List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Macrae ? Doesn’t help our speed but he’d be a reliable senior player with good habits but would only if he came super cheap

I think we mainly need to hit the draft but if we could grab one experienced player cheaply I’d do it , but only if we commit to not playing smith and trying to trade Laird while he has value ( needed to play him half back to make him look attractive to a contending club, we aren’t smart )

Big fan of Macrae but he is finished. He is on ball or bust now.

Big fan of Macrae but he is finished. He is on ball or bust now.
He would be worth getting if we were in the premiership window... otherwise he is just taking games from younger players in a rebuild.

Burgess
McHenry
Parnell
Smith

Suspect there may be 2 other players leave by trade.

Smith has almost certainly hit his contract trigger.

I think given this is a deep draft and we are rumoured to be active in the trade period then we’re going to need to make more room.

Probably stiff on Hamill as far worse have received contracts in the past but we need to be ruthless.

Smith has almost certainly hit his contract trigger.

I think given this is a deep draft and we are rumoured to be active in the trade period then we’re going to need to make more room.

Probably stiff on Hamill as far worse have received contracts in the past but we need to be ruthless.
Payout Smith, keep Hamill.

Only 1 is useful going forward.

I’m quite sick of coaches and administrators who talk about the need/importance/value of experience. It’s not an advantage in all cases and certainly not in all timeframes.

What they need to understand is that the flip side of experience is opportunity. When you add experience to the team (eg. picking Smith at HBF) you do so at the direct cost of opportunity (eg. picking Ryan instead).

What you gain in short term performance (if anything!) by picking experience you more than likely lose many times over in the long run.

Even worse our performance in the short term when we’re clearly rebuilding matters much less than it does in the long run when we should be contenders and need to maximise performance.

We’re making a terrible trade off most times we choose experience over opportunity (at this stage of our cycle) and don’t be swayed by those who say we’ll get smashed with a young team…because in the short run it doesn’t matter.

Of course this view - which is entirely logical - is predicated on the assumption that your primary goal and purpose is winning a premiership and not something else (like winning a round 21 match).

I’m quite sick of coaches and administrators who talk about the need/importance/value of experience. It’s not an advantage in all cases and certainly not in all timeframes.

What they need to understand is that the flip side of experience is opportunity. When you add experience to the team (eg. picking Smith at HBF) you do so at the direct cost of opportunity (eg. picking Ryan instead).

What you gain in short term performance (if anything!) by picking experience you more than likely lose many times over in the long run.

Even worse our performance in the short term when we’re clearly rebuilding matters much less than it does in the long run when we should be contenders and need to maximise performance.

We’re making a terrible trade off most times we choose experience over opportunity (at this stage of our cycle) and don’t be swayed by those who say we’ll get smashed with a young team…because in the short run it doesn’t matter.

Of course this view - which is entirely logical - is predicated on the assumption that your primary goal and purpose is winning a premiership and not something else (like winning a round 21 match).
What is the old saying, if you are good enough you are old enough..get the kids in, let them learn, make mistakes, do great things, be inconsistent, be electric...but they need to learn on the job

From the outside looking in I know but Macrae hardly seems to have reacted well to being asked to play a peripheral role at the Dogs. And that’s with him being asked to step aside for Bont, Libba, Treloar, Smith and Sanders. Can’t imagine if we ask him to have a few less mid minutes so that Zac Taylor can have a run he’ll be super happy. We’ve already got Laird cracking the sads because he’s not the number one guy anymore, don’t think we need another one in there.
That’s the thing , it would be getting a senior player in cheap at the expense of Laird , not having both play together

Would only do it if we didn’t have to pay much and we got a top 30-35 pick for Laird to use at draft

Macrae was just an example , could be another experienced player on the cheap

The flaw in the experience argument when you rebuild is thinking the experience has to be onfield

The other flaw is focusing on wins to the detriment of development

Both are possible -if you accept that year 1 and 2 of your rebuild you will lose games then let it go. Dont hold onto winning at all costs

Your 1st 2 year focus is development and the most important - identifying who is good and who is ordinary

We went straight to winning over development and we are still developing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Tex, Sloane (gone) and Smith go at the end of the year

Over 100 game players are
Laird 243
Crouch 154
Keays 132
Dawson 127
ROB 117
Murphy 111

With Milera, Fog and Jones in the nineties

How many of our senior leaders walk into a contending side?

