List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gollant isn't AFL standard imo.
Berry - depends on the replacement via trade.
Gollant may not be but we are still yet to give him a genuine crack even with an injured Tex. We played him in the Thilthorpe role for a couple games and were shocked when he couldn’t pack mark as well as a bloke 10cm+ taller than him. Should be playing third fiddle to Fogarty/Tex and Thilthorpe/Himmelberg.

Last week was the first genuine crack we gave Berry and, while not polished, I thought there was absolutely something worth persisting with there. More than Schoenberg, who appears to be his list counterpart. Ultimately neither may be AFL quality but certainly have a higher ceiling than Smith and Burgess.

Gollant may not be but we are still yet to give him a genuine crack even with an injured Tex. We played him in the Thilthorpe role for a couple games and were shocked when he couldn’t pack mark as well as a bloke 10cm+ taller than him. Should be playing third fiddle to Fogarty/Tex and Thilthorpe/Himmelberg.

Last week was the first genuine crack we gave Berry and, while not polished, I thought there was absolutely something worth persisting with there. More than Schoenberg, who appears to be his list counterpart. Ultimately neither may be AFL quality but certainly have a higher ceiling than Smith and Burgess.
I just don't see a role long term for Gollant given we have better options - Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Welsh.

Berry I agree he's a better player than Schoenberg. I think ultimately we should be trying to get better players in their spots. Can we do that?
Time will tell.

I just don't see a role long term for Gollant given we have better options - Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Welsh.

Berry I agree he's a better player than Schoenberg. I think ultimately we should be trying to get better players in their spots. Can we do that?
Time will tell.
I think it’s a bold assumption that Welsh can walk into our starting lineup for the first or two (though I hope it’s the case). Again, neither may not be in our future 22 but very idea of a rebuild should suggest they be retained over Smith and Burgess who are emphatically not a part of our future and, really, don’t need to be part of our current either.

I think it’s a bold assumption that Welsh can walk into our starting lineup for the first or two (though I hope it’s the case). Again, neither may not be in our future 22 but very idea of a rebuild should suggest they be retained over Smith and Burgess who are emphatically not a part of our future and, really, don’t need to be part of our current either.
Talking about long term plan. If we play Gollant in 2025 it's most likely just for a gap. Smart thing to do would be to go shorter and develop the many mid sized mid forwards we've drafted and not played.

Talking about long term plan. If we play Gollant in 2025 it's most likely just for a gap. Smart thing to do would be to go shorter and develop the many mid sized mid forwards we've drafted and not played.
Neither of those things require Smith or Burgess being on the list though. My point is it’s poor to delist two young players who’ve showed signs but haven’t been given a decent run over two seniors who have had ample time to show they aren’t up to it.

Neither of those things require Smith or Burgess being on the list though. My point is it’s poor to delist two young players who’ve showed signs but haven’t been given a decent run over two seniors who have had ample time to show they aren’t up to it.
I don't think Berry will be delisted.
Gollant I think will depend on if Tex gets one more year.

4 players who all play in completely different positions, but anyway...
Burgess and Gollant essentially play the same role. Neither are tall enough to adequately play the Thilthorpe role. Regardless, I don’t get the argument you’re trying to make? We’ve depth in the Smith position plus trade and draft as avenues to cover his spot, all of which could be done whilst retaining Berry.

4 players who all play in completely different positions, but anyway...

Our list isn’t at the stage where we can delist players based on positions. We are still in the process of identifying talent.

I think the point is burgess and smith have reached their ceiling and are not good enough to contribute to a premiership side whereas we’re yet to give Berry and Gollant a good run of games to prove their case. If Bez is given a consistent time in midfield I think he can be a serviceable player with his defensive ability and line breaking skills although he’s never going to be elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne's age profile is correct, as you say. They're starting to look, even now, as over the hill.
They need forwards more than defenders though. Petty is playing at both ends of the ground but mainly forward. The recent injury to Lever saw him more down back. Someone might have a heat map to substantiate this. But irrespective of where he plays, he's a very attractive target for us as a post Tex addition to our forward line as well as being a perfect cover in defence when needed.

There are many in here who seem not to rate him which surprises me. He's an excellent (elite) contested mark and does all the things you require from a KPP. He has potential still to grow into a VERY good player especially if he focuses on one end of the ground.

If Melbourne hold him to his last year of contract, they'll get very little for him the following year. They need forwards and they're desperate for them right now. I think Gollant would be a good fit for them. If so, the price this year to us in getting Petty becomes significantly less. Our upside is substantial as we add a mature and immediate best 22 player. We also have a more balanced squad for when the inevitable injuries come.

I'd like Harrison Petty to be wearing the tri colours next year. It makes us better.
If you think Petty is an attractive forward option, then you haven’t seen him play forward. He’s a decent defender but we have 4 guys on our list already that are just as good or better + Borlase. Even if you want to split hairs that he’s better than Butts (I don’t) or Keane, it’s not by anywhere near enough that you’d pay him what you’d need to to extract him and give up early draft picks (Gollant isn’t moving the needle on any trades). Take our mids with our early picks this year and get him for nothing next year. No brainer.

Anyone else think that, after his carnival efforts, Welsh might slip to a rookie pick? Had moments, but not totally sold (although noting he did have a pretty good carnival last year).

Also, given we are likely to fall two spots behind the Saints (Battle out, 1st Round made up compo coming), I assume Draper will be off the table for us?

