List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Geelong are the benchmark for culture and results yet they twice resigned Tom Hawkins at an older age and less productivity than Tex.

People love to ignore Geelong because they just don’t support the narrative that you need to move on players once they hit 30, and that you need a full rebuild to stay relevant. Collingwood with Sidebottom and Pendleberry, Brisbane with Zorko and Geelong with Duncan, Hawkins and Dangerfield are all examples of the benefit of keeping experience if those players are still contributing.
Unfortunately apart from Tex, our players are usually cooked by the time they hit 30. The price of continuity and playing through injuries I guess.

Keane's one of the very few players on our list that actually has trade capital.

KPDs always command overs in deals and would give us much needed draft picks to get trade deals done along with allowing us to get Dodson and Draper.

Geesus this club makes some dumb list decisions.
they were only offering pick 42 thats not worth a burned biscuit. berry should have been traded they wanted him too.

Borlase won't net any draft capital if we traded him. Keane may well net a 2nd rounder. If we are letting one go to try and improve our draft hand its obvious. If we want to keep Keane who has a higher ceiling (as much as i rate james as being very capable of coming in to do a job and do it consistently), its borlase we shoukd be letting leave and accept we only free up a rookie spot
borlase is shit. he should be delisted. nobody else would want him.

Yes, Keane has more trade value. That's because he's the better player. I prefer to keep him for that very same reason.

Yes, Borlase is on the rookie list - and trading/delisting him only frees up a rookie list position. However, that creates a position which we can use to transfer a player off the senior list (via delisting & re-drafting in the RD) - so both options can be used to create a vacancy on the senior list.
Yeah true that re the rookie spot. Sure we could keep keane as yep he can play, but where is the crossover between being bold with list play and playing it too safe. We should be trying to get more draft capital in this draft to maybe try and trade up.

Yeah true that re the rookie spot. Sure we could keep keane as yep he can play, but where is the crossover between being bold with list play and playing it too safe. We should be trying to get more draft capital in this draft to maybe try and trade up.
I think Berry would have been the better trade option. But that's done, and he's re-signed.

We need to strengthen the list, but we can't rob Peter to pay Paul, to get it done.

Well Geelong are the benchmark for culture and results yet they twice resigned Tom Hawkins at an older age and less productivity than Tex.

People love to ignore Geelong because they just don’t support the narrative that you need to move on players once they hit 30, and that you need a full rebuild to stay relevant. Collingwood with Sidebottom and Pendleberry, Brisbane with Zorko and Geelong with Duncan, Hawkins and Dangerfield are all examples of the benefit of keeping experience if those players are still contributing.
The issue is that our senior players are cooked/don't contribute yet are given another contract. Sloane didn't deserve one, Smith certainly doesn't (that's on Nicks for playing him to trigger the clause) and it's very debatable about Tex (we've all loved him, but we know next year will definitely be one too many). Hawkins was washed up this year, but he was still playing great footy last year which gave him another deserved year.

I'm OK with senior players getting contracts if they're still offering plenty on the field. Ours haven't been.

borlase is shit. he should be delisted. nobody else would want him.
Borlase isn't shit as you so eloquently put it but he is strictly SANFL/AFL depth that is hopefully not required by the AFL team and if so only minimally.

My guess with Borlase too is they see him as a two birds with one stone signing. If we lose Himmelberg and delist Gollant then Borlase also becomes key forward depth.
Ugh

He's not a forwards bootlace though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he doesn't make it so be it but give him a chance to shine and not become a good player for another team.

I hear what you're saying all the time ....it was being said about Newchurch & Hately ...but they haven't been picked up, and rarely do they ever ...it's a small %

Gollant is a SANFL player ....at AFL level, whilst he has some fine attributes, he's got "Cement Hands" ....we've persevered long enough to see if it could be corrected

Last edited:
If he does sign a long term contract, does it make Butts a tradeable player?

