Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly don’t think Murphy Reid was in his group of players. Twomey threw his name out there and Beatson sort of just ran with it.

Twomey has a massive man crush on Murphy Reid and just inserts him in most conversations.

He was similar with Darcy Parish in his top age year.

Where would wil Dawson go in this draft Sphynx , roos_fanatic08 , Souup The Talent Scout , noobermensch
Hello shinboner magic, I think Will would go late first round, possibly early second round and I'll give my reasons why. Recruiters look at not only this years youngsters but players in the following couple of drafts when talent is spotted. They get an early gauge at what's going around and while two to three years before they get drafted some are going to show lots of improvement, some are going to stall on their plateau and some are going to be late bloomers, so they have a reasonable idea two to three drafts ahead.

Now like everyone sometimes even a good recruiter can get caught out and this could happen in a variety of ways, a player who has showed promise may have had personal problems for a year or two, played average, things turn around and then he show's the potential that was always been there but for certain REASONS, his mind and concentration wasn't where it should be.

That is just one example and its very rare that it happens that recruiters get caught out like that as they would be aware of problems but not necessarily the cause hence the effort to keep an eye on that player all the way to the draft. Now my point in Will going where I think he would go this year, the fact that Will and Brady pulled the trigger on Will at the end of the first round tells me Will or both of them see an extremely high ceiling and so much potential for him its not funny.

Early on in his draft year while he has the potential, he was looked at as a third round to second round pick, because of his improvement throughout the year Will "got in first" to secure him as there were other admirers of his ability. Like most tall's he'll take time but gee that's why I was so impressed at our recruiting last year and the pick swaps that Brady engineneered, plus the players where they were picked, it was pure gold class.

Collingwood probably not but look at * and McKay, they're paying him something like $1.4 million this year.

Were say * or St Kilda, who both have a war chest, to offer Zurhaar $900K they could pay him $1.8 million next year and then $675K over the remainder of his contract, that's nothing in the scheme of things.

Worst case scenario if he were to leave and we only got an end of Round 1 pick I don't think that's a bad outcome, with the depth of this draft we'd be able to pick 2 very talented players and the way it's shaping there's likely to be multiple talls available at that pick.
I dont know why they wouldn't do that (pay the 1.8m next year). They have the cap space, bugger all picks and get their man for nothing. A win for Cam, Collingwood and North.

With Collingwood the most likely for Zurhaar i wonder if their form slump and a number of players already re-signing if band1 has become a little more likely.
They're going to want to bring in new blood thats for sure and dont have the picks. FA is really their only option.
Given he hasnt signed yet, then its a real possibility he's got a pretty good deal on the table from them.
Pick 3 or 4 for him would be a dream, but would end of first round cut it?
I would pull the plug for pick 19. Z on his day is a match winner. However he has never played good footy pre-bye and will never - at North - be fit enough properly as a power forward/mid that he promised to be for the last three years.

Take it and run.

Where would wil Dawson go in this draft Sphynx , roos_fanatic08 , Souup The Talent Scout , noobermensch

On last years form 25-30.

However I did state around April that given his VFL form and the fact he was one of the leading intercept marks in the VFL to that point before injury and he only made the cut for the draft by a few weeks and is only a month or two younger than some of the prospects in this draft, the hype would have been massive had he been a Jan birthday and doing that in the VFL as an 18 year old.

It's kind of an irrelevant hypothetical as that's not the pathway for VIC kids unless they are undrafted. He wouldn't have played VFL anyway.

It's also why it's quite disappointing we was moved forward with that form at that age. Some people are underestimating how good he was given his age earlier this year.

However you compare it to someone like Dan Curtin who is an early March birthday, meaning he was only 4 months younger than Will is now in his top age year.

Curtin was getting reach arounds for his senior WAFL form in defence. IMO Will was far better and only a few months older by comparison.

With Collingwood the most likely for Zurhaar i wonder if their form slump and a number of players already re-signing if band1 has become a little more likely.
They're going to want to bring in new blood thats for sure and dont have the picks. FA is really their only option.
Given he hasnt signed yet, then its a real possibility he's got a pretty good deal on the table from them.
Pick 3 or 4 for him would be a dream, but would end of first round cut it?
End of first rd? No way. Much rather keep Bull. For all the fapping about draft picks, you're entering speculation territory.

I can't see him not signing, so it's moot anyway.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Most draft watchers get dialed in on the top end of the draft particularly the top 30 or so, but I always like to mention some potential draftees from beyond pick 40 who have plenty of upside, or who could suit our list build as a role player. Some of the players I reckon we should be interested in that aren't getting much fan fare are:

Lachie Jacques 184cm Defender - Geelong Falcons co-captain who was recently named All Australian (HBF) off the back of a solid championships with Vic Country. Jacques is a defender first, but also has no worries finding the footy and providing drive off half back, while he can also be an aerial presence with his strong overhead marking. Has the ability to lock down on smaller types as well as taller forwards. For his size he is strong as well as being balanced. While he isn't the most damaging kick, he has composure and makes good decisions ball in hand. A real reliable/dependable type that will be at home as a small defender at AFL level. For the Falcons he is averaging 23.4 disposals, 6 marks and 5 rebounds per game.

