List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The kid is a lock when fit - not a case of persistence. Assuming he gets his body right and has some luck he will be a gun

Kicked multiple goals in 9 games last year in his first full run at it

The loss of Pedlar, Thilthorpe, McAdam and also Walker doing his back early on undoubtedly blunted our potent forward line from last year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Reckon the loss of our forward coach has been the biggest issue... exacerbated by a slow ball movement game plan.

Reckon the loss of our forward coach has been the biggest issue... exacerbated by a slow ball movement game plan.

Has t helped for sure. But we haven’t had nearly the talent down there either. Even Rankine (who missed a few games pre bye as well) was up the field a fair amount. Berg, Murphy, McHenry early on, and Cook are a fair way off the boys we had last year

We’ve quickly forgotten how good Pedlar looked in 2023.

He definitely showed glimpses.

This year he had his face smashed in in round one, was idiotically played on Stewart in round two, and has had two major layoffs with his shoulder. We need to persist.

The pre-draft concerns about durability are ever present.

Has had one full season in four in the pro's and the worry is the Shoulder issues that plagued his junior career have now come back.

Contracted till 2026 - so still has plenty of time.

Tex said on AFL360 that he'd most likely want to play again next year now that he's proved his fitness, and that he's in conversations with Reid and Silvers. My preference is definitely to keep him – he still offers a lot when fit and we're in danger of shedding too many talls this off-season as it is. But he can't be the #1 forward target anymore.

Would love to keep him around for another 1-2 years.

As long as we are smart and rest him.

Has t helped for sure. But we haven’t had nearly the talent down there either. Even Rankine (who missed a few games pre bye as well) was up the field a fair amount. Berg, Murphy, McHenry early on, and Cook are a fair way off the boys we had last year

Changing our game plan has been the biggest reason why we have dropped this year.

Big reason for this is we lost imo our smartest strategic coach.

With Keane as if understand it right. He has another year to run on his current contract probably at the lower pay scale. He has had a great year so wants to renegotiate his contract now for longer and more money?

Not a crticism as I'd do the same if I was him but if he was on a big deal and his form slipped would be take a pay cut?

I'd do what I could to keep him and offer him a fair contract but he doesn’t fit the must keep category.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In case not already shared

Daniel Menzel has analysed the lists of both Adelaide and Port Adelaide to pick which club has the better youngsters.

The former Geelong and Sydney forward did the exercise by analysing both of the club’s players who are aged 26 or under and are currently in the best 22.

He found that both clubs have 11 of their 22 best players aged 26 or under at the start of 2025.

Menzel’s analysis focused on whether any of those players were already A-graders or could get there by the time they are 26 years old.

“I've had a look at Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows’ lists and where their team is built and their demographic age-wise,” Menzel told SEN SA Breakfast.

“The question is, who is set up to be in a better position in the coming seasons?

“For both Port and the Crows 11 of their best 22, so 50 per cent of their current team are under the age of 26.

“If you're going to have a crack at it for the next five or six years, guys that are past 26 we know a lot of them won't be there in three, four or five years’ time.

“I want to talk about whether these guys at both clubs are elite A-graders or whether they're going to get there.”

For Port Adelaide, Menzel picked Jason Horne-Francis, Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Mitch Georgiades as players who were already A-graders or could get there by 26 years old.

For the Crows, he picked five names - Max Michalanney, Josh Rachele, Jake Soligo, Riley Thilthorpe and Izak Rankine under the same criteria.

While he thinks Adelaide has one more player than Port Adelaide who can enter that top echelon, he would rather have the Power’s list going forward given the sheer firepower of Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis out of the middle.

“In terms of absolute A-grade elite that you can build your club around I've got four for Port Adelaide and five for the Crows. It is very, very close,” Menzel said.

“There are a lot of very close to A-grade players in there … I actually think both of these lists are in a great position for in a couple of years’ time to be able to contend.

“It is so crucial with Tasmania coming into the competition in that period that the next two to three drafts and trade periods for the Crows and Port are massive because they will be thereabouts in two-or-three-years’ time.

“The question was, who are you taking? I am going to go with, by a hair, Port Adelaide.

“The reason being is, I'm going to back in the sheer firepower of Port Adelaide's three gun midfielders in Horne-Francis, Rozee and Butters that you can build around them.”

Listen to Menzel’s full analysis of the young guns at both clubs here.

So if we are keeping Keane as the CHB and Murray as FB
Borlase and Burgess as the backups incase of injury

If we are trading out Butts (contracted.... not sure he will accept), what do you think we get for him.... 1st Rounder?

With Keane as if understand it right. He has another year to run on his current contract probably at the lower pay scale. He has had a great year so wants to renegotiate his contract now for longer and more money?

Not a crticism as I'd do the same if I was him but if he was on a bug deal and his form slipped would be take a pay cut?

I'd do what I could to keep him amd offer him a fair contract but he doesn’t fit the must keep category.
Cmon man, seriously! Who would do that unless exceptional circumstances (Hannebery after hardly playing for 3 years reportedly cut up to 50% off the last year of his contract which was around 4 x 800k at the Saints)

In case not already shared

Daniel Menzel has analysed the lists of both Adelaide and Port Adelaide to pick which club has the better youngsters.

