List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The Pies' poor off seasons leading to 2023 showed that there's much more wiggle room for a big Vic club.

Smaller interstate clubs need to get everything right to win a premiership. Fewer free agents and father sons to bail us out.

Our list is far better balanced than theirs was and it's also far younger. We'd never win from here with the same squad, but I think ours will be a lot better at its peak.

I am trying to be glass half full, but with so many moving pieces I just feel this off season will either set up our dynasty or could stuff it up.

Lot's of potential ins, a lot of draft picks, and hopefully not too many best 22 leaving.

I'll be filthy is Sturt leaves and upset if Switta does, but they are not dynasty altering players. We've signed all of those players except Andy, who'll do it at christmas like Serong did.

Sturt after more 💰
war football GIF

Realistically our best fwd line next year could be
Swit amiss Bolton
Sturt Treacy Jackson (Martin on bench if we get him if not freddy if we do Freddy to the wing)
Getting me excited thinking about next year

Pick 10, pick 16, Sturt, 800k in salary cap space or Bolton.

Agree than Sturt should not be the casualty of bring Bolton in, especially when we just signed on Reidy and Banners.

We won't lose Sturt due to getting in Bolton, the two aren't related. We would have had a deal in front of Sturt for most of this year, if he's found something better it's not due to Bolton possibly coming in.

We won't lose Sturt due to getting in Bolton, the two aren't related. We would have had a deal in front of Sturt for most of this year, if he's found something better it's not due to Bolton possibly coming in.
It is, if we can't offer him any more money because we don't have the salary cap space.

Pick 10, pick 16, Sturt, 800k in salary cap space or Bolton.

Agree than Sturt should not be the casualty of bring Bolton in, especially when we just signed on Reidy and Banners.
I'll believe Reidy when I see it to be honest and your first line is disingenuous and not what we were talking about. Bolton does move the needle over Sturt but it shouldnt involve losing Sturt. Bolton over Banfield REALLY moves the needle

It is, if we can't offer him any more money because we don't have the salary cap space.

We haven't signed Bolton yet, the money for Sturt isn't being held back on the chance we trade in Bolton who really only became an option a few months ago at most. You might want to link them to bolster your anti-Bolton stance but they aren't linked.

Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

So is this what will happen when Tassie enters the comp? Do we know how they will build a list yet? I just assumed they would be getting the first ten picks in the draft, and unlimited cap to lure in some experienced players.

I expect they will get to add players born within a few month range before the draft begins, get a sprinkling of first round picks and then two years of those mini drafts.

As well as the ability to sign any out of contract player as a free agent, maybe one per club this way.

There's also talk of any player to ever come out of Tasmania qualifying as a father for their sons to be taken as father son picks by Tasmania.

We haven't signed Bolton yet, the money for Sturt isn't being held back on the chance we trade in Bolton who really only became an option a few months ago at most. You might want to link them to bolster your anti-Bolton stance but they aren't linked.
We've been linked to McDonald, Baker, Warner, Bolton. I'd say there's every chance Sturt can attract a decent offer from the east coast and we're not sure how far we want to stretch pending other targets?

Re: Jack Martin: The club is likely looking at him for depth only. We are losing Corbett and Tabs this year which means our forward depth is going to be very shallow.

We've been linked to McDonald, Baker, Warner, Bolton. I'd say there's every chance Sturt can attract a decent offer from the east coast and we're not sure how far we want to stretch pending other targets?
If Sturt has gone out and received an offer that we can't match then it would be one hell of an offer. More likely a club has offered long term security in a 4-5 year deal, nobody is paying him what it would take for us not to be able to at least match.

If Sturt has gone out and received an offer that we can't match then it would be one hell of an offer. More likely a club has offered long term security in a 4-5 year deal, nobody is paying him what it would take for us not to be able to at least match.
They're still related though.

If we've got no forward targets on the horizon our interest in bridging the gap between our offer and rival offer increases. If we've got multiple targets and cap space gets tight then we draw the line somewhere.

Bolton is a lock. Tigers know Bolton will ask again next year and there's no guarantee Freo will have the same currency to get a deal done next year.

