Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I'd want more than that from Freo. If you are splitting 2/3 you have to get at least 1 top ten pick coming back your way.
We need to recruit West Coast fans and the West Australian to tell the world we need 2 top 10 picks, an additional first rounder, 2 second rounders and the rights to Matthew Pavlich's bloodline for F/S prospects to consider trading pick 2.

Personally, I'd want more than that from Freo. If you are splitting 2/3 you have to get at least 1 top ten pick coming back your way.
Freo’s highest picks are their own first rounder, Collingwood’s, and Port’s. None of those teams have an easy run home. How their draft hand ends up will be an interesting watch.

If we miss out on FOS, is Langford the big body mid we supposedly need?

I don't think Langford is the type of player you are describing. Like Smillie, he isn't a big bodied inside contested ball winning freak like Cripps or Tom Green.

In saying that, Langford has no worries winning clearances at the coal face. However, he is more of a balanced inside/outside midfielder. He gets plenty of his disposals around the ground in transition.

The biggest appeal for Langford for us would be the fact that he is versatile. He can play wing, play deep as a forward and play across half back. Ball in hand he has good decision making and a penetrating left boot. On the flip side, the thing wouldn't appeal to us is that he is a little bit one paced, and at this stage he doesn't have elite running capacity (even though he seems to cover the ground well).

I don't think Langford is the type of player you are describing. Like Smillie, he isn't a big bodied inside contested ball winning freak like Cripps or Tom Green.

In saying that, Langford has no worries winning clearances at the coal face. However, he is more of a balanced inside/outside midfielder. He gets plenty of his disposals around the ground in transition.

The biggest appeal for Langford for us would be the fact that he is versatile. He can play wing, play deep as a forward and play across half back. Ball in hand he has good decision making and a penetrating left boot. On the flip side, the thing wouldn't appeal to us is that he is a little bit one paced, and at this stage he doesn't have elite running capacity (even though he seems to cover the ground well).

Correct, Sam Durham might be the best comparison, without the top end speed.

You could see Langford being able to play the wing and forward, despite not being overly quick.

He's more versatile than Powell and Phillips because of his overhead ability and regularly getting outside of stoppage and using ball use.

I however think the recruitment of Langford would spell the end of Powell or Phillips at North inside the next 18 months.

Simply not enough midfield time to go around.

You could see Langford being able to play the wing and forward, despite not being overly quick.

He's more versatile than Powell and Phillips because of his overhead ability and regularly getting outside of stoppage and using ball use.

I however think the recruitment of Langford would spell the end of Powell or Phillips at North inside the next 18 months.

I think that's why, despite being a big fan of Langford since the early stages of this year I haven't been the biggest advocate for us picking him up. Langford probably doesn't suit our list build (as a midfielder) that well mainly because he is a little too similar to Powell.

It's shame that there isn't a key forward or small forward who has pushed into the top 5 region this year, as those two things are what we desperately need.

Not sure I’d agree with that. Personally, I think his underage teammate at Sandringham, Archie Ludowyke would be a better run and jump contested marker.

I’ve mentioned before that Armstrong actually reminds me a bit of Larkey in that his work rate and natural forward craft is what gets him on the end of many of his scoring opportunities. His contested marking is still rock solid though.
Big fan of Archie but the problem is if we're going to go all in on getting a key forward then I'd be surprised if he'd be on our radar next year but then again by the time Nick retires Archie would be hitting his peak, its going to be so interesting which forward we target out of the ones I've previously mentioned and how highly do we rate them compared to Finn, Josh, Sid and Sam?

A lot of talk about splitting our 1st pick with Freo, why not Gold Coast? Just tell them we're nominating Lombard at pick 2 or we trade picks?

As far as key forwards are concerned,

I know Whitlock had a good game on the weekend but from what I understand, he hadn't done all that much before that? When it comes to a Key Forward, I want to see them performing consistently if we're going to be taking them with a first rounder. I'll be interested to see how he goes over the coming weeks but I don't get the sudden hype over him after just one game where he happened to take a couple of grabs.

Not sure about Armstrong. No doubt he's talented but to me, he seems too similar to Larkey. I would prefer a key forward with different attributes to compliment Larkey. A strong, contested type.

From what I hear, Shanahan doesn't seem to have set the world on fire and has seemed to fairly consistently fall back in the ratings over the season which concerns me.

Faull sounded like a bit of a dark horse at the start of the season and is that contested marking type I would like but like Shanahan, he continually slipped down the rankings.

Which brings me to Gerreyn and why I like him. He has performed pretty consistently this year from what I can tell. He is a strong, contested type with good skills. Seems to be a pretty solid set shot for goal and can also pinch hit in the ruck where I've seen him do some excellent tap work and he covers the ground well in general play. I also like that he's a completely different type of player to Larkey which gives us versatility.

