Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We definitely need more top shelf mids. Ignore anyone who says otherwise. So far we have LDU, Wardlaw, Sheezel, McKercher and maybe Powell. Not enough! We probably need 2 more who can also play another position for rotation purposes. Lalor, Draper, FOS, Langford for example.
We don't have to complete an AA midfield before we start on other parts of the ground. Also, I'd add Duursma to your list. He will also be a mid once he develops his tank. I think we see him as a Fyfe-type big bodied mid who can take those floating marks around the ground. Surely our 'best available' obsession doesn't go so far that we would have used pick 4 on a mid-sized forward when we already had Zurhaar, Curtis, Stevo, Taylor, Harvey.

No. Enough of the AI bs spam. I want to read analysis from the people who know shit not paragraphs of lazy posts that take up half a page
LoL...you are like screaming at the sky! At least poster here put the Ai they have used unfortunately mate, there are Ai chatbots used to influence people and some of them are that good that uni's have invested in detection Ai to detect Ai written material, some have even called to go back to pen and paper...images/video very very good and hard to detect..have a look at chairmanzia's post:p
You talking about AI being able to pass a Turing test? Where by a computer can trick a person into thinking it's output is that of a Human?

Happens all the time in real life to real people you only need to look as far as AI generated news articles.

in fact, I'd wager that if people in this thread had not declared some of their posts as being from AI and rather just things they wrote about potential draftees, there would have been next to no questions about the posts being generated by AI.

That 70 year old test is probably a low bar to get over with Today's technology. In all honesty a better question about it would likely be can an AI trick another AI into thinking its output is that of a Human.
A lot of NFL/NCAA team's as well as AFL teams are using AI and data analytics combined to give them suggestions on players that are likely to succeed and also look beyond the high talent to pick those sleeper talents and this is the AFL team using such systems.

So, if you can get all of Champion Data stats database and Premier Data and have an advance AI to plug this enormous load of data to spit out the likely players they should target that fits whatever teams strategy, culture, structure etc.l just hope North are leveraging this tech as it's already here in the AFL.

If we went down that path, I would even go Armstrong, Berry and another KPP with 40 then River with pick 100 or Rookie.

Use F2nd for Jack Macrae this year and we can pick up another good mid through FA or pick 4-8 in 2025 ND.
Best future scenario that I've seen on here, we get our experienced midfielder, we get the best key forward in the draft and we get the best small forward in the draft, other picks could be optional but something like this makes perfect sense, good effort Sherm! :thumbsu: Edit: Just saw shinboner magic post the same thing, same compliments to you to magic!

Last edited:
I can understand the various perspectives on our draft strategy, a lot of which involve prioritising a KPF, including trading down to do that and also gaining another pick in the top 20. Along with that line of thinking is a critique that our 'midfield' first strategy of the last few years has been flawed, and/or with the assumption that our midfield group is complete (or near complete) and we need to prioritise other lines.

To my thinking, our midfield group is not the finished article, partly because of the loss of Thomas. We've got 3 genuine elite midfielders (or potentially elite) - LDU, George and Harry (I don't count Colby, who's more outside IMO). Phillips may or may not come on (or even be on the list), Jy may recover form, Powell looks like settling as part of the rotation but isn't shaping as an outright star (and may be better long term at HB)

So overall, I think the CBA mid group remains skinny, meaning I've got no problem with taking another at pick 2. Whether that's Draper, or a 'big body' (Langford or Lalor), I wouldn't claim to know - I think at that point of the draft, you have to go with the best talent. On the other hand if on the talent ranking that happened to be Armstrong as a KPF, then fair enough, but IMO you have to got on talent that high in the draft. And finally, in terms of 'need', this does look to be a draft where there's going to be a quality KPF at our second - you'd have to be confident that one of Shanahan, 2 x Whitlocks, Faull or Gerreyn would still be around 21 or 22

Each to their own, but I'd have no issue taking Draper at 2 and then seeing what's available at our next pick

I can understand the various perspectives on our draft strategy, a lot of which involve prioritising a KPF, including trading down to do that and also gaining another pick in the top 20. Along with that line of thinking is a critique that our 'midfield' first strategy of the last few years has been flawed, and/or with the assumption that our midfield group is complete (or near complete) and we need to prioritise other lines.

To my thinking, our midfield group is not the finished article, partly because of the loss of Thomas. We've got 3 genuine elite midfielders (or potentially elite) - LDU, George and Harry (I don't count Colby, who's more outside IMO). Phillips may or may not come on (or even be on the list), Jy may recover form, Powell looks like settling as part of the rotation but isn't shaping as an outright star (and may be better long term at HB)

So overall, I think the CBA mid group remains skinny, meaning I've got no problem with taking another at pick 2. Whether that's Draper, or a 'big body' (Langford or Lalor), I wouldn't claim to know - I think at that point of the draft, you have to go with the best talent. On the other hand if on the talent ranking that happened to be Armstrong as a KPF, then fair enough, but IMO you have to got on talent that high in the draft. And finally, in terms of 'need', this does look to be a draft where there's going to be a quality KPF at our second - you'd have to be confident that one of Shanahan, 2 x Whitlocks, Faull or Gerreyn would still be around 21 or 22

Each to their own, but I'd have no issue taking Draper at 2 and then seeing what's available at our next pick
I think you’re right. I think our focus should be to somehow claim another second rounder to pick a small forward or second KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re right. I think our focus should be to somehow claim another second rounder to pick a small forward or second KPF.
I don't disagree about another R2, but the whole industry seems to be in love with this draft down to 30 odd, so finding the trade partner will be the hard part

I don't disagree about another R2, but the whole industry seems to be in love with this draft down to 30 odd, so finding the trade partner will be the hard part
yeah I don’t know how it would work. But it would be good for us to end up with either two extra KPFs or small forwards (includes River) not sure what will be available at our third.

If we downgraded our pick to 6+11.
Would Lalor be there at 6 and then one of Armstrong /berry at 11 and then kpp at our second rounder

Unsure due to the weird year it is. Don’t think Gold Coast make that trade but re: Lalor.

I have him highly due to his skillset, exposed form isn’t there as much but I think he’s a quite well-rounded player. I think the rarity of his skillset compared to other mids around him (his burst from congestion, ability to play forward and class) means that he will be a hot commodity come year end. I think he has a lot more scope for development to become a star than Langford for example, who I would have in the teens off of personal preference.

I have no inside links but I’d assume Adelaide is his peak at 4, Richmond will be interested if they get 6, and then everyone after that I think he’s too good to pass up.

Personally I’d take him at 4 if we traded back with Adelaide, presuming FOS is off the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back