Evan Bradley 174cm Small Forward - SA under 18's representative who has a bucketload of natural talent. Has agility, speed and X factor around goal. Is more than capable as a crumbing forward, but he is also a threat on the lead. Had a couple of games in the championships where he kicked multiple goals highlighting his talent. He is still very mercurial at this early stage, often drifting in and out of games, but I think as he matures and builds his tank there will be more than enough talent there to justify a spot on an AFL list. In the SANFL under 18's he is averaging 11.2 disposals, kicking 1.4 goals per game, 3 tackles per game and 3.7 inside 50's.

Pat Retschko 188cm Utility - Oakleigh Chargers and Vic metro representative who can play a wide variety of roles. Can play as a genuine inside mid, wing, half back and can also push forward and have an impact. He is a composed ball user, with a long reliable kick. His best asset imo is his work rate, when playing more outside roles he pushes hard back into defense as a spare man while also pushing forward in possession chains to provide support. Also has plenty of courage and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty around the contest. I'm not sure what his athletic profile looks like, but he seems to pass the eye test very well. Overtime I think he progresses into a hard running wing who can also rotate through the midfield. He has been one of the standout players in the APS school footy. In the Coates league he has only played the 4 games and has avg'd 17.5 disposals, 4 marks. 3 rebounds, 4 inside 50's, these stats are slightly skewed though due to one game where he was injured early.

Lucca Grego
183cm Utility - The western jets captain and Vic Metro representative is a real reliable player who can play multiple roles across the ground. For the jets he predominantly plays as a genuine midfielder, but for Vic Metro he was shifted to a more defensive role across half back. Grego is tough, courageous and more than willing to put his body on the line around the content or as spare defender in the back half. He has some breakaway speed and agility that allows him to provide run and carry. At AFL level I could easily see him being a dour/tough lockdown player or as a genuine mid/winger. For the Jets he is averaging 22.8 disposals, 4.9 marks, 4.2 tackles and 5.5 inside 50's per game.

Jack Ough 194cm Utility - Unique prospect due to his height and running capacity. Ough can play on a wing but can also play across half back as an interceptor. He runs really hard between the arcs and is a solid/reliable ball user around the ground. Around the contest he has good vision, matched with good composure which usually results in him making good decisions when disposing of the ball. At this stage he is very raw physically, but with his athletic attributes there is plenty of development to come. At AFL level you'd think he'd be best suited to playing as a winger. For the Rebels he is averaging 20 disposals, 4.6 marks and 2.6 tackles per game.

Jagga Smith's full highlights from an excellent Champs run in which he must have finished a very close second to Murphy Reid for Metro MVP. Jagga entered the 2024 season already highly regarded and has only solidified his sterling reputation to the point that he's now firmly in the pick 1 conversation.

Such clean hands and couldn't be more impressive in traffic. More than happy to have him on our list. We really cant go wrong with one of Smith, FOS, Smillie or Draper.

Most draft watchers get dialed in on the top end of the draft particularly the top 30 or so, but I always like to mention some potential draftees from beyond pick 40 who have plenty of upside, or who could suit our list build as a role player. Some of the players I reckon we should be interested in that aren't getting much fan fare are:

Lachie Jacques 184cm Defender - Geelong Falcons co-captain who was recently named All Australian (HBF) off the back of a solid championships with Vic Country. Jacques is a defender first, but also has no worries finding the footy and providing drive off half back, while he can also be an aerial presence with his strong overhead marking. Has the ability to lock down on smaller types as well as taller forwards. For his size he is strong as well as being balanced. While he isn't the most damaging kick, he has composure and makes good decisions ball in hand. A real reliable/dependable type that will be at home as a small defender at AFL level. For the Falcons he is averaging 23.4 disposals, 6 marks and 5 rebounds per game.

Evan Bradley 174cm Small Forward - SA under 18's representative who has a bucketload of natural talent. Has agility, speed and X factor around goal. Is more than capable as a crumbing forward, but he is also a threat on the lead. Had a couple of games in the championships where he kicked multiple goals highlighting his talent. He is still very mercurial at this early stage, often drifting in and out of games, but I think as he matures and builds his tank there will be more than enough talent there to justify a spot on an AFL list. In the SANFL under 18's he is averaging 11.2 disposals, kicking 1.4 goals per game, 3 tackles per game and 3.7 inside 50's.

Pat Retschko 188cm Utility - Oakleigh Chargers and Vic metro representative who can play a wide variety of roles. Can play as a genuine inside mid, wing, half back and can also push forward and have an impact. He is a composed ball user, with a long reliable kick. His best asset imo is his work rate, when playing more outside roles he pushes hard back into defense as a spare man while also pushing forward in possession chains to provide support. Also has plenty of courage and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty around the contest. I'm not sure what his athletic profile looks like, but he seems to pass the eye test very well. Overtime I think he progresses into a hard running wing who can also rotate through the midfield. He has been one of the standout players in the APS school footy. In the Coates league he has only played the 4 games and has avg'd 17.5 disposals, 4 marks. 3 rebounds, 4 inside 50's, these stats are slightly skewed though due to one game where he was injured early.

