Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge game from Hamish here as he racks up an impressive 40 disposals to help his Claremont team get a hard fought victory against Swan Districts. Lets hope we get to see him challenge himself at senior WAFL level in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, almost the entire 3rd quarter of the broadcast was lost due to technical difficulties, so we missed out on 20 mins of the commentator mixing up Davis and Angove, a true tragedy.

I have been the most anti F1 person on these boards the last few years and tried to talk down all the suggestions around Dan Curtin and Josh Gibcus etc when they arose.

But I believe now is the time, I can see the movement about to occur over the next 18 months, particularly if we can be absolutely certain of landing a combo of list needs/best available, if we could secure a package of Berry + Armstrong as an example, I'd be doing it.

It's also why I'd only do it for 2 picks and not 1.

Im not trading a F1 for Pick 6 or 7 as an example to go after Trainor or someone or just 1 of Berry or Armstrong or Travaglia.

It has to be 2 picks in the 7-14 range.

Our current Pick, Band 1 for Zurhaar and a F1 trade almost guarantee's that above list, you may even get 1 more top 25 prospect like Sims ontop of it if you split the Band 1 compensation pick.

It all hinges on the Zurhaar compo, as harsh as it is, I'd be doing absolutely everything necessary within the trading rules to ensure Zurhaar got it.

I'd go as far as saying it could almost land us a flag in the next 5 years if we can make it happen.

Couldn’t agree more. He’s been half out the door all year anyway, and I see him as borderline best 22 by the time we are contending, so if band 1 is on offer then it’s a no brainer

It's not that big a shock. They have an ageing list, have a lot of average players in that team, rely a lot on 5-6 players in particular Daicos and won what 5-10 games by less than a goal. There is a reason why they were down in a majority of their games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That and the comp is super tight for the top 12 teams. Apart from the Swans until recently almost all of those top 12 teams have had wild form swings.

I don't think we should split our pick.

Im of the opinion we should be shopping our F1 for 2 mid Rnd 1 picks, like the GC or Freo picks.

I doubt we get that offered for a F1 with no certainty around it, especially with our post bye form, but that's what I'd be trying.

FOS + Travaglia + Berry + Armstrong I think would be my dream needs based draft.

That above infill of list holes takes this list from an extremely promosing young one, to a superpower imo.

Obviously 3 of those 4 may go around that pick 7-14 range, so would take some serious maneuvering.

I'd be prepared to trade/lose some fairly good players to get that done as well (a combination of Powell, Zurhaar, Scott, Phillips etc). I'd also be prepared to let Zurhaar go for that same reason to make it happen.

If Zurharr somehow landed Band 1, that scenario becomes an actual achievable possibility.

I don't not rate Zuhaar, if some people perceive that, I'm also not just wanting to just cash in senior players for shiny draft picks.

We are so very close to putting the final pieces on a list that will be a premiership contending force, this draft is a unique opportunity to do it and we are in a unique ladder position, with a senior player that is kind of expendable, to do it.

It's an even bigger opportunity than the McKay situation imo and we are in a draft that may be even more fruitful if it occurs.

I really hope we don't look back in a few years on the next few months events like, "what could have been"
With Collingwood the most likely for Zurhaar i wonder if their form slump and a number of players already re-signing if band1 has become a little more likely.
They're going to want to bring in new blood thats for sure and dont have the picks. FA is really their only option.
Given he hasnt signed yet, then its a real possibility he's got a pretty good deal on the table from them.
Pick 3 or 4 for him would be a dream, but would end of first round cut it?

Where would wil Dawson go in this draft Sphynx , roos_fanatic08 , Souup The Talent Scout , noobermensch
Thats difficult. Key defender is probably the weakest part of the draft. I'd have O'Farrell ahead of him, and I probably would have had Mraz ahead of him before his injury. Are we calling Trainor and Tauru key defenders? They're a bit small for that really.

That's about the extent of the pool, unless we're talking guys like Nicholls, Shanahan and Barrett that are key forwards who've played some key defense in recent weeks, and they don't have enough exposed form back there to judge.

Where would wil Dawson go in this draft Sphynx , roos_fanatic08 , Souup The Talent Scout , noobermensch

Hard to say without seeing him play this year in the Coates League and the Champs. One of his big appeals was that he was the youngest player in the draft, and so had scope for development which other guys didn't.

I'd say he'd be the 2nd or 3rd KPD off the board - probably similar spot to where he went last year to be honest.

Kinnear Beatson talks about the 2024 draft, the depth, the talls.

Always interesting listening to Kinnear, like hearing about all of the factors they go into player rankings. It's so much more advanced, than many of us punters realise.

Obviously he has a stack of experience so it's good to hear that he really rates this draft.

Always interesting listening to Kinnear, like hearing about all of the factors they go into player rankings. It's so much more advanced, than many of us punters realise.

