Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough going for Finn O’Sullivan with no games for the Oakleigh Chargers this weekend or next weekend. Realistically might only have 2 games left to play for the year as it’s unlikely Oakleigh play finals.
How do you think that effects his chances of still going 1-2 roos if he has just 2 relatively average games.

How do you think that effects his chances of still going 1-2 roos if he has just 2 relatively average games.

Recruiters have often been following some of these kids for years. Some would be confident that he is still worthy of a top 3 pick while others would be putting more stock into his lack of continuity this year.

Thankfully for us he spent nearly two weeks at the club in the pre season as part of the AFL academy so we’d have confidence in our ability to judge where his talent sits amongst the rest of the pool.

I'm seriously thinking about something that I don't think Will, Brady and Alastair will do this year and I've been against it for the last five years as well as this year, though I was open to the Harley situation, but not for all our draft picks.
I've been adamant that we trade in a future 2nd rounder and not touch our first {mainly because of Archie Ludowyke} who I rate but with Harry and Kayle this year its made me think about the future drafts of 2025 and 2026, before "Tassie" enter and clean up the talent pool.

I think I need to explain as there are sometimes people out there that say NO, not our first rounder, WHAT IF we get injuries or don't improve and finish in the bottom 3 again. So what? We miss out on another midfielder or a very good key forward, I think we are now at the stage to do this, like I'm 99% sure, with every day passing its going to get to that hundred mark, I can feel it! While some people will still be against it, that's fine we all have our own thoughts, but think about this before you dismiss it completely.

(1) We trade not our future second rounder in but our first and get maximum value by getting two first round picks this year and the perfect team to do this is Gold Coast because of the picks they have though I'm pretty sure they are not interested in draft picks, they want established talent.

(2) If and its a big if, this were to happen and just say we got picks 8 and 9 or where ever they finish, in the draft we get the best talent at our first pick {pick 2 or 3} say we have picks 8/9/ a late twentyish pick and a late fortyish pick. We can possibly get at 8/9 our gun key forward in Harry Armstrong and one of either Taj Hotton, Joe Berry or Murphy Reid as our gun small forward, our late twentyish pick can be anyone but say we opt to go for one of the key defenders or some more run out of defence like Lindsay {I think he might be gone at this stage} or even Oliver, finish our draft off by taking River at our fortyish pick, of course we could rookie him.

(3) Out of our final draft we get, a gun mid, possibly the most exciting key forward seen for some time, one of the three I mentioned so whoever we pick quite possibly the best small forward in the draft and then a good key defender or running half back plus River, OUR LIST WOULD BE SO SET AND IF YOU HAVE SEEN US NEARLY BEATING Collingwood, Melbourne, Essendon, St Kilda, Carlton and early in the season Fremantle you then add this talent, what do you think we are going to do to the opposition with this mob its actually borderline insane , we wont lack anything, we don't need anyone else and we don't have to worry about the draft because we got our talent and we can concentrate on developing them and watching them go about their style of play that is going to make us feared for the next ten years!

(4) When 2025 rolls along we have got a full year into our kids so we are ahead instead of starting of scratch for talent and needs, of course we will still need to take our three selections but we can work our way round that, but I must point out that in order for this to happen we have to at least get two top picks in the top 10 or 12 and have a team to trade with that has those picks, will two years of future picks come in this year? Looking ahead and the way we are playing I believe in being positive, sometimes there are times when you can wait for things to happen or you make things happen, we are getting very very close to that time if we are not already there.;)
I'd still be trying to explore avenues to get GC's picks without trading away a FP1..never been keen on trading FP1 unless it's a package that involves bringing in an established top 10 talent not on a future talent...or if Parker misses the finals and a GF with Swans, dangle that carrot.