The former Geelong and Sydney forward did the exercise by analysing both of the club’s players who are aged 26 or under and are currently in the best 22.

He found that both clubs have 11 of their 22 best players aged 26 or under at the start of 2025.

Menzel’s analysis focused on whether any of those players were already A-graders or could get there by the time they are 26 years old.

“I've had a look at Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows’ lists and where their team is built and their demographic age-wise,” Menzel told SEN SA Breakfast.

“The question is, who is set up to be in a better position in the coming seasons?

“For both Port and the Crows 11 of their best 22, so 50 per cent of their current team are under the age of 26.

“If you're going to have a crack at it for the next five or six years, guys that are past 26 we know a lot of them won't be there in three, four or five years’ time.

“I want to talk about whether these guys at both clubs are elite A-graders or whether they're going to get there.”

For Port Adelaide, Menzel picked Jason Horne-Francis, Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Mitch Georgiades as players who were already A-graders or could get there by 26 years old.

For the Crows, he picked five names - Max Michalanney, Josh Rachele, Jake Soligo, Riley Thilthorpe and Izak Rankine under the same criteria.

While he thinks Adelaide has one more player than Port Adelaide who can enter that top echelon, he would rather have the Power’s list going forward given the sheer firepower of Rozee, Butters and Horne-Francis out of the middle.

“In terms of absolute A-grade elite that you can build your club around I've got four for Port Adelaide and five for the Crows. It is very, very close,” Menzel said.

“There are a lot of very close to A-grade players in there … I actually think both of these lists are in a great position for in a couple of years’ time to be able to contend.

“It is so crucial with Tasmania coming into the competition in that period that the next two to three drafts and trade periods for the Crows and Port are massive because they will be thereabouts in two-or-three-years’ time.

“The question was, who are you taking? I am going to go with, by a hair, Port Adelaide.

“The reason being is, I'm going to back in the sheer firepower of Port Adelaide's three gun midfielders in Horne-Francis, Rozee and Butters that you can build around them.”

Listen to Menzel’s full analysis of the young guns at both clubs here.
I'm surprised he didn't list down Worrell and Fogarty as being elite since he listed Georgiades....???

If we were to keep Keane I'd consider trading Butts. He's too good to be a depth sanfl player?
Surely we need at least one decent back up (not Borlase). If we need 3 of Butts, Keane, Murray (potential swing man) and Worrell each week over 23 rounds that’s the magic number of 69 player positions to be filled each year. Or 17 games each assuming no injuries, suspensions or “management” of players, or indeed ability to try swinging Murray and Worrell forward as per junior years. Looking at recent years how many instances are there of injuries to Butts, Murray and now Worrell proving that rarely are all available at once.

Just not sure why so many are convinced we need to trade one key area out where we are now adequately covered. Perhaps Borlase goes from a list spot perspective but unless we are getting (very unlikely) overs for Keane or Butts then keep em all

I'm surprised he didn't list down Worrell and Fogarty as being elite since he listed Georgiades....???
Yeah I would think Fog having a good year as is MG that both are not dissimilar in terms of future prospects. Could possibly argue both ways.

I think Murray, Worrell and definitely Curtin could have been included for us.

Perhaps Bergman for them also

And even better they have stuffed their draft picks by buying the “final 4 missing pieces” and getting duds so add another likely top 5 ish player to our list this year.

I think that's fair.

Up to Adelaide now to find A grade midfield talent given our poor year and access to another top pick.

But the analysis also doesn't consider our other youth who in volume will overpower what Port have drafted given the two clubs performance over the past 5 years and Port trading away their picks.

My under 26 analysis

Port

JHF, Butters, Rozee, Georgiadis, Farrell, Drew, Burgoyne, Evans, Bergman, Mead, Sinn, Jones, Marshall, Lord, BZT, Williams

Crows

Rachele, Soligo, Michalanney, Rankine, Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Worrell, Dowling, Pedlar, Sholl, Taylor, Murray, Butts, Keane, Berry, Curtin, Ryan, Edwards, Cook, Hamill, Nankervis

Crows list bats way deeper in talent levels and quantity. The challenge for the Crows is to add A grade talent at the top end especially in the midfield to drive that advantage home, not just compared to Port, but in terms of our long term top 4 ambitions.

Yeah I would think Fog having a good year as is MG that both are not dissimilar in terms of future prospects. Could possibly argue both ways.

I think Murray, Worrell and definitely Curtin could have been included for us.

Perhaps Bergman for them also

And even better they have stuffed their draft picks by buying the “final 4 missing pieces” and getting duds so add another likely top 5 ish player to our list this year.
Curtin is tad early to say he will make it.
Need to see a few more games from him to make that assessment.
Murray was one I missed.

He's better one on one than Keane. That's my fear with Keane. Will he cost us games in big finals because his opponent gets off the chain?
Or is that an area he can get better.
He'll cost as many finals as Massie did.

ie, dependant on whoever is coach and how regimented in persisting with a poor matchup said coach is.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back