Jackson
Treacy
Amiss
Pearce
Cox
Ryan
Clark

unless we are giving everyone an A cause it's 2024

Young as well is clearly above him as well.

Chapman
Sharp
Aish
Banfield
Walker
Frederick
Switta

To me he is in the 13th to 20th player on our list, with the above players.

Can we just accept that everything we are hearing and all factors aside that we have spoken with him and had a crack (as we should do), is that Baker is going to WC.

On what basis though? The grapevine has him going both ways depending on which grape you choose to consume? And how are WCE going to compensate Richmond?

I get that many here don’t want Baker, but until I hear confirmation otherwise, I think we’re still into him?

Absolutely. Cox extension was made the day after the AFL confirmed officially the salary cap increases. Darcy about a month later. The club would have been aware of this regardless and factored it into the contracts of the other guns.

It is very hard to have more than 6-7 players who would be in the top 100 paid players list that the Herald Sun releases.
We've got Cox, Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw, Jackson, Young who would all be in or near that bracket. There's not much scope for more, and we've got the likes of Amiss and Treacy who play in arguably the most valuable position in the league. We've got AA level defenders as well.

I really don't see how we can pay all these guys top dollar and still get all the targets being talked about. Warner you find a way to squeeze him in. Bolton's contract would have to be half paid for by Richmond. Baker can't be paid too much. He could get way more at Richmond and hopefully he stays there.
That sounds a lot like an incredulity fallacy to me.

Are you suggesting Liam Baker is dead wood and not an A grade player ?……. That’s ridiculous.
Dead wood is too harsh a term but I don't believe he's an A grade player and he certainly hasn't played like one for a long long time. The dead wood comment is more in terms of his impact for us opposed to who's place in the side he'd be taking. You're effectively paying for a slight improvement assuming there is any improvement at all which is very questionable on his form this season. He's struggling on field in the worst side in the competition, it's a tough argument to make that he's an A grader at the moment. You won't see many A graders spending a large portion of their time in the midfield to only touch the ball 12 times in consecutive weeks which is what he had done before last week's game.

In my opinion, he'd improve the bottom 5 players in our current 22 but so could the development of our existing youngsters outside of the 22 next season or high-end draft picks. I wouldn't waste draft capital and salary cap space for someone who does that with minimal improvement on field.

I'd prefer a longer term approach for someone coming in and having that sort of impact on the side. I'd prefer to plan for an extended stint towards the top end of the ladder that could result in more premiership opportunities.

Last edited:
On what basis though? The grapevine has him going both ways depending on which grape you choose to consume? And how are WCE going to compensate Richmond?

I get that many here don’t want Baker, but until I hear confirmation otherwise, I think we’re still into him?
the same media that had Kelly going to Wc, Jackson to Freo and so on. I don't recall one instance where players coming back were generally suggested to be going to one club and ended up at the other.

the same media that had Kelly going to Wc, Jackson to Freo and so on. I don't recall one instance where players coming back were generally suggested to be going to one club and ended up at the other.

What media has said he was going to the Eagles?

Everyone I have heard, has been unsure.

What media has said he was going to the Eagles?

Everyone I have heard, has been unsure.
30 April Kirby https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...t-liam-baker-into-pre-season-draft-c-14486116

1 May Ralph https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-2024...r-west-coast-eagles-fremantle-dockers-150099/

22 June Fox https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/de...y/news-story/9ff2b03933385ba985891a5ef0eec1f1
"Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph reported on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle in April that Baker was “very likely” to leave the Tigers and that “West Coast would be the likely favourite right now”."

24 June Slevison https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06...ing-a-quiet-approach-to-liam-bakers-decision/

5 July Barrett https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...les-and-fremantle-dockers-interest-c-15253216
"The West Australian understands West Coast is the frontrunner if Baker decides to return to Western Australia and the two-time premiership player met with the Eagles during the bye last month."

18 July https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscr...ous&mode=premium&v21=GROUPA-Segment-1-NOSCORE

26 July Noakes https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/belo...t-rivals-as-grim-reality-hits-fans-c-15104889

I think the idea of Baker sounded good earlier in the season (roughly over the period covering the three losses in a row and then the loss to Sydney where we only kicked 4 goals). The forward line was dire at times and it seemed he could come in and be a decent upgrade on someone like Switta, JOM or Banners.