Next 4 rounds for us is critical IMO, we finish off the season with a uncompetitive 1 from 4, then you might as well start the negotiations for the trade of LDU, Scott and TP24 plus compo on Zurhaar to get as many 1st rounders this year!!
We finish off 3 from 4, pick 3 is others and we become a much brighter destination, undecided players will sign then we should aggressive in this draft to get a few more early 2nd rounders if not another late 1st rounder, dangle a FP2 as added currency.

Tough going for Finn O’Sullivan with no games for the Oakleigh Chargers this weekend or next weekend. Realistically might only have 2 games left to play for the year as it’s unlikely Oakleigh play finals.

Scheduling at Under 18 and VFL level really needs to be addressed.

Could he get a run in the VFL?

Scheduling at Under 18 and VFL level really needs to be addressed.

Could he get a run in the VFL?

Fair bit to factor in when it comes to the Coates League and colts (in other states) with school footy, the championships, and exam schedules playing a big part in the fixture and availability of top tier players. I’m not envious of those that have to organise the fixturing at that level.

VFL however is a complete shemozzle. Not sure how you fix it with interstate and stand alone VFL sides. All the random bye’s are so stupid. A national reserves comp makes the most sense, but that would destroy the VFL.

Considering how underdone O’Sullivan looked in the two games he played at the championships I highly doubt he’d want to risk playing VFL this season.

At pick 3 you could make an argument. I dont think a good one. I loved his jnr year but he hasnt shown anything near that this year. If anything to me he looks like his carrying a different injury

It's pretty much best case scenario for us. I reckon we end up with pick 3 and the fact he'll barely play might work in our favour

It's pretty much best case scenario for us. I reckon we end up with pick 3 and the fact he'll barely play might work in our favour

My position also for most of this year.

I've kind of been hoping he doesn't play too much for selfish reasons, since we have started playing better.

It's pretty much the Wardlaw scenario all over again.

Wardlaw wouldn't have gone at #4 had he played the entire season.

if tigs are getting jagga smith at 1, then it would be a no brainer for us to take smilie at 2
I wouldnt go as far as that. I love Draper for us, FOS would be worth a look. Trainor is a North blue blood.

Smilie is who i would like and prob only one that i would be disappointed to miss. Maybe FOS aswell

I wouldnt go as far as that. I love Draper for us, FOS would be worth a look. Trainor is a North blue blood.

Smilie is who i would like and prob only one that i would be disappointed to miss. Maybe FOS aswell

If we miss out on smilie then i agree we could trade down to get trainor, however...

Remember west coast, 2022 draft, they traded out pick 2 for 9 and 14, missed out sheezal...

But i do think trainor is a best fit player for our team moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't over extend yourself, young fella. Just slip into the warm embrace of North Melbourne at pick 3.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

My position also for most of this year.

I've kind of been hoping he doesn't play too much for selfish reasons, since we have started playing better.

It's pretty much the Wardlaw scenario all over again.

Wardlaw wouldn't have gone at #4 had he played the entire season.
Can you compare fos v George 17th year

If we miss out on smilie then i agree we could trade down to get trainor, however...

Remember west coast, 2022 draft, they traded out pick 2 for 9 and 14, missed out sheezal...

But i do think trainor is a best fit player for our team moving forward.
Did they really miss out on Sheez? I don't think we would have traded pick 1 to move back to pick 3 - WCE wanted a 1st rounder for Rioli, we wanted a 1st rounder for JHF, GWS wanted Cadman and only Cadman, every team got spooked by the JHF go home factor and wanted to pick homegrown so on review, converting pick 1 into 2&3 and still grabbing Sheez is probably the highlight in Brady's drafting history thus far.

Did they really miss out on Sheez? I don't think we would have traded pick 1 to move back to pick 3 - WCE wanted a 1st rounder for Rioli, we wanted a 1st rounder for JHF, GWS wanted Cadman and only Cadman, every team got spooked by the JHF go home factor and wanted to pick homegrown so on review, converting pick 1 into 2&3 and still grabbing Sheez is probably the highlight in Brady's drafting history thus far.

