List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

That equates to a likely top 3 pick next year.....so yes.

Why are North desperate...Jack Darling's asking price gone up?
Apparently keen to get an extra pick in this draft, get a kid 1 year earlier in a strong draft, possible chance to get to 8 wins next year, has to happen sometime. GC pick reserved for Richmond. Only other realistic pick is Saints if they get the high pick for Battle.

If we did have to give the pick 10 for Bolton and we turned that into North F1 we could expect something back from Richmond and upgrade 27 to 22. Richmond don't have to deal at the end of the day.

Anyone who thinks we should trade for an extra F1 next year knows nothing about AFL trading obviously.

Presumably the idea is to stockpile draft capital for Chad Warner? What a dumb idea.

Firstly all we need is a single first round pick (our own will be fine) to get into the picture for Warner next year. We would also have our 2026 R1 pick available.

In the AFL the player picks the club they want to go to and that’s it. A deal then gets done with whatever draft capital teams have available.
Unless it’s completely and ridiculously out of the required range a deal inevitably gets done.

If Collingwood had pick 10 this year - Petracca would be going there. They have nothing but next years F1 so that’s a rare example where not enough capital is in the hands of the buying club.

You will notice something in the AFL - the really big clubs, the ones in perennial finals recently - I’m talking Geelong, pies, even Brisbane the last few years, none of these teams are stockpiling future picks to please a rival club. That is the mindset of a weak, passive, minnow club.

The only ones laughing will be Sydney if we trade for an F1.

Take geelong - they knew Bailey smith was coming to them over 12 months ago. Was Andrew Mackie sitting around last year saying “oh gosh let’s get an extra R1 pick next year to please the Bulldogs”?

Was he ****.

They spent every bit of capital they had, used pick 11 on Conor o Sullivan.
As for the bulldogs? They will have to just suck it up and take pick 15.

Imagine for a second the roles were reversed. Let’s say Hayden Young had one year remaining on his deal and every one knew that he wanted to get to Carlton next year.
Do we really think Carlton would be trading out of this draft into next year so they could give us an extra pick next year? Even better - from north Melbourne, so probably a future top 5 pick?
You must be joking. Carlton would not give a rats ass about us. They won’t even put pick 11 on the table this year for a dual AA in Houston!

Use the picks this year on trades or draft selections.
We need one pick in the first 18 selections next year to be able to trade for the chad if he nominates us. That’s all. Anything more than that is a waste of draft capital.

If GWS are apparently looking at Dylan Shiel to help cover their losses... do we think we could tempt them with a Will Brodie? Hopefully his manager is asking the question..

They've got good history with cheap Freo pick ups.. DeBoer, Hogan... Sheridan?

I don't think people are saying trade into next year just for Warner. You generally get a premium to offset risk of unknown standing of the future pick.

If that future pick improves our hand for a potential Warner trade how can that be bad. All depends on how you value this year's draft vs next year. If the player at 12 this year is viewed as equivalent to a perceived top 5 pick next year (not sure how you can know), then don't do it.

Anyone who thinks we should trade for an extra F1 next year knows nothing about AFL trading obviously.

Presumably the idea is to stockpile draft capital for Chad Warner? What a dumb idea.

Firstly all we need is a single first round pick (our own will be fine) to get into the picture for Warner next year. We would also have our 2026 R1 pick available.

In the AFL the player picks the club they want to go to and that’s it. A deal then gets done with whatever draft capital teams have available.
Unless it’s completely and ridiculously out of the required range a deal inevitably gets done.

If Collingwood had pick 10 this year - Petracca would be going there. They have nothing but next years F1 so that’s a rare example where not enough capital is in the hands of the buying club.

You will notice something in the AFL - the really big clubs, the ones in perennial finals recently - I’m talking Geelong, pies, even Brisbane the last few years, none of these teams are stockpiling future picks to please a rival club. That is the mindset of a weak, passive, minnow club.