Since then, we’ve hit our stride and our ball movement is making the forward line look good and vice versa. Switta is a big part of the improved mid-forward connection and JOM has settled in to his new wing role.

Trading in Baker now looks unnecessary given the marginal gains and the cost in terms of cap space and draft capital.

I hope we pass, leave him for West Coast and keep our powder dry for The Chad.

To me, Baker looks like a future bust. Good in his hey day, but form slipping away quickly.

Top shelf Bolton and Warner should be our only focus for returning WA players.

If neither are in the cards this year, take best talent in the draft, deal into the next draft and trust our system to develop new top end talent.

I think the idea of Baker sounded good earlier in the season (roughly over the period covering the three losses in a row and then the loss to Sydney where we only kicked 4 goals). The forward line was dire at times and it seemed he could come in and be a decent upgrade on someone like Switta, JOM or Banners.

Since then, we’ve hit our stride and our ball movement is making the forward line look good and vice versa. Switta is a big part of the improved mid-forward connection and JOM has settled in to his new wing role.

Trading in Baker now looks unnecessary given the marginal gains and the cost in terms of cap space and draft capital.

I hope we pass, leave him for West Coast and keep our powder dry for The Chad.
Think there's a bit there to work with if he wants to come over. I think a few posters are looking at this through a more emotive lens: 'well, he's WC through and through...etc". I'm pretty sure Clark was an avid West Coast man and obviously the McGoverns were very Freo-leaning. Money & career-longevity talks, and maybe Baker is swayed by winning more Premierships than not. Maybe that doesn't matter now and it's just about getting to his favoured team..?!

There's a suggestion he thought Simmo's pitch pointed to an antiquated or unrealistic view of where West Coast sits and that he walked away saying they still think it's 2018. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is - and he's moving - he's coming to us. Although it's possible that changed when Simmo was given the boot. He will listen to further pitches come season's end. I think then it's more the cost, the fact we want The Chad, and to be able to dangle carrots there; add Bolton to the mix of 'maybes', and it's getting a bit helter-skelter. Nobody really knows, but I do get the feeling Baker is moving, and...it's more likely us at this stage than not, and some don't like that. I'm comfortable either way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos to you for digging in and referencing all these!
Not sure there's anything substantial in there aside from Ralph saying WC are favourites, and a lot of speculation/hearsay, talk of him being a WCE fan growing up etc. And I still think there's enough noise about Freo still being in the chase - (the Serong/Brayshaw catch up, the story above about Baker walking away laughing from the Simpson meeting etc) - to say we're still actively in it.

Proof will be in the pudding anyway

Young as well is clearly above him as well.

Chapman
Sharp
Aish
Banfield
Walker
Frederick
Switta

To me he is in the 13th to 20th player on our list, with the above players.
I’d add Johnson to that second group as well, and Sturt if he keeps delivering 2 goals per game. Seriously, Baker doesn’t move the needle much at all when you look at our full B23, probably an upgrade on JOM, Banners, Aish and Wagner in that he’s versatile, but not that much better.

I’d add Johnson to that second group as well, and Sturt if he keeps delivering 2 goals per game. Seriously, Baker doesn’t move the needle much at all when you look at our full B23, probably an upgrade on JOM, Banners, Aish and Wagner in that he’s versatile, but not that much better.

I think we have a pretty even top 11 players.

Then we have a good group between 12 and 20, and the bottom 3 or 4 need improving.

If we do trade for the Eagles future 1st the deathride thread will be soooo much fun next year!
Can we somehow get Carlton into the party as well 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Getting West Coast's first for like pick 10 or something this year would be amazing. They tried that last year.

Getting West Coast's first for like pick 10 or something this year would be amazing. They tried that last year.

No chance, they’re not that silly.

Even the most optimistic fan / executive is aware of where they are going to be for a few more seasons.

No chance, they’re not that silly.

Even the most optimistic fan / executive is aware of where they are going to be for a few more seasons.
Pick 6 for their F1? If the right player is left they might do it on the night.

We then offer our first and F1 for Chad. Threaten to use pick 1 in the draft if they don't take it and trade down on the night if they call our bluff.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back