Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Relative to other teams, do we have too many starters for whom you cannot pinpoint the above average or elite skillset they bring? Using JOM and Banfield vs Sharp as an example - JOM and Banfield are probably better at more things/more well rounded than Sharp, but don't have a strength that's on the same planet as Sharp's skillset. As a result, Sharp is more valuable than JOM or Banfield.

These are the players that I think fit that bill:
  • basically whoever our 7th defender is (Wagner a bit harsh, but I don't value his rebound as highly as others do and I'm not sure it makes up for his weaknesses in defence)
  • Banfield and JOM (no debate there)
  • towards the back end of this season, Fyfe (contest numbers have gone down, and as good a job as he's doing trying to be that defensively minded mid, when you can't really run and don't get tackles there's a ceiling on that impact)
  • Johnson (bit of a techy one - he's got some elite attributes but haven't translated to an elite skillset, especially in his role)
  • Emmett and probably Sonny when they play (I hesitate with Sonny coz he's still got that class but how much does it amount to when you're physically past it?)

Yes that's literally exactly what we need. We need ready made players to plug the holes in our team. Another Cooper Simpson is not going to lift us. Shai Bolton would.
There is some good talent on the list but are we really 1 or 2 players away from genuinely contending next year? Starting to think we have more holes to fill than just 1 or 2 and we might still be a couple of years away from really challenging. Or are we better hitting the draft instead of going for the quick fix just to scrape into the bottom half of the 8 the next 2 years?

Cooper was a mid 2nd round pick not a 1st rounder. There was a reason he slid. He looks a good prospect long term. This whole thing about draftees taking 4 years to contribute is rubbish. You see every season first and second year players drafted high doing well and playing roles on good teams.

I'm as impatient as anyone. I want to win but if we overrate where we are actually at and blow everything trying to quick fix we won't win anything.

Stuff Shai Bolton, give me Brent Daniels.

There is some good talent on the list but are we really 1 or 2 players away from genuinely contending next year? Starting to think we have more holes to fill than just 1 or 2 and we might still be a couple of years away from really challenging. Or are we better hitting the draft instead of going for the quick fix just to scrape into the bottom half of the 8 the next 2 years?

Cooper was a mid 2nd round pick not a 1st rounder. There was a reason he slid. He looks a good prospect long term. This whole thing about draftees taking 4 years to contribute is rubbish. You see every season first and second year players drafted high doing well and playing roles on good teams.

I'm as impatient as anyone. I want to win but if we overrate where we are actually at and blow everything trying to quick fix we won't win anything.
There's been only 3 games this year where we weren't a chance to win in the final 5 minutes. Every single other loss we've had has been because we were missing that extra 5% to get us over the line. Replacing our bottom two players with proven commodities is absolutely going to lift us up a level. We can't wait an extra 3-4 years for draftees to become good while guys like Pearce get older.

Are we really in a position to be topping up with trading players in? We've sat out the last 2 drafts at the top end and now we are okay with basically doing it for the next 2 years? Taking no first round draft picks for 4 years is a bad idea.

2023 /2024 offseason we added Cooper Simpson, Ollie Murphy, Jack Delean, Odin Jones, Jeremy Sharp and Patrick Voss to our list.

2022 / 2023 offseason recruited Hugh Davies, Tom Emmett, Max Knobel, Corey Wagner, Liam Reidy, Josh Draper, Conrad Williams.

In 2022 / 2023 we added Luke Jackson, JOM, Corbett via trade.

Each offseason you need to find 2-3 best 22 players in the long term. Given we haven’t had a first round pick, can’t be too upset with the improvements to the best 22 added the last couple of years.

There's been only 3 games this year where we weren't a chance to win in the final 5 minutes. Every single other loss we've had has been because we were missing that extra 5% to get us over the line. Replacing our bottom two players with proven commodities is absolutely going to lift us up a level. We can't wait an extra 3-4 years for draftees to become good while guys like Pearce get older.
Spot on,
We are so close yet not good enough. Injuries have cost us but injuries will continue to happen. Get a few more proven talents, plus our natural progression and we will be flying.

Remember, we lost Shultz last year. With him this year we might have even got top 4 too but not enough for the whole thing.

2023 /2024 offseason we added Cooper Simpson, Ollie Murphy, Jack Delean, Odin Jones, Jeremy Sharp and Patrick Voss to our list.

2022 / 2023 offseason recruited Hugh Davies, Tom Emmett, Max Knobel, Corey Wagner, Liam Reidy, Josh Draper, Conrad Williams.

In 2022 / 2023 we added Luke Jackson, JOM, Corbett via trade.

Each offseason you need to find 2-3 best 22 players in the long term. Given we haven’t had a first round pick, can’t be too upset with the improvements to the best 22 added the last couple of years.
I would only have Sharp and Jackson in our best 22 with a fully fit list at this stage. Some decent long term prospects in Draper, Davies and Simpson. But massive question marks on the rest. It sucks we have to overpay and give so many extra years in contracts to bring players in or keep them here. Darcy, Cox and Jackson should of got 5 years max and less money. But I guess as a club beggars can't be choosers.

Spot on,
We are so close yet not good enough. Injuries have cost us but injuries will continue to happen. Get a few more proven talents, plus our natural progression and we will be flying.

