Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You're failry nailed to cross on the a FOS selection there Sphynx !! I do love the Murphy Reid/K-Mart version
:smile:
Sphynx, standing up from his chair on draft night. :D
yes GIF

Sphynx, standing up from his chair on draft night. :D
yes GIF
I tend to agree with him.
Fos is the perfect player from the top end of the draft for us.
We all have our favourites I suppose.
Trainer would be my least favourite

The one attribute that doesn’t make him suitable for us is that he is a little bit one paced. It’s really his only obvious flaw (subject to post season testing)
I’m not really worried.

Having multiple running, smart and skilled players running the length of the ground and getting involved in multiple contests surely beats out and out speed.

Goater (HB/wing), LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher is a good base to then fill out with some dashing HB/wings/FPs.

Pretty crazy

In terms of the top picks ratings

Levi Ashcroft 1 - 7
Sid Draper 1 - 9
Josh Smillie 1 - 6
Finn O'Sullivan 1 - 4
Jagga Smith - 2 - 8

Key Forwards

Harry Armstrong 13 - 20
Jack Whitlock 16 - 24
Jobe Shanahan 18 - 30+
Jonty Faull 21 - 30+
Kayle Gerreyn - 22 - 30+
Having a few picks in the 15-30 range could really setup our rebuild, filling some gaping holes in the side.

In this scenario, Thursfield would be licking his lips.

Can't see too many teams who would want to trade out of the 2nd round though.

Crows pick 31 (Welsh bid)
Freo pick 24 (might not want a 4th selection)
GC pick 28 (Lombard bid)
Bulldogs pick 29 - McRae salary dump trade?

3. Skills. He is a beautiful field kick and decision maker. Meaning if he gets the ball in that 60-80m range you are confident he will find a target inside forward 50. Much the same way Taylor Walker does.
It might be a bit fanciful, but I would love it if we gave Tex a 2 year deal and drafted Gerreyn as well.

Pretty much attach them at the hip and tell Kayle to learn everything he can about playing CHF from Walker for 2 years.

jeez I hope dursma turns out, caddy looks very good

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but nobody was talking about Caddy at pick 3 despite our list needs. If anything, we were hoping to trade up our end of round 1 picks to get something in the range where Caddy went but there were no bites.

He looks very promising to be fair. He moves and marks like a young Charlie Curnow.
100% this.

His kicking is so bad tho.

You'd hope it would improve if Souv was helping him out. If we haven't sorted our forward line in a couple of years time he might be worth chasing cos * will be going nowhere.

Plays more midfield role when he is playing for the Western Jets, but he was forced to play half backs in the champs due to metro’s depth. Really highlighted his versatility. He is a real no fuss type that gets the job done regardless of where he plays. Always been a fan.

I reckon Greggo and his teammate Matofai-Forbes are coping the standard western jets underrating treatment. Same way Curtis and Ford did in the past!

A lot of talk about splitting our 1st pick with Freo, why not Gold Coast? Just tell them we're nominating Lombard at pick 2 or we trade picks?

As far as key forwards are concerned,

I know Whitlock had a good game on the weekend but from what I understand, he hadn't done all that much before that? When it comes to a Key Forward, I want to see them performing consistently if we're going to be taking them with a first rounder. I'll be interested to see how he goes over the coming weeks but I don't get the sudden hype over him after just one game where he happened to take a couple of grabs.

Not sure about Armstrong. No doubt he's talented but to me, he seems too similar to Larkey. I would prefer a key forward with different attributes to compliment Larkey. A strong, contested type.

From what I hear, Shanahan doesn't seem to have set the world on fire and has seemed to fairly consistently fall back in the ratings over the season which concerns me.

Faull sounded like a bit of a dark horse at the start of the season and is that contested marking type I would like but like Shanahan, he continually slipped down the rankings.

Which brings me to Gerreyn and why I like him. He has performed pretty consistently this year from what I can tell. He is a strong, contested type with good skills. Seems to be a pretty solid set shot for goal and can also pinch hit in the ruck where I've seen him do some excellent tap work and he covers the ground well in general play. I also like that he's a completely different type of player to Larkey which gives us versatility.
Geeryen turned it on for you today..15 k 15 h 8 marks.30 hit outs.2 goals3 behinds. Not a bad effort in a narrow victory over east Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but nobody was talking about Caddy at pick 3 despite our list needs. If anything, we were hoping to trade up our end of round 1 picks to get something in the range where Caddy went but there were no bites.
To be fair I'm pretty sure Nostra was all over him very early in the piece.

I was at this game. Trainor took a ridic grab, right in front of me, that he had no right to take. Shame he didn’t drill the goal, what a way to end his BGS career that would’ve been.
Took the win anyway.
He was heavily tagged for 3Q’s and he was playing in defence. The Haileybury opponent’s sole job was to niggle and hassle LT all day. It worked, until Luke went forward in the last and BGS came home over the top of them. Good game of footy…..scrappy, but enjoyable.

Langford reminds me a bit of Jack Crisp or Jordan Dawson just having watched them last night and today.

Can somebody explain why O’Sullivan is rated so highly? I know he’s been injured but even in his highlights, I don’t see anything that stands out. Based on the limited evidence I’ve seen on You Tube, the top end of this draft looks vanilla compared to Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Watson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can somebody explain why O’Sullivan is rated so highly? I know he’s been injured but even in his highlights, I don’t see anything that stands out. Based on the limited evidence I’ve seen on You Tube, the top end of this draft looks vanilla compared to Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Watson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Huh? What clips have you been watching? The recent clips he's massively underdone on fitness.
FOS has elite endurance, a burst of speed, an ability to side-step and get in and out of traffic, give 20m handballs to teammates in space who don't have to break stride, a good kick of the footy and defensive intensity and toughness.

It is true that the top 4 this year is probably not as good as last years but FOS has been injured so hard to know how good he could've played.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back