Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Big morning for our future 1st.

Massive top end talent on display here today.

The guys I’ll be watching for intently.

Mids - Onley, Greeves, Sharp, Rodriguez
Talls - Emmett, Duff-Tytler, Ludowyke, Ah-Mu, Curtin, Duursma

I see a fair bit of the Wardlaw in draper.. is that a fair comparison?
I would've thought Wardlaw harder in the contest in and under type, Draper more a run carry line breaker. Both hard at it, just Wardlaw seems to thrive in the coal face, Draper more on the outside. Both have speed, Wardlaw in a short burst and Draper more sustained to do that line breaking damage.
Just how i see it anyway.

I would've thought Wardlaw harder in the contest in and under type, Draper more a run carry line breaker. Both hard at it, just Wardlaw seems to thrive in the coal face, Draper more on the outside. Both have speed, Wardlaw in a short burst and Draper more sustained to do that line breaking damage.
Just how i see it anyway.
Disposal out of 10

Mornin Scout . Just interested in your opinion. If we where to split 2 would you be prepared to take Houston with one of those picks and miss out on either Armstrong or a Berry Hanniford type. My opinion is i would rather the picks at the moment. Maybe i am to obsess with this years Draft talent.
Interesting question pup, there is no right or wrong answer here because there are positives and negatives in both scenarios. As you can see from peoples responses its divided, my opinion is not of getting too attached to a player but when it comes down to Harry I believe he can be a one of the best key forwards in the AFL, so while other people think there is not much difference between the key forwards it all comes down to preference.

For arguments sake say we split and get picks 6 & 12 and we give overs in pick 6 to get Dan, as pick 12, well if that's what we tried then Dan's going to Carlton, then I would be quite surprised if Harry is there at that pick so you'd be looking at your next choice at that pick and while some might think its too early I would select Jack Whitlock, as I believe Kayle might go early second round but this is where intel is extremely important as to who likes certain players and getting a gauge at what pick they might go at.

There are going to be some surprise picks in the first round but to supporters only, as most not all recruiters will rate some players a lot higher than some people think. I love this draft and either way its going to be exciting, I would do that deal and I've heard the reasons for and against but an all Australian defender too our defence plus a key forward like Jack Whitlock or even Kayle Gerreyn would be quite hard to pass up.

If we go picks in the draft we might not like Harry like some clubs do so that opens up all possibilities, so many directions to go it seems endless doesn't it? After the trade period it might become a little clearer and closer to the draft in what picks we end up having, but then we could be trading picks on draft night, "its the never ending story", I had to do that! ;)

gc getting uwland next year is a joke

Change the academy rules
I've been thinking about this.
I like how they changed the dvi it will work better.
But I would also change the discount for the first round.
The team who finished last gets a 18% discount.
The team who wins the gf gets a 1% discount.
My big issue is Brisbane getting essentially a pick 1 while being a top 2 team.
I reckon it would work. Make it really hard for them to match and pretty much make it impossible for them to get 2 first rounders in any year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The physiques on some of these kids is ridiculous. Uwland and Onley look like they could play AFL tomorrow.

Ah-Mu has legs like tree trunks.
Obviously haven’t been anywhere near anyone we’ve drafted.

Ludowyke looking better this quarter kicks the sealer after a big mark

Duursma playing midfield this quarter, surprisingly versatile

I don’t think we should be trading our future first, the top end looks stronger next year (Sharp, Duursma, Ludowyke, Greeves, Onley, Dalton, duff-tytler, hetherton, Josh lindsay)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back