Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any other thoughts on the game? Standouts ect? I haven’t watched it yet, but a mate said that Langford’s disposal was a bit wasteful. He still must’ve had an impact though as he had the most disposals on the ground.

I’ve been a big wrap on Langford for most of this year, but with his lack of speed, I don’t think he’d be in our shortlist. He reminds me a lot of Jack Ziebell, but with more finesse in his disposal.

Champion & Kako both play with a bit of flair and confidence in their game but they don’t quite have that confident swagger of Greene or Papley. Shame they are both NGA.

Evan Bradley plays with a bit of confidence but is likely to only be a rookie pick.
Don't get me wrong. Langford was serviceable and will obviously go in the top 10. I just hope and pray that we don't pick him.

The standout was Duursma as a bottom ager.

Honourable mentions Tauru, Hopkins.

There is a man mountain playing at FF for Dandenong called Tairon. Kicked 3. If he can get fit he would be a weapon. I believe he is pushing 200cm.

There won't be many players from these two teams taken at the draft..

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Surely you jest….

Mahony, Perez, Powell, Phillips, Lazzaro, Ford, Walker, Ham, George, Harvey, Drury. Not exactly a list of players with outstanding or even noticeable speed….

and that’s only going back 3 years!
Mahony and Perez were drafted five years ago but anyway, Mahony and Phillips both have 11.5 second 100m times as 16 year olds. Its not lightning fast but pretty fast.

Fast runners drafted in the last three drafts - Horne Francis, Goater, Wardlaw, some of BGeorge's highlights he looks fast but who knows now, McKercher, Goad and Hardeman. KDawson, Payne and RHJ can all get some speed up too.

Regardless even Duursma thought he was going to the hawks, they would have drafted him had he been at there pick. Wizard would have been Mahony 2.0 in our forward line this year
I must be missing something Everyone on here or most at least are saying we need a small forward but in the next breath saying if he played for us in our forward line he would be no good then what's the point in drafting him if he is going to be no good in our forward line, I have heard this numerous times on here makes me laugh every time i read it.

Surely you jest….

Mahony, Perez, Powell, Phillips, Lazzaro, Ford, Walker, Ham, George, Harvey, Drury. Not exactly a list of players with outstanding or even noticeable speed….

and that’s only going back 3 years!
Looking at geelong and hawks this week its ball speed rather than leg speed moving the ball, bit like footscray in their premiership year, relasing the ball fast to a supporting teamate, pop the next handball out rince repeat, cunnington and greg williams were not quick but their hands were.

But they seem to have stamina where ther run and link up all game.

Wizard wouldn’t have gone anywhere near his levels last night in our forward line this year - let’s just let the Duursma operation come to fulfilment over the next 3-4 years then we can comment on the Wizard v Duursma selection. Every club in the AFL would have selected Duursma over Wizard last year if they had the option.
Can we not call him the wizard? There is and will only ever be one Wizard. He aint no ****ing wizard

I must be missing something Everyone on here or most at least are saying we need a small forward but in the next breath saying if he played for us in our forward line he would be no good then what's the point in drafting him if he is going to be no good in our forward line, I have heard this numerous times on here makes me laugh every time i read it.
Stems from our inability to develop.
Will take a proven opp one though👍

Yeah some very good picks there Watto looks great and what we needed but i am still happy with Zane at the moment Philactides not sure about him is he on a list Logan Morris Looks promising as well and Schoenmaker had a few good games but still happy with who we took.
How good was Morris. The kid is gonna be a beast. His aerial contested marking is it exactly what we needed. He’s miles off his ceiling. He could be the next Johno Brown. Philactides is at BH. He’s had a decent year and played in their final as a high HF. Kicked a nice goal. The game vs us is imprinted in my brain when he ran down Stevo and HJnr.
We just need to get some high speed in as a priority. GWS, Hawks, Swans, lions Pies and even Freo have proven what speed from the back half does. Yes Sheez can distribute buts he’s not quick. Last night Carlton tried to get it in Saad’s hands but the lions shut that down. It shows teams need multiple players with speed from the back half. I don’t want a mid that has to start his first 2 years down back. I really like Langford for our first pick. Bont attributes. Backend get speed in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't draft key forwards because they take too long to develop. Whilst Dear, Morris and Cadman seemed to go okay this weekend, in their first and second years, we should ignore that. Best we take another inside mid, get an old spud tall to fill for a year or two and hope we can get a gun as a free agent some time down the track.

