Delisting mega thread 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

With Greenwood I would like to see him appointed VFL captain with a role with our Academy.
As for Shiels hopefully stays in VFL and is involved with recruitment.
In the past we have lost many players thru either AFL retirement or delisting that for some reason didn’t stay at a VFL level.
Shiels will be an assistant coach as soon as he retires. Almost certainly why he came in the first place and probably expected to already be doing it now.

Shiels will be an assistant coach as soon as he retires. Almost certainly why he came in the first place and probably expected to already be doing it now.

I agree it feels like this is a likelihood, but will be interesting to see how we make it happen. We're at capacity in terms of our AFL coaches, so who do you reckon he pushes out?
  • Won't be Patch (midfield).
  • Unlikely to be Jed Adcock (backline).
  • Obviously he isn't a ruck coach so won't be Monkhorst.
  • Can't see him being a forward line coach so won't be Xavier Clarke.
  • Michael Barlow's #2 in the development coach team (Adam Marcon) was only appointed late 2023 so unlikely to be him.
  • Won't be Emma Kearney as she's NMFC royalty and earmarked for big things.
Maybe Shiels works with Tom Lynch as an Assistant Coach with our VFL team?

I agree it feels like this is a likelihood, but will be interesting to see how we make it happen. We're at capacity in terms of our AFL coaches, so who do you reckon he pushes out?
  • Michael Barlow's #2 in the development coach team (Adam Marcon) was only appointed late 2023 so unlikely to be him.
Coaching structure is flexible isn't it? Plenty of clubs don't just have one coach for each line. They just have to pay him and he can fit into whatever role.

Coaching structure is flexible isn't it? Plenty of clubs don't just have one coach for each line. They just have to pay him and he can fit into whatever role.

Structure is flexible but the soft-cap isn't. I am led to believe we're right up against ours.

Shiels has stated his desire to work in List Management, that's why he came to the club, the promise of future work in that area. He worked with the List Management team leading up to the draft last season and is doing so again this season.

Last edited:
He's not going into coaching.

"A self-confessed footy fanatic, Shiels will combine his love for recruiting and list management with a leadership role guiding the young Kangaroos group.

I want to get into recruiting and list management and there was an opportunity to do that here at North Melbourne, and as the talks progressed, there was an opportunity to play a bit of footy and help educate these young players coming through."

We have a loooooong list after ruckman coming from other clubs;
. Keenan
. Dempsey
. Mossop
. John
. Ischenko
. Porter
. Burton
. Campbell
. and someone will probably find a couple more that l've missed.

Probably the most ( key position ) traded players over the last 40 years.
Berry, Lewis, Gallagher

I don't think we need to cut too hard, this would open up 7 list spots.

New Contract
Bailey Scott – 3 years
Will Phillips – 2 years
Robert Hansen Jnr – 1 year (rookie)
Finnbar Maley – 1 year (rookie)
Cooper Harvey* – 1 year (rookie)

Retire
Hugh Greenwood
Liam Shiels

Delist
Hamish Free
Curtis Taylor
Tyler Sellers
Blake Drury*
Charlie Lazzaro

TBC
Cam Zurhaar

*Could possibly swap these two.
I cant see Cooper getting a go to be honest. Hate to say it..

One of the really nice things about the obvious improvements in Team performance is how many of our young players are stepping up. Really gives me hope that after more than a decade we have the right development people in place.
It also gives me great confidence that if we decide to retain or part ways with a player it will be the right decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Greenwood I would like to see him appointed VFL captain with a role with our Academy.
As for Shiels hopefully stays in VFL and is involved with recruitment.
In the past we have lost many players thru either AFL retirement or delisting that for some reason didn’t stay at a VFL level.
How long did hrovot and tom dyson stick around on the vfl list for?

True, but we currently have 46 on the list because we took two at the MSD to cover long term injuries.
Yep I know. 37 main and 9 rookies (7 plus 2 MSD). K Dawson upgrade gives us 38 main and 8 rookies.
At least 4-6 off the primary and 3-5 off the rookie list will be the balancing act.
Do LTI's not count as part of the primary list?

Yes. Though we could possibly push CCJ back to the rookie list if we needed to.

Apparently we don't have to upgrade Kal for another year.
This is an idea. If we delist CCJ with the intention of rookie listing him, another club could "Hugh Greenwood" him like what happened to Gold Coast. They could even exact revenge and do it themselves. Gee, that would make my blood boil if they pulled that stunt!

Yes. Though we could possibly push CCJ back to the rookie list if we needed to.

Apparently we don't have to upgrade Kal for another year.
I guess technically it would be his 3rd year of contract as a rookie so you could well be right.
That means Teakle/Payne/Maley/Dawson stay on the rookie and decision of keeping one more and/or River Stevens.

We have a loooooong list of ruckman coming from other clubs;
. Keenan
. Dempsey
. Mossop
. John
. Ischenko
. Porter
. Burton
. Campbell
. and someone will probably find a couple more that l've missed.

Probably the most ( key position ) traded players over the last 40 years.
not to mention our own in Capuano, Hale, H, Goldy, and Campbell getting opportunities at other clubs. There is always a ruck merry go round,,,,hell just just look at Grundy's moves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisting mega thread 2024!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back