Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkos declared he'd rather a key forward than key Back as a priority in this year's draft.

I think Armstrong or Whitlock are the obvious choices if we get pick 3.

I still think FOS and Draper are the standout mids at pick 1 and 2.

The dilemma for us will be should either of these two be available at 3 (assuming we have picks 3) do we take them or go for the KPF.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Clarkos declared he'd rather a key forward than key Back as a priority in this year's draft.

The dilemma for us will be should either of these two be available at 3 (assuming we have picks 3) do we take them or go for the KPF.

but whitlock is predicted to go at 11, so it means we will need to trade down.

Chom definitely staying back if that’s the case

195cm key forward Harry Armstrong may have arrived at the Champs late, but in his three games he's sure made an impression. He launches at contested marks, finds space and separation on the lead, and possesses an accurate cannon of a left foot making him a threat anywhere within 60 meters of goal. His five goals here were a single game high for the Champs series and a critical factor in Metro's win.

Looking good

We'd trade down for sure if we wanted one of the Whitlocks or Armstrong but you've got to have a trade partner.
Freo/GC/Lions look the most likely but they'd want future 1sts as well as some points for their bids.

I think we'll be able to get a key forward at the 2nd rounder but it'll be interesting to see if we slide down or put one of our future picks on the table. I'm sure a lot of teams would be thinking the same thing.

Who cares what the prediction is...if the club chooses a Whitlock or whoever KPF then they our first pick?

Still think Trainor shapes as our first pick if Clarko is to be believed..195cm KPD and can play KPF kinda hedges your bets, if Chom falters down back, you could switch Trainor and Chom.

Clarko also declared that Chom was a possibility to move forward at some point in the future, but may have changed his tune...

Scenarios -

- Do we draft the best defender in the draft and move Chom forward?

- Do we draft the best mid and pick up whatever kpf that drops to our next pick?

- Do we trade down (GC 8/9) and draft our highest rated kpf and small fwd/mid?

- Do we draft BPA and contract a stopgap forward/swingman ie. Tom McDonald

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Throw a blanket over 20 of em I reckon, should move heaven and earth to have 3 cracks at the top 30. Top end drafting has become a more accurate science in the last few years but this year is so even the best player could lie anywhere in the 30.

Beat West coast and Richmond and end up 3rd last. I'd take trainor then keep developing will Dawson as a forward. If options present at our 2nd pick take a tall forward then aswell. Then rest of the draft focus on a small forward and whatever other gems

That is correct. The big question that will be asked and debated a thousand times between now and the draft, do we split our pick 1/2/3 or do we take the best talent? Will alluded to probably taking the best talent but wasn't definite in last years draft, he was asked about next years draft {2024} and said when quizzed about drafting for needs or talent that that's what we did this year {2023} a bit of both, and that he didn't want to give all his cards away.

Will also said that there were a couple of midfielders that Brady said were very very good and that he was impressed with them. Add that bit to this years draft, Alastair want's a key forward, it does raise a lot of questions. But before I go onto that Will also spoke about getting more TOP end talent into this team, be it mid or whatever so now since at the moment we have picks 2/22/40/58/72 that this would mean trading in a future 2nd rounder or splitting our first pick but it all comes down to what our final pick is and what way we go and where the key forwards sit on Will's whiteboard.

Question 1/ Do we go best available on Will's whiteboard at our first pick and get the 3rd/4th best key forward at our 2nd round pick?
Question 2/ Do we split our first round pick for say Gold Coast picks 8/9 or even Fremantle's picks 10/13/16{could have changed} and get more first round talent if possible? This way we could get Berry/Kako and say the best key forward in the draft, its a tantalising prospect, if we get Gold Coasts picks.
Question 3/ Do we trade in a future 2nd rounder to give us that much needed early second round pick not long after ours?
Question 4/ How many picks do we take to the draft? This I think will be decided on how many we delist, if we pick up any players in trade week and after both those scenarios we -2 with whatever number we are left with. An example, say we delist seven players, that's 7 picks at the draft, we pick up one in trade/ free agency week, that leaves us with 6 draft picks, -2 players that we picked up in the mid-season draft for injured players, we now have 4 selections come draft time.