Oh i don't disagree, he could have been a dud for we all like to think but sheezal wardlaw might redeem every other wrong decision that came before hand.

If only we could somehow get cadman to come to vic...

We need to strike some gold in the 2nd rounds with key forwards. We seem to be very bad with key forwards in draft lately

Considering the hype on here for Gerryn and some clearly have got expertise in the area.... what are the knocks on him being so low? If they are talking around 10-15 for Armstrong why is Gerryn 30 spots back.... WA out of sight out of mind?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ha ha ha, New_Roo, that my friend is an easy question to answer, Kayle, to me having watched a lot of him last year and this year has all the tools to be a key forward, for a boy his size who can move the way he does is quite rare, throw in that he can kick both feet, take marks with authority { I feel he will do this more often after a few years in an AFL system, confidence and other things also come into play}, when you watch him play, he has that presence that not many big men have.

Why so low, well a few points on that, one, who's to say he is that low? Two, Who's to say some recruiters don't have him in first round calculations. We must remember that people who do draft projections don't pick the players, recruiters do, they are professional's for a reason while we are amateurs, and that's not to say a lot of people that do draft write ups and where they might go, don't do a good job, just the opposite actually, they watch them over seasons not just a couple of games, they do a marvellous job but its also important to remember that everyone has their own opinion and see's different things.

Lastly, the fact that he is playing ruck and floating down at times to the forward line and at other times playing the odd quarter in that area is sometimes for people hard to assess, where as most of the other key forwards play in one of the key forward posts all game, some ask the question, what is he? A forward? A ruck? Both? To my eye I don't see any knocks on him, maybe if you want to be really critical one might ask that he inserts himself more on a game and takes control but again that will come depending on the team that takes him and where they see him in their team.

Its all about potential, this is what gets recruiters excited, not what they are doing now, what they can become in the future. ;)

Ha ha ha, New_Roo, that my friend is an easy question to answer, Kayle, to me having watched a lot of him last year and this year has all the tools to be a key forward, for a boy his size who can move the way he does is quite rare, throw in that he can kick both feet, take marks with authority { I feel he will do this more often after a few years in an AFL system, confidence and other things also come into play}, when you watch him play, he has that presence that not many big men have.

Why so low, well a few points on that, one, who's to say he is that low? Two, Who's to say some recruiters don't have him in first round calculations. We must remember that people who do draft projections don't pick the players, recruiters do, they are professional's for a reason while we are amateurs, and that's not to say a lot of people that do draft write ups and where they might go, don't do a good job, just the opposite actually, they watch them over seasons not just a couple of games, they do a marvellous job but its also important to remember that everyone has their own opinion and see's different things.

Lastly, the fact that he is playing ruck and floating down at times to the forward line and at other times playing the odd quarter in that area is sometimes for people hard to assess, where as most of the other key forwards play in one of the key forward posts all game, some ask the question, what is he? A forward? A ruck? Both? To my eye I don't see any knocks on him, maybe if you want to be really critical one might ask that he inserts himself more on a game and takes control but again that will come depending on the team that takes him and where they see him in their team.

Its all about potential, this is what gets recruiters excited, not what they are doing now, what they can become in the future. ;)
So would you be happy if we chose him with our 2nd pick Scout or do you think we should choose someone else. Who would be your 2nde pick for us regardless of needs.

Can somebody explain why O’Sullivan is rated so highly? I know he’s been injured but even in his highlights, I don’t see anything that stands out. Based on the limited evidence I’ve seen on You Tube, the top end of this draft looks vanilla compared to Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Watson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Haven't gone deep into draft nerd video watching yet but thought the same. Prob need to watch his pre injury games.

Despite the overconpensation against him I can see why are some taken with Smillie. And Jagga, crikey a generation of footy writers just had their "Moves like Jagga" headlines written for them. Insane movement style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back