Lucca Grego 183cm Utility - The western jets captain and Vic Metro representative is a real reliable player who can play multiple roles across the ground. For the jets he predominantly plays as a genuine midfielder, but for Vic Metro he was shifted to a more defensive role across half back. Grego is tough, courageous and more than willing to put his body on the line around the content or as spare defender in the back half. He has some breakaway speed and agility that allows him to provide run and carry. At AFL level I could easily see him being a dour/tough lockdown player or as a genuine mid/winger. For the Jets he is averaging 22.8 disposals, 4.9 marks, 4.2 tackles and 5.5 inside 50's per game.

Jack Ough 194cm Utility - Unique prospect due to his height and running capacity. Ough can play on a wing but can also play across half back as an interceptor. He runs really hard between the arcs and is a solid/reliable ball user around the ground. Around the contest he has good vision, matched with good composure which usually results in him making good decisions when disposing of the ball. At this stage he is very raw physically, but with his athletic attributes there is plenty of development to come. At AFL level you'd think he'd be best suited to playing as a winger. For the Rebels he is averaging 20 disposals, 4.6 marks and 2.6 tackles per game.
I like the sound of Evan Bradley, could potentially still be on the board at our pick 40 or 58.

Lucca Grego 183cm Utility - The western jets captain and Vic Metro representative is a real reliable player who can play multiple roles across the ground. For the jets he predominantly plays as a genuine midfielder, but for Vic Metro he was shifted to a more defensive role across half back. Grego is tough, courageous and more than willing to put his body on the line around the content or as spare defender in the back half. He has some breakaway speed and agility that allows him to provide run and carry. At AFL level I could easily see him being a dour/tough lockdown player or as a genuine mid/winger. For the Jets he is averaging 22.8 disposals, 4.9 marks, 4.2 tackles and 5.5 inside 50's per game.

....... how do you pronounce 'Ough'?

I don't watch it like you do, but I saw a couple of the SA games and Bradley was certainly lively.

Given we'll be taking River (I assume), whether we go with another small forward might depend on the call they make on RHJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like all of these guys, one of them at pick 58 would be a nice get but knowing us we probably won't use it.
Oliver Warburton could be another who looks good. Which one of the half back/wings has the quickest speed?

Only top player i dont like for our list from the top prospects is Jagga. Not damaging for him to be most efefctive he needs to okay a role that LDU and George do but they do it better.
Draper adds something abit different. Can be elusive and pacey on the outside. Tackles hard.
FOS i would want to see him go near his underage form befor using a pick 2 on him.
Smilie had huge upside and adds something that we dont have in our middle. Would want to see him develop contested marking. Otherwise he is my fav
Would a great finish to the season for Lalor also be a great addition

Hello shinboner magic, I think Will would go late first round, possibly early second round and I'll give my reasons why. Recruiters look at not only this years youngsters but players in the following couple of drafts when talent is spotted. They get an early gauge at what's going around and while two to three years before they get drafted some are going to show lots of improvement, some are going to stall on their plateau and some are going to be late bloomers, so they have a reasonable idea two to three drafts ahead.

Now like everyone sometimes even a good recruiter can get caught out and this could happen in a variety of ways, a player who has showed promise may have had personal problems for a year or two, played average, things turn around and then he show's the potential that was always been there but for certain REASONS, his mind and concentration wasn't where it should be.

That is just one example and its very rare that it happens that recruiters get caught out like that as they would be aware of problems but not necessarily the cause hence the effort to keep an eye on that player all the way to the draft. Now my point in Will going where I think he would go this year, the fact that Will and Brady pulled the trigger on Will at the end of the first round tells me Will or both of them see an extremely high ceiling and so much potential for him its not funny.

Early on in his draft year while he has the potential, he was looked at as a third round to second round pick, because of his improvement throughout the year Will "got in first" to secure him as there were other admirers of his ability. Like most tall's he'll take time but gee that's why I was so impressed at our recruiting last year and the pick swaps that Brady engineneered, plus the players where they were picked, it was pure gold class.
And this is one of the reasons i get so sick of hearing how bad people think we are at drafting players. We have been good at it for quite a few years now. Great post Scout.

And I was like Ough are you serious? And she was like, Ough totally.
Surprised GIF by ION

Josh Smillie's champs run didn't quite reach the same heights as his fantastic Talent League and Academy performances, but he still left us with a highlights package worthy of a top five pick.

His kicking is A grade, both depth and weight of kick, makes him dangerous if used forward or back as well. Uses those long levers well with the dont argues.

And this is one of the reasons i get so sick of hearing how bad people think we are at drafting players. We have been good at it for quite a few years now. Great post Scout.
Agreed the problem is the glaring hole that reminds people almost weekly in that 25-30yo range.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back