Obviously he has a stack of experience so it's good to hear that he really rates this draft.
He's the best in the business

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge game from Hamish here as he racks up an impressive 40 disposals to help his Claremont team get a hard fought victory against Swan Districts. Lets hope we get to see him challenge himself at senior WAFL level in the coming weeks.

Unfortunately, almost the entire 3rd quarter of the broadcast was lost due to technical difficulties, so we missed out on 20 mins of the commentator mixing up Davis and Angove, a true tragedy.

Really like him as more a 3rd round option imo but my concern would be what his position is, similar to Curtis Taylor.
But he certainly knows where the goals are, cracks in and can run all day.

I don't think we should split our pick.

Im of the opinion we should be shopping our F1 for 2 mid Rnd 1 picks, like the GC or Freo picks.

I doubt we get that offered for a F1 with no certainty around it, especially with our post bye form, but that's what I'd be trying.

FOS + Travaglia + Berry + Armstrong I think would be my dream needs based draft.

That above infill of list holes takes this list from an extremely promosing young one, to a superpower imo.

Obviously 3 of those 4 may go around that pick 7-14 range, so would take some serious maneuvering.

I'd be prepared to trade/lose some fairly good players to get that done as well (a combination of Powell, Zurhaar, Scott, Phillips etc). I'd also be prepared to let Zurhaar go for that same reason to make it happen.

If Zurharr somehow landed Band 1, that scenario becomes an actual achievable possibility.

I don't not rate Zuhaar, if some people perceive that, I'm also not just wanting to just cash in senior players for shiny draft picks.

We are so very close to putting the final pieces on a list that will be a premiership contending force, this draft is a unique opportunity to do it and we are in a unique ladder position, with a senior player that is kind of expendable, to do it.

It's an even bigger opportunity than the McKay situation imo and we are in a draft that may be even more fruitful if it occurs.

I really hope we don't look back in a few years on the next few months events like, "what could have been"
Makes sense about Zurhaar to be honest, I also don't dislike him however he won't take us to the next level. If we have faith in Duursma to step up - he takes Zurhaar's place, and then we add more talented youth from this draft we end up with an elite group who are all growing together.

There is no way Collingwood or anyone is paying Zurharr $900k. If he was to leave it would be end of first round pick. Probably 21.
The more I think about this draft, the more likely I think Thursfield will go best available which means we will get one of the mids with our first - FOS, Draper, Smillie or Smith. If we finish above Richmond and West Coast, it would likely be Draper.

Do we keep Goad as key def and Dawson as key forward?
Another preseason in the positions for both could mean that we don't have an immediate need for either in this draft?
I'd prefer to throw an early pick at a small forward, feels like an immediate need
I wouldn't be holding my breath for Goad. Watched him at VFL level and seems to be softer than spreadable butter.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

There is no way Collingwood or anyone is paying Zurharr $900k. If he was to leave it would be end of first round pick. Probably 21.
The more I think about this draft, the more likely I think Thursfield will go best available which means we will get one of the mids with our first - FOS, Draper, Smillie or Smith. If we finish above Richmond and West Coast, it would likely be Draper.
In saying that i didn't think someone would offer Mckay Millions or Battle 900 odd thousand. So you just never know what clubs are willing to pay these days. Would i pay huge bucks for Cam not a chance.

Collingwood probably not but look at * and McKay, they're paying him something like $1.4 million this year.

Were say * or St Kilda, who both have a war chest, to offer Zurhaar $900K they could pay him $1.8 million next year and then $675K over the remainder of his contract, that's nothing in the scheme of things.

Worst case scenario if he were to leave and we only got an end of Round 1 pick I don't think that's a bad outcome, with the depth of this draft we'd be able to pick 2 very talented players and the way it's shaping there's likely to be multiple talls available at that pick.

Edit: Heard someone talking about Collingwood's list last night seems they have cap space and a lot of players out of contract so I'd change "probably not" to "possibly"

Last edited:

Interesting he had these guys in the conversation for pick 1.
Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Luke Trainor, Josh Smillie, Murphy Reid

And thinks there will be some very good rookies picked given how deep the draft is.

Round 21 and 22 will tell us whether we have pick 3 or pick 1.

5 games for each player to convince our fans and each other, where this club is progressing.

3 out of 5 would be great but 4 from 5 would send a clear message that the days of 18th or 17th are over!!
It will be interesting to see what happens. I can see at least 2 wins. We should beat Tigers and Eagles but they might be desperate like it's their GF and believe they can win. I hope we're right in it against the Cats and Dogs.
Last round is always a little weird and might depend on whether the Hawks have finals to play for.

Interesting he had these guys in the conversation for pick 1.
Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Luke Trainor, Josh Smillie, Murphy Reid

And thinks there will be some very good rookies picked given how deep the draft is.

I honestly don’t think Murphy Reid was in his group of players. Twomey threw his name out there and Beatson sort of just ran with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back