Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Big bodied contested midfielder would be Langford, but he is a bit on the slow/lumbering side. Bit like Ziebell. Smillie would be next best, he’ll be a big body once he fills out but doesn’t play like an inside midfielder, more of a first receiver which is unique considering he is 194cm.

Best all round mid would be FOS, but he has limited exposure this year due to injury, Draper next best then Jagga Smith imo.
Any of the big bodies need to have that burst speed like an LDU, Trac, DeGoey. Lalor probably the closest to that imo. Draper has it all bar the big body.

How good was Morris. The kid is gonna be a beast. His aerial contested marking is it exactly what we needed. He’s miles off his ceiling. He could be the next Johno Brown. Philactides is at BH. He’s had a decent year and played in their final as a high HF. Kicked a nice goal. The game vs us is imprinted in my brain when he ran down Stevo and HJnr.
We just need to get some high speed in as a priority. GWS, Hawks, Swans, lions Pies and even Freo have proven what speed from the back half does. Yes Sheez can distribute buts he’s not quick. Last night Carlton tried to get it in Saad’s hands but the lions shut that down. It shows teams need multiple players with speed from the back half. I don’t want a mid that has to start his first 2 years down back. I really like Langford for our first pick. Bont attributes. Backend get speed in.
Philactides was the fastest hurdler for his age in the country, was Vic champion and also had a medal from the 100m from state champs. He is very fast. Dunno what his footy is like but if he's at BH then they see something in him at Hawthorn so we should probably chase him. (He is fast tho so might need a vehicle to catch him lol.)

Armstrong works so hard between the arcs. Has 3 before 3/4 time.
Very Jeremy Cameron like.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

I think Duursma is our long term big-bodied mid, just needs a few years and a lot of weights for him to turn into Nat Fyfe.
Perhaps and im not against it. But we often hear complaints on turning mids into flankers, while we turn our quality flankers into mids. Both Sheez and Duursma were fwds. Versatility is important and almost every non key position needs to play with at least some midfield traits. Thats why we could take another such as Lalor who could play another position. Draper can do the same as fwd but not that big body.

Im not saying its the highest priority i think we probably need Draper or splitting for Armstrong or Trainor and some zip more. Along with Duursma we've got Goater who could fill that requirement as well, and/or both of them taking a wing time. Tbh Duursma has so much natural fwd craft it would be a shame to use him other than pinch hitting in the middle.

If we can get our mids in LDU, Powell, Sheez, Wardlaw, Simpkin really humming we'd be in a good position to play them on wings or at least one of them. McKercher, Draper, Rosas, RHJ could all be mainly fwds for a few years playing the fast small fwd roles.

Armstrong works so hard between the arcs. Has 3 before 3/4 time.
Very Jeremy Cameron like.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
Yeah its interesting, i saw that in him too while others see him more a lead up FF. I haven't seen this game, but thats the sort we need who works hard up the ground.

FOS very good early. Tom Gross playing exclusively forward and very dangerous, converted a nice set shot for Oakleigh’s first. Jagga took a while to get into the game, his movement is first class, disposal leaving a bit to be desired. Dattoli quiet in the middle for Northern other than a wayward shot at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm intrigued by Oliver Hannaford. 6 goals and 15 disposals vs the Falcons. Only the 1 tackle, which sits well below his average, but he just seems to be a competitive small forward with great pressure. Hasn't been invited to the combine, so his draft chances will be almost entirely dependent on his performances.

If we split pick 2 shanahan is the KPF I want
You take trainor and him

Remind me again, why do we need another key back?

Logue, Corr, Comben, Biggie lol, Dawson & Dawson? And we prefer to only really play two.

I just don't get it. Whilst I understand the need for developing players in that position, I don't understand the need to use significant draft capital to achieve it.

We'd be better off using that capital on a need!

How good was Morris. The kid is gonna be a beast. His aerial contested marking is it exactly what we needed. He’s miles off his ceiling. He could be the next Johno Brown. Philactides is at BH. He’s had a decent year and played in their final as a high HF. Kicked a nice goal. The game vs us is imprinted in my brain when he ran down Stevo and HJnr.
We just need to get some high speed in as a priority. GWS, Hawks, Swans, lions Pies and even Freo have proven what speed from the back half does. Yes Sheez can distribute buts he’s not quick. Last night Carlton tried to get it in Saad’s hands but the lions shut that down. It shows teams need multiple players with speed from the back half. I don’t want a mid that has to start his first 2 years down back. I really like Langford for our first pick. Bont attributes. Backend get speed in.
When The General talks you better listen to him

Remind me again, why do we need another key back?

Logue, Corr, Comben, Biggie lol, Dawson & Dawson? And we prefer to only really play two.

I just don't get it. Whilst I understand the need for developing players in that position, I don't understand the need to use significant draft capital to achieve it.

We'd be better off using that capital on a need!
Corr ageing, Logue isn't a sure thing, Dawson 19, the other Dawson a back up, Al probably prefers Chom fwd...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely you jest….

Mahony, Perez, Powell, Phillips, Lazzaro, Ford, Walker, Ham, George, Harvey, Drury. Not exactly a list of players with outstanding or even noticeable speed….

and that’s only going back 3 years!
I think Laz is quick enough but yes SEVEN are still on the list as we type .
It’s a major problem and until we sort it we’re going to struggle.

We are our own worst enemy .

I must be missing something Everyone on here or most at least are saying we need a small forward but in the next breath saying if he played for us in our forward line he would be no good then what's the point in drafting him if he is going to be no good in our forward line, I have heard this numerous times on here makes me laugh every time i read it.

I suggest it is to do with the dills who are comparing him with Duursma. Watto is playing in a much better side with much better cohesion. They mean if Watto was at North a kick he wouldn’t get due to us being shites poor second cousin .

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back