List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

We've been crying out since day 1 for Voss to run more players through the middle, maybe Austin and co will have finally forced the issue
yep, we've lost some depth but they were also 'known players' - talent, abilities and limitations were well known and the mix is clearly off. This is a calculated effort to bring some change to the list at the risk of our depth being exposed through injury next year. Payoff is of course, as you say a new mix. Pick 3, billy wilson, Hollands boys, docherty even C durdin can make our midfield less predictable

Let me take you back to 2014, the single worst draft/trade/recruitment period by any club in the history of the league.

Traded out Pick 7 & 19 for Kristian Jaksch and Mark Whiley

Pick 19 - Blaine Boekhurst
Pick 28 - Dillon Vojo-Rainbow
Pick 60 - Clem Smith
Pick 63 - Jayden Foster
PSD - Jason Tutt
Rookie draft - Billy Gowers, Brad Walsh, Tom Fields, Fraser Russell
Delisted free agent - Matthew Dick

Only positive was Liam Jones for Pick 46.
2014 was a very interesting draft. Outside of De Goey and Petracca no absolute elite players. Heeney, Steele and Moore father son / academy players but otherwise a handful of good but not great options.

At Pick #7 would we have looked at Peter Wright, Liam Duggan, Corey Ellis, Nakia Cockatoo, Lachie Weller. We might have got one best 22 player out of that but it wasn't guaranteed.

Touk Miller and Braydney Maynard being there between 19-30 hurts, imagine swapping Blaine and the Rainbow for Maynard and Miller.

But then there were also a bunch of nothing picks there Hugh Goddard, Laverde, Dan McKenize, Daniel Neilson, Lukas Webb, Tom Lamb etc.

It was a really poor draft but we definitely managed to miss the dartboard on every throw.

Partly because FS and academy boys always tend to get undervalued because every other club focuses on gettable targets. Will Graham last year is a fine example. Nick Daicos another.
Nick Daicos was pretty much touted as a top 5 draft pick that year anyway, regardless of F/S (and pick 1 according to some folks). So if the conventional thinking is that the Campo bros are 2nd and 3rd round chances, regardless of F/S, then there's a lot of pressure on them to achieve great things with a moneyball tactic like that (despite pick 3, who is going to have a mountain of pressure and expectation to perform) - moreso given that we've traded Kennedy and Carroll has been delisted... The commenter has a fair point imo.

Ollie will likely become a half back who spends a bit of time on the wing. Like Docherty can. In fact they both probably pair up well as players who rotate together.

I'm hoping we have a really good look at our rotations next seasons and adjust players minutes. I'd like to see some of the rotation players get more minutes in the midfield.

Interesting with Ollie that he trained a lot last pre season in midfield and looked good.

The move to HB I really liked. I like when we try things and don't pigeon hole players. Flexibility and ability to catch the opposition off guard can make a big difference

Interesting with Ollie that he trained a lot last pre season in midfield and looked good.

The move to HB I really liked. I like when we try things and don't pigeon hole players. Flexibility and ability to catch the opposition off guard can make a big difference
It sounds like we are happy to try things in the preseason but when it comes to the crunch and the main season starts that all goes away. It's a bit like when we brought players in and tried things at the end of last season and the end of this season and that went well, when finals came we cracked under pressure and put those things away.

I have criticised Voss of this before. He was a tough and courageous player but a timid coach IMO. He keeps going back to what he sees as safe rather than backing players in and taking risks.

End of 2023 season we had Dow in the side, not killing it but playing well and giving us something different and a bit more pace. Fisher at half back getting 25 possessions and giving us rebound. Finals came and we choked and dumped them for "safer options" which failed. 2024 we brought in a few young players who went exceptionally well in the last few games. Binns, Lord and Moir really were good but come finals time we dropped them for safe options and again, those options failed.

Voss is precious and fearful in regards who he plays in the middle. In 2022 we would throw Durdin in there for great result and that has not happened since early 2022. We have had many options to rotate through the middle and Voss has constantly gone with low rotations instead of doing that. IMO that's a part of our constant burn out and injury toll. We don't rotate enough through there when we should. Even Fogarty should be going through there when he plays.

I keep hearing about all sorts of players being trialled in the middle and doing well in the preseason like Holland and Kemp but come game day you simple never see it.

Is this an issue with us? I think so. I am hoping this changes in 2024. The only way forward is to trust our youth and play them. We simply have to rotate more through our midfield as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back