Take geelong - they knew Bailey smith was coming to them over 12 months ago. Was Andrew Mackie sitting around last year saying “oh gosh let’s get an extra R1 pick next year to please the Bulldogs”?

Was he ****.

Imagine for a second the roles were reversed. Let’s say Hayden Young had one year remaining on his deal and every one knew that he wanted to get to Carlton next year.
Do we really think Carlton would be trading out of this draft into next year so they could give us an extra pick next year? Even better - from north Melbourne, so probably a future top 5 pick?
You must be joking. Carlton would not give a rats ass about us. They won’t even put pick 11 on the table this year for a dual AA in Houston!

We need one pick in the first 18 selections next year to be able to trade for the chad if he nominates us. That’s all. Anything more than that is a waste of draft capital.

Don’t think it would hurt to have this pinned for a few days 👏🏼

I don't think people are saying trade into next year just for Warner. You generally get a premium to offset risk of unknown standing of the future pick.

If that future pick improves our hand for a potential Warner trade how can that be bad. All depends on how you value this year's draft vs next year. If the player at 12 this year is viewed as equivalent to a perceived top 5 pick next year (not sure how you can know), then don't do it.
The only reason Bolton is costing so much this year is because we have so many picks.

If all we had was our own pick 9, that’s all Bolton would cost.
He would still have told Richmond I want to go home for family reasons.

Was he ****.

The scenario that would make sense to me is we have multiple targets next year, not just Warner.
But I'd prefer we took a first round pick this year.

Was he ****.

Unreal isn't it? We should be nothing short of disgusted if we move the pick into next year for Warner. I find it absolutely bizarre anyone can suggest it. No one has ever done it but Freo need to? **** the hell right off

The only reason Bolton is costing so much this year is because we have so many picks.

Nah, that would be then set up for 9 + F1 with something strong like Richmond's F2 and other swaps.

Bolton being in contract pushes up the asking price, but we should be holding our ground because we know our picks are desirable.

I don’t think Bolton would risk his financial security.

Pick 9 only Freo wins, doubt Richmond do it

Pick 9 and 16 slightly favours Richmond on historical trade value

Pick 9 and 10 Freo loses

Unreal isn't it? We should be nothing short of disgusted if we move the pick into next year for Warner. I find it absolutely bizarre anyone can suggest it. No one has ever done it but Freo need to? **** the hell right off
Meanwhile there’s Geelong plotting if there somehow a way to get a 4 time best and fairer winner for a second round pick and a bag of chips.

Over at the pies they are already plotting how to get a superstar in Christian Petracca next year for a pick in the teens.

It’s already pissing me off that we have to overpay for Bolton this year just because we have the picks available. I can accept it for this year but rolling more draft capital into next year and missing out on another quality young player in this draft to please Sydney bloody swans? Stuff that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The scenario that would make sense to me is we have multiple targets next year, not just Warner.
But I'd prefer we took a first round pick this year.
Yeah, could only see us moving one if theres a year of legwork on Kozzy done but its not even a guarantee so we just won't do it

Also probably can't afford all 3 players anyway (cap wise)

I feel we need to apply a 2019 draft lens to this draft. Not too many misses in that first 20 picks.

Here are the picks to 19, Warner, Coleman and Rivers picked after that:

1​
Matt RowellGold CoastOakleigh Chargers
2​
Noah AndersonGold CoastOakleigh Chargers
3​
Luke JacksonMelbourne‹See Tfd›East Fremantle
4​
Lachlan AshGreater Western SydneyMurray Bushrangers
5​
Dylan StephensSydneyNorwood
6​
Fischer McAseyAdelaideSandringham Dragons
7​
Hayden YoungFremantleDandenong Stingrays
8​
Caleb SerongFremantleGippsland Power
9​
Liam HenryFremantle‹See Tfd›Claremont
10​
Tom GreenGreater Western SydneyCanberra Demons
11​
Sam FlandersGold CoastGippsland Power
12​
Kysaiah PickettMelbourneWoodville-West Torrens
13​
Will DayHawthornWest Adelaide
14​
Miles BergmanPort AdelaideSandringham Dragons
15​
Cody WeightmanWestern BulldogsDandenong Stingrays
16​
Cooper StephensGeelongGeelong Falcons
17​
Brodie KempCarltonBendigo Pioneers
18​
Mitch GeorgiadesPort Adelaide‹See Tfd›Subiaco
19​
Sam De KoningGeelongDandenong Stingrays

Pick 9 and 10 Freo loses
I will take bets if it’s more than pick 9 on its own what ever Richmond’s 2nd is will come back our way and there will 100% be late pick swaps done.

