Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The second of two strong mid season Talent League games from Harry that elevated his draft stock significantly. He started on fire in the first quarter, taking marks around the ground and hitting the scoreboard with a couple of early goals. In the second half he continued to present well and fly for his marks, but on a number of occasions couldn't quite hang on. He still finished with 4 goals in a what was overall a strong key forward display.

He looks great! Heaps of second and third efforts.

The second of two strong mid season Talent League games from Harry that elevated his draft stock significantly. He started on fire in the first quarter, taking marks around the ground and hitting the scoreboard with a couple of early goals. In the second half he continued to present well and fly for his marks, but on a number of occasions couldn't quite hang on. He still finished with 4 goals in a what was overall a strong key forward display.

What is the potential for him to come into consideration at pick 2?

he seems like the most fitting within the first 10 as what I see as our biggest need.

Nope.
North out 2 + F2 - in 7,12, 25
Freo out 7, 12, 25 - in Bolton, F2 (Rich).
Rich in 2, F2 (North) - out Bolton, F2.

North have 7, 12, 22, 25 40.
Rich have 1, 2, 21, 33, 39
Freo have Bolton, 17, 61.

That's a terrible trade for Freo. Bolton for essentially 7 and 12? Yuk!

One of teams largest issues is converting midfield clearance both around stoppage up the ground and at center bounces into scores and scoring opportunities.

We are 18th in the comp for converting clearance into i50's + scores. Even after the bye we are still 18th in this stat.

We have major defensive issues defending the opposition when they have the ball, but our problem isn't winning the ball.

We are actually in the better few sides at the moment regarding clearance, contested ball, possessions etc.

We don't convert those clearances into inside 50's or scores because we are turning it over or making poor decisions. Our forwards aren't efficient either at winning 1 on 1's and retaining it. This is one of my biggest gripes with Zurhaar, given he is a senior player and it's his role.

Based on that, the priority at the top has to be a midfielder with excellent skills, good decision making and is a score involvement machine = Finn O'Sullivan.

Moving McKercher up the ground will help this immensely also.

If we can move the ball better and get it deeper and generate more scores or i50 stops from clearance, it will stop the ball being turned over and rebounded in poorer positions, which should help mitigate (but not completely solve) some of the really bad defensive stats.

I don't think the problem is all on the shoulders of our midfielders. Our forwards often don't work hard enough into space either.

One of teams largest issues is converting midfield clearance both around stoppage up the ground and at center bounces into scores and scoring opportunities.

We are 18th in the comp for converting clearance into i50's + scores. Even after the bye we are still 18th in this stat.

We have major defensive issues defending the opposition when they have the ball, but our problem isn't winning the ball.

We are actually in the better few sides at the moment regarding clearance, contested ball, possessions etc.

We don't convert those clearances into inside 50's or scores because we are turning it over or making poor decisions. Our forwards aren't efficient either at winning 1 on 1's and retaining it. This is one of my biggest gripes with Zurhaar, given he is a senior player and it's his role.

Based on that, the priority at the top has to be a midfielder with excellent skills, good decision making and is a score involvement machine = Finn O'Sullivan.

Moving McKercher up the ground will help this immensely also.

If we can move the ball better and get it deeper and generate more scores or i50 stops from clearance, it will stop the ball being turned over and rebounded in poorer positions, which should help mitigate (but not completely solve) some of the really bad defensive stats.
Is it a talent issue or systems issue?
Is it about the quality of ball coming in or the poor leading patterns of the forwards?

I don't disagree with you on FOS and his ball use or the need to have a better ball user however, what you describe and l see as well, IMO, is more to do with system or lack of it tbh and even accountablility.

Could you see him pushing up to be a top 2 pick by years end?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal has us taking Langford - if his phantom draft in Nov stays the same then you can take it to the bank we are taking Langford.

I think this is a good pick for us - his size and aggression is a stand out. We have too many nice mids - put Langford and Wardlaw in the centre and it will make teams very jumpy.
Time to start accepting this. Unless Langford goes bezerk for Richmond VFL it’ll be…

Rich - Jagga
NM - Langford
WC - Finn

đź•şđź•şđź•ş

Colby had an off day with the testing - he's got a better set of wheels than the Warlord or Zane
Not sure about that re Wardlaw.……someone, can’t remember who, ran away from Colby on the weekend bouncing the ball. I was surprised Colby didn’t reel em in. He’s definitely “elite quick” but I think his lateral movement is electric so he looks quicker. Warlord’s first few steps are nuts

Not sure about that re Wardlaw.……someone, can’t remember who, ran away from Colby on the weekend bouncing the ball. I was surprised Colby didn’t reel em in. He’s definitely “elite quick” but I think his lateral movement is electric so he looks quicker. Warlord’s first few steps are nuts
Was that going into the wc forward line? If so I thought that exact thing too

with the talk of langford, ive just revisited the youtube clips. hes a beautiful player. i wont be surprised at all if he goes pick 1. if not, id be very pleased to have him. youd certainly take him ahead of smillie.
Agree - he is much more aggressive and more physical than Smille. I would also be happy with Langford.

Why dont we get some of these kids to come and play for our VFL team? Tiggers have had FOS, Smith and Harvey Langford this weekend...as well as asking for Smillie...Whats our club up to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back