Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

for the love of god would the next person who feels the need to write "have to trade down" please actually present a trade or just don't bother

here's a clue, if it looks like a good trade for us, then the other club isn't gunna do it.
In fairness, I'm not sure how you can propose an actual trade without knowing which picks teams are holding. Richmond, for example, could have a stack of firsts, but who knows which ones. At the moment it looks like them, possibly Freo, or GC if they want to get ahead of a Lombard bid, and possibly Adelaide if they want to move up for Draper.

Reasonable trade back targets and reasons that its possible... reasons why not as well

Option 1:
North give 2
Adelaide give pick 4 and 2nd round tied to Saints
Happens because Adelaide rates Draper highly, fits well and Eagles will take Draper if on board. We do it because we want a second pick in 2nd round and May not take him
Wont because steep price (Has happened alot befor, Last year look at bombers for Caddy) or rates draper similar to talent available at 4 - We dont because we want Draper or FOS i would assume

Option 2:

North give 2
Tigers give 9- 10 from Freo for Shai.
Happens if Tigers get picks for Shai, Rioli and Baker and they love both 2 of Smith, Fos and Langford and want them more then anything later. Do a North with Sheez and Wardlaw. We do it thinking consistent across board and want players in that Range... Slight chance of Armstrong, Berry and Hotton may be avaialable.
Wont happen if Tigers Want a big range of players and not as concerned with top end. They dont have that many 1st rounders at the end of trade week. We dont because we want our first choice more then a couple of ooooour later choices

Option 3
North give pick 2 and 22
Gold Coast gives 5 and Dogs first rounder.. less likely because going deep could not offer 22 by end of year
Happens because GC want to get above Lombard Pick and picks for them are a dime a dozen given how many players are academys... More next year aswell.
wont because they traded 5 for Rioli.... ha ha

Today showed if we're going down the midfielder route with Pick 2 - let's pick a bigger body.

We got monstered today around the stoppages and LDU got mauled.

No sub 183cm players for me.
It’s the opposition run that kills us, has been for years way back to the good old days of playing Ziebell as a mid. A mid like FOS or Draper is so much more important than a big body mid, particularly given Smillie, the one big bodied mid in the draft doesn’t really use his size to advantage.

Last edited:
Reasonable trade back targets and reasons that its possible... reasons why not as well

Option 1:
North give 2
Adelaide give pick 4 and 2nd round tied to Saints
Happens because Adelaide rates Draper highly, fits well and Eagles will take Draper if on board. We do it because we want a second pick in 2nd round and May not take him
Wont because steep price (Has happened alot befor, Last year look at bombers for Caddy) or rates draper similar to talent available at 4 - We dont because we want Draper or FOS i would assume

Option 2:

North give 2
Tigers give 9- 10 from Freo for Shai.
Happens if Tigers get picks for Shai, Rioli and Baker and they love both 2 of Smith, Fos and Langford and want them more then anything later. Do a North with Sheez and Wardlaw. We do it thinking consistent across board and want players in that Range... Slight chance of Armstrong, Berry and Hotton may be avaialable.
Wont happen if Tigers Want a big range of players and not as concerned with top end. They dont have that many 1st rounders at the end of trade week. We dont because we want our first choice more then a couple of ooooour later choices

Option 3
North give pick 2 and 22
Gold Coast gives 5 and Dogs first rounder.. less likely because going deep could not offer 22 by end of year
Happens because GC want to get above Lombard Pick and picks for them are a dime a dozen given how many players are academys... More next year aswell.
wont because they traded 5 for Rioli.... ha ha
Option 2 is a terrible deal for us.

Today showed if we're going down the midfielder route with Pick 2 - let's pick a bigger body.

We got monstered today around the stoppages and LDU got mauled.

No sub 183cm players for me.
Mate, Lachie Neale is 178cm and he's about to almost win his 3rd Brownlow medal. And Gary Ablett jr was literally 4cm taller than Neale and is one of the greatest.

Don't give us this 183cm heightist bullshit.

If we walked away from draft with 2 of Armstrong, Hotton or Berry from first round I would be very happy.
Top end mids all have big question marks for me… though Draper less so for me now.
Armstrong won’t be there at 9, Berry maybe and I’m not sure we can take a punt on another draftee coming back from an ACL.

Armstrong won’t be there at 9, Berry maybe and I’m not sure we can take a punt on another draftee coming back from an ACL.
Shanahan kicked 5 in VFL, Jitlock kicked 5 in Coates. There is a lot of talent around there still. Even draft for my mind and will get very good prospects there. Trainor as a side note had a big outing aswell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A solid performance in his VFL debut from Harvey Langford, showcasing his wares to the Richmond recruiters who hold pick 1 in the November national draft. He played the same role that Finn O'Sullivan played last week, starting the first quarter on ball before playing out the final three quarters on a forward flank. Its a role that can suit his game, but he had to make the most of the limited opportunities that came his way. He flew for his marks, being unfortunately robbed of a lovely grab on the far wing, and he showed a nice step and change of direction on a couple of occasions. The one area where he let himself down a little was his kicking, which he rushed and got a bit wayward on a couple of occasions.

