Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the point you are making but the Hawks also took Denver Grainger Barass at pick 4/5 and now they're looking at trading for Barass. So clearly spending a top 10 pick on a key position has a bit of risk associated with it as well.
If the club decides to trade down and grab a couple out of Trainor/Armstrong/Lalor/Berry/Langford/Hotton then I wouldn't be too disappointed if that's the move, but it may depend what we pick up in trade week as well as to what we do on draft night. I think we could add one key forward this draft at the 2nd rounder (if we don't slide back or move up) at worst and perhaps a small forward (Dattoli, Bradley, Depaoli-Kubank, Alger etc.) or defender (Mraz, Tauru) at the 3rd rounder or possibly we could trade our F2 into this year. There's also the possibility in next year's draft of taking Ludowyke or Duursma bro in the top 8 who might be more that key position anyway, so I wouldn't panic if we only get one kpf.

Given we lost TT you could argue we need a mid/wing/fwd to replace that level of class we lost.
We can win clearances but struggle to convert that into F50 entries and quality one's. That's a class problem.
Can LDU, Wardlaw and Phillips become more damaging by foot with their ball use? Not sure.
I do agree if we take a mid they have to be versatile enough to be able to play elsewhere on the ground.
That might be more FOS (wing), Draper (small fwd?), Smillie (back/fwd), Langford (fwd), Lalor (fwd) or Reid (fwd).

I'm not particularly convinced Simpkin or Phillips become a big part of the midfield group in 2 years time.
The same could possibly be said about Powell, although he's had the better year out of the three of them for sure.

Drafts are a crap shoot, but you still have to balance your list out at some point.
No good having elite mids all over the park with Pink and Teakle leading at them surrounded by 189cm mediums.

The backline needs work, too. Logue is an unknown at this point, Corr OOC next year and Dawson good depth. Will Dawson developing with the forwards(wtf)

Another 2 x kpf and 2 x kpd would be magic. Bring in a couple of decent stop gaps so they can develop in the VFL.

We can afford to keep developing the mids we have for another couple of years before revisiting that part of our list or trade for someone ready-made if we have a bust or 2.

Geelong and Hawthorn have good defences and good forwards with decent midfields kicking to them. They are getting maximum value at both ends are very well balanced teams.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, very good agility.

Finn O'Sullivan
Vertical: 90cm
20m: 3.046
Agility: 8.117
Yo-yo: 1000

Taj Hotton
Vertical: 93cm
20m: 2.882
Agility: 7.807

Yo-yo: 800

H.Langford
Vertical - 72cm
20m - 3.213
Agility - 8.721
Yo-yo - 720

Smillie:
20m - 3.093
Vertical - 73cm
Agility - 8.501
Yo-yo - 720

Jagga Smith
20m - 2.990
Vertical - 75cm
Agility - 8.796
Yo-yo - 840

Compared to

Wardlaw
Vertical: 101cm
20m: 2.95
Agility: 8.33
Yo-yo: 600

Sheezel
Vertical: 77cm
20m: 3.14
Agility: 8.16
Yo-yo: 1040

McKercher:
Vertical: 74cm
20m 3.094
Agility: 8.452
Yo-yo: 960

Zane Duursma
Vertical 91cm
20m 3.036
Agility 8.379
Yo-Yo: 640
Colby had an off day with the testing - he's got a better set of wheels than the Warlord or Zane

Drafts are a crap shoot, but you still have to balance your list out at some point.
No good having elite mids all over the park with Pink and Teakle leading at them surrounded by 189cm mediums.

The backline needs work, too. Logue is an unknown at this point, Corr OOC next year and Dawson good depth. Will Dawson developing with the forwards(wtf)

Another 2 x kpf and 2 x kpd would be magic. Bring in a couple of decent stop gaps so they can develop in the VFL.

We can afford to keep developing the mids we have for another couple of years before revisiting that part of our list or trade for someone ready-made if we have a bust or 2.

Geelong and Hawthorn have good defences and good forwards with decent midfields kicking to them. They are getting maximum value at both ends are very well balanced teams.

The thing about midfielders is that every draft has plenty of them, and midfielders across the comp are more readily available as draftees, recruits and free agents. Very rarely do you have the depth in talls that you have this year.

I’d be disappointed if we missed out on FOS/Smillie/Draper but if we decided to go balls to the wall and target talls, this is definitely the draft to do it….Despite what others think I still think we are light on for developing tall defenders as well. We split our pick, trade in a F2 into the top 30. Target 3 talls (2 x KPF and 1 x key defender) and a small forward (Berry) and I’d be over the moon.

