List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gollant may not be but we are still yet to give him a genuine crack even with an injured Tex. We played him in the Thilthorpe role for a couple games and were shocked when he couldn’t pack mark as well as a bloke 10cm+ taller than him. Should be playing third fiddle to Fogarty/Tex and Thilthorpe/Himmelberg.

Last week was the first genuine crack we gave Berry and, while not polished, I thought there was absolutely something worth persisting with there. More than Schoenberg, who appears to be his list counterpart. Ultimately neither may be AFL quality but certainly have a higher ceiling than Smith and Burgess.

Gollant is a borderline call.

The way he carries on in the SANFL makes me think he isn’t necessarily the kind of character you want around a club. If it’s a borderline call I’m getting rid of him.

Gollant is a borderline call.

The way he carries on in the SANFL makes me think he isn’t necessarily the kind of character you want around a club. If it’s a borderline call I’m getting rid of him.
This carry on you talk about, care to enlighten us?

And you wonder why they're not interested?

10 minutes with Flyhead, they'd know he is a no-hoper.
The year he was there is the only year they made the GF under Leon

Some coaches look top notch as assistants, but just aren’t cut out for the top job. Fingers crossed they remember Nicks fondly (though I thought it was said earlier this week we’re out of the Perryman race?)

This carry on you talk about, care to enlighten us?

Generally speaking, I’ve heard from SANFL players from multiple clubs who have stories of him being a cocky, arrogant prick who thinks he’s above them simply because he’s on a list (even when he’s being soundly beaten by those very players).

Heres an interesting thought... Hypothetically... If oliver were actually available end of this year... Would u trade 5 for him? .. he hasnt been great this year also considering the issues he will come with.
I would want a 1st rounder back

We would be taking on his contract

Heres an interesting thought... Hypothetically... If oliver were actually available end of this year... Would u trade 5 for him? .. he hasnt been great this year also considering the issues he will come with.
Absolutely not. He’s 27 in a couple of weeks and 9 seasons into his career. While a draft pick is always a risk, any mid in the top 10 I’d feel better about than taking on the risk that Oliver’s career isn’t in decline. And you’d get those 9 extra seasons with the draft pick. Even if we were top 4 and looking for a final puzzle piece, I wouldn’t do that deal.

Anyone else think that, after his carnival efforts, Welsh might slip to a rookie pick? Had moments, but not totally sold (although noting he did have a pretty good carnival last year).

Also, given we are likely to fall two spots behind the Saints (Battle out, 1st Round made up compo coming), I assume Draper will be off the table for us?

Not as far as rookie, but we definitely don’t need to worry about bids in the first round. Most likely not the second either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on the Advertiser on contract status of players.

Walker - Waiting until later in the year
Berry - Delayed talks until the end of the season
Cook - Expected to announce an extension in the next few weeks.
Hamill - Still undecided
McHenry - Not seen as a first choice player, but might keep for depth.
Smith - Games played trigger will get him a deal for next year.
Himmelberg - No talks yet, if GWS offer him a deal he's likely going there.
Borlase - He's been offered a 2 year extension. Hasn't talked to other clubs, but since he's a free agent he's likely to wait until the end of the year and see if a better offer comes.
Parnell - No contract offered yet
Sholl - No real info other than he's played well, so you'd think they'd want to keep him.
Bond - Another wait and see
Gollant - Might come down to squad balance that determines if he gets a deal or not. Had interest from other clubs in the past.

So basically the only new news is Cook sounds like a deal is imminent and Borlase has been offered one.

I would absolutely but with some conditions.
First...I want him to have a thorough medical with Burgess involved. I mean a real deep dive. Psych as well. But after all that, we're better placed than anyone to get this stuff right due to Burgess already knowing intimately what numbers "fit Oliver" can produce. Does he want to regain that level? Again Burgess knows the guy better than anyone outside of Melbourne FC. It would be a massive decision for the club. I would trust Burgess to come to the best decision possible about Oliver's physical and psychological future.

Secondly...his contract is a serious undertaking. But if point 1 is satisfied, then I believe the contract is not excessive. It's a couple of years longer than I'd prefer but the money is par for a top flite mid. Additionally, if Melbourne are trading him now, they will definately contribute to the trade by either part payment or draft collateral. Remember, if they're trading, we're actually assisting them. They'll understand this and contribute. No doubt about it. Jack Bowes moving from GC to Geelong is the precident with an early first rounder. This trade holds greater risk so an early first is the least we would expect. It's important to remember we'd be removing a five year anchor on their footy club. They'll do the math and pay up.

Third... assuming point 1 and 2, imagine a starting midfield of Dawson, Rankine and Oliver. PLUS an early first to be used where needed. There is risk in taking Oliver on but the upside of that risk is as high as any player in the draft. Peak Oliver is a potential Brownlow medalist. And we'd have him for 5-6 years.

