List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sholl on one wing, Cumming on another would be a nice balance (one a good accumulator with neat skills, one more athletically dynamic)

Might push Dowling down the pecking order a bit but better depth is never a bad thing

Depends on what’s available

I’d prefer Phillipou and / or NWM too

I think Luko , ANB , Cumming and Draper / or Lalor/ FOS would make our team a fair bit better

Cumming would give us more flexibility with Hinge . Both tall , good overhead and above average speed with good kicks
I’m not quite as big on Luko as I am on ANB/Cumming now, but all four would help make us a better side now and in the future

Cumming’s athleticism and speed would fix a large flaw in our side, as is. Sure there’s injury risk, but you can’t forever play it safe

take out FS Blakey and Academy players they can hide away like Gulden, plus Heeney, Mills and Campbell and it covers a lot of mistakes. These nth academies are going to create monsters - esp the GC one with the talent apparently coming thru over coming years after 4 first rounders last year
Gulden wasn't hidden away, from memory he was best for his team in the U17 Allstars game. Think his short stature let him drift out to 30 something. Shows the fallibility of recruiters who didn't value his ball winning ability and sharp foot skills.

Swans first round drafting has been poor but they've found some guns in later rounds, none better than our captain.

For all the adulation and praise, Stephen Wells at Geelong has a similar bad first round miss rate going back 12/13 years, Menzel, Smedts, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo, Fogarty, Cooper Stephens, hmmmmm

I’m not quite as big on Luko as I am on ANB/Cumming now, but all four would help make us a better side now and in the future

Cumming’s athleticism and speed would fix a large flaw in our side, as is. Sure there’s injury risk, but you can’t forever play it safe
The giants medical set up is one of worst in comp for years re soft tissue . I’m sure we could get on top of it

Gulden wasn't hidden away, from memory he was best for his team in the U17 Allstars game. Think his short stature let him drift out to 30 something. Shows the fallibility of recruiters who didn't value his ball winning ability and sharp foot skills.

Swans first round drafting has been poor but they've found some guns in later rounds, none better than our captain.

For all the adulation and praise, Stephen Wells at Geelong has a similar bad first round miss rate going back 12/13 years, Menzel, Smedts, Thurlow, Lang, Cockatoo, Fogarty, Cooper Stephens, hmmmmm
Some clubs had him top 10 even pushing 5 but they didn’t have picks in that region

I was very disappointed we didn’t bid on him with the Pedlar pick if not earlier

He doesn't play the role Murphy does, he's a half back flanker/wing, he has to replace one of the present incumbents.
So he has a defensive mindset? Havent you said Murphy would be a good back pocket player because he has a defensive mindset?

Havent the coaches said Murphy is there to protect the ground and apply pressure - like a defender would?

So tell me why Cummins cant do it again

So he has a defensive mindset? Havent you said Murphy would be a good back pocket player because he has a defensive mindset?

Havent the coaches said Murphy is there to protect the ground and apply pressure - like a defender would?

So tell me why Cummins cant do it again
To be fair, Cumming is more an attacking half-back/wing than a defensive one

No reason we can’t add both ANB (who replaces Murphy) AND Cumming, though

To be fair, Cumming is more an attacking half-back/wing than a defensive one

No reason we can’t add both ANB (who replaces Murphy) AND Cumming, though
Yep we neee better players for 5-6 spots and that would be a couple sorted

Obvs ruck and midfield , another small forward would be handy ..can’t help but think giants and hawks have the model right re multiple small forwards and pressure

Let us have a look at the Crows first round draft picks from 2014 - 2022:

2014 - Pick 14 - Jake Lever - Talented but we couldn't keep him.
2015 - Pick 11 - Wayne Milera - Talented but injury prone and is statistically an average player. Arguably not worthy of a first round pick.
- Pick 17 - Tom Doedee - Talented but injury prone and we couldn't keep him.
2016 - Pick 15 - Jordan Gallucci - Bust
2017 - Pick 12 - Darcy Fogarty - Talented and still developing after 7.5 years in the system.
2018 - Pick 9 - Chayce Jones - Statistically a below average player not worthy of a first round pick.
- Pick 16 - Ned McHenry - Statistically a below average player not worthy of a first round pick.
2019 - Pick 6 - Fischer McAsey - Bust
2020 - Pick 2 - Riley Thilthorpe - Talented and still developing.
- Pick 10 - Luke Pedlar - Statistically a below average player not worthy of a first round pick. Potential Bust
- Pick 25 - Brayden Cook - Statistically a below average player not worthy of a first round pick.
2021 - Pick 6 - Josh Rachele - Talented and still developing.
2022 - Pick 17 - Max Michalanney - Talented and developing.

Other statistically below average to average players drafted during this period include Will Hamill, Sam Berry, Lachlan Murphy, Harry Schoenberg, Elliott Himmelberg, Patrick Parnell and Lachlan Gollant. Delisted players in the same category include James Rowe and Ronin O'Connor.

Of these 13 first round picks it is arguable that only 6 are worthy of a first round pick, and of those 6 we have retained 4. In what other profession is being correct 30.8% of the time considered a success?

