Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching today’s game against Geelong and from what I’ve seen of potential draftees, I’m convinced we need to pick Smillie. Big bodied mid who is one touch in clearances and has poise with his disposal coming out of stoppage. Can also go forward and kick goals. All the other mids at the top end seem to rack up the footy but lack class.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So would you be happy if we chose him with our 2nd pick Scout or do you think we should choose someone else. Who would be your 2nde pick for us regardless of needs.
I think come draft night our picks will look a little bit different to what we have now, but hypothetically speaking, if our picks are somewhat the same, with our second pick it comes down to two players, and I think this player will be long gone, Harry Armstrong or Kayle, what Harry did at the champs was amazing and I'm not just talking about that last game which was pretty much a final.

If both players were available, a very hard decision as these two players can be very very good to a point where their ceiling is incredibly high. Different players by a long way but if Harry Armstrong was available at our second pick its virtually a no brainer, you select him and celebrate because I think he too will be a gun forward. Likewise if he's gone, I would pull the trigger and select Kayle Gerreyn and celebrating would be an understatement!

Lastly, in the case they are both taken I would be picking Jack Whitlock and if he's gone Jonty Faull. Suffice to say I have big wraps on Harry, he could well be anything. I'm of the opinion even this far out that one way or another, one of these four players will be in a North Melbourne jumper on draft night!

I think come draft night our picks will look a little bit different to what we have now, but hypothetically speaking, if our picks are somewhat the same, with our second pick it comes down to two players, and I think this player will be long gone, Harry Armstrong or Kayle, what Harry did at the champs was amazing and I'm not just talking about that last game which was pretty much a final.

If both players were available, a very hard decision as these two players can be very very good to a point where their ceiling is incredibly high. Different players by a long way but if Harry Armstrong was available at our second pick its virtually a no brainer, you select him and celebrate because I think he too will be a gun forward. Likewise if he's gone, I would pull the trigger and select Kayle Gerreyn and celebrating would be an understatement!

Lastly, in the case they are both taken I would be picking Jack Whitlock and if he's gone Jonty Faull. Suffice to say I have big wraps on Harry, he could well be anything. I'm of the opinion even this far out that one way or another, one of these four players will be in a North Melbourne jumper on draft night!
I just like to look of Sims as another tall forward. Almost a Teakle spot. With Norths 2nd pick. Interested to see how Sims goes.

Murphy Reid is basically a Sheezel clone. Clean, composed, skillful, smart and can play multiple positions. Only concern is his height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just like to look of Sims as another tall forward. Almost a Teakle spot. With Norths 2nd pick. Interested to see how Sims goes.
Yeah he's a nice player Steele7, can certainly launch at the footy and take a mark, but his kicking for goal. 😬🫣
I always say that all draftee's have got something to work on no matter how good they are but kicking is such a delicate mechanism that a lot of people think it can be fixed, well it can but it takes a while and in many cases either the player is at fault and refuses to change or their action has never been addressed. Played well at the champs apart from his kicking for goal and my main point on this is that half of them were easy shots, whoever picks him up I'm sure one of the coaches will work with him on this.

Watched a few more clips of Sid Draper that noobermensch has put together. Think I’ve really underrated his hardness at the footy and his cleanliness below his knees. The fact that he is now doing it against men in the SANFL speaks volumes to his upside potential.

I’ll be very curious to see how he tests at the combine for his 5-10m sprints and his yo-yo. He seems to have a very quick first 3-4 steps that allows him to breakaway from the stoppages, also seems to get from contest to contest relatively easily.

Biggest downside for us is that he seems really only suited to playing as a centre square midfielder. Looks a bit lost when playing on a wing and hasn’t had much exposed form across half back.

Watched a few more clips of Sid Draper that noobermensch has put together. Think I’ve really underrated his hardness at the footy and his cleanliness below his knees. The fact that he is now doing it against men in the SANFL speaks volumes to his upside potential.

I’ll be very curious to see how he tests at the combine for his 5-10m sprints and his yo-yo. He seems to have a very quick first 3-4 steps that allows him to breakaway from the stoppages, also seems to get from contest to contest relatively easily.

Biggest downside for us is that he seems really only suited to playing as a centre square midfielder. Looks a bit lost when playing on a wing and hasn’t had much exposed form across half back.
He's started to play a bit at half forward for South Adelaide, I think there's some potential there.

If you look at our side yesterday and asked me who our weakest 5 positions are that we need to upgrade on I'd say:
Teakle (KPF/Ruck)
Hansen (Small fwd)
Stephens (Wing)
Tucker (Wing)
Stephenson (Flanker)

This isn't to say I don't respect what guys like Teakle and Tucker have offered this season - they've been serviceable and done their jobs often, but moving forward we'd want them as depth rather than as best 22 types.

There are no KPF's or small forwards we should take in the top 3 (unless Taj Hotton...). So our next biggest need is outside run on a wing/flank. There are 2 blokes who are athletic and versatile enough to play on a wing, half forward flank or as genuine mids:

Finn O'Sullivan
Vertical: 90cm
20m: 3.046
Agility: 8.117
Yo-yo: 1000

Taj Hotton
Vertical: 93cm
20m: 2.882
Agility: 7.807
Yo-yo: 800

Finn put his runs on the board last year. I've got little doubt Taj Hotton would have put his name up as a genuine top 3 if not for his ACL - he was putting together some huge performances before injury.

Unfortunately, Taj Hotton appears to be considered a pick closer to 10 than 1 (I'd personally take him if Finn is gone), Finn closer to 1 than 10.

If he's there, the pick of Finn O'Sullivan makes way too much sense based on what we need. No go home factor. He's an immediate upgrade on Tucker and/or Stephens on a wing. He could also slot in on a back or forward flank if we want him there instead.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back