Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the last two weeks has shown how fragile our midfield still is.

I’m not sure we are reaching the promised land with any of Powell, Phillips or Jy as our starting midfield.

Leaves LDU, Sheez, Wardlaw and Colby. We need another gun mid from this pick 2 IMO.

Powell can go to half back and Jy might have to go forward or maybe a wing. Will Phil is in strife.
You don't have to build your midfield around 5 or 6 guns that do everything - like say early 2000's Brisbane. Geelong are sitting third with a bog average looking midfield of Holmes, Bruhn, and Bowes. Danger, Stewart and Atkins take the centre bounces, but the other guys go to work after that. We need to work out a structure and game plan to suit our gun player's strengths and recruit players to compliment them. Not every midfielder needs to be a top five pick.

You don't have to build your midfield around 5 or 6 guns that do everything - like say early 2000's Brisbane. Geelong are sitting third with a bog average looking midfield of Holmes, Bruhn, and Bowes. Danger, Stewart and Atkins take the centre bounces, but the other guys go to work after that. We need to work out a structure and game plan to suit our gun player's strengths and recruit players to compliment them. Not every midfielder needs to be a top five pick.
I’d be argue you can pick up other positions with latter picks/rookies than gun mids. Larkey, Treacy, Miochek just to name a few elite tall forwards as an example.

We need elite another elite mid IMO and if thats FOS or whoever that’s what we should be.

I think realistically top 10 and top 20. higher the top 10 the lower the top 20.

Its an even draft class and all teams are aware. Honestly i would trade back with Adelaide to pick 4 for their 2nd rounder linked to another club

Honestly our biggest mistake in the Phillips draft not trading back
So many mistakes in that draft. I'd say the biggest was recruiting three small inside mids in a row. Followed by taking a wing/half-back who had never played in front of the ball and decide to recruit him to play as a small forward.

So many mistakes in that draft. I'd say the biggest was recruiting three small inside mids in a row. Followed by taking a wing/half-back who had never played in front of the ball and decide to recruit him to play as a small forward.
Ha ha well that is also a fair point. LMAC draft and not trading up or down so essentially just using pick on LMAC?

I’d be argue you can pick up other positions with latter picks/rookies than gun mids. Larkey, Treacy, Miochek just to name a few elite tall forwards as an example.

We need elite another elite mid IMO and if thats FOS or whoever that’s what we should be.
How's that working out?
Rawling couldn't draft a roughy if his life depended on it.

Treacy has Amiss (pick 8) and Jackson (Pick 2), who are surrounded by mediums and smalls.

Mihocek has McStay (Pick 35), and they have plenty of smalls, too.

We need genuine 1st round kpp talent.

We could have drafted Treacy, but Rawling The Great selected hall of famer Sir Patrick Walker instead...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It sounds utterly bonkers to suggest another 182cm midfielder (I think we'd have to try and find a way to get rid of Powell, preferably with Rachele coming back the other way), but after today, do we have a choice other than Draper? Mature temperament with natural leadership traits (whatshisface never had those), and pace, agility and a defensive edge to burn? Sheezel needs help. I don't see him getting it from anyone else near the top

How many gun mids in the team that just smashed us? 1? 2, at a stretch. They aren't as important as you seem to think.

How's that working out?
Rawling couldn't draft a roughy if his life depended on it.

Treacy has Amiss (pick 8) and Jackson (Pick 2), who are surrounded by mediums and smalls.

Mihocek has McStay (Pick 35), and they have plenty of smalls, too.

We need genuine 1st round kpp talent.

We could have drafted Treacy, but Rawling The Great selected hall of famer Sir Patrick Walker instead...

Theres one of those in next years draft rated in the top 3 in Ludowyke. This year any key forwards are boosted up the order because of a lack of them at the pointy end. Plenty of good potential in this years group, just not naturally challenging for the top spot. Give him 3-4 years that even the JUH type talents need, then he'll be ready to start taking over from Larkey.

Smalls can impact almost immediately, ie Watson. Sadly none at the pointy end again other than Draper who is also a mid/ fwd.

Last edited:
If I had to bet, if we don't split the pick I would say Richmond take FOS at #1 and we take Draper at #2.

The Gold Coast with #6 and #11 currently, a Lombard bid looming and a history of poor trades, looks the most likely target if we wanted to move back. We'd probably have to throw something back their way, but it's a deal that makes complete sense for both parties. We'd have to compete with Geelong's offer of trading a third-round pick for all of #6, #11, and Noah Anderson, which I'm sure the Suns are seriously contemplating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday was horrendous. We need KPP, smalls, defenders, speed. How long do we have to sit at the bottom. Great draft this year we need to get it right. Get in young state league players. Get in kids that missed in the last year or 2 that are performing well. Just Farken get anyone in that will help get us out of the bottom 4. heck me. heck!

At this point I would like:

Draper at 2
M Whitlock at 22

At 40 it’s a bit more of who falls but my targets would be:
Gerryn, Mraz, O’Farrell as KPP if one slips

Jaques, Grego as genuine smaller defender types
Alger, Unwin, Hannaford as small forwards but with both the small defenders and forwards listed may be able to get them as rookies.