A lot of talk about splitting our 1st pick with Freo, why not Gold Coast? Just tell them we're nominating Lombard at pick 2 or we trade picks?

I know Whitlock had a good game on the weekend but from what I understand, he hadn't done all that much before that? When it comes to a Key Forward, I want to see them performing consistently if we're going to be taking them with a first rounder. I'll be interested to see how he goes over the coming weeks but I don't get the sudden hype over him after just one game where he happened to take a couple of grabs.

Not sure about Armstrong. No doubt he's talented but to me, he seems too similar to Larkey. I would prefer a key forward with different attributes to compliment Larkey. A strong, contested type.

From what I hear, Shanahan doesn't seem to have set the world on fire and has seemed to fairly consistently fall back in the ratings over the season which concerns me.

Faull sounded like a bit of a dark horse at the start of the season and is that contested marking type I would like but like Shanahan, he continually slipped down the rankings.

Which brings me to Gerreyn and why I like him. He has performed pretty consistently this year from what I can tell. He is a strong, contested type with good skills. Seems to be a pretty solid set shot for goal and can also pinch hit in the ruck where I've seen him do some excellent tap work and he covers the ground well in general play. I also like that he's a completely different type of player to Larkey which gives us versatility.

Shanahan was named the AA CHF.

He had 16 touches and 3 goals in their game against VC.

Was very good against WA.

The game against VM was a wet weather game and he didn't play in their game against SA.

Shanahan was named the AA CHF.

He had 16 touches and 3 goals in their game against VC.

Was very good against WA.

The game against VM was a wet weather game and he didn't play in their game against SA.

Why is he continuing to slip in the rankings then? He started out being a top 10 chance, now he's heading towards top 30.

Why is he continuing to slip in the rankings then?

The "rankings" are subjective and very early.

Armstrong is an example of someone who has had a strong few weeks at CTL and School level and franked it at the Champs.

The Allies are always slightly out of mind vs some of the bigger games.

Shanahan could easily get selected before the Whitlocks as an example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "rankings" are subjective and very early.

Armstrong is an example of someone who has had a strong few weeks at CTL and School level and franked it at the Champs.

The Allies are always slightly out of mind vs some of the bigger games.

Shanahan could easily get selected before the Whitlocks as an example.

I would be interested in your thoughts how Gerreyn measures up against these guys? Both individually and in terms of our team structure?

The odds of a midfielder in the mid teens being better than FOS at the end of their career would be an extremely long one in my personal opinion.

This draft is an even one, it doesn't mean there aren't levels to it.

It depends if you are going to draft for needs and prioritise that over best available at the very top of the draft.

The only players I have a real interest in exploring a split pick over are Trainor, Armstrong, Travagalia and Kako/Berry. 2 of those 4 will be taken inside the top 10 in my opinion on draft night (Trainor & Travaglia). Kako now seems to be off the table unfortunately, so reduces that need even further.

The likes of Lalor/Draper would be value there, but not really the point of the entire exercise. Murphy Reid would be an interesting selection, as he's basically the K-Mart version of midfield Sheezel in this draft.

The exercise is completely pointless if you don't get two on that earlier list and nail needs.

Getting just one of them and steak knives is not worth missing out on one of the absolute best players in a strong draft.

I would much prefer FOS/Langford over Armstrong + Matt Whitlock.

That might appear a good deal on paper now, but not if FOS turns into a Brownlow medal contender, which is has better odds than Whitlock or Armstrong turning into perennial AA KPP's imo.
You're failry nailed to cross on the a FOS selection there Sphynx !! I do love the Murphy Reid/K-Mart version
:smile:

It's pretty wild...there is not one line where these 5 judges (atm) could all agree upon.

