List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a development ruck (i.e. Dodson) has to be a higher priority right now.

Assuming we're only going to be using the minimum 3 draft selections (we won't have room on our list for more), that will (hopefully) be Pick #4 mid, Dodson, Welsh. Adding extra KPDs will just have to wait until 2026.
Dodson won’t last until 25, I think. We’d have to go for a Luko + 13 for F1 + 25 type of trade

But I agree that a young ruck, whoever it is (whether it’s Dodson or someone below the age of 22 currently on a list), should be one of the priorities. For me I’d be looking for one in the next two off-seasons

A guy like O’Farrell would IMO fit both the ‘need’ and ‘talent’ quotas at that selection (if Keane’s traded), whilst being a realistic option at that pick

Dodson won’t last until 25, I think. We’d have to go for a Luko + 13 for F1 + 25 type of trade

But I agree that a young ruck, whoever it is (whether it’s Dodson or someone below the age of 22 currently on a list), should be one of the priorities. For me I’d be looking for one in the next two off-seasons

A guy like O’Farrell would IMO fit both the ‘need’ and ‘talent’ quotas at that selection (if Keane’s traded), whilst being a realistic option at that pick
I agree that we need to be trading our way up in order to get Dodson - but doing so needs to be a priority, given that ROC & Strachan are both aging and will need replacing sooner rather than later.

I agree that we need to be trading our way up in order to get Dodson - but doing so needs to be a priority, given that ROC & Strachan are both aging and will need replacing sooner rather than later.
Fair enough

Personally I’m happy if we keep my options open beyond Dodson, provided we get that young ruck in the next two off-seasons

We may look to trade in on draft night if we think we can get Dodson.

Are we better off trading away pick 4 and 25 for a mid first rounder and a F1 pick?

Grab Dodson this year and try to position ourselves for Dyson Sharp in 12 months time?

We've got a list loaded with fringe midfielders, so pick 4 probably gets shunted to the back pocket in the SANFL next year anyway.

Not saying we should, but just raising the idea.

Thoughts?

Are we better off trading away pick 4 and 25 for a mid first rounder and a F1 pick?

Grab Dodson this year and try to position ourselves for Dyson Sharp in 12 months time?

We've got a list loaded with fringe midfielders, so pick 4 probably gets shunted to the back pocket in the SANFL next year anyway.

Thoughts?
I'd prefer to just get a midfielder this year and develop him as soon, as well, and as quick as possible. If we're solely focused on Sharp, and he ends up the consensus #1 pick, then that pick will be very, very hard to trade for

There'll be some very good prospects available at 25 this year, too

I like Dodson, but I don't think he individually is a 'must', as such

Thoughts?
12 months ago people were saying the exact same thing about positioning ourselves to get Draper, and we unintentionally have done that.

If it was me I’d back us in to improve next year and try and get an extra early pick this year.

12 months ago people were saying the exact same thing about positioning ourselves to get Draper, and we unintentionally have done that.

If it was me I’d back us in to improve next year and try and get an extra early pick this year.
We need to get our coaching and list perfect before Tassie comes in. It will be a desert for talent in the drafts for a while after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer to just get a midfielder this year and develop him as soon, as well, and as quick as possible. If we're solely focused on Sharp, and he ends up the consensus #1 pick, then that pick will be very, very hard to trade for

Unless we want to finish last we are not getting the vaccuum. I wouldn't be saving pick 8-12 thinking that will help get him next year.

The Rosas situation is genuinely confusing. From what I’ve seen, he has a lot tricks/upside. Have I overrated him? Why would GC push him out?

It’s the same merry go round GC have been on their whole existence.

• Heaps of talent in
  • does nothing with it
  • is granted access to more talent to fix it
  • needs to clear out players to fit more in

Rinse and repeat.

The thing I like about Dodson is he is a high posession gets involved in general play a lot more than we have had for a long time. Personally would make sure we are positioned to nab him with a late first. Obviously thats not our F1 - would need to be split somehow. I dont like the idea of waiting
1- he may surprise and be ready in 2026 as muti suggested
2- they get to melbourne based teams and they dont want to return. It was pure luck that rankine and luko landed at GC and more easily gettable
3- as much as we all want sharp he will be heading to richmond as they will clearly have pick 1 given who they are losing this year

We BADLY need Dodson....

Look at our ruck stocks and their age/general performance.... :sick: :embarrassedv1:

We need to get a developing young good ruck ASAP to develop in next few years so we can pension off ROB and Strachan pronto.

The thing I like about Dodson is he is a high posession gets involved in general play a lot more than we have had for a long time. Personally would make sure we are positioned to nab him with a late first. Obviously thats not our F1 - would need to be split somehow. I dont like the idea of waiting
1- he may surprise and be ready in 2026 as muti suggested
2- they get to melbourne based teams and they dont want to return. It was pure luck that rankine and luko landed at GC and more easily gettable
3- as much as we all want sharp he will be heading to richmond as they will clearly have pick 1 given who they are losing this year
I’m just not sure re: Dodson being ready so soon. When was the last time a 200cm+ ruck was ready once he was in the year turning 21? Grundy? If you draft Dodson, I think you have to assume he’ll be good to go in year 4

You could potentially go after a Max Knobel, who’s done very well when given game time for Freo’s twos, but is behind three other rucks - plus get him a lot cheaper, as well. I know he’s from VIC, but money talks

That then allows us to target other needs with whatever other picks we land

Waiting for the ShoWdoWn and came across Reel Fishing on 7 and Ned is very good and comes across as a nice soul

I am sad for him his sport didnt work out how he dreamt but he is going to do ok in the Tv landscape

I’m just not sure re: Dodson being ready so soon. When was the last time a 200cm+ ruck was ready once he was in the year turning 21? Grundy? If you draft Dodson, I think you have to assume he’ll be good to go in year 4

You could potentially go after a Max Knobel, who’s done very well when given game time for Freo’s twos, but is behind three other rucks - plus get him a lot cheaper, as well. I know he’s from VIC, but money talks

Get Knobel as well. Strachan isnt up to it and ROB is inconsistent and could easily ask for a trade home some point in 2025.

I disagree re Dodson, he may not be ready to lead the ruck in his 2nd year but I'd be confident he'd be capable of AFL input just like Dante Visentini down the road.

I disagree re Dodson, he may not be ready to lead the ruck in his 2nd year but I'd be confident he'd be capable of AFL input just like Dante Visentini down the road.
Oh I have no doubt he’s at least AFL standard ruck, he should be very good given the signs he’s shown, just that we can’t assume it’ll be a quick process

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back