List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was actually thinking about this (well, not this exact scenario lol) but, is there a world where Sydney will refuse to deal with us on Warner on account of not wanting to make a fellow contender significantly stronger?
Depends how gone Warner is and whether he's willing to wait twelve months.

We won't have three first rounders in the 2025 draft. Even if we finish slightly lower in 2025, I can't see how is finishing low enough that our one first rounder is better than two or three lower ones.

I was actually thinking about this (well, not this exact scenario lol) but, is there a world where Sydney will refuse to deal with us on Warner on account of not wanting to make a fellow contender significantly stronger?

The Tim Kelly rule.

Could happen.

If you were Sydney would you trade Warner in 2024?

I wouldn't, and Sydney have a history of keeping players to their contracts.
They should be contending next year and Warner makes them stronger, and if he went to us that would be a double whammy.

But surely that applies next year even? - they can still say “you’re not going to Freo, if you really want to go home we’ll send you to the dirt heap up the road.”

Obviously a lot of unknowns between now and then, but really hoping that if it’s not us this year, that the Swannies get up in September

They should be contending next year and Warner makes them stronger, and if he went to us that would be a double whammy.

Of course I wouldn't trade him, but we've been in the middle seat when a player goes home for "family reasons" during contract and extracted a value for them after the bluster of talking about holding them to contract.

Brad Hill, Rory Lobb, Lachie's Neale and Weller.

Pick #10 and change, a couple of seconds, a couple of firsts, pick #2

They all went eventually.

The value in West Coast not having Luke Jackson and Chad Warner is a dividend we enjoy every year for a decade. If we don't have a first round pick until 2026 I'm not going to lose sleep.

Going rate for elite mids was two first round picks, or two firsts with a second going back.

Jackson was two firsts supposed to be around #12 to #15 with another second.

Warner, factoring in that extra contracted year, three picks in the #12 to #15 range.

Next season we have one selection, maybe no first round selection if we trade that for Baker and then take all three firsts to the draft. WC have their top ten pick and a need for more talent than the single player out of it.

Sydney don't get a better deal than two firsts this season and our first next season for Chad Warner.

They would have to weigh up the odds of winning a premiership with Chad in 2025 and what they can get at the trade table in 2024.

Freo won't have the same capital in 2025 and depending on if Chad nominates us then it could reduce the leverage they have on the outcome of any trade deal.

So what I'm saying is I have no idea how they will play this out or what the right move is...

Of course I wouldn't trade him, but we've been in the middle seat when a player goes home for "family reasons" during contract and extracted a value for them after the bluster of talking about holding them to contract.

Brad Hill, Rory Lobb, Lachie's Neale and Weller.

Pick #10 and change, a couple of seconds, a couple of firsts, pick #2

They all went eventually.

The value in West Coast not having Luke Jackson and Chad Warner is a dividend we enjoy every year for a decade. If we don't have a first round pick until 2026 I'm not going to lose sleep.

Going rate for elite mids was two first round picks, or two firsts with a second going back.

Jackson was two firsts supposed to be around #12 to #15 with another second.

Warner, factoring in that extra contracted year, three picks in the #12 to #15 range.

Next season we have one selection, maybe no first round selection if we trade that for Baker and then take all three firsts to the draft. WC have their top ten pick and a need for more talent than the single player out of it.

Sydney don't get a better deal than two firsts this season and our first next season for Chad Warner.

I still feel we need a small forward (ideally 2), unless we are getting Stengle or someone else in through free agency.

Otherwise, we risk being a team like Melbourne. Great defence, great midfield, but shit forward line.

I have my heart set on Berry already. If we get 2 small forwards this year, then I don't think we have any holes on our list.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the AFL intervening with any Warner trade to Freo. They would absolutely loathe a marquee player from one of their pet teams being shipped off to what they view as an irrelevant team. They will do something ... allow extra payments, make up some kind of ambassador role, forced mediation, push him to go to West Coast, etc.

I still feel we need a small forward (ideally 2), unless we are getting Stengle or someone else in through free agency.

Otherwise, we risk being a team like Melbourne. Great defence, great midfield, but shit forward line.

I have my heart set on Berry already.

I think our tall forwards will soon be so good that they will make the most pedestrian of smaller players at their feet look like superstars.

Think of Richmond where they've had a rolling group go through, kick a bunch of goals and then flogged them off to other clubs where they become just serviceable.

I am hoping that our NGA access is better and this won't be a problem for us, but I think short term Chad Warner will be a very damaging small forward when he's not a very damaging midfielder.

So when does Bailey smith to the swans get announced?