RankCal Twomey AFL July Rankings (170724)Jasper Chellappah ESPN July Rankings (170724)Michael Alvaro/CRM July Rankings (160724)roos_fanatic08 (180724)EdPascoe_draft (190724)
1Levi AshcroftSid DraperJosh SmillieFinn O'SullivanJosh Smillie
2Josh SmillieJagga SmithFinn O'SullivanLevi AshcroftFinn O'Sullivan
3Finn O'SullivanLeonardo LombardJagga SmithHarvey LangfordJagga Smith
4Harvey LangfordFinn O'SullivanLevi AshcroftSid DraperBo Allan
5Murphy ReidJosh SmillieSam LalorLeo LombardXavier Lindsay
6Jagga SmithSam LalorLuke TrainorJosh SmillieLevi Ashcroft
7Luke TrainorLevi AshcroftLeonardo LombardLuke TrainorLeonardo Lombard
8Sam LalorTobie TravagliaSid DraperJagga SmithSid Draper
9Sid DraperLuke TrainorBo AllanSam LalorLuke Trainor
10Bo AllanHarvey LangfordMurphy ReidTobie TravagliaJoe Berry
11Leonardo LombardXavier LindsayTaj HottonMatt WhitlockTobie Travaglia
12Taj HottonJoe BerryXavier LindsayIsaac KakoIsaac Kako
13Tobie TravagliaTaj HottonChristian MoraesMurphy ReidHarry Armstrong
14Harry ArmstrongIsaac KakoSamuel MarshallHarry ArmstrongHarvey Langford
15Isaac KakoBo AllanJoe BerryXavier LindsayTom Gross
16Xavier LindsayMurphy ReidJack WhitlockJoe BerryMurphy Reid
17Joe BerryAlex DodsonTom GrossJack WhitlockTaj Hotton
18Jack WhitlockJobe ShanahanMatt WhitlockTaj HottonSam Lalor
19Cooper HynesChristian MoraesHarry ArmstrongBo AllenJasper Alger
20Tom GrossHarry ArmstrongIsaac KakoAlex DodsonLuke Urquhart
21Samuel MarshallBen CamporealeJobe ShanahanJonty FaullSam Marshall
22Christian MoraesKayle GerreynTobie TravagliaJobe ShanahanAlex Dodson
23Alex DodsonJack WhitlockHarry O'FarrellHarry O'FarrellMatt Whitlock
24Alix TauruSamuel MarshallNoah MrazChristian MoraesJack Whitlock
25Harrison OliverJonty FaullHarvey LangfordTom GrossHarrison Olvier
26Matt WhitlockTom GrossHarrison OliverBen CamporealeThomas Sims
27Jobe ShanahanHarry O'FarrellAlex DodsonTom SimsAlixzander Tauru
28Jonty FaullMatt WhitlockAlix TauruCooper HynesCooper Hynes
29Thomas SimsCooper HynesCooper HynesKayle GerrynLachie Jacques
30Noah MrazHamish DavisLogan SmithSam MarshallChristian Moraes

Here is a bit of a comparison between the key forwards and the types of attributes they have:

Harry Armstrong
Contested Marking :greencross:
Leading Target :greencross:
Set Shot Goal Kicking :greencross:
Ground Level Game :greencross:
Ability to Push Up The Ground :greencross:
Ability to Ruck :crossmark:
Mobility :greencross:
Overall Athleticism ❓
Big Body ❓ - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward

Jack Whitlock
Contested Marking - hit and miss
Set Shot Goal Kicking :crossmark:
Ability to Push Up The Ground :crossmark:
Ability to Ruck :greencross:
Overall Athleticism :greencross:
Big Body :crossmark:

Jonty Faull
Ground Level Game :crossmark:
Mobility :crossmark:
Overall Athleticism :question:
Big Body :greencross:

Tom Sims
Set Shot Goal Kicking - hit and miss
Big Body :question: - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward

Jobe Shanahan
Big Body :question: - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward, more mobile type.

Kayle Gerreyn

Charlie Nicholls
Set Shot Goal Kicking :crossmark::crossmark::crossmark:
Ability to Ruck :question:

It's pretty wild...there is not one line where these 5 judges (atm) could all agree upon.

RankCal Twomey AFL July Rankings (170724)Jasper Chellappah ESPN July Rankings (170724)Michael Alvaro/CRM July Rankings (160724)roos_fanatic08 (180724)EdPascoe_draft (190724)

Pretty crazy

In terms of the top picks ratings

Levi Ashcroft 1 - 7
Sid Draper 1 - 9
Josh Smillie 1 - 6
Finn O'Sullivan 1 - 4
Jagga Smith - 2 - 8

Key Forwards

Harry Armstrong 13 - 20
Jack Whitlock 16 - 24
Jobe Shanahan 18 - 30+
Jonty Faull 21 - 30+
Kayle Gerreyn - 22 - 30+

Pretty crazy

In terms of the top picks ratings

Levi Ashcroft 1 - 7
Sid Draper 1 - 9
Josh Smillie 1 - 6
Finn O'Sullivan 1 - 4
Jagga Smith - 2 - 8

Key Forwards

Harry Armstrong 13 - 20
Jack Whitlock 16 - 24
Jobe Shanahan 18 - 30+
Jonty Faull 21 - 30+
Kayle Gerreyn - 22 - 30+
Let’s get a couple of those forwards

Here is a bit of a comparison between the key forwards and the types of attributes they have:

Harry Armstrong
Overall Athleticism ❓
Big Body ❓ - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward

Jack Whitlock
Set Shot Goal Kicking :crossmark:
Big Body :crossmark:

Jonty Faull
Mobility :crossmark:

Tom Sims
Big Body :question: - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward

Jobe Shanahan
Big Body :question: - not sure if he develops into a real big bodied key forward, more mobile type.

