problem if you preach system too hard and then overly draft for it.

The nature of our centre bounce setups and how we have preferred our rucks to handle that, and the personnel consistently used there suggests we tightly train the way we want it to work, almost to the point of having no time to really push it at match level intensity with the kinds of athletes the opposition can and do throw at us.

The whole game plan also seems to be about taking smart and enduring footballers - who may tend to be less quick most of the time due to draft access (i.e. you don't have 5 first round picks every year) - and expecting them to perform at their peak all the time. I genuinely feel like the list management team and Voss would play 10 players with the skill set and athleticism of Kennedy until the joint was burning down.

The methodology - and perhaps data - that produces that continual evaluation of players is either deeply flawed, or being overly relied upon to make final decisions.

One thing you watch over the next season or so is the new fitness guy.
Hes had a program in place to try get Gilfen to play 100% game time.
Hasn't happened yet.
Holland's boys walsh cotts and Binns are elite runners..lets see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back