Let us investigate a parallel universe where we discover what could have been:

2015 - Milera becomes Charlie Curnow
2016 - Gallucci becomes Jarrod Berry
- Himmelberg becomes Jack Graham
2018 - Jones becomes Jordan Clark
- McHenry becomes James Rowbottom
- Hamill becomes James Jordan
2019 - McAsey becomes Hayden Young
- Schoenberg becomes Jeremy Sharp
- Gollant becomes Jake Riccardi
2020 - Pedlar becomes Heath Chapman
- Sam Berry becomes Caleb Poulter
- James Rowe becomes Jack Carroll
2021 - Parnell becomes Ned Moyle

In this parallel universe the Crows team would look something like this:

Back - Worrell, Butts, Michalanney
H/Back - Hinge, N. Murray, Clark
Mids - Soligo, Dawson, Sharp
H/Fwd - Rankine, Curnow, Curtin
Fwd - Fogarty, Thilthorpe, Rachele
Rucks - Moyle, Young, J. Berry
Inter - Chapman, Nankervis, Poulter, Dowling
Sub - Graham / Keays / Rowbottom
Emer - Riccardi, Carroll, Sholl

Of the Crows current list, I can only see a maximum of 15 players who would make it onto the list of a top 4 team. Of those 15 players, there are maybe 5 - 10 who would make it into the playing squad. There needs to be an independent external review into the recruiting and list management teams, the high performance team, the coaching staff, and the board. We all want another premiership and sustained premiership success. The incompetence of the Adelaide Crows AFL organisation over the past several years beggars belief.

Tom Powell is also someone who should be on our radar this trade period

Local lad , sneaky breakout year this year and north look like targeting a Viney or Wines

Absolute upgrade on some of our mids and still on upward trajectory

Him and Draper would be a decent combo together

I have my doubts on Pedlar being full time mid and am happy if he recaptures his forward role form of last year

Yep we neee better players for 5-6 spots and that would be a couple sorted

Obvs ruck and midfield , another small forward would be handy ..can’t help but think giants and hawks have the model right re multiple small forwards and pressure
Yeah agree, re: small forwards we’re part of the way there with Keays/Rachele and Rankine part-time. ANB helps for three or four years. Need to think about drafting a couple of dynamic ones in the next two or three drafts to prepare for life after Keays/ANB

Young ruck, another one or two high-potential mids, a speedy wing (if Cumming doesn’t come), a 3rd tall forward (if Luko doesn’t come and Welsh doesn’t develop) and maybe a more dynamic key defender, if Keane leaves? Those are the main holes I can think of

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep if we are talking 1st round hits I think Melbourne , Freo and Bulldogs prob lead the way ( although dogs plenty of father son favours )

Am I missing any other clubs that have nailed it ?

Sydney and Geelong absolutely not nailed 1st round picks

Tom Powell is also someone who should be on our radar this trade period

Local lad , sneaky breakout year this year and north look like targeting a Viney or Wines

Absolute upgrade on some of our mids and still on upward trajectory

Him and Draper would be a decent combo together

I have my doubts on Pedlar being full time mid and am happy if he recaptures his forward role form of last year
Powell re-signed earlier in the year unfortunately

Would be an excellent long-term replacement for the Crouch role. Maybe re-visit in 2026

Let's have a look at Sydney 1st round picks over the same 10 year period who reputedly have had the best recruiters in the business Kinnear Beatson and for the last couple of years another highly rated recruiter Simon Dalrymple doing their recruiting.

2014 - Pick 18 - Isaac Heeney - Sydney Academy so only available to them.
2015 - Pick 3 - Callum Mills - Sydney Academy - see above
2016 - Pick 11 - Oliver Florent - Pick 21 - Will Hayward
2017 - Pick 14 - Matthew Ling
2018 - Pick 10 - Nick Blakey - Sydney Academy - see above
2019 - Pick 5 - Dylan Stephens
2020 - Pick 4 - Logan McDonald - Pick 5 - Sydney Academy - see above
2021 - Pick 18 - Angus Sheldrick
2022 - Pick 21 Jacob Konstanty
2023 - Pick 16 Will Green - Pick 24 Caiden Cleary - Sydney Academy - see above.

No recruiters, even the best get every 1st round pick right

What exactly makes sydney the best in the business?

Also sounds like we’ve reached out to Pickett which is smart

The melts would be significant if we used pick 4 which is prob what it would take

Can’t see Pickett coming to us
If we could land Pickett and ANB for 4, I would do it understanding that we forgo a top end mid again BUT Pickett is like Rankine and if they could share that midfield role and forward role, that would be devastating imo. Pickett when up and going is elite at what he does and is worth the price, but I can fully understand why others would not do the deal.

Assuming Milera is fit, and if Cumming comes in (fit) Nank won’t be playing much next year. Not sure if it’s tiredness and needs to be rested or if teams have worked him out but has had a poor last month or so. Turning into a tackling bag!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What? Nank is a gun

If we could land Pickett and ANB for 4, I would do it understanding that we forgo a top end mid again BUT Pickett is like Rankine and if they could share that midfield role and forward role, that would be devastating imo. Pickett when up and going is elite at what he does and is worth the price, but I can fully understand why others would not do the deal.
F1.

Imagine getting Pickett, Draper and ANB along with Welsh this preseason?

F1.

Imagine getting Pickett, Draper and ANB along with Welsh this preseason?
May need some more than a speculative F1, but yeah, maybe Draper, ANB and Pickett costing us pick 4, Melb 2nd and F1. If Keane heads home, then we could even add in our 3rd round pick in the deal to get Pickett and ANB and leave us with a pick for Keane in this draft that we could split for points for Welsh and a late pick

May need some more than a speculative F1, but yeah, maybe Draper, ANB and Pickett costing us pick 4, Melb 2nd and F1. If Keane heads home, then we could even add in our 3rd round pick in the deal to get Pickett and ANB and leave us with a pick for Keane in this draft that we could split for points for Welsh and a late pick
Melbourne not going for that , miles off

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back