Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jagga played his third and final VFL game of the season, again playing predominantly in midfield and producing excellent numbers against grown men. This might have been the least impressive of his three VFL outings, but Jagga Smith doesn't play a bad game. His willingness to put his body on the line and wear the hits to win contested footy was a particular feature in this one.

The footy IQ on display, composure and decision making at 1:32, 1:50, 2:16 and 2:38 is extremely rare for a junior. It's not going to catch the eye the same way some of the stuff O'Sullivan did does, but it's way beyond 99% of juniors.

This is the sort of stuff Sheezel was doing regularly at U18's level that screamed elite and as someone who watches a lot of junior footy, it's the stuff that is at top of my list for things I look for in a prospect.

I'm not saying he's going to be Sheezel, but I think the criticisms of Jagga Smith being a player that 'never kicks it more than 30m' and being a 'vanilla accumulator with no hurt factor' are ridiculous.

Last edited:
The footy IQ on display, composure and decision making at 1:32, 1:50, 2:16 and 2:38 is extremely rare for a junior. It's not going to catch the eye the same way some of the stuff O'Sullivan did does, but it's way beyond 99% of juniors.

This is the sort of stuff Sheezel was doing regularly at U18's level that screamed elite and as someone who watches a lot of junior footy, it's the stuff that is at top of my list for things I look for in a prospect.

I'm not saying he's going to be Sheezel, but I think the criticisms of Jagga Smith being a player that 'never kicks it more than 30m' and being a 'vanilla accumulator with no hurt factor' are ridiculous.
Is that the perception? He looks electric in his movement style to me.

Jagga played his third and final VFL game of the season, again playing predominantly in midfield and producing excellent numbers against grown men. This might have been the least impressive of his three VFL outings, but Jagga Smith doesn't play a bad game. His willingness to put his body on the line and wear the hits to win contested footy was a particular feature in this one.

He is impressive in the coalface but nothing really stands out. I hope he keeps putting up great numbers and Tiges take him. Wouldn't surprise me if he slides come draft night.

Is that the perception? He looks electric in his movement style to me.
I’m one who isn’t huge on him. I think partially fit, I don’t see his fit in our midfield. He doesn’t do anything the others don’t and he cant play other roles.
My knocks on him are I think out of Smillie, FOS and Draper also add Trainor he has the lowest ceiling.
I do knock short kicking and damage when doing that.

He will come straight into an AFL side though. He has incredible clearance craft prob best in the draft. Best cardio in the draft class.

To add to that I would have taken Saunders ahead of him personally

Smith definitely looks like a great prospect. Is his light frame a concern? I know he's a kid and will grow but there's a chance he may not fill out much more. Can we afford another small framed midfielder? He certainly has footy smarts and an appetite for the footy.

It’s the combination of his height/body shape, defensive intensity and his lack of versatility that are the biggest red flags for me regarding Jagga. There is no doubting his footy iq, his vision and his ability to dispose of the ball, but with his @181cm what is his point of difference at AFL level?

I’m not sure his game will transition well to AFL level where there are far bigger bodies, more speed and far less space.

I’m trying to think of who best he plays like in the AFL? Probably Nick Daicos without the long kicking and not quite as powerful running.

Ideal player to start a rebuild with (from a midfield perspective)

If you're after polish then that's probably not Smillie imo. Went at 56% disposal efficiency in the champs.
90 Day Fiance Ew GIF by TLC Europe

At a guess this year's draft has 9 pick 6s then 40 second round picks.
Taking pick 2 is a waste. Trade down draft for needs.
I think thats why there are so many differenet opinions on top picks. Not sure anyone is inherently wrong at the moment. Im personally excited about the key forwards coming through. I think alot of upside and great traits with high upside if you get the right one. Also very hard to pick though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think thats why there are so many differenet opinions on top picks. Not sure anyone is inherently wrong at the moment. Im personally excited about the key forwards coming through. I think alot of upside and great traits with high upside if you get the right one. Also very hard to pick though
I think we have been spoilt with the last few drafts with ready to go guns.
Outside Ashcroft I don't really see any this year.

I think we have been spoilt with the last few drafts with ready to go guns.
Outside Ashcroft I don't really see any this year.
I feel Jagga will go early and Draper... always a surprise somewhere aswell. Kakko will be a star early and possilbly Berry i think

We have definetly been spoiled though. Kerch, Wardlaw and Sheez you dont get that much production generally.

It's why I'm pro trading down and loading up on them. 3-4 kpp and River.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s the combination of his height/body shape, defensive intensity and his lack of versatility that are the biggest red flags for me regarding Jagga. There is no doubting his footy iq, his vision and his ability to dispose of the ball, but with his @181cm what is his point of difference at AFL level?

I’m not sure his game will transition well to AFL level where there are far bigger bodies, more speed and far less space.

I’m trying to think of who best he plays like in the AFL? Probably Nick Daicos without the long kicking and not quite as powerful running.
Damn. Sounded like that described Jy 😔

It's why I'm pro trading down and loading up on them. 3-4 kpp and River.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wouldnt go that many but need a good look at whats available.

Ideally for me we trade back with Adelaide for 4 and 26.

Take Trainor, Faull, Berry. All with the hope Berry slides though less likely now. Rookie list Stevens

KPD and KPF and small forward.

Would Armstrong be a reach at 2?
When recruiters draft a key forward its what they can become, the potential, elite attributes and what he can do now, lets have a think about this, right now we've seen him crash the packs and take a mark in heavy traffic, seen him lead out like an old school full forward take the mark and have the confidence to say "don't worry, I've got this" and drill it, no matter the distance, again we've seen him win a game of his own boot in this similar way for Sandringham against Oakleigh when he took the mark {it did pop out but it was a mark} the final siren blew, he calmly went back and nailed it, they won the game, how's that for pressure?

How about we go up a level to the national championships and even further to the big game decider between Country vs Metro, with 4 minutes and 15 seconds left on the clock after already drilling 5 goals, he comes down to the wing and takes THAT mark in between James Barrat and Finn O'Sullivan, remind you of anyone?

Lets get back to that word "potential", interesting word isn't it? From the top of the page I said elite attributes, his marking is pretty close to the mark, his kicking is outstanding and he's not afraid to venture outside the 50, that means he also has no problems with work ethic, plus he's a team player.

What he can do now? Well I think you've already got a glimpse into what he's done in a short period by what I've said, now that final bit that I mentioned earlier "potential" and what they can become, goodness me, its frightening, does he have things to learn and improve on, like all draftee's of course he does, his ceiling is absurdly high and IF he even scratches the surface of it, he could well be the best key forward in the AFL!

On a side note there is a young man by the name of Kayle Gerreyn playing for West Perth who I've had big wraps on since last year and likewise your only seeing glimpses of what he can do, his ability and potential is also extremely high and if we can get either of these two players you are not going to be disappointed, trust me. ;)

Re: Smith, I think consistency is massively undervalued when it comes to junior prospects. If a dude doesn’t have a bad game for 2 years + across all levels then maybe he’s just that good? As I posted after Metro’s first champs game, if he had any sort of rig he’d be the clear number 1.

Can anyone explain to me why Draper isn't top our board?
He just might be, its the great unknown, what do the tigers do and if they keep their pick who do they choose? Then the same question starts again with us, already the most fascinating draft for lots of reasons I've ever seen, so many questions and so few answers, at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back