Kayle Gerreyn

Charlie Nicholls
Set Shot Goal Kicking :crossmark::crossmark::crossmark:
Ability to Ruck :question:

Thanks for this roos! Kayle looks pretty well rounded. In terms of contested marking, I guess at a minimum you want a strong body who can compete in a pack and bring the ball to ground. But Xerri has developed his contested marking this season beyond any of us probably thought 12 months ago. I hadn't noticed anything too bad with his set shot goal kicking either. He seems to have a pretty reasonable kicking action and I'm sure Larkey would be able to give him a few pointers.

Based on these rankings, it would appear to be a bit of a reach for anyone still hoping we will spend pick 2 on Trainor and equally unlikely that he will be available at a pick we will get for splitting pick 2.

Next year is massive for both Phillips and Powell. Powell needs to show the tank to be a full time mid or its probably time to look for other spots for him such as half back. Im not suggesting trading him at all, his skills and vision are way too high and is why he'd be a real weapon setting up play from HB. What are you thoughts on him taking a wing?

Phillips has a bigger ask imo, he needs to fit a rotation with Wardlaw and be a pressure forward. He's not going to be the dynamic small forward that kicks 5 goals, but he could easily kick us 1 a game and create numerous more. On the positive for him he does have goal sense being able to capitalize on opportunities.
So i do think we can fit in another mid player particularly with wings being so vanilla, nut your right in that pace and versatility help balance a lot.

The positive for us as i see it, any mid types we do recruit can do 2-3 year apprenticeships off the flanks while they build tanks and get used to the pace. If we got Smillie for example theres no rush to be throwing him in the middle, his first year or two might be more about adding some burst, greater endurance and overhead marking. If we got FOS, then he's probably a plug n play taking a wing.

Last edited:
Well that's an interesting question bringbackboomer, some people think we need a big body in there and some don't, If you listen to what Will says about this years draft he's pretty adamant that we need more class/ elite talent in this team, now Harvey is a very good player, there is no doubt about this, but if we forget size for a minute and concentrate on Will's words, while very good I'm not sure he is in that top 4 players in this years draft but there are two points to watch for on this matter.

1/ There is still a way to go before the end of the season, has he done enough or does he have to go to another level to be selected in that top 4? 2/ IF we do not split our pick I think there are three players on our radar for our pick, but it doesn't matter what I think, its the talent order on Will's notebook that is the biggest question along with do we end up with pick 2 or 3?
I don't think Langford is top 4 level. Not quite as talented as FOS/Smillie/Draper imo.
There's also something about Lalor in terms of x-factor. Smith and Reid have a bit of class as well.
I like Langford at 190cm, tough, high workrate, defensive intensity but kicking efficiency and speed are questions for me.

Thanks for this roos! Kayle looks pretty well rounded. In terms of contested marking, I guess at a minimum you want a strong body who can compete in a pack and bring the ball to ground. But Xerri has developed his contested marking this season beyond any of us probably thought 12 months ago. I hadn't noticed anything too bad with his set shot goal kicking either. He seems to have a pretty reasonable kicking action and I'm sure Larkey would be able to give him a few pointers.
A few earlier games in the colts that I watched his set shot kicking sucked. It was far better during the championship games. I wouldn't say Gerreyn is a bad contested mark, it's just that he tends to favour marking on his chest rather than taking the ball at height with his arms extended. His strength and overall athleticism should hold him in good stead when it comes to developing his contested marking game.

There are three things that I really love bout Gerreyn that make me think he'd be perfect for our list build.

1. He already has a huge frame. He is going to fill out to be 103-105kg, proper specimen in that Dixon/Hawkins mould. A genuine big bodied key forward is something we don't have on the list.

2. Flexibility in his game. He can play as a lead up CHF, work through the ruck or even go for a run through the midfield. Natural footy smarts around the ground allows him to stay involved. Teaching key forwards how to find the ball when they are developing is a big battle in itself.

3. Skills. He is a beautiful field kick and decision maker. Meaning if he gets the ball in that 60-80m range you are confident he will find a target inside forward 50. Much the same way Taylor Walker does.

Shanahan and Armstrong also have that same ability to get up the ground and play as a more mobile/traditional CHF, it's why I find the two of them also very appealing. I think Faull has the same ability, but probably a bit less mobile than the other three.

Based on these rankings, it would appear to be a bit of a reach for anyone still hoping we will spend pick 2 on Trainor and equally unlikely that he will be available at a pick we will get for splitting pick 2.

Despite him not being rated by those draft watchers I'm sure you could make a case to take him in the top 3/4 this will especially be the case if he tests well at the draft combine. If clubs can foresee him being a genuine key defender, rather than an intercepting 3rd tall type then that also would be more than enough justification to take him higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back