Does anyone think Milera has some currency? He seems very injury prone.

Would trading him be a risk/pointless this year because of the need to match a Welsh bid?

Nope. He is the worst defender in the team. He has good disposal but he has at least 2 brain fades every game directly costing goals. He cannot defend 1 on 1 which has been evident this whole year. If we are able to trade him to Collingwood for something like a 2nd rounder, id be happy with that.
We might be able to get a first rounder from Collingwood for Keane. Their first pick will likely be a late first rounder. They gave up a first for Shultz from Freo last year so they have shown they are happy to pay a bit overs to get the deal done. Still contracted for a year which helps. Add some later pick swaps to push it slightly more into their favour if we need to.

If the offer is only for their 2nd which would end up being a pick in the mid to late 30's then we should hold him for another year.

Anyone else think that, after his carnival efforts, Welsh might slip to a rookie pick? Had moments, but not totally sold (although noting he did have a good carnival last year).

Also, given we are likely to fall two spots behind the Saints (Battle out, 1st Round made up compo coming), I assume Draper will be off the table for us?

That would be brilliant. The lower he falls, the better.

If anybody listened to Hoyne this week, you'd be aware that Adelaide is the equal best defensive profile in the competition last 6 weeks along with Sydney and Carlton.

Amazing stat, a lot of credit goes to Keane who is the 4th best intercept defender since round 8.

We can't transition out of defensive though. Forwards are doing really well, so it's the transition game. To my eye, its such a slow transition, we could do with speed out of defence.

Have a listen from 15:30 minute mark at the Guess Who part of the recording.

If anybody listened to Hoyne this week, you'd be aware that Adelaide is the equal best defensive profile in the competition last 6 weeks along with Sydney and Carlton.

Amazing stat, a lot of credit goes to Keane who is the 4th best intercept defender since round 8.

We can't transition out of defensive though. Forwards are doing really well, so it's the transition game. To my eye, its such a slow transition, we could do with speed out of defence.

impressive considering we don't have Worrell and Keane also let Amartey kick 9 on him

100% agree, and I think we're also not doing great defensively when the opposition are in transition, thus coughing up a lot of Inside 50's. Where we're doing well is defending when the ball actually gets in there, but it's a numbers game and the I50 rate has been pretty relentless at times.

Opposition transitioning out of their defence has been pretty easy (When you have Tex/Fog/Berg trying to apply pressure!), although I feel like we've tightened that up a bit.

impressive considering we don't have Worrell and Keane also let Amartey kick 9 on him

Having Amartey kick 9 on Keane was a bit of an unusual outlier, particularly with Murray back. I thought Sydney did really well in isolating him. At this stage it doesn't feel like Murray has taken the number 1 defender, I noticed him sitting near the D50 line and actually working up the ground a bit on occasion. Regardless it looked a bit more settled against GWS

Anyone else think that, after his carnival efforts, Welsh might slip to a rookie pick? Had moments, but not totally sold (although noting he did have a pretty good carnival last year).

Even if we snag a few wins and there's a compo pick we still may get Draper. The top 10 is more wide open near the end of the Nationals than it was when it started and he wasn't as prominent as he was as an under-ager. If he's gone and assuming we're still in the top 10, we'll almost certainly still get a top tier player - as long as Hamish doesn't get cute again and do a Jones/McAsey type reach.

One thing that will greatly annoy me is if we are again unable to attract talent to the club who isn't South Australian, and Port Adelaide do. Super irritating to hear from Twomey & I think Kim Dillon on radio indicate that Perryman and other players like Ainsworth are a chance for Port, but highly unlikely for the Crows. Why? (Despite Twomey saying as early as May 1st that the Crows had 'entered the race for Perryman'..)

I think it's great that we're linked to Petty, Lukosius, Cummings (Broken Hill is basically SA) Daniel etc, but where's our ability to attract interstate talent? Like.... Nicks coached there in 2019 and surely would have spent time with Cummings and Perryman. Wouldn't this be a huge opportunity to get both? We surely have the coin, and wouldn't both want to stay on the same team? They come across as close mates who were drafted in the same year....

It's bizarre that there's not even an article posing such a trade scoop, and linking back up with Nicks...

It also doesn't fill me with confidence hearing Nicks saying he doesn't believe we need wholesale changes at the end of the year...

Last edited:
One thing that will greatly annoy me is if we are again unable to attract talent to the club who isn't South Australian, and Port Adelaide do. Super irritating to hear from Twomey & I think Kim Dillon on radio indicate that Perryman and other players like Ainsworth are a chance for Port, but highly unlikely for the Crows. Why? (Despite Twomey saying as early as May 1st that the Crows had 'entered the race for Perryman'..)

I think it's great that we're linked to Petty, Lukosius, Cummings (Broken Hill is basically SA) Daniel etc, but where's our ability to attract interstate talent? Like.... Nicks coached there in 2019 and surely would have spent time with Cummings and Perryman. Wouldn't this be a huge opportunity to get both? We surely have the coin, and wouldn't both want to stay on the same team? They come across as close mates who were drafted in the same year....

It's bizarre that there's not even an article posing such a trade scoop, and linking back up with Nicks...

It also doesn't fill me with confidence hearing Nicks saying he doesn't believe we need wholesale changes at the end of the year...
Perryman doesn't like Nicks........???

Back