2 of J.Whitlock, Armstrong, Gerreyn or Shanahan

1 of M.Whitlock, Harry O’Farrell or Noah Mraz

And Joe Berry.

Our list balance sorted in one draft and you are potentially looking at 2015 Carlton haul with McKay/Curnow/Weitering.

The thing about midfielders is that every draft has plenty of them, and midfielders across the comp are more readily available as draftees, recruits and free agents. Very rarely do you have the depth in talls that you have this year.

I’d be disappointed if we missed out on FOS/Smillie/Draper but if we decided to go balls to the wall and target talls, this is definitely the draft to do it….Despite what others think I still think we are light on for developing tall defenders as well. We split our pick, trade in a F2 into the top 30. Target 3 talls (2 x KPF and 1 x key defender) and a small forward (Berry) and I’d be over the moon.

And Joe Berry.

Our list balance sorted in one draft and you are potentially looking at 2015 Carlton haul with McKay/Curnow/Weitering.
Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

I like the idea of going tall. If we did that going Trainor could make sense with that early part of the draft and the available KPF with our second rounder.

I like the idea of going tall. If we did that going Trainor could make sense with that early part of the draft and the available KPF with our second rounder.
If we do head down this route then.. we need a freak FP to sit in the opposite pocket to Curtis so I would prefer we pull the trigger on Berry with our first pick and then Whitlock and Shanahan/Gerreyn with our two other earlier picks.

We can trade our F2nd for a pick in the 30’s to grab another key back if needed.

And Joe Berry.

LoL...love this time of year where we go full circle and go back to 1 x KPD 1x KPF and 1x SF!!

Be very interesting if Adelaide make a play for Lukosius and now, Neal Bullen at the expense of possibly obtaining Draper whom they really need in there midfield mix.
Port Adelaide be the first team to give up 2x future 1st to get the captial to pull off a bid to grab these two SA boys.
GC don't need anymore picks so be interesting how they shed some their excess
North recruiting team will need to be smart if they want to split pick 2 as I do think we need 2 x 2nd rounder and l reckon there will be some quality mids in the early 2nds that have drifted back as teams look to grab some of the talls first.
If we do look towards list balance rather than best available, then it has to be Trainor, then Armstrong, if we could somehow get Freo's pick 25, this puts pressure on WCE on whether they pick tall Def or Champion, if they bauk on Champion, hello and if we can get Adelaides pick 26, i reckon Allan will still be available.

This draft period will not be for the faint hearted this year l reckon!!

LoL...love this time of year where we go full circle and go back to 1 x KPD 1x KPF and 1x SF!!

Be very interesting if Adelaide make a play for Lukosius and now, Neal Bullen at the expense of possibly obtaining Draper whom they really need in there midfield mix.
Port Adelaide be the first team to give up 2x future 1st to get the captial to pull off a bid to grab these two SA boys.
GC don't need anymore picks so be interesting how they shed some their excess
North recruiting team will need to be smart if they want to split pick 2 as I do think we need 2 x 2nd rounder and l reckon there will be some quality mids in the early 2nds that have drifted back as teams look to grab some of the talls first.
If we do look towards list balance rather than best available, then it has to be Trainor, then Armstrong, if we could somehow get Freo's pick 25, this puts pressure on WCE on whether they pick tall Def or Champion, if they bauk on Champion, hello and if we can get Adelaides pick 26, i reckon Allan will still be available.

This draft period will not be for the faint hearted this year l reckon!!
Ha ha ha ha, this could well be the most watched draft ever, apart from father/sons and Academy players, no one really knows who is going to who, well apart from the recruiters who will know what clubs are keen on certain players.
Don't be surprised if BIGFOOTY does have another meltdown, I can see, how would you say it, a couple of surprise choices or decisions made and the players taken and supporters losing their cool, be prepared and I'm talking first round only.

Anyone able to confirm if Waylon Davey-Motlop is in the open draft pool? Or is he another small forward that we lose access to due to NGA?

From the N.T so that automatically puts him in the GC academy yeah?
I could be wrong but I think he's in the open pool.

Wouldn’t he be similar to Hopper & Taranto?..

I reckon they’re going Jagga the dagger Smith all the way.
Some have said Jagga, it literally could be any of 7 players and I'm being dead serious.
Sam, I think is the player with tremendous upside and I say this as loving Finn, love Sid's midfield nous, Josh's ceiling, Jagga's consistency and Sam's potential as a midfielder and resting forward, gee whiz I'm impressed with what he can become, I think he's going to be a better player than both those two and my opinion on this "fascinating" draft is that there could be four or five players picked out way before a lot of supporters think they will go at.

