Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only problem in my case is that I don't see how we go about getting both Trainor and Faull at this stage :think:

This year's draft feels like it's shaping up to be pretty even at the top to me.
You’d split 1 for something like 4 and 10

That would get you Trainor and 1 of Shanahan/Faull

Crows will trade their first pick to avoid welsh bid but would need to find another high pick

Overall in the too hard basket and still rather Smillie

We'll get suckered into picking the #1 kid while the likes of Jagga Smith kicks 5 on us every game for 10 years.
Feels like Caddy vs Dursma all over again

Only problem in my case is that I don't see how we go about getting both Trainor and Faull at this stage :think:

This year's draft feels like it's shaping up to be pretty even at the top to me.
If we held onto our assistance package picks. Could’ve bundled them up for either Brissy or GC first pick.

Really excited by the prospect of getting a few talls in this draft. I can’t remember the last draft where there was 8-10 genuine talls that all have the potential to be taken before pick 40. Hopefully we at least get a couple of them. At this stage this is how I have them ranked:

1. Luke Trainor (KPD/3rd tall)
2. Harry O’Farrell (KPD)
3. Jonty Faull (KPF)
4. Matt Whitlock (KPD/KPF)
5. Jobe Shanahan (KPF)
6. Noah Mraz (KPD)
7. Jack Whitlock (KPF)
8. Kayle Gerryn (KPF/Ruck)
9. Noah Howes (KPF)
10. Zaydyn Lockwood (KPD)

In addition to that 10 you also have:
Harry Armstrong (KPF)
Zac McInnes (KPF)
Charlie West (KPF)
Gabriel Stumpf (KPF)
Tom Sims (KPF)
Tallan Rosenweig (KPF)
James Barrat (KPF)
Lucas Tovey (KPD)
Remy McLean (KPF)
I look forward to North selecting 3 mids inside the top 40 then!

Another huge game from the Lone Ranger Jagga Smith as he racked up 40 disposals to make it 90 in the last two games. We might be entering record setting territory here. At the very least Jagga is in the hottest of hot form entering his first 2024 Champs game for Vic Metro this coming weekend. He couldn't have done any more to inspire his Chargers team and drive them forward, but they still came up short and lost yet another game in a disappointing Talent League campaign.

This guy is just a smooth mover. I would not be disappointed if we picked him with 1 (I’ve watched a total of 2 minutes 27 seconds of footage btw).

Anyone got any insight into his defensive side? If we are picking a mid with 1/2, then they need to be hungry and accountable.

I like Kayle myself. The parents could have just spelled it Cale like parents have been doing for centuries, but modern parents have to be different.
yeah whatever happened to having 3 Matthews or Daniels in a class, then you'd have a Matt, Matty, Matthew, or just a Matty P, Dan T, etc......my kid played in a team that had a Caylan, Kayden, Kylan, and Kynon. FFS!

This guy is just a smooth mover. I would not be disappointed if we picked him with 1 (I’ve watched a total of 2 minutes 27 seconds of footage btw).

Anyone got any insight into his defensive side? If we are picking a mid with 1/2, then they need to be hungry and accountable.
I wrote this on the Tigers board:

Size is an obvious one. He's 181cm which isnt tiny but he has a thin frame that probably wont put on a lot of muscle. This isnt always a killer... he could end up being the next Zak Butters given his elite movement.

The two other criticisms are defensive actions and disposal. I mentioned the disposal above... I dont think its a huge deal but worth keeping an eye on. He might struggle with a tag at the next level if he can't maintain disposal accuracy under pressure.

Defensively, a couple of issues. I dont think its a problem with running hard defensively as he runs hard all the time. He's always there to create a +1, and does this just as often in the D50 as anywhere else on the ground. Its more that his tackle counts are often quite low considering how active he is in general. He tends to "arm tackle" a lot, which gets broken easily given his lack of bulk/muscle. You look at Butters and he drives into tackles with his shoulder/chest. I think that should be the model for Jagga to follow. But in general he needs to use his big footy brain to anticipate when the opposition is about to break free with the ball and get there to apply pressure more often. I'm pretty confident he can correct this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duursma isnt a key position player from what Ive seen. Looks like a tallish winger - would need to put on a lot of size to be a key position player. Also doubt he goes number 1 going on his recent form.
He played as a key defender at the U16 champs, and as a third tall defender in the Talent League games last year. Things can change a lot for the really talented kids at this age.

If he doesnt grow from 191cm then that probably rules out key defense.

Does this make number 1 a lot more difficult than first thought, noob?

I watched this video of Smith. It's only one video and I see a lot of nice things, but not enough hurt factor with his kicking or handball. A lot of kick-and-hope type efforts where the end result is a 50-50 or a turnover. Not too many creative play making efforts in his kicking. I'm not sold that we should go with this guy at #1. Still Smillie for mine.

I watched this video of Smith. It's only one video and I see a lot of nice things, but not enough hurt factor with his kicking or handball. A lot of kick-and-hope type efforts where the end result is a 50-50 or a turnover. Not too many creative play making efforts in his kicking. I'm not sold that we should go with this guy at #1. Still Smillie for mine.
Thanks for this response. I just saw 50 disposals and shit my pants. The context really helps reassuring the fact that I have no place in entering draft discussions come the end of the year 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

If we end up with pick 1 don't discount the Sun's coming hard for it. They have 2 first rounders and more. They would love to trade up instead of down which guarantees them several guns with all the academy players they have.

Brisbane could also make a play if they stay in the bottom 8 and have a player or two that are squeezed out because of salary cap issues.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

We won't finish last...plenty of good players will put there hand up..we will get a gun player regardless....jagga smith had 50 last week in a poor side...trying to do it all great captain leader.never gives.up Finn O'Sullivan will be in the mix Draper Lalor lambardo whittaker.we will be fine..

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back