He’s had a few injury concerns the past few seasons and has struggled at times when playing underdone, but with KPD being a highly valuable commodity he’d probably have some real value if we were looking to trade.
Our problem this year was depth .....we can't make these calls based on best 22 ....AND, we need players fighting for positions ....again, didn't happen this year

Keane's one of the very few players on our list that actually has trade capital.

KPDs always command overs in deals and would give us much needed draft picks to get trade deals done along with allowing us to get Dodson and Draper.

Geesus this club makes some dumb list decisions.
Getting Draper is less than a 10% chance ....he loves ESS ....he's one of the few players who consistently stays out on the park chatting to supporters and signing autographs

Our problem this year was depth .....we can't make these calls based on best 22 ....AND, we need players fighting for positions ....again, didn't happen this year
If we've retained pretty much everyone, how do you see us improving in that regard?

Borlase isn't shit as you so eloquently put it but he is strictly SANFL/AFL depth that is hopefully not required by the AFL team and if so only minimally.
dont disagree with you often but he is sanfl. he is not afl standard and will never be. too slow, cant turn, and worst he just coughs up easy goals in the goal square through lack of any finesse. wasting a list spot even if rookie. yes he can mark admittedly but its not enough.

i think when you look at the hawks and you see the running every player on the field is doing I really question them going after barrass and battle. will it stuff that up. similarly i think we will struggle with murray and butts in same team as the game morphs to even more speed and 22 guys just running and running. worrell and keane will adapt. murray and butts I dont know. borlase absolutely not.

If we've retained pretty much everyone, how do you see us improving in that regard?
We can't retain everyone, nor should we ......it's a combination of what comes in versus outgoing ....plus returning injured players & players breaking out

If you're not excited about Oscar Ryan, or Edwards .....or you don't think Pedlar & Milera makes us better ....or you don't think continuity will make Thilthorpe, Murray, and Worrell better ....then you need to stand in the pessimist line

That's without adding ANB + ?

Oh and watchout for Toby Murray :)

Just adding 3-4 players into a side, changes the balance and ranking of opposition match-ups ....that's how close the competition is

dont disagree with you often but he is sanfl. he is not afl standard and will never be. too slow, cant turn, and worst he just coughs up easy goals in the goal square through lack of any finesse. wasting a list spot even if rookie. yes he can mark admittedly but its not enough.

i think when you look at the hawks and you see the running every player on the field is doing I really question them going after barrass and battle. will it stuff that up. similarly i think we will struggle with murray and butts in same team as the game morphs to even more speed and 22 guys just running and running. worrell and keane will adapt. murray and butts I dont know. borlase absolutely not.
Yep .....the smart forwards will simply drag Borlaise up the ground and turn him around .....a) he can't turn, and b) he's not quick enough to recover

AFL works out players very quickly on how to play them .....and oppo Clubs aim to play thru the weakest oppo matchup

berry and borlase should have been cut or traded but anyway

golant mchenry burgess sloane EH will be cut or traded

parnell hamill cut from rookie list

strachan and smith delisted and re rookied

that gives us 7 main list spots. 1 is used on T murray so thats 6

ANB Cumming Luko - if goes to plan who knows

Draper Dodson Welsh (just example) could be different pick 4 and developing ruck

so it does fit... but crikey i would have liked to rookie jack michalanney which they clearly now wont do because the rookie list will be full or smith strachan etc

Yep .....the smart forwards will simply drag Borlaise up the ground and turn him around .....a) he can't turn, and b) he's not quick enough to recover

AFL works out players very quickly on how to play them .....and oppo Clubs aim to play thru the weakest oppo matchup
Phew..wipes brow, luckily then in every AFL game he has played to date he must have fluked it and only played on the dumb forwards🤙

Phew..wipes brow, luckily then in every AFL game he has played to date he must have fluked it and only played on the dumb forwards🤙
You won't get too many dumb forwards in Finals .....it's Cameron's MO ....and Charlie Curnow would take Borlaise to the cleaners

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back