Richmond will have so many top 30 picks anything else is useless to them

So if we can turn this year's 10 into a chance at say 5 next year - we don't do it because it may be eaten by a Warner bid?

If we can move 27 for 2 x 2nd round futures - we don't because that all goes on Warner?

What if we get a chance at Kosi and Warner next year?

What if Warner doesn't come?

What if Warner does a knee?

What if he chooses WC?

What if others step up and we cool?

I know you should improve your draft hand whenever you can and that gives you options.

Highly unlikely we will benefit on field in 2025 by taking 3 more kids. Develop what we have, bring in Bolton and live trade 10/27 or WCS use it if we don't get what we want.

You don't just move picks forward to pay Sydney- you move 1 forward if you can to improve it and to give you options.

Pick 9 and 10 Freo loses
Careful what you say on here Jessie’s you’ll get your head taken right off

Trading F1 sounded about as reasonable as most of the crap that gets flung around these parts particularly if Kozzie is off the cards
Even if he wasn’t perhaps it would fit Melbourne or some other clubs profile to get a top 5 pick next year

Everyone getting so sucked into this whole “ this is the greatest draft of all time “ , who says next years top 10 are going to be no good ? footy players seem to improve every year

I have no f*n clue but the ranting and debasing here gets bloody tiring .

Jeezus f*k I keep logging on here hoping to see some kind of actual news on trades but it’s just dribble , can’t wait till this is over .

Trading F1 sounded about as reasonable as most of the crap that gets flung around these parts particularly if Kozzie is off the cards
Even if he wasn’t perhaps it would fit Melbourne or some other clubs profile to get a top 5 pick next year

Everyone getting so sucked into this whole “ this is the greatest draft of all time “ , who says next years top 10 are going to be no good ? footy players seem to improve every year

Jeezus f*k I keep logging on here hoping to see some kind of actual news on trades but it’s just dribble , can’t wait till this is over .

You're logging on here the week before trade week and wanting actual news?

Don't tune into Trade Radio ....you may not survive.

I will take bets if it’s more than pick 9 on its own what ever Richmond’s 2nd is will come back our way and there will 100% be late pick swaps done.

Richmond will have so many top 30 picks anything else is useless to them
What is more than 9? If it is adding 10 then yep 21 coming back at least. I don't think we get anything back with adding 16 maybe 41 or F3 if Richmond are feeling generous. He is contracted.

You're logging on here the week before trade week and wanting actual news?

Don't tune into Trade Radio ....you may not survive.
🤣
Yep I did the first 2 days and then tuned out
How the hell do those guys just talk bullshit all day for days on end ?
Fascinating

🤣
Yep I did the first 2 days and then tuned out
How the hell do those guys just talk bullshit all day for days on end ?
Fascinating
Roll on the last day when all the trades actually happen

I enjoy the back and forth and understanding what perceived value looks like, fills the gaps waiting for something real. I note the equivalent thread in 2013 lasted 64 pages :), more fun making grand finals obviously. I asked what people would do if North come knocking and I think they will based on some of the noise, makes sense for them to load up this year. There is risk everywhere in trading.

Roll on the last day when all the trades actually happen
Must say though that this Oliver news is very interesting
Feels like it could be a crack in the dam wall that gives and Melbourne just starts to unravel over the next 2 years

Was over on the ladder prediction thread and interestingly most people have Melbourne around 12-16th next year myself included.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back