List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The list management is a concern re small forwards because Hamish drafted the wrong ones

You can’t go and get everything you need with trades in an off season , takes time

Also through trades we have keays and Rankine so don’t see how it’s Reid’s fault more than Hamish
McHenry played a whole lot more midfield (mostly outside) than he ever did forward and I saw a fair few of his games live and almost all via streaming.

It was the Crows that decided he was purely a small forward.

Not absolving Hamish here but prior to this season we thought we were going to be contending for finals from this year on. We know what Ned brings (not much) so surely we weren't just hoping Rankine, rachele (both playing mid time was the initial plan wasn't it?) Keays and Murphy was all we needed?

What about the ruck? Is that Hamish's fault?
You’re forgetting Pedlar

Yes I think we expected Pedlar to build on last year

Murphy to hold ground ( I know I’m almost on my own here but Murphy’s 2023 form if others were firing around him was ok and we performed as a forward unit all year )

His 2024 form isn’t and doesn’t warrant games

So basically take out Pedlar from last year and a seriously under performing Murphy all year this year and we look short there , Ned too slow for role up forward and plainly not good enough

It’s a good draft to get at least one very classy small forward with some speed or X factor

McHenry played a whole lot more midfield (mostly outside) than he ever did forward and I saw a fair few of his games live and almost all via streaming.

It was the Crows that decided he was purely a small forward.
Just hasn’t got any weapons at afl level

He tries hard but so does everyone at afl level almost

He’s small , hasn’t got speed , agility , composure or an abundance of skill

Trying hard or being ultra competitive isn’t enough on its own

Not absolving Hamish here but prior to this season we thought we were going to be contending for finals from this year on. We know what Ned brings (not much) so surely we weren't just hoping Rankine, rachele (both playing mid time was the initial plan wasn't it?) Keays and Murphy was all we needed?

What about the ruck? Is that Hamish's fault?
Re ruck having a developing ruck wouldn’t have helped us yet , it’s a good idea to get one though

I’m also not saying Reid is perfect but he’s much better performed overall re his role vs Ogilvie

Just hasn’t got any weapons at afl level

He tries hard but so does everyone at afl level almost

He’s small , hasn’t got speed , agility , composure or an abundance of skill

Trying hard or being ultra competitive isn’t enough on its own
I think of him as a puppy dog - lots of energy and enthusiasm, spends most of his time slobbering over things.

Have you been more disappointed in Curtin or Nicks' treatment of Curtin?

I'm genuinely interested.
That's a fair question.

Other than the Brisbane game, I've been frustrated by the decision to have Curtin as a sub.

He clearly needs development and you can't do that on a bench.

I'm less fussed about whether he gets full games in the seniors or the twos, as long as he's getting gametime.

I look at long-term successful clubs - like the Swans, say - and they give their juniors a real apprenticeship in the lower leagues so they're ready for their opportunities. You have to play the long game.

I was disappointed with Curtin's lack of intensity earlier in the season. He's found his feet more recently as he's gained some confidence and really committed.

Reid doesn’t draft the players in , he’s not the new talent ID guy

Whether he got lucky or not ( he did ) he went and got Dawson and Rankine , keays and Hinge . There’s prob 4 of our best 5 or 6 players this year . Not sure how many other clubs have got their best players all from trade or delisted FA . That’s basically Reid’s role

It’s easy to get huffy and puffy on Reid but looking at what he’s done after a shaky first year or 2 , he’s actually gone ok

Hamish and his team didn’t produce the midfielders with his picks in the draft over many many years , not sure we’ve got too many half back flankers either ?

Agree the ruck , we need to get a developing one in but we’ve had lots of things we’ve needed to focus on

We have plenty of midfielders - maybe two many - but most either aren’t good enough or certainly aren’t good enough to demand a midfield role

McHenry
Jones
Berry
Dowling
Laird
Dawson
Rankine
Rachele
Curtin
Keays
Bond
Schoenberg
Pedlar
Crouch
Soligo
Taylor

That’s 16 - and probably Dawson is the only one where midfield is not there preferred role. You could probably chuck Murphy in the mix as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we were to pick up a young ruck in the draft would we consider Harry Boyd from Norwood for a short term role who has been the standout ruck in the sanfl last two seasons. Not easily shifted reasonably mobile and a good mark. He could be a good foil for ROB next year and give the developing ruck time to get some games in at SANFL level. He has taken Strauchnie to the cleaners this year. Just a thought. He would 28 next year

If we were to pick up a young ruck in the draft would we consider Harry Boyd from Norwood for a short term role who has been the standout ruck in the sanfl last two seasons. Not easily shifted reasonably mobile and a good mark. He could be a good foil for ROB next year and give the developing ruck time to get some games in at SANFL level. He has taken Strauchnie to the cleaners this year. Just a thought. He would 28 next year
Only problem there is both ROB and Strachan have a year to run on their contract so not sure Boyd is the answer. We definitely need to draft or rookie a youngster this year IMO. Flynn Penry has flown under the radar due to missing the 1st half of the year with injury, since resuming he's had 2 good CTL games and dominated the APS the last few weeks for Geelong Grammar. Now the APS school footy is finished hopefully he returns to the GWV Rebels for the 3 remaining games of the minor round.

Last edited:
We have plenty of midfielders - maybe two many - but most either aren’t good enough or certainly aren’t good enough to demand a midfield role

McHenry
Jones
Berry
Dowling
Laird
Dawson
Rankine
Rachele
Curtin
Keays
Bond
Schoenberg
Pedlar
Crouch
Soligo
Taylor

That’s 16 - and probably Dawson is the only one where midfield is not there preferred role. You could probably chuck Murphy in the mix as well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep but not enough good ones , he’s tried to draft midfielders but hasn’t landed many

Our most effective guys in centre square were traded in ie Dawson and Rankine

I reckon 198cm is too short to ruck these days at afl level

Unless you’re a freak athlete with vertical leap etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?

Say he goes from a $650k contract to an $850k contract - it's not gonna be a massive difference.
Given the significant CBA increase, Rankine will be on $1M. I'll be disappointed if we didn't offer him at least that much, enough of spreading the salary cap across the list and time to reward the stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back