List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just because he could become a pillar of any teams defence but for the credibility of the club do what it takes to rebuff Collingwood’s advances to Mark Keane.

Not just because he could become a pillar of any teams defence but for the credibility of the club do what it takes to rebuff Collingwood’s advances to Mark Keane.
Just say no as he is contracted.

So tonight we are playing Butts on their best forward & letting Keane play off his man...

Its actually crucial for us to finish in that 4th bottom spot ad not outside the bottom 4 if you are looking at the top available (ie not academy or f/s aligned) rated mids

Finn O'Sullivan (likely no 1) - North
Josh Smillie - Richmond
Jagga Smith - West Coast
Sid Draper.....US??????

If we finish outside the bottom 4, then the talls look to be coming into it and taking one instead of being able to get one of the best mids would be an absolute disaster for the list
Seems like this Lalor is doing well.

I've said before we have the basics of a good list. We just need to work out who the deadwood is
Unfortunately the deadwood is the people who are in charge of identifying the deadwood

Despite all that is he someone you’d even give a 3 year deal?
6-7 is probably excessive, but 3 would be below the minimum someone like Battle is worth. If I were running the Hawks, I'd be offering 4 or 5 years personally. He's not Wilkie level, and his defensive numbers are a bit worse than Howard's this season, but he's a good defender.

Despite all that is he someone you’d even give a 3 year deal?

He is a good player. Not exceptional and not a need for us but would be a good option for the Hawks. So yeah if it took 5-6 years and you really needed a KPD absolutely. Much better player than the two boys the Power picked up

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep

A free agent KPD

You certainly don't want to be wasting draft capital on that part of the ground
Yes cheap from a draft collateral perspective but 6-7 years for an average and small (193cm) KPD is risky business IMO. Especially if triggering band one compo which is likely 900k+

Seems absolutely exorbitant IMO even considering the lack of FA options and the supply / demand dynamics inc for key backs

That’s the right way to set up, plays to their strengths
Agreed, but the question then becomes what is our best defensive makeup especially when Worrell is fit again?

Does Murray go onto the opposition’s best forward so that Keane and Worrell can zone off more to attack and intercept or does it become either Worrell or Keane as the third tall with Butts playing on the best forward paired with Murray on the second KF?

For me I think it’s either Keane or Worrell, and if everyone is fully fit then I’m picking Worrell first.

Agreed, but the question then becomes what is our best defensive makeup especially when Worrell is fit again?

Does Murray go onto the opposition’s best forward so that Keane and Worrell can zone off more to attack and intercept or does it become either Worrell or Keane as the third tall with Butts playing on the best forward paired with Murray on the second KF?

For me I think it’s either Keane or Worrell, and if everyone is fully fit then I’m picking Worrell first.
Depends on opposition match ups imo.

Worrell & Murray are givens.

Then between Butts & Keane depending on size & mobility of opposition forwards.

While the AFL debates the merits of trading 2 years into the future and how to manage salary cap trades, in the NBA there were multiple trades involving 2031 draft picks and at least 1 trade where one side received nothing except the players off their books.

Why do they need to manage salary cap trades, the market will dictate and if it's too lopsided they've got a veto right on all trades anyway. The draft isn't enough, the spooner gets pick 1 but then the same as the premier every other round. The PSD hasn't seen many guns move FOC to the bottom clubs and free agency has largely benefitted competing clubs, aside from a couple of outlier draft pick bonanzas. Selling unusable cap space for picks/players would help accelerate bottom club competitiveness.

I've said before we have the basics of a good list. We just need to work out who the deadwood is

Agree. Our 2 stat padding mids need to be replaced by elite mids. TT needs to turn into a genuine star key forward. We probably do need someone who can defend and run hard forward off half back. Smith is cooked and Milera way overrated around these parts. And instead of selection mediocre experience when we get to 20th spot on the side, we need to be working through and developing emerging talent. And a ruckman, ruckmen or a strategy change.

Just say no as he is contracted.

So tonight we are playing Butts on their best forward & letting Keane play off his man...

Not really that simple though. My preferred 3 tall backs is Murray, Keane & Worrell. Good aerial power and they all attack forwards. But that leaves Butts out and assumes Curtin doesn’t play behind the ball. If coaches favour Butts with Muz as the stopping key backs, it puts one of Worrell or Keane into the 2s. If that’s the case, we might as well drive a hard bargain while he’s contracted.

Yep, can’t play the 4 of them plus you’d think Curtin’s first proper batch of games will be around half back. My preference would be to trade Butts as he offers nothing with ball in hand. But if I had to bet at evens, I’d wager that, form permitting, Murray and Butts as the 2 key talks is the favoured structure for at least a season or 2 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back