A solid performance in his VFL debut from Harvey Langford, showcasing his wares to the Richmond recruiters who hold pick 1 in the November national draft. He played the same role that Finn O'Sullivan played last week, starting the first quarter on ball before playing out the final three quarters on a forward flank. Its a role that can suit his game, but he had to make the most of the limited opportunities that came his way. He flew for his marks, being unfortunately robbed of a lovely grab on the far wing, and he showed a nice step and change of direction on a couple of occasions. The one area where he let himself down a little was his kicking, which he rushed and got a bit wayward on a couple of occasions.

If his kicking is questionable then I don’t want us anywhere near him,

If his kicking is questionable then I don’t want us anywhere near him,
No offence, but did you read what I actually wrote? He was playing in his debut VFL game, and he appeared to rush a couple of his kicks, which is understandable. I imagine he was full of adrenaline and probably overly concerned about not getting caught out by the quicker pace of the game at a new level.

I think his kicking is a strength. He has a range of kicks, can hit targets at all distances, punches through his kicks to get distance without getting under and loopy. He can be a bit lazy with his ball drop at times, which he'll need to work on, but overall his kicking is above average.

No offence, but did you read what I actually wrote? He was playing in his debut VFL game, and he appeared to rush a couple of his kicks, which is understandable. I imagine he was full of adrenaline and probably overly concerned about not getting caught out by the quicker pace of the game at a new level.

I think his kicking is a strength. He has a range of kicks, can hit targets at all distances, punches through his kicks to get distance without getting under and loopy. He can be a bit lazy with his ball drop at times, which he'll need to work on, but overall his kicking is above average.

If he’s elite by foot then I’m happy to have him, if not we should be looking elsewhere.

Exactly, If I'm thinking this young man is going to be "special", then I wonder if any of the recruiters will to. Right now, Cal has him at 8, I've looked countless times at the draft picks of other clubs and yes some clubs do need a key forward but in nearly all cases they require a good-elite mid first and foremost, four clubs stand out BUT will they take the chance, the clubs are in my opinion: Us, my goodness to have this young man at our club would be nothing short of amazing, Richmond next cab off the rank, but they badly need an elite mid, questions, questions, Geelong next but I really don't know if Jye Clarke is the answer.

Tanner is good so they need an elite mid as well, lastly we come to Collingwood, they would be the team that I think would secretly be eyeing off Harry as he's just the guy to help them out, and they got Ed Allan not to long ago from W.A in the draft to help them out in the middle but again their first pick is around 30 so its going to be so interesting who pulls the plug on Harry in the first round. If we say, get someone like Jack Viney or Jack Macrae to help and teach our young mids then we just have to get Harry, he has all the tools , so much to improve on its crazy, and I can even see him being our full forward, moving Nick out to CHF, in time, not straight away, moving an all australian forward out to give a youngster the key role, you bet your bottom dollar I would and by the way I love Nick Larkey, it would actually benefit him even more in the wider open spaces!
Demons pick 7 and Bombres pick 8 might be chances for Harry to be taken inside 10 but they also need elite mids so what they do on draft night will be interesting.

As long as our due-diligence isn’t a 30 minute zoom call but a thorough, sober sit down with Viney, Clarkson and the team psychologist, I think we can discern if he will be a champion or a turncloak.
If mum brings him milk and cookies during the interview it's a no.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Our delivery inside 50 is deplorable. Too often we just bomb it to an out number or over our guys heads.
I dont think it's just our mids fault. Watch our forwards, they make half effort leads then all stand around calling for the long bomb instead. On the flip side, the bulldogs forwards all worked for each other, blocking and making multiple leads. And they can do that because they've got three big bodied players who can take a contested mark. We've got one - larky - who's not even known for his contested marking. We've tried patching this up with state level players - Teaks, Pink, CJ, Sellers - and even put our most promising young KP back in the forward line to shore us up.

We need a quality KP forward desperately.

I dont think it's just our mids fault. Watch our forwards, they make half effort leads then all stand around calling for the long bomb instead. On the flip side, the bulldogs forwards all worked for each other, blocking and making multiple leads. And they can do that because they've got three big bodied players who can take a contested mark. We've got one - larky - who's not even known for his contested marking. We've tried patching this up with state level players - Teaks, Pink, CJ, Sellers - and even put our most promising young KP back in the forward line to shore us up.

We need a quality KP forward desperately.
Is it the haphazard way it comes in or the dysfunctional forward line? They'd both be pointing the finger at each other...

We need 2 key forwards. One to help now, and an 18yo to help when he's ready. Could the "now" option be Comben and/or Maley?

Another key defender wouldn't go astray and a couple of hard, fast, and skilfull mids.

Oh and a couple of zippy small forwards.

Not much to ask with picks 2, 22 and God knows what....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back