Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

When recruiters draft a key forward its what they can become, the potential, elite attributes and what he can do now, lets have a think about this, right now we've seen him crash the packs and take a mark in heavy traffic, seen him lead out like an old school full forward take the mark and have the confidence to say "don't worry, I've got this" and drill it, no matter the distance, again we've seen him win a game of his own boot in this similar way for Sandringham against Oakleigh when he took the mark {it did pop out but it was a mark} the final siren blew, he calmly went back and nailed it, they won the game, how's that for pressure?

How about we go up a level to the national championships and even further to the big game decider between Country vs Metro, with 4 minutes and 15 seconds left on the clock after already drilling 5 goals, he comes down to the wing and takes THAT mark in between James Barrat and Finn O'Sullivan, remind you of anyone?

Lets get back to that word "potential", interesting word isn't it? From the top of the page I said elite attributes, his marking is pretty close to the mark, his kicking is outstanding and he's not afraid to venture outside the 50, that means he also has no problems with work ethic, plus he's a team player.

What he can do now? Well I think you've already got a glimpse into what he's done in a short period by what I've said, now that final bit that I mentioned earlier "potential" and what they can become, goodness me, its frightening, does he have things to learn and improve on, like all draftee's of course he does, his ceiling is absurdly high and IF he even scratches the surface of it, he could well be the best key forward in the AFL!

On a side note there is a young man by the name of Kayle Gerreyn playing for West Perth who I've had big wraps on since last year and likewise your only seeing glimpses of what he can do, his ability and potential is also extremely high and if we can get either of these two players you are not going to be disappointed, trust me. ;)
I notice that Davo_27 , in his initial mock draft, has Armstrong going at Pick 1 to the Tiges on the basis that he’s the type of player you can rebuild a team around.

Langford will go #1 IMO. I’ve been saying this well b4 the champs. Hes so similar to the bont in his junior year it’s ridiculous.
Armstrong is showing that he’s gonna be right up there. Maybe he’s this years Leake in terms of a bit of a late comer.

I notice that Davo_27 , in his initial mock draft, has Armstrong going at Pick 1 to the Tiges on the basis that he’s the type of player you can rebuild a team around.
Yes I saw that to, but I feel that with the tigers list they need top talent midfielders, Taranto and Hopper won't be there when they next challenge for a flag, they will be there for experience. though I would be rapt if I was a tigers fan and they had the courage to pick him at one, I do see on many draft boards he is listed between 1 and 18, how is that for a confusing problem, specially if you are a recruiter, the only thing is that they would have watched many games over the last few years as well as medicals and so forth so as professionals they have a distinct advantage in knowing and doing their due diligence.

Last edited:

Langford will go #1 IMO. I’ve been saying this well b4 the champs. Hes so similar to the bont in his junior year it’s ridiculous.
Armstrong is showing that he’s gonna be right up there. Maybe he’s this years Leake in terms of a bit of a late comer.
As the Larke Medallist, interesting to see where Langford might fit with the most recent winners - in chronological order: Petraccca (2014), Schache (2015), Jack Graham (2016), Oscar Allen (2017) Sam Walsh (2018) Deven Robertson (2019) Ashcroft (2022) Sanders (2023)

Scache, Robertson and Graham aren't in the same league, but you'd be happy with any of the others

A second impressive VFL game in a row for Shanahan. He was quiet through the first half, but really got motoring in the third quarter taking a few impressive contested grabs and kicking a goal. The contested marking in particular was a welcome sight given that has at times been questioned. If he carries this form over to close out the Talent League season Shanahan could really start to move up draft boards.

Yes I saw that to, but I feel that with the tigers list they need top talent midfielders, Taranto and Hopper won't be their when they next challenge for a flag, they will be there for experience. though I would be rapt if I was a tigers fan and they had the courage to pick him at one, I do see on many draft boards he is listed between 1 and 18, how is that for a confusing problem, specially if you are a recruiter, the only thing is that they would have watched many games over the last few years as well as medicals and so forth so as professionals they have a distinct advantage in knowing and doing their due diligence.
So you'd be for us taking Armstrong? Can definitely see some JC about him which is exactly the type of forward we'd want, one that works up the ground and back. If so is it worth trading pick 2 to the crows so they can get Draper for pick 4 and their F2. Or do we get real ballsy and trade pick 2, 22 and perhaps Scott to GC for 7, 12 and 20. Letting them get ahead for Lombard. It would be a risk missing ideal players but its still a strong draft hand. This draft is proving too hard for me and a mere draft nuffy.

Last edited:

Was mentioned on the Further North podcast that Josh spoke to someone close to a Tigers recruiter (I think) and said they were zeroing in on the Dusty clone, and to me that is Langford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers will potentially have 5 first rounders if they trade out Rioli, Bolton and Graham. I think Lalor will be drafted around later picks they have. That being said if they love him and take him that early who knows?

If they end up with a raft of 1st rounders i more likely see them going early on Armstrong as he is highest rated forward and may want to avoid risking him being taken by next few sides

A second impressive VFL game in a row for Shanahan. He was quiet through the first half, but really got motoring in the third quarter taking a few impressive contested grabs and kicking a goal. The contested marking in particular was a welcome sight given that has at times been questioned. If he carries this form over to close out the Talent League season Shanahan could really start to move up draft boards.

What height is Shanahan, the big boys take a bit longer to develop, but is he someone that could play games as early as next season?

I just want to know who Soup thinks we should take.

In order of who I'd take right now based on our list and how I rate the players:

1. FO'S
2. Taj Hotton
3. Sid Draper
4. Harvey Langford (pending improved combine results. There's not a player in this crop whose stocks are going to rise or drop more drastically than this bloke based on combine results)
5. Luke Trainor
6. Murphy Reid
7. Jagga Smith

In order of who I'd take right now based on our list and how I rate the players:

1. FO'S
2. Taj Hotton
3. Sid Draper
4. Harvey Langford (pending improved combine results. There's not a player in this crop whose stocks are going to rise or drop more drastically than this bloke based on combine results)
5. Luke Trainor
6. Murphy Reid
7. Jagga Smith

what order do you have the tall forwards in?

1. FO'S
2. Taj Hotton
3. Sid Draper
5. Luke Trainor
6. Murphy Reid
7. Jagga Smith

Taj Hotton @2 Souup ?

You know a 110% more than me. The ACL history worries me ( Perez, George )
Joel Selwood ( yes )

Is the risk worth it ? I'll bow to your knowledge, but........

1. FO'S
2. Taj Hotton
3. Sid Draper
5. Luke Trainor
6. Murphy Reid
7. Jagga Smith
I dont mind those players. Not to worried about injuries on the top 2?

So you'd be for us taking Armstrong? Can definitely see some JC about him which is exactly the type of forward we'd want, one that works up the ground and back. If so is it worth trading pick 2 to the crows so they can get Draper for pick 4 and their F2. Or do we get real ballsy and trade pick 2, 22 and perhaps Scott to GC for 7, 12 and 20. Letting them get ahead for Lombard. It would be a risk passing but even if we miss out its still a strong draft hand. This draft is proving too hard for me and a mere draft nuffy.
If we are trading our 2nd we would be wanting 4 plus this year's 2nd at least.

1. FO'S
2. Taj Hotton
3. Sid Draper
5. Luke Trainor
6. Murphy Reid
7. Jagga Smith
Interesting Souup still very much in the 'need for speed' mode which im not against in the slightest. Simply out numbering our oppo for i50s will make life way easier for our key position players. Along with more quality i50s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back