List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could have drafted him, went for Parnell instead, it’s not as if we needed a young developing ruck or 2 on the list

Why do people insist, wrongly, that Hamish has a good record outside the first round?

Look at the mid season draft here

Anyone else think that, after his carnival efforts, Welsh might slip to a rookie pick? Had moments, but not totally sold (although noting he did have a pretty good carnival last year).

Also, given we are likely to fall two spots behind the Saints (Battle out, 1st Round made up compo coming), I assume Draper will be off the table for us?

Welsh will still get avid around 18-25 I reckon. Maybe out to 30.

Draper will be available at our pick. If anything it will be a reach for us. At this stage he is unlikely to be top 10

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Welsh - Bidney currently holding back to back picks 18/19 which will be 21/22 once a few bids are matched. They might disrupt us again?

Also, who knows what changes to draft rules the AFL will make for this years draft that will affect us with Welsh.

Welsh - Bidney currently holding back to back picks 18/19 which will be 21/22 once a few bids are matched. They might disrupt us again?

Also, who knows what changes to draft rules the AFL will make for this years draft that will affect us with Welsh.
I'd say the AFL will be very hesitant to implement any meaningful change this year to the bidding rules. Seems to have been too much backlash. Not that what the fans and media think matters much, but the correspondence from the clubs back to the AFL was probably along the same lines. Too much planning and forethought goes in to building a list for the AFL to make sweeping changes on the fly. Not that it has seemed to have stopped them in the past.

But clearly the change the AFL want to make is to force clubs to use significant picks when matching a bid. Using a bunch of junk picks to match a bid on a player has provided too much benefit to the clubs that were aligned to father/son or academy players. It seems unlikely Welsh will go high enough to give us anything to worry about. Carlton are the ones in the gun if changes are made with the Camporeale brothers.

I'd say the AFL will be very hesitant to implement any meaningful change this year to the bidding rules. Seems to have been too much backlash. Not that what the fans and media think matters much, but the correspondence from the clubs back to the AFL was probably along the same lines. Too much planning and forethought goes in to building a list for the AFL to make sweeping changes on the fly. Not that it has seemed to have stopped them in the past.

But clearly the change the AFL want to make is to force clubs to use significant picks when matching a bid. Using a bunch of junk picks to match a bid on a player has provided too much benefit to the clubs that were aligned to father/son or academy players. It seems unlikely Welsh will go high enough to give us anything to worry about. Carlton are the ones in the gun if changes are made with the Camporeale brothers.

Whatever changes to the bidding system need to be done with several years notice. Clubs with academy/father son picks coming up have been planning based on the current system and traded picks accordingly.

It would not be fair to pull the rug out from underneath clubs now.

IMO the ideal time to change the rules up would be the year before Tassie’s entrance.

I mentioned on the draft thread that GC currently have picks 8 and 9
They’ll be looking to flog these off as will get sucked up by a Lombard bid

We should be offering a pick swap - GC pick 8 for our 2025 1st
We then can aim for an end of season crop of;

Draft

Draper
Lalor
Welsh

FA
Cumming

If we can trade someone for a 2nd rounder then offer Melb 2 x 2nd rounders for Petty take it or he comes the nothing next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leadership group I'd like to see in 2025

Captain -
Jordan Dawson
Leadership - Darcy Fogarty, Max Michalanney, Nick Murray

No stand-alone VC at this stage, until one of the others step up and separates themself from the pack. In the meantime, it can rotate between those 3.

Good mix of mid, forward, defense.

Dawson - obvious. One of the best capitanos in the AFL.

Fogarty - In our leadership group already, and needs to be the one to take the bull by the horns in the forward line. We've had a vocal, strong leader there in Tex for the last decade - your turn Fog.

Max - He's my heir apparent for the C gig. Tough, committed, skillful and plays a team game. He will be a lead by example type Captain, but I think will become more and more confident if given more responsibility and opportunity

N.Murray - Toughest player on our list. He's a physical presence, and down the track should be given the mandate to impose himself wherever the game needs him, be it down back, up forward or around stoppage.

Don't give me this Keays, ROB, Murph, Milera, Smith sh**. When the whips are cracking, i'm not following them to my death.

Hinge unlucky, with him and Rankine next cabs off the rank, but let's not dilute the priveledge and responsibility by having a dozen players in there.

Time for a bit of a change.

Last edited:
If we can trade someone for a 2nd rounder then offer Melb 2 x 2nd rounders for Petty take it or he comes the nothing next year
With Petty it will be interesting what potential FA compensation the Dees would get if they were to lose him next year?

Two 2nds for him, may be as good as it may get.

I mentioned on the draft thread that GC currently have picks 8 and 9
They’ll be looking to flog these off as will get sucked up by a Lombard bid

We should be offering a pick swap - GC pick 8 for our 2025 1st
We then can aim for an end of season crop of;

Draft

Draper
Lalor
Welsh

FA
Cumming

We’ll start next year with Tex a year older and Laird and Crouch bolted into our midfield. There’s a risk we’ll be handing over 3 or 4 for 8.

With Petty it will be interesting what potential FA compensation the Dees would get if they were to lose him next year?

Two 2nds for him, may be as good as it may get.
Among the draft changes I reckon FA compo will be wound back so there's less impact on the first round. Was it pick 29 last year that saw the end of the first round? That's just nuts. From next year players like Petty probably won't be generating much in the way of a compo pick so IF he wants to come, we MAY be able to wangle a deal but we don't have much in the way of draft picks to work with.

I'm all in to try and get another high pick this year, why delay, bring forward 2025 assets into this draft while it's so strong on high quality mids.

Captain -
Jordan Dawson

No stand-alone VC at this stage, until one of the others step up and separates themself from the pack. In the meantime, it can rotate between those 3.

Fogarty - In our leadership group already, and needs to be the one to take the bull by the horns in the forward line. We've had a vocal, strong leader there in Tex for the last decade - your turn Fog.

Max - He's my heir apparent for the C gig. Tough, committed, skillful and plays a team game. He will be a lead by example type Captain, but I think will become more and more confident if given more responsibility and opportunity

N.Murray - Toughest player on our list. He's a physical presence, and down the track should be given the mandate to impose himself wherever the game needs him, be it down back, up forward or around stoppage.

Don't give me this Keays, ROB, Murph, Milera, Smith sh**. When the whips are cracking, i'm not following them to my death.

Hinge unlucky, with him and Rankine next cabs off the rank, but let's not dilute the priveledge and responsibility by having a dozen players in there.

Rankine over Fog IMO.

Often there would be some info coming out by now linking us to him if he was going to come.

Rankine and Dawson were linked late

Cummings been out injured for most of the year would have kept him off the radar

Normally when we are linked earlish in the media we don’t get them

Captain -
Jordan Dawson

I like the thought of Murray

Cummings been out injured for most of the year would have kept him off the radar

Rankine rumours didn’t even start until August that year, at this point the only talk was that he was keen to stay.

Captain -
Jordan Dawson

Fog isn't a vocal, strong leader though. He also has too many low effort games still to be a leader, not the kind of example you want your leaders to be setting.

MM has played 30 odd games, let him settle into his career first. Murray's also played less than 50 and just had a year out.

Not sure what you've got against Milera but his calm and composure on the field is something we should be tapping into. Still one of our most talented players if his body will let him get a run a it.

Rankine has proved himself this season as has Hinge, both would be good leaders.

Early links come direct from managers who are trying to drive the price up to get a contract extension, not change clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back