Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A significant number of kids won’t participate if they don’t have the carrot of staying home, something pretty much every other sport can offer them.
Oh well, they can **** off and play rugby then. I don't really care if the next Heeney is lost to the sport, if there's only one team who can select him.

Seen him live a few times this season, and have been pretty underwhelmed, especially if he’s considered the best talent in this pool. Even when he’s filled the stat sheet, hasn’t really made me all that excited to be picking at 1 (maybe not now).

For me this is a crop where I’d like 2-3 picks in the first round and at this stage I’d support splitting it.
Never been one for splitting pick 1 I would be still very hesitate to do so but if there was a time and draft to do it maybe this is the one. There would be plenty of better posters in the know about how the young blokes are going than me. Would be interested to hear their thoughts on the subject.

Never been one for splitting pick 1 I would be still very hesitate to do so but if there was a time and draft to do it maybe this is the one. There would be plenty of better posters in the know about how the young blokes are going than me. Would be interested to hear their thoughts on the subject.
Last time we did, it got us Sheezel and Wardlaw. Not bad huh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travaglia is a Jordan Ridley clone. Kids hands and positioning is stupidly good across half back.

I've only really been watching River. There is some great qualities, but some interesting deficiencies.

Pro:
Great Skill, hasn't missed by hand or by foot (outside of one rushed kick inside 50)
Runs all day, really covers the ground. End to end player
Confident in front of goal

Con:
Size. I knew he was short and light of frame. But he is by far the smallest on the ground. This means he has been pushed off the footy pretty easily.
Isn't a contested ball winner. At least today he hadn't shown it. Seemed to always be around, but didn't want to go in too often and get it.

Curiosities:
I'm curious to know what his top speed is. Didn't seem to me that he really ran a full tilt.

I will say, the if you are a north recruiter, you take him in the draft. Particularly as a project small. I don't think we saw his best today, which makes sense given he hasn't played any Talent League games this year.

When you are only watching one player, it's wild to note that Travaglia is a genuine freak defender. One to watch in the draft.

I've only really been watching River. There is some great qualities, but some interesting deficiencies.

Pro:
Great Skill, hasn't missed by hand or by foot (outside of one rushed kick inside 50)
Runs all day, really covers the ground. End to end player
Confident in front of goal

Con:
Size. I knew he was short and light of frame. But he is by far the smallest on the ground. This means he has been pushed off the footy pretty easily.
Isn't a contested ball winner. At least today he hadn't shown it. Seemed to always be around, but didn't want to go in too often and get it.

Curiosities:
I'm curious to know what his top speed is. Didn't seem to me that he really ran a full tilt.

I will say, the if you are a north recruiter, you take him in the draft. Particularly as a project small. I don't think we saw his best today, which makes sense given he hasn't played any Talent League games this year.

When you are only watching one player, it's wild to note that Travaglia is a genuine freak defender. One to watch in the draft.
We could pick him up as a F/S but it wont be with one of early picks...Maybe with pick #39 or preferably #57 or #73

SA tall forward Charlie Nichols should be on our radar, very very sticky hands, has clunked a couple of a really nice contested marks today.
His set shot is awful, but agree he made good positioning today.

That one that he dropped through his hands in the forward50 was very north like

Coasting is his biggest problem. There isn’t that much intensity about him, especially defensively.

Smith is quickly catching him and I’m tipping O’Sullivan will do the same once he gets back on the park.

His lack of intensity does stand out. He won’t get away with that at AFL level, though that can be taught to some players imo. He looks like he’s used to being the big kid so hasn’t needed to play with intensity, if I were to summarise the way he plays it’s, laconic & arrogant, which is fine but he needs to replace the laconic with tenacious , and he’ll be a top liner.

Travaglia is a Jordan Ridley clone. Kids hands and positioning is stupidly good across half back.
I like him another to consider at our second round pick

Can he be someone that also takes the third tall forward if a team has one?

Logue and comben with travaglia would be athletic and intercept at will

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back