List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen almost every game Jordan Butts has played, just about the least exposure he's had would be small forward/defender closely followed by rucking, he's played all KPP positions and wing the most though I do recall him taking the boundary ruck ball ins a few times when playing full forward a la Tex in his overage year at the Bushies. Toby Murray however did quite a bit of rucking at the Bushies both in his draft year and his overage year,.

Not sure I'd be too keen to ruck Jordan Butts with his propensity to pick up niggles.

Such a Jordon Butts expert that you can't even spell his name correctly

They don't, but as i say, who will be left as most of the good fa's are signed up now or supposedly have big offers from other clubs. We might bring in another burgess levl player as an FA at best

We just need some bodies - depth and experience

Have a read of this article on the Hawks rise

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We just need some bodies - depth and experience

Have a read of this article on the Hawks rise

They have a distinct advantage over us though - they are a Victorian club and of the 4 that came to them, 3 are victorian with one being an ex champion of theirs in Gunston so they didn't have the state relocation factor to have to deal with and thats huge today

They have a distinct advantage over us though - they are a Victorian club and of the 4 that came to them, 3 are victorian with one being an ex champion of theirs in Gunston so they didn't have the state relocation factor to have to deal with and thats huge today

I agree it’s not easy - Port bought 4 in though

We will never be a top team if we have to rely entirely on the draft.

This year we start 5 good players behind most other teams

Murray Schoenberg Thilthorpe injured
Doedee and McAdam traded

All arguably best 18 - but without question best 25

Bring in 2-3 best 25 - not necessarily stars and the impact would have been significantly less.

Hawks were down Day and Lewis early - but had 4 blokes come in who improved their 22 so the impact was minimal. Even then it took Day coming back to really kick start their form

I agree it’s not easy - Port bought 4 in though

We will never be a top team if we have to rely entirely on the draft.

This year we start 5 good players behind most other teams

Murray Schoenberg Thilthorpe injured
Doedee and McAdam traded

All arguably best 18 - but without question best 25

Bring in 2-3 best 25 - not necessarily stars and the impact would have been significantly less.

Hawks were down Day and Lewis early - but had 4 blokes come in who improved their 22 so the impact was minimal. Even then it took Day coming back to really kick start their form

I think different, bringing in more foot soldiers is not really what we need, we need high end talent. Not knowing the ins and outs of our list payments etc, but if we had the money, I would have loved us to offer a deal to Hugh McLuggage that would have blown Brisbane out of the water and given him a real decision to make. Someone like that as a FA would make a real difference to our side.

yes port brought in 4 interstaters - but realistically would any of them - Rat, BZT, Rioli and I can't remember the other one be better than what we already have? They were lesser players and not the stars (rioli once was but drugs and a ban etc have taken that edge away along with age)

I suppose what I am saying is if we have the money, we needed to make an offer one of the very top free agents would find too hard to refuse as they are the difference makers to a side

I think different, bringing in more foot soldiers is not really what we need, we need high end talent. Not knowing the ins and outs of our list payments etc, but if we had the money, I would have loved us to offer a deal to Hugh McLuggage that would have blown Brisbane out of the water and given him a real decision to make. Someone like that as a FA would make a real difference to our side.

yes port brought in 4 interstaters - but realistically would any of them - Rat, BZT, Rioli and I can't remember the other one be better than what we already have? They were lesser players and not the stars (rioli once was but drugs and a ban etc have taken that edge away along with age)

I suppose what I am saying is if we have the money, we needed to make an offer one of the very top free agents would find too hard to refuse as they are the difference makers to a side

I think we need both. We have barely any quality 100-150 gamers. Keays, Murphy, ROB and Dawson.
And facts show you don’t have a good team until you have 10-12 in that space at the minimum

So we have a long way to go to wait for the rest to catch up. Guys like Perryman and Cummings will be important targets for us - without being big names

I think we need both. We have barely any quality 100-150 gamers. Keays, Murphy, ROB and Dawson.
And facts show you don’t have a good team until you have 10-12 in that space at the minimum

So we have a long way to go to wait for the rest to catch up. Guys like Perryman and Cummings will be important targets for us - without being big names

I absolutely agree re the bold - they are better than what we have in my opinion so would add to our side. But ringing in a burgess level player again is not really the answer. I am a believer we should be continuing to pump games into our better young players rather than tie up spots with average free agents that may have experience as its the Dan Curtin's, the Dowlings, the Taylors we should now be prioritising unless what we can get in is vastly better

Going back to my comment on another thread about deadwood

RFAs are good and bad in that who are they replacing and can you trust the selectors to fall the right way

Jen talks about negative bias or more accurately a vision for the future . My negativity thinks - lets say 3 RFAs - are they really replacing Murphy/McHenry etc or do we shuffle the under 30 game brigade back

I do agree there is a need to bring in 100-150 game players - but at whose expense?

We were rumoured to have offered Gulden and McCluggage $1m pa multi year deals
Still couldnt get the deal done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were rumoured to have offered Gulden and McCluggage $1m pa multi year deals
Still couldnt get the deal done
McLuggage was rumoured to have signed with Brisbane for around $1mil per year for a number of years. We would have needed to be closer to $1.3-1.5mil per year. If we had the money, then we again approached trading a dollar short and a day late

McLuggage was rumoured to have signed with Brisbane for around $1mil per year for a number of years. We would have needed to be closer to $1.3-1.5mil per year. If we had the money, then we again approached trading a dollar short and a day late
Reid seems to be pretty hopeless.

Reid seems to be pretty hopeless.
Its a fine line when managers are playing both sides

Reid as a former manager should have some knowledge of the tactics used and wont overprice a possible recruit just to fill the players boot elsewhere

Its a fine line when managers are playing both sides

Reid as a former manager should have some knowledge of the tactics used and wont overprice a possible recruit just to fill the players boot elsewhere
I just think if you really want a player and think they will be the difference between mediocrity and a premiership push, you just do whatever you have to to get them. is it overpaying to offer McLuggage $1.3-$1.5 per year for 7 years say, maybe...but adding him into our midfield, not losing draft capital so we can still go after a top mid in the draft and bolster the area of the ground that has been our weakness compared to other top end sides, you simply just have to do it as its all about getting a flag and unless you have all the tools you need, its almost impossible to win one.

I absolutely agree re the bold - they are better than what we have in my opinion so would add to our side. But ringing in a burgess level player again is not really the answer. I am a believer we should be continuing to pump games into our better young players rather than tie up spots with average free agents that may have experience as its the Dan Curtin's, the Dowlings, the Taylors we should now be prioritising unless what we can get in is vastly better

Yep - for clarity, I am talking best 23 players (like Hawks) not 3rd level depth like Burgess who is probably sitting as the 35th ish player on our list

You're dreaming if you think money is a reason for that decision. We happily would have offered whatever he wanted, as would have a few Vic clubs.

He got a very good deal to stay, and the vast majority of players would do the same in his position.

I just think if you really want a player and think they will be the difference between mediocrity and a premiership push, you just do whatever you have to to get them. is it overpaying to offer McLuggage $1.3-$1.5 per year for 7 years say, maybe...but adding him into our midfield, not losing draft capital so we can still go after a top mid in the draft and bolster the area of the ground that has been our weakness compared to other top end sides, you simply just have to do it as its all about getting a flag and unless you have all the tools you need, its almost impossible to win one.
St Kilda and others did offer him that.

Back