• Chad Warner

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 5 2.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Memo to Wallsy: We have a bounty of draft picks to spend this year. You have three jobs to do:
  1. If Baker nominates Freo then do not get bent over in the trade.
  2. Spend our highest R1 pick on a quality mid with speed and skills.
  3. Spend 1x R1 pick on a quality small forward.
If you can trade in players that fit this criteria, then great. But that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.

Do not **** it up!

Need to stop this best available every time no matter what BS that has got us here in the first place.

There’s enough top talent on our list to be a very good team IMO but talent is completely lacking in some areas of ground and massively over-resourced in others.

Depth?? Don't we desperately need players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick an inspirational goal when it matters? Or class that can reliably kick a goal when the team has done all the hard work?
I think he/she was referring to depth in quality

Need to stop this best available every time no matter what BS that has got us here in the first place.

There’s enough top talent on our list to be a very good team IMO but talent is completely lacking in some areas of ground and massively over-resourced in others.
So this should be when you trade to balance the list, even if you lose a bit on the trade. eg trade an inside mid or 2 for a small forward. Aim for a win-win trade.

Depth?? Don't we desperately need players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and kick an inspirational goal when it matters? Or class that can reliably kick a goal when the team has done all the hard work?
Yep, big game players who can stand up under fire.
Freo are a nice club though.
Maybe new age where everyone gets a participation award.
Maybe get Crowley down to the club and run some drills.

Have to be.
He’s hampering developments of Erasmus and Johnson plus forcing out Brodie. For what? His Mr Nice Guy, Pretty Boy demeanour ?

This is the problem with playing JOM, it hampers the development of the younger players. Omera has given us very little on the field, in fact I can't recall any outstanding games he has played since he arrived.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A three year deal for Banfield -
Are you a masochist?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you are talking about the week there was articles like this one below on how well Bailey was playing as a wingmen even if hadnt played there much. . https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/04...ampion-datas-top-five-wingmen-so-far-in-2024/

I also thought Bailey was turning into a player worth a contract extension at the time Taylor posted her view and I'd been highly critical of Bailey in the past.

Memo to Wallsy: We have a bounty of draft picks to spend this year. You have three jobs to do:
  1. If Baker nominates Freo then do not get bent over in the trade.
  2. Spend our highest R1 pick on a quality mid with speed and skills.
  3. Spend 1x R1 pick on a quality small forward.
If you can trade in players that fit this criteria, then great. But that doesn't appear to be the case at the moment.

Do not **** it up!

And what if there aren't quality players of type 2 and 3 available in this draft in the first round?

O'Sullivan and Moraes are the only ones that kind of fit criteria 2 (and even then I would say they are only above average speed and skills - I think Cooper Simpson would beat both for pace) and O"Sullivan will go in the first three picks and Moraes maybe Top 8. And it depends on your definitely of quality but I don't think know that any small forward justifies a first rounder atm (Kako is probably the closest but I am not super sold on his kicking - it is a bit erratic).

If we really want to draft a small forward, we would be better trading one of the pick for a first next year (2025) and targeting someone like Basil Hart.

Depth is actually the last thing we need. We've cared too much about it the last 2-3 years drafting a few average state league/fringe AFL players rather than drafting 18 year Olds and backing our development.

Wouldn't mind is going into next season with less depth to create some room to develop some future best 22 players in both the WAFL (list spots) or AFL (spots in best 22). I think it'll make us better in as little as 2-3 years tbh.

I would look at Shannon Neale from Geelong, athletic 203cm Key Position forward who can also Ruck. He can't get a regular gig at Geelong because of their plethora of KP forward stocks. This kid can play and if he was on our list now he would be getting a game. At the moment we have no options up forward when we bomb it in long.

So this should be when you trade to balance the list, even if you lose a bit on the trade. eg trade an inside mid or 2 for a small forward. Aim for a win-win trade.
The issue with best available for Freo is in theory you'll eventually get everything you need and/or trade in the remaining pieces. Unfortunately we haven't always had the right players available at the right time - that's both in drafting and in trading.

Trading seems a bigger issue. Who's the small forward we can trade in this year? - There doesn't appear to be one.

Last edited:
I would look at Shannon Neale from Geelong, athletic 203cm Key Position forward who can also Ruck. He can't get a regular gig at Geelong because of their plethora of KP forward stocks. This kid can play and if he was on our list now he would be getting a game. At the moment we have no options up forward when we bomb it in long.
How is his rucking?

Darcy for Neale and a bunch of picks?

Back