Dawson and Fog would get into any team. Keasy would get into most. On most recent form Milera wouldn't but would if he got back to his best.

Laird/Crouch depends on club and if they have a weakness in inside mids. sydney traded for Adams who is a lessor player than they are.

NO to the rest

Dawson and Fog would get into any team. Keasy would get into most. On most recent form Milera wouldn't but would if he got back to his best.

Laird/Crouch depends on club and if they have a weakness in inside mids. sydney traded for Adams who is a lessor player than they are.

NO to the rest

Disagree, Adams has been effective on half forward, Crouch has never performed anywhere outside the contest and Laird probably wouldn't work in that role either

Experience is valuable when it has a positive impact on the young players around them

I'm not sure ROB, Laird, Smith, Crouch, Milera, Murphy... make players around them better.

Do they influence younger players positively? Do they have a calming influence through their own assured performances on match day? Provide direction?

I see Dawson and Walker directing players on match day. Doedee did. Not much from the others.

Experience is valuable when it has a positive impact on the young players around them

I'm not sure ROB, Laird, Smith, Crouch, Milera, Murphy... make players around them better.

Do they influence younger players positively? Do they have a calming influence through their own assured performances on match day? Provide direction?

I see Dawson and Walker directing players on match day. Doedee did. Not much from the others.
Pretty sure I’ve seen Keays directing, too

But yeah, we’re lacking it a bit (though this can be hard to spot)

Laird, Smith & Crouch did... back when they were closer to their peak. Laird & Smith are well off their peaks now though. Crouch probably the same.

Laird, Smith & Crouch did... back when they were closer to their peak. Laird & Smith are well off their peaks now though. Crouch probably the same.
Talia and Brown did.

Laird and Crouch always appear more interested in the cheap stats and crack it when players don't pass to them.

Speaking of ROB, did you hear his comments yesterday? Something like being dropped have him a kick up the bum he needed and refocused, weren’t his exact words but **** me, if a player in the leadership group needs to be dropped to be focused, what the **** are they doing in the leadership group.

Working on the assumption ROB is in the leadership group

I dunno, I regularly see Laird telling young players "where to go" if they don't pass it to him.

Speaking of ROB, did you hear his comments yesterday? Something like being dropped have him a kick up the bum he needed and refocused, weren’t his exact words but ** me, if a player in the leadership group needs to be dropped to be focused, what the ** are they doing in the leadership group.

Working on the assumption ROB is in the leadership group
I maintain that ROB should be dropped once every 5 weeks

Sam Berrys Manager:

"This year, we'd said from the start that Sam was probably just going to play the year and see how it goes and where he fits in and everything. That hasn't changed," Seccull said last month.

"We've been in constant dialogue with [Adelaide list manager] Justin Reid going through where he sits. They're really happy with how he's progressing and can see a future there. It's just a matter of timing for Sam. We'll go through that a bit later on."

Soooo its pretty clear Berry understands our clubs selection policy, i say run and dont look back Sam.
Although you've been in the team alot this year, more than likely you will be out of the team next year to accomodate Crouch and Laird.

The flaw in the experience argument when you rebuild is thinking the experience has to be onfield

The other flaw is focusing on wins to the detriment of development

Both are possible -if you accept that year 1 and 2 of your rebuild you will lose games then let it go. Dont hold onto winning at all costs

Your 1st 2 year focus is development and the most important - identifying who is good and who is ordinary

We went straight to winning over development and we are still developing
in 2020 we didn't win a game until round 17 and were thrashed most games. We played young players in the middle and rarely got the ball out thus we always seemed to have the ball in the backline. The forwards hardly saw the ball and we rarely scored more than a goal a quarter. I doubt the forwards such as Fogarty developed much that year. We gave games to McAsey, Jones, McHenry and they lost confidence. Getting thrashed each game is not a great formula for development so there needs to be a balance of experienced and young players. I've played for teams that have been beaten by 20 plus goals and its not much fun and difficult to get the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back