We can't draft key forwards because they take too long to develop. Whilst Dear, Morris and Cadman seemed to go okay this weekend, in their first and second years, we should ignore that. Best we take another inside mid, get an old spud tall to fill for a year or two and hope we can get a gun as a free agent some time down the track.

The kids as so professional these days, even talls can impact relatively quickly, just so long as they aren’t 70kg and needs two years to put on a decent amount of bulk.

It’s why I’m keen on both Shanahan & Gerreyn, both have had exposure to the bigger bodies in the VFL and WAFL and both handled themselves pretty well (Shanahan in particular).

Whilst completely ignoring that big gapping whole that is small forwards on our list..

Yeah we all know what’s going to happen, Mid first pick and the medium forward slider who could’ve gone top 10 with our second.

Bingo. Shanahan in particular will play afl footy next year wherever he ends up.

Theres one who'll take less time, but yes your right in general they take time.

The speed and hardness of Draper has to be hard to pass over imo, we're crying out for it. But if we were to split pick 2, we could end up with Trainor/Armstong then Berry/Hotton and GMan at 22.

Trainor would be ready to go as a third tall, releasing Chom. I dont think it would take Armstrong that long before making an impact either. Berry/ Hotton skills and pace. Then we know what i think about the GMan.

Im usually against splitting but this time i must admit i see the merits in it and torn on which way is best.

Whilst completely ignoring that big gapping whole that is small forwards on our list..

Yeah we all know what’s going to happen, Mid first pick and the medium forward slider who could’ve gone top 10 with our second.
If we took Draper he'd easily play fwd/ mid next year adding much needed pace n skills to our fwd line. Get Rosas and get RHJ in the gym and working on his tackling. We could also move McKercher up to a FF and play Simpkin more fwd.

We've got options to change the structure of our fwd line.

All the watchers of the under 18s who is the best big bodied midfielder? And who is the best all round midfielder as in skillful, footy smarts speed?

Big bodied contested midfielder would be Langford, but he is a bit on the slow/lumbering side. Bit like Ziebell. Smillie would be next best, he’ll be a big body once he fills out but doesn’t play like an inside midfielder, more of a first receiver which is unique considering he is 194cm.

Best all round mid would be FOS, but he has limited exposure this year due to injury, Draper next best then Jagga Smith imo.

The kids as so professional these days, even talls can impact relatively quickly, just so long as they aren’t 70kg and needs two years to put on a decent amount of bulk.

It’s why I’m keen on both Shanahan & Gerreyn, both have had exposure to the bigger bodies in the VFL and WAFL and both handled themselves pretty well (Shanahan in particular).
We still need patients with any KPF though as you would no better than most. Look at Walter this year as a good example going to be awesome all ready a man mountain physically but still needs time.

Theres one who'll take less time, but yes your right in general they take time.

The speed and hardness of Draper has to be hard to pass over imo, we're crying out for it. But if we were to split pick 2, we could end up with Trainor/Armstong then Berry/Hotton and GMan at 22.

Trainor would be ready to go as a third tall, releasing Chom. I dont think it would take Armstrong that long before making an impact either. Berry/ Hotton skills and pace. Then we know what i think about the GMan.

Im usually against splitting but this time i must admit i see the merits in it and torn on which way is best.
I was being facetious. As a general rule, talls don't take any longer than inside mids. Cunners, LDU, still waiting for Powell and Phillips. Players like Wardlaw are very rare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back