List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Strachan is contracted until end of 2025, I don't see us paying him out
Just on this - Hamill was contracted until 24 when we delisted and re-rookied him last year. Same with McPherson the year before, was contracted until 23

I’m not sure the pay-out applies in this scenario
They have T.Murray taking one rookie spot likely for Parnell, which would leave the Hamill spot open if he likely leaves and Keane’s spot maybe as well, they then could theoretically put Smith and Strachan both on that rookie list and their salary won’t be affected at all so yeah no payout required if they wanted to free up those 2 main list spots.

How on earth can Port satisfy Melbourne in a trade deal for a contracted Pickett? They have nothing of value this year except Houston who has changed his mind on going to the demons. Their pick next year projects to be late first round.

So what, Melbourne are going to happily trade a contracted star for two late first rounders assuming they can get one from somewhere for Houston?

How on earth can Port satisfy Melbourne in a trade deal for a contracted Pickett? They have nothing of value this year except Houston who has changed his mind on going to the demons. Their pick next year projects to be late first round.

So what, Melbourne are going to happily trade a contracted star for two late first rounders assuming they can get one from somewhere for Houston?
St Kilda are interested in Houston apparently

Freo seem to think they're in front of Port for Pickett

The 'onya smithers!' in the comments section is killing me hahaha

Do we read anything into the players carrying large black garbage bags? Cleaning out their lockers after being told they are gone / likely gone? Perhaps not based on a couple of names below.

From what I could tell:

Parnell
Hamill
Rachele! Well that’s our way to possibly get Pickett
Initial figure (thought logically Mc H but perhaps Crouch?) walking with Smith - which clearly he ain’t going.

Add McH 100% gone (logically) and either one or likely both of Gollant and Burgess (even if paid out second year if contracted) assuming H/berg stays as best case scenario.

Berry seems gone not re-signing and Keane I think we will only let go for overs. Sloane already gone, Borlase probabky stays as a spare KPP at both ends.

6-7 names there and we can move players like Smith or Strachan to rookie list - no one else is going to “do a Greenwood” for these names. It’s disappointing about Smith but no one here likely knows details of games triggers. Doubt it comes down to final year only. More likely games over the life of contract (or last 2-3 years) and if he was very close (say within 5-7 games needed 2024) it would be both unethical (certainly not good faith) and possibly bordering on breach of contract to not play a stalwart who had finished 4/5/6/7 in the last 4 B&F’s. Smithers did seem a little less happy and chirpy than his normal default self in that short interview.

One thing’s for sure, I think it’ll be Port or Freo if it does happen

We’ll focus on Cumming/ANB/Luko/4
Why wouldn’t Pickett consider us if we offered 100-150k more per season? Agree it feels wrong having his surname play for us. Like a Robran or a Jarman playing for Port but we do have Borlase already?

You say that like Nicks isn't going to play both of them at the expense of someone else.

Even then, what is the point of bringing him to play instead of Murphy, when we're already asking for more game time for the players Murphy is keeping out?

He's not a positional need, he's not a great talent, and he's the wrong age profile for where our list is at, and really we should barely be bidding for him at all given our only competition is a SANFL side or staying in Melbourne.
I get all of that but with Nicks thirst for experience Murphy is a lock unless we don’t bring in someone with more experience to play his role

I get all of that but with Nicks thirst for experience Murphy is a lock unless we don’t bring in someone with more experience to play his role
I dont want to join the - oh stop it Im already wearing alfoil - I wonder if Nicks suddenly discovers Murphy is amazingly good at another role but we cant see it

I dont want to join the - oh stop it Im already wearing alfoil - I wonder if Nicks suddenly discovers Murphy is amazingly good at another role but we cant see it
To me, a non-conspiracy ist, having the first player (hopefully of a number) nominate us who is a DIRECT replacement player wise for our weakest position on the field says logically Murphs year has found him out and he is to be relegated, sane as McH who went from first team player 2-3 years ago to fringe to delisted (very likely)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracted Pickett is worth 2 first rounders including one in the top 8-10 (or equivalent player). Rachele and our F1 would be about right

EDIT - upon sobering up, my above crap has been rolled back so you don’t need to point out its rubbish.