(Yeah, yeah, hawks bound…)

But surely that applies next year even? - they can still say “you’re not going to Freo, if you really want to go home we’ll send you to the dirt heap up the road.”

Obviously a lot of unknowns between now and then, but really hoping that if it’s not us this year, that the Swannies get up in September
But he’s OOC next year . They can’t tell him Shit

They would have to weigh up the odds of winning a premiership with Chad in 2025 and what they can get at the trade table in 2024.

Freo won't have the same capital in 2025 and depending on if Chad nominates us then it could reduce the leverage they have on the outcome of any trade deal.

So what I'm saying is I have no idea how they will play this out or what the right move is...
Again tho , it’s a pretty easy decision to come up with if you just put yourself in Sydney’s shoes.

They’re smack bang in middle of a premiership window with their core right in the prime age.

Swans have literally zero incentive to trade chad end of this year.
Firstly it gives them another 12 mths to back the themselves to convince him to stay - which they’ve done a few times with players in the past and it’s worked .

Secondly more importantly if your Sydney would you honestly trade the bloke this year because it MAY mean you get slightly more at the trade table as opposed to next but almost guaranteeing your chance at B2B is severely diminished because you’ve traded arguably your best player and top 5 in the comp?
With added kicker of it being to a likely rival for said premiership?

If it was my team that did that I’d be ****en furious

Draft picks come and go every year.
Premierships are as rare as hens teeth.

As freo supporters we should know that more than any.

Last edited:
Again tho , it’s a pretty easy decision to come up with if you just put yourself in Sydney’s shoes.

They’re smack bang in middle of a premiership window with their core right in the prime age.

Swans have literally zero incentive to trade chad end of this year.
Firstly it gives them another 12 mths to back the themselves to convince him to stay - which they’ve done a few times with players in the past and it’s worked .
Secondly more importantly if your Sydney would you honestly trade the bloke this year because it MAY mean you get slightly more at the trade table as opposed to next but almost guaranteeing your chance at B2B is is severely diminished because you’ve traded arguably your best player and top 5 in the comp?
With added kicker of it being to a likely rival for said premiership?

If it was my team that did that I’d be ****en furious

Draft picks come and go every year.
Premierships are as rare as hens teeth
As freo supporters we should know that more than any.
Exactly this.
It'd have to be an almost Cam McCarthy situation or serious clubroom problems for it to be entertained by Sydney, neither of which is true I'm sure.

I'd expect we throw everything at Warner this year, Sydney say no, then we trade at least one of the R1s into next year, trade for Baker if he's available and go to the draft with whatever is left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly this.
It'd have to be an almost Cam McCarthy situation or serious clubroom problems for it to be entertained by Sydney, neither of which is true I'm sure.

I'd expect we throw everything at Warner this year, Sydney say no, then we trade at least one of the R1s into next year, trade for Baker if he's available and go to the draft with whatever is left.
The only other option is if they themselves have a big fish to land and need the capital we can offer to help them land it, with Mills coming back into their midfield, as incredible as it sounds, if Warner makes it clear he wants out, they could decide to take the bigger offer this year to land the fish they are targeting.

The only other option is if they themselves have a big fish to land and need the capital we can offer to help them land it, with Mills coming back into their midfield, as incredible as it sounds, if Warner makes it clear he wants out, they could decide to take the bigger offer this year to land the fish they are targeting.
Think it hinges on this.

Who can we sell to the Swans? (from other clubs)

Smith, Oliver, Bolton? Isn't there a defender at the giants they can grab, or is he a free agent?

Yep this exactly how I see things playing out .

And tbh I don’t mind it all as It gives us another chance at bringing in a 1st rounder this year to address an area of need (small fwd/medium fwd) whilst also giving the coaches and list management another 12 mths to work out what our b22 going fwd looks like before we starting having to give up basically all draft capital for the next two years.
  • eg does Ras make it?
  • does drizzy come back?
  • is Simpson b22 by then?
  • do we trade one of our young kpd?
  • Chappy and jonnos best position
  • - delean progressing as hoped?

Last edited:
Sydney held Papley under contract (not sure how long he had to go) when he wanted to go to Carlton (for family reasons??). The following year or so he re-signed with Sydney. Every situation is slightly different but they have form for not trading a wanted player under contract.
I thought he still had 3 or 4 years to go when that request happened?

That's fair, if this is the year Sydney could get an A grade replacement it could be sold that way.

Smith - I don't think he's good enough personally, but maybe Sydney see the potential
Oliver - that could work overall but how's the fit with their midfield?

How about.. the Bont!
Although to be honest Heeney is close enough to a 95% version now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back