I genuinely think that a couple of recruiters are thinking that this draft has loads of elite talent and are going to pull the pin on certain players, I very much doubt its going to be a normal draft , there are going to be a fair few deals done either before or during the night so I would suggest don't leave your seat, its going to get very interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd be for us taking Armstrong? Can definitely see some JC about him which is exactly the type of forward we'd want, one that works up the ground and back. If so is it worth trading pick 2 to the crows so they can get Draper for pick 4 and their F2. Or do we get real ballsy and trade pick 2, 22 and perhaps Scott to GC for 7, 12 and 20. Letting them get ahead for Lombard. It would be a risk missing ideal players but its still a strong draft hand. This draft is proving too hard for me and a mere draft nuffy.
Without doubt. The thing is, just say he is our target, that come draft time recruiters will have a fair idea or shall I say Will would have a fair idea who is into him and what pick range he may go at, so there may be options if another team are willing to move up and grab a certain player and we still get our player and a little something extra, if not we pull the pin and at pick 2 North Melbourne selects Harry Armstrong.

On draft night a lot is going to happen so its very hard to speculate on what picks change hands and what is offered and what is declined, your scenarios are not crazy by any means ROOStaR although Bailey Scott is not going anywhere in my opinion and yes I've heard the talk, inside the club he is valued highly in his role that he plays for us.

I know we got beat by the Eagles but in my opinion that was one of his best games and I'm not just talking possessions, I'm talking what he did with them, it would defy logic to trade him when we are screaming out for mature talented players to come into our side next year and we lose a player who has finished up there in our best & fairest a few times and is in that age bracket.

I’ve watched a few games and I honestly think Gerreyn is the one we should be targeting.

Pick 2 for Petracca alleviates a need for drafting mids and Gerreyn’s skill set as an around the ground tall gives me Waite vibes

We do have to balance the list but pick 2 is your star player terrority. Grab them while you are in that position.
If the club can slide and get the player they want then so be it. What position Colby play's might be part of it too.

You could also view that having Teakle, Pink and Maley means you might only need to add one key forward right now.
A small forward and an athletic intercept defender/wing would be handy as well.
Generally players who can run and use the ball could be of use to us as well. There's a lot of different options.

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide: Top draft prospects' August ranking - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1195410

received_489774176973013.jpeg

#July#August
1Levi Ashcroft1Levi Ashcroft
2Josh Smillie2Jagga Smith
3Finn O'Sullivan3Harvey Langford
4Harvey Langford4Finn O'Sullivan
5Murphy Reid5Josh Smillie
6Jagga Smith6Murphy Reid
7Luke Trainor7Sid Draper
8Sam Lalor8Harry Armstrong
9Sid Draper9Sam Lalor
10Bo Allan10Luke Trainor
11Leonardo Lombard11Bo Allan
12Taj Hotton12Leonardo Lombard
13Tobie Travaglia13Tobie Travaglia
14Harry Armstrong14Taj Hotton
15Isaac Kako15Isaac Kako
16Xavier Lindsay16Xavier Lindsay
17Joe Berry17Joe Berry
18Jack Whitlock18Cooper Hynes
19Cooper Hynes19Jack Whitlock
20Tom Gross20Alix Tauru
21Samuel Marshall21Jobe Shanahan
22Christian Moraes22Alex Dodson
23Alex Dodson23Jonty Faull
24Alix Tauru24Samuel Marshall
25Harrison Oliver25Christian Moraes
26Matt Whitlock26Tom Gross
27Jobe Shanahan27Harrison Oliver
28Jonty Faull28Matt Whitlock
29Thomas Sims29Jesse Dattoli
30Noah Mraz30Thomas Sims

Last edited:
No, I'm with roos_fanatic08 on this one. IF we decided to split to go tall, then take the best available forwards with the first two picks and then nab the key defender rather than taking Trainor and then looking for a Kmart key forward in the late 20s. I'm just not convinced that there is much difference on the scoreboard between Trainor and Mraz.

I haven’t seen anything on draft/trade assistance for us this year. We must receive something decent considering we have only won 3 games this year. End of first round pick? Not lose our rookie extension of numbers? We still need help.

We will get nothing.

TBH I doubt we even ask.

I haven’t seen anything on draft/trade assistance for us this year. We must receive something decent considering we have only won 3 games this year. End of first round pick? Not lose our rookie extension of numbers? We still need help.
They would be the two end of first-round picks we got this year if we remained around the same position on the ladder and with regard to win/loss. If we improved significantly, the two picks would be reconsidered. We already traded those two picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back