Bolton is a gun. Pound for pound he'd be our best forward next year.
Bolton won’t be in the conversation at Freo after this trade period if a deal isn’t worked out. I’m not keen on Bolton with that massive contract. Kosi Pickett would cost far less. 350-400k less

(Log in to remove this ad.)

while its a bit concerning sturt has yet to be re-signed weve not seen any indication that other clubs are looking at him, unless ive missed something? which youd think would be the case for an out of contract, vic player who has been putting up good numbers this season. probably just backing himself in for a better $?

wouldnt mind the martin pick up if were confident we can get him fit, would be much better depth to bring in on occassion then walters/banfield imo and should be very cheap

I think if this is the situation, then simply you say no to Bolton.

Does Bolton in, and Sturt out move the needle that much. I don't think so.

Bolton doesn't move the needle? You mean the Bolton that is close to the best performed player in the whole competition at our home ground over the last 4 years? I've presented the stats twice and you simply ignore them.

You're talking about not moving the needle, yet advocating to bring in B/C graders like Baker, Owies and god knows who else. Richards? It doesn't make any sense. Bringing in multiple moneyballers on 400-600k each is going to lose Sturt as much as bringing in Bolton on the 800k that we might be paying.

Some people just want to find the dark side of the story, but if Sturt does want to leave then his last two seasons have done wonders for his value in trade compared to the basically no games for four seasons prior.
hope we ask for a first rounder, and just say that we’ll let the tigers take him in the psd if not.

(If it’s not the tigers that have turned his head, then we’re screwed).

I’ll be disappointed if he goes, but if the club isn’t willing to match, there must be doubt on durability.

maybe Sturt's (or Freo is) waiting to see who is coming to Freo. We are looking at one or two players who will sit in that HF area and if Bolton and Warner/small forward came in, depending on what else happens, could force him out or reduce his deal, so kind of makes sense. We've just given BB 3 years so him and Freddie look locked in. Not sure what is happening with Swit but Simpson is probably not far off too.

btw, I highly rate Sturt and always have and prefer he stays. He is the Gunston/Bruest type that is a great lead and accurate finisher that top teams need when their talls are being well held.

Bolton doesn't move the needle? You mean the Bolton that is close to the best performed player in the whole competition at our home ground over the last 4 years? I've presented the stats twice and you simply ignore them.

You're talking about not moving the needle, yet advocating to bring in B/C graders like Baker, Owies and god knows who else. Richards? It doesn't make any sense. Bringing in multiple moneyballers on 400-600k each is going to lose Sturt as much as bringing in Bolton on the 800k that we might be paying.

Bolton is on 1.2 million.
Bolton plus 2 other players on min salary is 1.5 million.
If you sign Bolton, Banfield plays most weeks and at best you have 1 first round pick.

Other option is Sturt - 500k, Baker - 600k, and someone like Richards - 400k.
If you don't, you go to the draft with 3 first rounds picks.

Who cares if Bolton turns up when he comes to WA, in the 5 or 6 games he has played. I don't think it improves our 22, if Sturt and other players are pushed out especially as it costs you multiple first round picks.

Did anyone consider that Sturt may want to go back home and that's why he has not signed?

And anybody saying that Bolton IN and Sturt OUT is a dead rubber has rocks in their head.
You'd think if the go-home factor was powerful, he would've been talked about more on Gettable when they mention all these players that could be on the trade block (I think there's been 30, 35 and 40 player bonanzas or something like that). Neither him nor any Freo players at all get mentioned on that.

It'd seem more likely that, if he's leaving, either we're not offering him enough or someone else is offering him too much (depending on your perspective).

Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation.

So is this what will happen when Tassie enters the comp? Do we know how they will build a list yet? I just assumed they would be getting the first ten picks in the draft, and unlimited cap to lure in some experienced players.

The AFL has said nothing about how they're setting up Tasmania from a draft pick/concession perspective.

I'm really interested in how it'll work - Free agency, the Mid Season Draft and three year contracts for top 20 picks are three changes to the AFL's overall list management rules that didn't exist when Gold Coast and GWS were set up. Them existing now means the system to set the new team up would be very different even if the AFL wanted them set up as close to Gold Coast and GWS as possible (and they've given indication it'll be different).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back