Would be looking to definitely try to rookie the best mature age small forward (or 2) out there. Just look for the right traits.

Just imagine what we could do with the pick 19 and 20 we traded away in this draft. Damn you GC, cost us Reid and over inflated our expectations.

At this point I would like:

Draper at 2
M Whitlock at 22

At 40 it’s a bit more of who falls but my targets would be:
Gerryn, Mraz, O’Farrell as KPP if one slips

Jaques, Grego as genuine smaller defender types
Alger, Unwin, Hannaford as small forwards but with both the small defenders and forwards listed may be able to get them as rookies.

Would be looking to definitely try to rookie the best mature age small forward (or 2) out there. Just look for the right traits.

If our draft hand remains the same I hope we go the same way. Shanahan/M.Whitlock as a KPP at 22 would be good value. Sims @40 would also be a solid option.

I’d add Evan Bradley as a potential small forward too. I really like his speed and natural goal sense. Josh Dolan another, but I’d really like to see his speed testing, no doubting his footy IQ though.

Jacques is definitely one that is high on my list as a defensive lock down type who can also intercept. Along with Grego, I really like Pat Retschko as a genuine utility. Some of the other half backs who are going to represent some value later on in the draft would be Harry Oliver, and Harry Charleson.

Some midfielders who’d be worth a look with later draft picks would be Pheonix Hargreaves, Hugh Boxshall (really rate his run and carry) and Cody Anderson (defensive intensity)

While we do need to cull our list, our main issues are no effective game plan and poor fitness. This is the responsibility of the football dept.
100% correct.
It all starts we could have Cripps , Daicos & the Bont on our list but the game plan , poor fitness & attitude is not there …
Then we would still be a bottom 2 side …
It’s just not all in getting the draft picks & trades right …

What we need is a few 150+ gamers that will tell the playing group how it is. Push standards, train hard, and play hard. Hard but fair types that will lead the way. Types that will call out the shit whilst praising excellence.

The culture may be fantastic inside the club, but it's certainly not based on elite performance, competitiveness, and a desire to win.

It seems from the outside to based on good vibes, bum taps, and telling each other were just about to turn the corner.

Clarko needs to have a good look at himself over the off-season.

Unsure due to the weird year it is. Don’t think Gold Coast make that trade but re: Lalor.

I have him highly due to his skillset, exposed form isn’t there as much but I think he’s a quite well-rounded player. I think the rarity of his skillset compared to other mids around him (his burst from congestion, ability to play forward and class) means that he will be a hot commodity come year end. I think he has a lot more scope for development to become a star than Langford for example, who I would have in the teens off of personal preference.

I have no inside links but I’d assume Adelaide is his peak at 4, Richmond will be interested if they get 6, and then everyone after that I think he’s too good to pass up.

Personally I’d take him at 4 if we traded back with Adelaide, presuming FOS is off the board.
Yeah agree with lalor - have him second after fos but Draper is catching him.

We need to get another 3 picks into 40 somehow
Need a small forward and another 2 kpps

A tough game for the Panthers and a tough game for Sid Draper, the first SANFL game this year in which he's struggled to have an impact. He appeared to be put off his game at center bounce early by the bigger and more experienced Glenelg mids that pushed him off his run at the ball. As a result he never really got going, and was eventually moved out of the middle to play off a forward flank in the second half, which starved him of opportunities with Glenelg dominating territory. He still managed one sequence where he burst clear and broke the lines with elite pace and agility before dishing off to create a goal for his teammate.

100% correct.
It all starts we could have Cripps , Daicos & the Bont on our list but the game plan , poor fitness & attitude is not there …
Then we would still be a bottom 2 side …
It’s just not all in getting the draft picks & trades right …

I'm willing to give that trio a dash without any other changes. "Different kettle of fish" those three.

So it's very well known that, barring a few exceptions, our best 22 is full of blokes who are physically weak. The problem is that those blokes are also not excellent runners.

And yet we draft a lot of blokes who need to put on a bunch of mass AND who don't have a tank at all.

I'm not expert but I'd say it is very hard to simultaneously improve both of those things to the standard required of AFL footy when you're behind the 8 ball to start with. And it's not like other teams don't get fitter and stronger also.

So with that in mind - who of this lot of potential pick 2s is either an elite runner, or very physically developed?

Oakleigh vs Sandy numbers

J.Smith - 33 disposals, 2 goals, 8 marks, 2 tackles,5 i50s
FOS - 18 disposals, kicked 3.2 ,4 marks, 3 tackles, 4 i50s
M.Reid - 25 disposals. 1 goal, 3 marks, 1 tackles, 4 i 50s
L.Ashcroft - 17 disposals, 3 tackles
H.Armstong - 6 disposals, kicked 1.1, 3 marks

Best Players
Louis Emmett, Finn O’Sullivan, Jagga Smith, Waylon Davey, Patrick Retschko, Liam Callaghan

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back