That is correct. The big question that will be asked and debated a thousand times between now and the draft, do we split our pick 1/2/3 or do we take the best talent? Will alluded to probably taking the best talent but wasn't definite in last years draft, he was asked about next years draft {2024} and said when quizzed about drafting for needs or talent that that's what we did this year {2023} a bit of both, and that he didn't want to give all his cards away.

Will also said that there were a couple of midfielders that Brady said were very very good and that he was impressed with them. Add that bit to this years draft, Alastair want's a key forward, it does raise a lot of questions. But before I go onto that Will also spoke about getting more TOP end talent into this team, be it mid or whatever so now since at the moment we have picks 2/22/40/58/72 that this would mean trading in a future 2nd rounder or splitting our first pick but it all comes down to what our final pick is and what way we go and where the key forwards sit on Will's whiteboard.

Question 1/ Do we go best available on Will's whiteboard at our first pick and get the 3rd/4th best key forward at our 2nd round pick?
Question 2/ Do we split our first round pick for say Gold Coast picks 8/9 or even Fremantle's picks 10/13/16{could have changed} and get more first round talent if possible? This way we could get Berry/Kako and say the best key forward in the draft, its a tantalising prospect, if we get Gold Coasts picks.
Question 3/ Do we trade in a future 2nd rounder to give us that much needed early second round pick not long after ours?
Question 4/ How many picks do we take to the draft? This I think will be decided on how many we delist, if we pick up any players in trade week and after both those scenarios we -2 with whatever number we are left with. An example, say we delist seven players, that's 7 picks at the draft, we pick up one in trade/ free agency week, that leaves us with 6 draft picks, -2 players that we picked up in the mid-season draft for injured players, we now have 4 selections come draft time.
I think splitting also depends on what GC and Freo want. Do they need to move up? Do they want futures?
GC has said they could either get ahead of the Lombard bid or acquire future picks (1sts) and points this year.
Freo's picks 7 (Pies), 10 (Port) and 14 (depends on finals exit) are enticing but they might be happy sitting there and taking those three 1st round kids with limited trade targets out there. We'd probably do that if it was us.

WCE might be thinking the same thing as us but if they have a Baker trade to satisfy then they might have to split the pick in trade week unless he's only going to be their 2nd rounder in value.

I'm hoping Battle stays at Saints as that could throw a real spanner in the works if they have band 1 compo.
It might make the slide back to still get Trainor and another pick a bit more riskier if they hold two top 5 picks.
If its pick 2 for 4 and another asset then I'd be pretty confident Saints would take a mid at pick 2.

Who cares what the prediction is...if the club chooses a Whitlock or whoever KPF then they our first pick?

Still think Trainor shapes as our first pick if Clarko is to be believed..195cm KPD and can play KPF kinda hedges your bets, if Chom falters down back, you could switch Trainor and Chom.

Yes I'm more with Trainor then our defence is set for talls anyway irrelevant of Chom. Strong four competing for 3 spots, with Logue WDawson Chom Trainor, Corr and KDawson depth while WDaw and Trainor dev and biggie and pink out.

Then try to trade for a ready made kpf somehow and take a younger kpf whoever left as 2nd pick.... might need to bring in some capital from next yr

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think splitting also depends on what GC and Freo want. Do they need to move up? Do they want futures?
GC has said they could either get ahead of the Lombard bid or acquire future picks (1sts) and points this year.
Freo's picks 7 (Pies), 10 (Port) and 14 (depends on finals exit) are enticing but they might be happy sitting there and taking those three 1st round kids with limited trade targets out there. We'd probably do that if it was us.

WCE might be thinking the same thing as us but if they have a Baker trade to satisfy then they might have to split the pick in trade week unless he's only going to be their 2nd rounder in value.

I'm hoping Battle stays at Saints as that could throw a real spanner in the works if they have band 1 compo.
It might make the slide back to still get Trainor and another pick a bit more riskier if they hold two top 5 picks.
If its pick 2 for 4 and another asset then I'd be pretty confident Saints would take a mid at pick 2.

