List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we couldnt get Buddy Franklin here and he is a WA boy.

At the time we were competing with a club that leveraged the cost of living in their city to get 10% extra money to the players and also carried two extra rookies on $60,000 so they could pay their primary list players even more.

At the time we were competing with a club that leveraged the cost of living in their city to get 10% extra money to the players and also carried two extra rookies on $60,000 so they could pay their primary list players even more.
I also think more importantly Buddy was not keen to be in the middle of a paparazzi huddle continuously, which would definitely been the case for us or the Eagles.

If we don’t think we’re still dealing against clubs with these sort of advantages we’re delusional I reckon.

Let’s remember no one knew about COLA until the AFL let it slip when Sydney signed Buddy.

I’d be shocked if Brisbane and Gold Coast in particular don’t have something similar in place. Let’s remember the controversy when the fans and media found out about COLA - the AFL won’t let that happen again if they can help it.

we couldnt get Buddy Franklin here and he is a WA boy.
Buddy wanted exposure for his off field ventures, mainly fashion at the time. Sydney the city offered that opportunity & Sydney the club offered immediate success over GWS.

Coming back to Perth whether it be here or West Coast was never a consideration, Hawthorn had set up his image very well & he wanted to capitalise on that, but get out of Melbourne.

If we don’t think we’re still dealing against clubs with these sort of advantages we’re delusional I reckon.

Let’s remember no one knew about COLA until the AFL let it slip when Sydney signed Buddy.

I’d be shocked if Brisbane and Gold Coast in particular don’t have something similar in place. Let’s remember the controversy when the fans and media found out about COLA - the AFL won’t let that happen again if they can help it.

Brisbane had a larger salary cap until they won three flags in a row, then the AFL said whoops and scaled them back

Brisbane had a larger salary cap until they won three flags in a row, then the AFL said whoops and scaled them back
Brisbanes salary cap was only an extra 8-10 percent.

We got Des Headland off them at the end of 2002 and filled his spot with blake Caracella.

regardless what anyone thinks. Brisbane around that 1999-2004 period, had a very strong squad regardless if Des Headland was in or out of their best 22.

Buddy wanted exposure for his off field ventures, mainly fashion at the time. Sydney the city offered that opportunity & Sydney the club offered immediate success over GWS.

Coming back to Perth whether it be here or West Coast was never a consideration, Hawthorn had set up his image very well & he wanted to capitalise on that, but get out of Melbourne.
Sydney was also the place Buddy's girlfriend/wife (not a WAG) lived.

Brisbanes salary cap was only an extra 8-10 percent.

We got Des Headland off them at the end of 2002 and filled his spot with blake Caracella.

regardless what anyone thinks. Brisbane around that 1999-2004 period, had a very strong squad regardless if Des Headland was in or out of their best 22.
An extra 8-10 under current conditions is about 1-1.5m I'd say that's significant that's money to attract a superstar

An extra 8-10 under current conditions is about 1-1.5m I'd say that's significant that's money to attract a superstar
Thats true.

Going off topic here.

I remember the 2010-11 seasons.

Salary cap back then was around 8.2 million. Minimum cap was 92.5 percent or 7.5 million.

Collingwood used the full cap in those 2 seasons, not to mention the $600,000 in Additional service agreements.

Port Adelaide were struggling in that 2010-11 period. used the bare minimum on field and off field. used the bare minimum on the salary cap. I still remember Dean Laidley being an assistant coach at Port in 2010 after that stint as head coach at North from 2003-9.

Laidley essentially was a part time coach there. spent the AFL season in adelaide and in Melbourne in the off season.

But last season, the AFL salary cap was 13 million. So take 10% of that is 1.3 million dollar difference.

What do you mean "no one knew about COLA"? It wasn't a secret. Certainly the other clubs were fully aware.

Eddie McGuire used to run a campaign against COLA probably a couple of times a year (in no small part as a general sour grapes venting after '02 & '03).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of Contract 2024.

Zurhaar should the number one target. Restricted free agent and we need to replace Shultz goals.

Sure McDonald would be nice but its upgrade on Tracey and it will cost 2 first rounds plus some.

Hugh McCluggage should be target as well. Restricted free agent and we can plug and play in a weakest area.

Liam Baker 27 can a small back or forward. Should cost F2 or upgrade.

M Rioli might be a cheap option as well.

L Duggan free agent, 28 next year. Plug in and play

L Ryan 27 we need goals. Would cost a late first round.

Ugle-Hagan same as Mcdonald.

2024 1 year left Contracted.