Last edited:
Contracted Pickett is worth 2 first rounders including one in the top 8-10 (or equivalent player). Rachele and our F1 would be about right
If we did that deal we're stupider than i thought. Their stats this year are similar and rachele is younger and contracted too. Basically just throwing away F1
Pickett overrated imo as he does flashy things. Not saying i wouldn't take him but not for that price

I do like Racheles potential but in terms of proven “exposed” form over various years surely there’s no comparison in value currently?

Stats wise in 2024 they're comparable and Rachele is 2 years younger.

Having Rachele, Pickett and Rankine in the same team would be an insane point of difference that teams would really struggle to line up against.

1724860738367.png

They have T.Murray taking one rookie spot likely for Parnell, which would leave the Hamill spot open if he likely leaves and Keane’s spot maybe as well, they then could theoretically put Smith and Strachan both on that rookie list and their salary won’t be affected at all so yeah no payout required if they wanted to free up those 2 main list spots.
Speaking of list spots, if they actually do end up landing 3 trade targets to free up the required list spots it’s almost come down to because of the club’s inability to make a decent decision to cut Smith and Himmelberg now wanting to stay it will probably mean at least one of Berry or Keane now actually will need to definitely leave. Depending on that decision then one of Smith or Strachan could then be moved to the rookie list, if Keane’s the one to leave then both could be rookied to free up a 6th main list spot.

- Minimum 2 spots required for the draft (McHenry & Gollant)

- 3 Main List spots free if needed for trades (Berry/Keane, Burgess & Sloane)

- Bond to be re-signed and have a bad feeling Himmelberg will stay on as well

So minimum five main list spots available with Neale-Bullen filling one, and at most 2 rookie list spots available if Hamill’s cut & Keane leaves with Borlase most likely staying on and T.Murray filling the spot vacated by Parnell.

Also if they do only take 2 in the draft, after the obvious ‘not even Ogilvie wouldn't take a midfielder’ at pick 4(5) that only leaves the one pick to address one of the other current list holes (ruck & small forward), so heading into 2025 it’s looking like there’s still going to be some obvious issues still with the list make-up.

Having Rachele, Pickett and Rankine in the same team would be an insane point of difference that teams would really struggle to line up against.

View attachment 2095170

Trade
4th pick Fremantle for pick 9 and 10
Trade pick 10, our future 2nd for Picket and ANB (ANB on his own is a 3rd Rounder, maybe even a 4th with pick swaps)
Trade future 1st for Luko
Free agent Cummins

Take pick 9 into the draft. Very possible. Downgrade 5 spots to add a ready to peake Picket onto the list. I mean, thats a good argument.

View attachment 2095170
Thanks, you are correct, very similar and my 130am proposal was OTT. You wouldn’t give up Rachele and F1 agreed upon reflection but still think Pickett is worth more than Rachele to the eye (and yes understand he is 2 years older)

Speaking of list spots, if they actually do end up landing 3 trade targets to free up the required list spots it’s almost come down to because of the club’s inability to make a decent decision to cut Smith and Himmelberg now wanting to stay it will probably mean at least one of Berry or Keane now actually will need to definitely leave. Depending on that decision then one of Smith or Strachan could then be moved to the rookie list, if Keane’s the one to leave then both could be rookied to free up a 6th main list spot.

- Minimum 2 spots required for the draft (McHenry & Gollant)

- 3 Main List spots free if needed for trades (Berry/Keane, Burgess & Sloane)

- Bond to be re-signed and have a bad feeling Himmelberg will stay on as well

So minimum five main list spots available with Neale-Bullen filling one, and at most 2 rookie list spots available if Hamill’s cut & Keane leaves with Borlase most likely staying on and T.Murray filling the spot vacated by Parnell.

Also if they do only take 2 in the draft, after the obvious ‘not even Ogilvie wouldn't take a midfielder’ at pick 4(5) that only leaves the one pick to address one of the other current list holes (ruck & small forward), so heading into 2025 it’s looking like there’s still going to be some obvious issues still with the list make-up.
Certainly agree re ruck but is small forward such an issue?

Rachele - large chunk of time when not in midfield
Rankine - resting up forward
Pedlar - see 2023 form
ANB - solid for a few years replacing Murph
Keays - does his job on hff week in and out
Taylor - resting when not on ball
Cook - see Taylor but more mid sized admittedly

Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back