All this will depend on what we can shake out in terms of kpf or other trade. Would have thought both kpf and a small are the targets. Small won't be much capital but kpf could be.

Then we draft with what's left, maybe all or we bring in from 2025 if need be

All this will depend on what we can shake out in terms of kpf or other trade. Would have thought both kpf and a small are the targets. Small won't be much capital but kpf could be.

Our first is very high for all the available KPF options tho.

Even out of those who are OOC or FA in 2025, only Thilthorpe, Sam Darcy and Oscar Allen are conceivably worth a top 3 pick. (All rather unlikely to be pried out of their current clubs too)

It’s not until 2026 that the Kings, Jed Walter, JUH, Cadman and Gruz are either OOC or FAs.

Which of those can you imagine a club releasing early?

Where does Jobe Shanahan sit on your mock drafts??

In terms of a mock draft, I think Armstrong may have passed him, Whitlock bros probably get drafted higher based on scope for development (athleticism/movement/body composition) and due to other risers probably 15-25. Tried to do a mock the other night and found guys like Shanahan who I genuinely rate falling a bit down the order. I think Essendon at 13 is his peak, Freo, Geelong, Sydney & Richmond probably all look at him between our pick and Essendon. Would love to grab him at 22.

For reference, I think he would have gone much higher last year and the year before that. Matt Jefferson was Pick 15 in 2022, Shanahan would sit around 10-15 in that draft, Croft was taken at 15 last year, and he’s probably slightly better than him as a prospect IMO.

Has had a really good month or so.

Our first is very high for all the available KPF options tho.

Even out of those who are OOC or FA in 2025, only Thilthorpe, Sam Darcy and Oscar Allen are conceivably worth a top 3 pick. (All rather unlikely to be pried out of their current clubs too)

It’s not until 2026 that the Kings, Jed Walter, JUH, Cadman and Gruz are either OOC or FAs.

Which of those can you imagine a club releasing early?

Yes I agree, some might need to get something back. JLuc as part of the GC ahead of Lombard bid, Treacy swap for one of Freos other firsts... it's going to be tough

Can Trainor play forward?
Yes he can, played there as a junior, your next question is probably, was he any good? He was okay nothing out of the ordinary, but like a lot of players could improve once he gets say 75 to 100 games in, his role as an intercepting backman is where he's really come on though.

Beat West coast and Richmond and end up 3rd last. I'd take trainor then keep developing will Dawson as a forward. If options present at our 2nd pick take a tall forward then aswell. Then rest of the draft focus on a small forward and whatever other gems

I really hope not.

Playing Goad as a KPD and Dawson as a KPF seems ridiculous to me.

We all have our, how shall I say, certain players that we like and to a degree would suit our list, if Luke is our number one guy, then do it, but listening to Will at last years draft about this years crop I'm about 99% sure that we will get the best player at our pick and I'm not quite sure Luke is a pick 2/3, or we will trade down a little and see if we can get two picks in that top 10/12 and get what we really need, a key forward {if we did this, we could get the best key forward in the draft} and nab the best small forward in the draft Isaac Kako or Joe Berry, that would be quite insane let me tell you.

We got Will as our future key defender and our stocks really aren't that bad, our former list bosses and people involved with our recruiting got us into this mess a little bit, now is the time to prioritise what we need and fix it up before Tassie come into the comp and get as much TOP END TALENT as we can and "kill" two birds with one stone, as to speak.

Nice reasoning chubbs, the Saints number one target will be a mid just like the Crows, they both need an elite midfielder in this years draft! Going to be a very interesting end of year with spots/trade period/ draft, we have a limited supply of good picks this year so I'm pretty sure Will and Brady will have an idea already what to do, but circumstances might dictate what we end up doing.

Nice reasoning chubbs, the Saints number one target will be a mid just like the Crows, they both need an elite midfielder in this years draft! Going to be a very interesting end of year with spots/trade period/ draft, we have a limited supply of good picks this year so I'm pretty sure Will and Brady will have an idea already what to do, but circumstances might dictate what we end up doing.
Adelaide would move to get Draper you would think (if he goes higher than their pick, as it were)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back