Ah Chee 28 years in 2025, plug and play.

Motlop small forward we need.

In a nutshell get:
1. Zurhaar.
2. Get one of Ah Chee, Motlop, L Ryan and Baker as a small forward.
3. Little hope would I go hard at Mcluggage, but getting a Duggan as a half back to allow Young to perm in the midfield and maybe use Clarke on a wing.
4. Pick swaps, love to do a Footscray and trade up into the top 5.

Didn't the AFL also make Buddy an Ambassador for the AFL in Sydney that allowed him to be overly well paid?

Out of Contract 2024.

Zurhaar should the number one target. Restricted free agent and we need to replace Shultz goals.

Sure McDonald would be nice but its upgrade on Tracey and it will cost 2 first rounds plus some.

Hugh McCluggage should be target as well. Restricted free agent and we can plug and play in a weakest area.

Liam Baker 27 can a small back or forward. Should cost F2 or upgrade.

M Rioli might be a cheap option as well.

L Duggan free agent, 28 next year. Plug in and play

L Ryan 27 we need goals. Would cost a late first round.

Ugle-Hagan same as Mcdonald.

2024 1 year left Contracted.

Ah Chee 28 years in 2025, plug and play.

Motlop small forward we need.

In a nutshell get:
1. Zurhaar.
2. Get one of Ah Chee, Motlop, L Ryan and Baker as a small forward.
3. Little hope would I go hard at Mcluggage, but getting a Duggan as a half back to allow Young to perm in the midfield and maybe use Clarke on a wing.
4. Pick swaps, love to do a Footscray and trade up into the top 5.
Zurhaar is close to 0% chance of coming to Freo. i dont think we were into him last year when he was ooc and the feeling is probably mutual.

Baker or Rioli would be handy

I'm not sure about that, I think the AFL were quite frustrated that he went to the Swans instead or GWS
Yeah, the AFL were so mad about it that they banned Sydney from trading for 2 years and abolished COLA lol

GWS likely were going to get some Ambassador money, Izzy Folau money

Zurhaar is close to 0% chance of coming to Freo. i dont think we were into him last year when he was ooc and the feeling is probably mutual.

Baker or Rioli would be handy

Out of all the WA guys isn’t Baker the least likely to come to Freo?

I think we need to find small forwards through the draft. Schultz will be a massive loss but every player is replaceable - Geelong won a premiership the year after they lost Gary Ablett and for me he’s the best footballer I’ve seen in 20 years. There are one or two players on our list that are forwards and can improve significantly.

Yeah, the AFL were so mad about it that they banned Sydney from trading for 2 years and abolished COLA lol

GWS likely were going to get some Ambassador money, Izzy Folau money

That’s what they told us anyway.

You could abolish ‘COLA’ and give Sydney/GWS extra salary cap space under a different mechanism. It wouldn’t be COLA but the result is the same. Tell everyone you’ve abolished COLA - technically you’re not lying to anyone.

I’d be very very surprised if Brisbane and Gold Coast don’t have some sort of extra assistance from the AFL in regards to salary cap.

For me it should be a simple fix. All players can have a percentage of their salary paid outside the cap by the team that originally drafted them - if a player is delisted they maintain that status. That would affect all teams equally but the AFL wouldn’t allow it because it’d restrict player movement which is exactly the opposite of what they’re trying to do.

Out of all the WA guys isn’t Baker the least likely to come to Freo?

I think we need to find small forwards through the draft. Schultz will be a massive loss but every player is replaceable - Geelong won a premiership the year after they lost Gary Ablett and for me he’s the best footballer I’ve seen in 20 years. There are one or two players on our list that are forwards and can improve significantly.

Yeah I agree that Baker is almost no chance of coming back to WA anytime soon, Will probably end up a tiger for life.

If we can get some natural progression from the young guys in our forward line like Freddy, Sturt, JT and Amiss we can probably cover the goals that Schultz kicked. I also want Switta to start kicking more too.

Yeah I agree that Baker is almost no chance of coming back to WA anytime soon, Will probably end up a tiger for life.

If we can get some natural progression from the young guys in our forward line like Freddy, Sturt, JT and Amiss we can probably cover the goals that Schultz kicked. I also want Switta to start kicking more too.
I think we are 4 goals per game from being a top 4 team.

Losing Schultz hurts because now it’s 6 goals per game.

We need to kick another 3 goals and 3 goals less in defense.

Sturt will kick 30+ if he plays 20+ games next year. Treacy should also be in the 30+ goal club if he stays as a forward and isn’t dragged into the second ruck role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back