I read hundreds and hundreds of posts in here about how our club is conservative, going nowhere, is focussed on the business more than the football, is aiming no higher than finals. Well I say that, with some risk but great dare, this move makes more sense than ever because it says to all the football world, all the coaches, all the players, all the members, all the media... for the first time in many years, we're all in!!

I want us to go for it. I'm sick of doing SFA and aspiring to mediocrity. I want to be brave and take a chance. An Oliver recruitment is a moment in time which will pass. I want us to act decisively. ALL IN!!

Article on the Advertiser on contract status of players.

Walker - Waiting until later in the year
Berry - Delayed talks until the end of the season
Cook - Expected to announce an extension in the next few weeks.
Hamill - Still undecided
McHenry - Not seen as a first choice player, but might keep for depth.
Smith - Games played trigger will get him a deal for next year.
Himmelberg - No talks yet, if GWS offer him a deal he's likely going there.
Borlase - He's been offered a 2 year extension. Hasn't talked to other clubs, but since he's a free agent he's likely to wait until the end of the year and see if a better offer comes.
Parnell - No contract offered yet
Sholl - No real info other than he's played well, so you'd think they'd want to keep him.
Bond - Another wait and see
Gollant - Might come down to squad balance that determines if he gets a deal or not. Had interest from other clubs in the past.

So basically the only new news is Cook sounds like a deal is imminent and Borlase has been offered one.

Berry is the one that may come back to bite us if he moves on. Certainly in the shop window now.
Sholl is an interesting one, may be club(s) interested if he keeps his current form up. I would have happily let him go a month ago, not so sure now.
Bond will surely get another year, he’s a slow burn.
Need to keep at least one or two of Tex, Gollant, Berg.
Borlase/Hamill are good depth, don’t blame either of them for testing the market though.
Parnell is done, Ned should be.
Smith, no comment.

Another Smith of the Henry Smith variety having a big big game for the Lions VFL vs Demons VFL playing forward/chop out ruck to Darcy Fort 13 disposals 3 clearances 7 marks 10 HO's 3.1 to half time. Will Verrall doing OK against the Fort/Smith ruck combo too with 13 HO's and 3 clearances.

Another Smith of the Henry Smith variety having a big big game for the Lions VFL vs Demons VFL playing forward/chop out ruck to Darcy Fort 13 disposals 3 clearances 7 marks 10 HO's 3.1 to half time. Will Verrall doing OK against the Fort/Smith ruck combo too with 13 HO's and 3 clearances.
He is someone we should be looking at. Former WWT junior. Better than ROB.

Do you think Verrall is ready to be a first choice ruck now physically or does he still need a couple more seasons in the gym?

Smith intrigues me as a prospect, he really seems to have improved massively this season.

I would absolutely but with some conditions.
First...I want him to have a thorough medical with Burgess involved. I mean a real deep dive. Psych as well. But after all that, we're better placed than anyone to get this stuff right due to Burgess already knowing intimately what numbers "fit Oliver" can produce. Does he want to regain that level? Again Burgess knows the guy better than anyone outside of Melbourne FC. It would be a massive decision for the club. I would trust Burgess to come to the best decision possible about Oliver's physical and psychological future.

Secondly...his contract is a serious undertaking. But if point 1 is satisfied, then I believe the contract is not excessive. It's a couple of years longer than I'd prefer but the money is par for a top flite mid. Additionally, if Melbourne are trading him now, they will definately contribute to the trade by either part payment or draft collateral. Remember, if they're trading, we're actually assisting them. They'll understand this and contribute. No doubt about it. Jack Bowes moving from GC to Geelong is the precident with an early first rounder. This trade holds greater risk so an early first is the least we would expect. It's important to remember we'd be removing a five year anchor on their footy club. They'll do the math and pay up.

Third... assuming point 1 and 2, imagine a starting midfield of Dawson, Rankine and Oliver. PLUS an early first to be used where needed. There is risk in taking Oliver on but the upside of that risk is as high as any player in the draft. Peak Oliver is a potential Brownlow medalist. And we'd have him for 5-6 years.

I read hundreds and hundreds of posts in here about how our club is conservative, going nowhere, is focussed on the business more than the football, is aiming no higher than finals. Well I say that, with some risk but great dare, this move makes more sense than ever because it says to all the football world, all the coaches, all the players, all the members, all the media... for the first time in many years, we're all in!!

I want us to go for it. I'm sick of doing SFA and aspiring to mediocrity. I want to be brave and take a chance. An Oliver recruitment is a moment in time which will pass. I want us to act decisively. ALL IN!!
There’s going for it and there’s taking other club’s problems cause we’re desperate. If we bypass taking an elite mid in the draft again when we have one on a silver platter, we don’t deserve to win a flag.

Back