Remember, we lost Shultz last year. With him this year we might have even got top 4 too but not enough for the whole thing.
Every team deals with injuries. Just have to find a way to get it done and I know they are 3 very important guys to our structure but if we are relying on going through a full season injury free we are going nowhere.

We have had a very soft draw this year but failed to beat any good teams who were in form. On paper beating the Lions and Dogs looks good but we played them when they were in awful form. Sydney at the SCG was the only impressive win we've had. We've just stacked wins against scrub teams we should be beating.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade who are optimists but I'm just being realistic.

Last edited:
Every team deals with injuries. Just have to find a way to get it done and I know they are 3 very important guys to our structure but if we are relying on going through a full season injury free we are going nowhere.

We have had a very soft draw this year but failed to beat any good teams who were in form. On paper beating the Lions and Dogs looks good but we played them when they were in awful form. Sydney at the SCG was the only impressive win we've had. We've just stacked wins against scrub teams we should be beating.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade who are optimists but I'm just being realistic.
I agree we have have to be better but all team struggle to cover their best players, especially their spine.

I think our draw has hard, particularly for a bottom 5 team. We continue to get no favours there. We have also lost a lot of games by bugged all, this is a good sign. It means we are close. Make the gap between our best and worse games smaller for a few more players and we start winning those close ones.

I would only have Sharp and Jackson in our best 22 with a fully fit list at this stage. Some decent long term prospects in Draper, Davies and Simpson. But massive question marks on the rest. It sucks we have to overpay and give so many extra years in contracts to bring players in or keep them here. Darcy, Cox and Jackson should of got 5 years max and less money. But I guess as a club beggars can't be choosers.
I think you'll find the reason these players have longer term contracts was to reduce the money we pay them on average.

In fact, its clearly a strategy that we have implemented across the whole list, longer term contracts to give players security while paying them less.

The fact that we are chasing Warner and Bolton shows we have managed the cap pretty damn well around this space.

JOM is not up to the modern game where you need pace, unfortunately Nat is in the same boat

Very good players (especially Nat)in their prime but we have got to look to the future, Hawks got rid of JOM and Mitchell and went backwards for a while but they are now flying after bringing in some youth with run
Cannot believe Brodie is averaging 35+ and Erasmus too for Peel, yet the coaches highly value JOM’s leadership.
This is why we’re a joke with culture.

We’re scared to drop any leaders. Scared to say nah you’re not good enough at 30, it’s time to retire.
Instead we push out De Boer at 26, yet JOM is sticking around.

Fremantle will never be serious with the contracts given out.

2 more years of it.

If Sturt and Brodie leaves, the whole department is a joke. Thought the club have changed, moved on from sentimentality but nope, this season it’s obvious.

Hoping for De Lean and Simpson to really have a big pre season.
Voss having another one would be huge tbh. Wouldn’t be against Voss, Amiss, Treacy next season in B22.
Have Jackson and Darcy rotating through..

Biggest issue is small forward.
GWS had Daniels and Jones. Match winners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it’s not just “3 very important guys”. It’s the 3 most structurally important players across the ground.
It’s not about needing to be injury free. It’s about not having those 3 specific players injured at the same time.

Any one of them out, sure we can generally cover for, and compensate around the ground- but all three at the same time is a critical hit to our entire structure and we (or any team) are always going to be up against it.

Injuries happen yes, but this is not something that happens to every team.

Berry plus one of Richards or Owies would be good.

Need to keep Sturt as well

Not against Richards - don’t really rate Owies tbh.

I don’t think getting one of the WA boys like Motlop orJones back home is overly unrealistic tbh. Both have higher upside but we might need to wait a year or two for their peak. It’d be less than most draftees would take though.

Someone like Serong has built unrealistic expectations as to when good players really come good. Look at Young - absolute gun but was just a player we hoped would get to that level for the first 3-4 years. Can we wait for year four (2028) or five (2029) for new draftees? Maybe but it shortens our premiership window if players like Pearce retire around the same time.

Last edited:

I don’t think getting one of the WA boys like Motlop orJones back home is overly unrealistic tbh. Both have higher upside but we might need to wait a year or two for their peak. It’d be less than most draftees would take though.

Someone like Serong has built unrealistic expectations as to when good players really come good. Look at Young - absolute gun but was just a player we hoped would get to that level for the first 3-4 years. Can we wait for year four (2028) or five (2029) for new draftees? Maybe but it shortens our premiership window if players like Pearce retire around the same time.

Jones would be elite. Quick agile and one touch.

Motlop similar to Owies. A bit slow.

Realistically, even if we miss Baker and Bolton and head to the draft, I don't think we would need to wait three to four years for the kids to come good. They could contribute by simply fulfilling a role and raising our floor.

We don't need these kids to be hitting their straps as Young is now. We just need them to play a role and do it well enough to push out a Banners or Wags type for example. Further, given our team is fairly strong and well structured, we should expect these kids to be well supported to come in and just play a role.

Take a look at what Kozzie did in a solid side in his first few years. Had an instant impact.

Any draftees we take (or young players that we trade in) don't need to be world beaters from day one, they just need to be better than our 23rd and 22nd players.

Jones and / or Motlop would be great additions, if the opportunity arose. And I'd be confident they could improve our 22 while they develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back